Did SNES really have better Graphics than Genesis? (Topic is SIX YEARS OLD)

• 73 results
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Because im looking at some Genesis and SNES games, and the Genesis looks better. was it only certain games that looked better on SNES? Because, Aladdin looked better on Genesis. Was it just the SNES had ebtter colors? Is that why people said its games looked better than genesis? What are some game that showcased this better graphics?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By carlthenimrod

They are essentially the same. SNES was technically more powerful I believe but it didn't really matter.

Joe Montana Sports Talk Football RIP

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Yes, and we've had this thread before too, but not by you I think.  Aladdin is one of the rare exceptions.  SNES was quite a bit more technically capable.  Ignoring Super FX2 chip games like Yoshi's Island, there's stuff like Donkey Kong Country.  However most SNES games simply displayed more colors than Genesis could on a technical level, so almost every game could be an example.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By eclipsesis

Genesis is better simply because of Blast processing.

lol Sega how you crack me up.

I think the SNES was slightly superior, think back to games such as Donkey Kong Country and Star Fox which were crazy good looking games but i can't think of a Genesis equivalent. 

dingraha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dingraha

mode7 Bro, mode7.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Diamond said:
Aladdin is one of the rare exceptions.
Especially since they were two different games made by two different companies using two different methods. That's the reason.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By dbz1995

With most games, SNES and Genesis looked about the same. However, the better looking games on SNES (KI, DK, and Chrono Trigger) looked much better than the best looking Genesis games.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By Spiritof

I'd put it this way; Genesis graphics were passable and it was a great system for shooters, but SNES graphics were just more vibrant and it had WAY better sound capabilities than the Genesis.

Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yelix
@eclipsesis said:
"

Genesis is better simply because of Blast processing.

lol Sega how you crack me up.

I think the SNES was slightly superior, think back to games such as Donkey Kong Country and Star Fox which were crazy good looking games but i can't think of a Genesis equivalent. 

"
Sega's answer to Donkey Kong Country was Vectorman, I guess. Both of them are totally graphics > gameplay, but I actually prefer Vectorman's gameplay over DKC. 

Anyway, yeah, the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis, both in terms of graphics and definitely in sound. I know the Genesis synth has a cult following and it definitely has its own sound, but the SNES was just capable of more clarity overall. 

SNES was overall a better console in just about every way.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#10  Edited By ImperiousRix

I think the SNES had smoother looking pixels and animations, not to mention the "Mode 7" and FX innovations of games like F-Zero and Starfox.

However, the Genesis seemed to be "faster", and had some nice looking particle effects.  Overall, though, I think the SNES has a leg up.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword

Would it be worth paying 40 bucks for one? Im trying to decide wether I want to pay 40 bucks for a SNES or not. Plus, i dont know where to get SNES games for cheap. Place I go to have most of them price 15 dollars up.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:
" Yes, and we've had this thread before too, but not by you I think.  Aladdin is one of the rare exceptions.  SNES was quite a bit more technically capable.  Ignoring Super FX2 chip games like Yoshi's Island, there's stuff like Donkey Kong Country.  However most SNES games simply displayed more colors than Genesis could on a technical level, so almost every game could be an example. "
This 
@Raven_Sword said:
" Would it be worth paying 40 bucks for one? "
For an SNES? Only if the games you want aren't available on Virtual Console
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turbomonkey138

I haven't seen this argument since the 90s  . My friend was Sega i was Nintendo . ironic now isn't it ?

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By yakov456
@Raven_Sword said:
" Would it be worth paying 40 bucks for one? Im trying to decide wether I want to pay 40 bucks for a SNES or not. Plus, i dont know where to get SNES games for cheap. Place I go to have most of them price 15 dollars up. "
If you want to collect games, I would say 40 is worth it for the SNES. Search around, I'm sure you can find SNES games for cheaper then their VC counterparts, plus you'll be collecting a REAL copy of the game.
Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Swaboo
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Diamond said:
Aladdin is one of the rare exceptions.
Especially since they were two different games made by two different companies using two different methods. That's the reason. "
that
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Raven_Sword said:

" Because im looking at some Genesis and SNES games, and the Genesis looks better. was it only certain games that looked better on SNES? Because, Aladdin looked better on Genesis. Was it just the SNES had ebtter colors? Is that why people said its games looked better than genesis? What are some game that showcased this better graphics? "

Genesis had a more limited colour palette but in some multi-platform games it ran in higher resolution.  Some SNES games had slowdown as a feature (including Donkey Kong; note how few sprites you encounter per screen in DK).   With too many sprites, it was very noticeable.   SNES had mode 7, Genesis had faster scrolling in their side scrollers (Sonic 1, which I like).  Genesis had smoother animation and bigger sprites in some games (Aladdin).  It's difficult to compare.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Siphillis

Two words: Blast Processing!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive

there was a great thread on the gaf about this. and snes won hands down in all of the graphics comparison photos. 

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@TwoOneFive said:
" there was a great thread on the gaf about this. and snes won hands down in all of the graphics comparison photos.  "
Yup.  Games are just static images on a screen....Wait, what?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That arguement is irrelevent nowdays, it's really about 2d art style and both graphics on those consoles are horrible. Quit living in the past.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Quit living in the past. "
Tell me why.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@teh_pwnzorer: figure it out yourself, maybe we are playing 3d games, it's like comparing 2d street fighter games. There is no difference they look almost the same and it's 2d and it's about pixels. Honestly who cares about the snes and genesis right now?
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Honestly who cares about the snes and genesis right now? "
Uhh, the original poster.   :P
HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Quit living in the past? That attitude is quite the exception, not the rule. Tens of millions of gamers are very content to live in a smaller but more vibrant version of the past, on their DSs, and console online services, every day.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By jeff

There was something raw and edgy about the way Genesis games looked back then. Sure, the SNES was capable of more colors and nifty effects, but I always thought that a lot of SNES games looked kind of blurry. 

And then there's the Mortal Kombat I debacle, where the Genesis game played like the arcade (but looked and sounded rotten) while the SNES version looked like the arcade version on a bad, fuzzy monitor, played like total garbage, and was a heavily edited version of the game. 

I don't know, the SNES is technically more powerful, but I always loved the way some Genesis games looked.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ
@HAMMERCLAW said:
" Quit living in the past? That attitude is quite the exception, not the rule. Tens of millions of gamers are very content to live in a smaller but more vibrant version of the past, on their DSs, and console online services, every day. "
This. Hitman isn't worthy of having the word "Agent" in his username!
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@AgentJ: You don't know me very well, I am way more famous than you on other sites. I have no idea who you are and I am offended you have an agent part of your name. I have been using this user name for years now. Also I used to argue about the genesis vs the snes way back then at school, when I argued the snes side because I thought genesis graphics were overly pixely.

How can anyone determine which one is better? I meant you have to count the pixels, it's color pallette and art design. It's all 2d and like these days, even like animation, that is irrelevent, your comparing 2d to 2d, which is all by which games has a better design.

Today games has half art design and half technical graphics like uncharted 2, that cartoony game, unlike crysis which doesn't use alot of art design. My point is this thread is irrelevent, we don't play 2d games as much anymore and I was arguing this in the seventh grade and we didn't have internet forums back then. Second of all, how are you going to possibly determine which one is technically better? You can't, it's art design vs another art design. They both are 16 bit consoles with really lousy graphics. Does anyone have the spec info for these two consoles and what it's capable of? Also screenshots of the games? I really don't care to look for it. Maybe I am so used to good graphics theses days, I can't stand 2d snes genesis games.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @AgentJ: You don't know me very well, I am way more famous than you on other sites. I have no idea who you are and I am offended you have an agent part of your name. I have been using this user name for years now. Also I used to argue about the genesis vs the snes way back then at school, when I argued the snes side.   How can anyone determine which one is better? I meant you have to count the pixels, it's color pallette and art design. It's all 2d and like these days, even like animation, that is irrelevent, your comparing 2d to 2d, which is all by which games has a better design.  Today games has half art design and half technical graphics like uncharted 2, that cartoony game, unlike crysis which doesn't use alot of art design. My point is this thread is irrelevent, we don't play 2d games as much anymore and I was arguing this in the seventh grade and we didn't have internet forums back then. Second of all, how are you going to possibly determine which one is technically better? You can't, it's art design vs another art design. They both are 16 bit consoles with really lousy graphics. Maybe I am so used to good graphics theses days, I can't stand 2d snes genesis games. "
I'm sure you are more famous on other sites. After all, the only other sites I use are obscure sports blogs.But really dude, it was a joke, so chill out a bit. I don't at all understand how someone could call 16 bit "lousy", but thats a matter of opinion. 
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By bonbolapti
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"@AgentJ: You don't know me very well, I am way more famous than you on other sites."

Can I have your autograph?
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By buzz_clik

Short answer:

Yes.

Longer answer:

There are still a lot of shitty looking SNES games, and when you stack up the quality titles for both machines it's hard to pick a clear victor. Some of my favourite games of all time pushed the MD / Genesis to do some insanely cool things. So that's still a 'yes', but the voting-with-my-heart winner is Sega's machine.
HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

The SNES was the perfect 16 bit system, but Sega's system had a charm all it's own. If you're into retro-gaming, both systems are well worth your attention. The fact That 2D gaming is STILL a multi-million dollar a year industry, seems to have escaped some people's attention.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By buzz_clik
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Honestly who cares about the snes and genesis right now? "
More people than your naive opinion would imply.
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By AlexB

The SNES peaked at DKC3. Go watch a video of the Giant Barrel Boss, looks incredible for its time. SNES was a little bit better looking, but really they were about the same.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Diamond
@Jeff said:
There was something raw and edgy about the way Genesis games looked back then. Sure, the SNES was capable of more colors and nifty effects, but I always thought that a lot of SNES games looked kind of blurry.  And then there's the Mortal Kombat I debacle, where the Genesis game played like the arcade (but looked and sounded rotten) while the SNES version looked like the arcade version on a bad, fuzzy monitor, played like total garbage, and was a heavily edited version of the game.  I don't know, the SNES is technically more powerful, but I always loved the way some Genesis games looked.
Can't say I'd agree with you on Mortal Kombat 1, but there were games like Contra Hard Corps and Sonic 3 that seemed to have more parallax scrolling and bigger bosses than SNES seemed capable of.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By TheHBK

I always did think that Genesis games looked worse but you need to really see it on games that were the same on the systems.  Street Fighter 2 and MK are good examples.  Ninja Turtles IV and the Hyper Stone Heist were essentially the same game but changes had to be made to the Genesis one.  For me there was just something special about the way the games on the genesis looked and sounded.
Also remember, the Genesis had Blast Processing.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By buzz_clik
@Jeff said:
" And then there's the Mortal Kombat I debacle, where the Genesis game played like the arcade (but looked and sounded rotten) while the SNES version looked like the arcade version on a bad, fuzzy monitor, played like total garbage, and was a heavily edited version of the game. "
Edited? Have you never hit a dude so hard that huge gobs of what-may-be-sweat flew out of him? That's not censorship, that's real life!
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By sjschmidt93

If it looks way better then it's way better. 

Who cares what anyone else thinks. 

If you think one has better graphics than the other then it does.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FesteringNeon

Genesis games always felt grainy, and raw.. but clear 

SNES, while more colorful, always felt like it had a slight film, or buffer over the top.
Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yelix
@Diamond said:
" @Jeff said:
There was something raw and edgy about the way Genesis games looked back then. Sure, the SNES was capable of more colors and nifty effects, but I always thought that a lot of SNES games looked kind of blurry.  And then there's the Mortal Kombat I debacle, where the Genesis game played like the arcade (but looked and sounded rotten) while the SNES version looked like the arcade version on a bad, fuzzy monitor, played like total garbage, and was a heavily edited version of the game.  I don't know, the SNES is technically more powerful, but I always loved the way some Genesis games looked.
Can't say I'd agree with you on Mortal Kombat 1, but there were games like Contra Hard Corps and Sonic 3 that seemed to have more parallax scrolling and bigger bosses than SNES seemed capable of. "
I think that was just an issue of better developers knowing how to use the console to the fullest. Sonic Team games always looked and sounded leagues better than most Genesis games. Just look at Ristar, their best game and a series that needs to be brought back, but with dreadlocks and Mike Patton like Bionic Commando.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Willy105

The SNES did not have better graphics than the Genesis.

That said, the SNES was a superior game console.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond
@Willy105 said:
" The SNES did not have better graphics than the Genesis.

That said, the SNES was a superior game console. "
but... but it did...
Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @AgentJ: You don't know me very well, I am way more famous than you on other sites. 
 I'm sorry, but this made me chuckle. Who the fuck cares if people know you on other sites? 
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#43  Edited By TobyD81

SNES had a broader color palette and more special effects available ( Mode 7 and such), and it tended to have better graphics than most Genesis games. Aladdin is an exception, but the two different versions were very different games, and the Genesis Aladdin used a newer, spiffier animation technique. But on the whole, SNES had better graphics.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ravensword
@Jeff:

Thanks Jeff. Im probaly going to get both eventually anyway (SNES and a Genesis). im mainly deciding which one I wanna get first. I may go SNES first, so I can get Star Fox and the other great nintendo games.
_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By _k1_

SNES games could look better, but Genesis games played better... essentially the SNES had better graphics hardware, but the Genesis had a better CPU.  This made the SNES look better and work passably for slow paced games like RPGs, but the SNES never fielded anything close to Sonic, and any of the real graphically advanced games had extra hardware in their carts.    

Because of the SNES's larger color pallet and higher resolution, SNES games will almost always look better in static screenshots, but that won't capture the feel of how they played.  Both have achieved classic console status in a way that neither of their next-generation consoles (N64 / Saturn) did.  Do you like 2D video games?  Get them both. 

@Jeff
said:

I don't know, the SNES is technically more powerful, but I always loved the way some Genesis games looked. "

I agree with this.  I'm not sure if it was the typical "blue skies/green earth" color scheme of classic Sega titles or what, but personally I've always liked the Genesis more. 
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Jeff said:

" There was something raw and edgy about the way Genesis games looked back then. Sure, the SNES was capable of more colors and nifty effects, but I always thought that a lot of SNES games looked kind of blurry. 

And then there's the I debacle, where the Genesis game played like the arcade (but looked and sounded rotten) while the SNES version looked like the arcade version on a bad, fuzzy monitor, played like total garbage, and was a heavily edited version of the game.  I don't know, the SNES is technically more powerful, but I always loved the way some Genesis games looked. "

kinda agree with this. While super mario rpg looks amazing. streets of rage 2... i dont need to say anymore.     
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Willy105
@Diamond said:

" @Willy105 said:

" The SNES did not have better graphics than the Genesis.

That said, the SNES was a superior game console. "
but... but it did... "
Well, let's do a simple exercise.

Let's play Super Mario World:

And now, let's play Sonic the Hedgehog:

It's obvious which has more colors on screens, more detail onscreen, and goes by more faster.

Of course, Super Mario World is a superior game, but not graphically.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By raddevon

The SNES had an odd technical limitation that prevented it from displaying blood. You'd think they would have caught that in QA. Weird.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GunnBjorn
@raddevon said:
"The SNES had an odd technical limitation that prevented it from displaying blood. You'd think they would have caught that in QA. Weird. "

They've corrected that with the release of MK II...
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE CAVES WON'T SAVE US!