#1 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

I'm sure there is some earlier game that could be classified as Masocore that I'm not thinking of, but at the very least it seems to be the first indie game to be classified as such.

#2 Edited by MattyFTM (14327 posts) -

The Jumper games are pretty masocorey, and they came out before IWBTG. IWBTG is almost certainly the most masocorey masocore game though, and it may be where the term originated, but I'm not sure.

#3 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Kaizo probably did the actual inventing.

#4 Posted by destruktive (1068 posts) -

It does seem to be the trendsetter at least.

#5 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

The N game was kinda masocore, but probably not as much as IWBTG.

#6 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

No early magaman games did

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35780 posts) -
This is responsible for masocore.
#8 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

It was ET.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

Nope. Next question.

Brilliant.

I didnt even know that masocore was a thing. I swear there are almost as many game genres as there are ridiculous metal genres. To answer your question. No.

#10 Posted by elessarLOTR (58 posts) -

No. But it sure does a fine job defining the genre. If anyone asked me what masocore was i'd just tell them to play IWBTG and Super Meat Boy.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

Don't worry about which was first. Just add any games that fit the concept. When the new site launches, the first game will be chosen automatically based on release date.

This blog by Anna Anthropy seems to have popularized the term, though it was apparently coined by someone else in a forum earlier. She cites Super Mario Bros. 2 (The Lost Levels) as masocore, and that one predates Takeshi's Challenge by nine months.

#12 Posted by lightsoda (540 posts) -

Really?

#13 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

The first few Megaman games, along with Ghost n Goblins... most games used to be insanely difficult, IWBTG is just capturing that and being funny with it.