Posted by christopherson329 (198 posts) 10 months, 4 days ago

Did Sony go to E3 and was just like my PS4 a 100 dollars cheaper than the XBONE (131 votes)

Yes 25%
No 44%
Possibly 31%

Does any one think sony came to E3 with out a price for PS4 and just said make it cheaper than the xbox

#1 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (644 posts) -

I get a feeling they had an idea for a price, at least a range, but weren't expecting Microsoft to announce their price. As a result Sony saw a way to further twist the knife and added it to their conference.

#2 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2141 posts) -

What?

Edit: Ah, had to reread that a few times. (Tired) I think they went into e3 knowing exactly what price they were shooting for.

#3 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

After rereading your question, I'm confused. I'll just say that they said they knew the price going into E3.

#4 Edited by mrpandaman (836 posts) -

After rereading your question, I'm confused.

But I think I get it... They had a range of prices going in and had the benefit of going last so they could be a little more reactionary. I think Sony was going to say a price regardless and MS might've sensed that they were going to. MS was probably attempting to get a little ahead as they might have thought Sony was going to announce a similar price probably $450-$500, not expecting a full $100 lower.

#5 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2494 posts) -

I think they had a number of prices in mind and chose the best response possible to pretty much completely destroy the Xbox's momentum.

I like Hip Hop Gamer's summary "It was biblical."

#6 Posted by believer258 (11039 posts) -

At worst, they had two or three different price points set to announce and a line ready in the conference for the announcement.

But no, I don't think big corporations with millions of dollars invested into a single piece of hardware finalize its price over the afternoon of a major press event.

#7 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

According to Jack Tretton they knew the price was going to be $400 before Xbox announced their price. I believe it as well, because even I knew the PS4 would be cheaper due to the exclusion of the camera in the bundle.

#8 Edited by Fearbeard (801 posts) -

No... they decided their price 7 years ago when the $599 price for the PS3 was met with such derision.

To be fair Microsoft could also have met the $399 price if they didn't include Kinect.

#9 Edited by HellknightLeon (399 posts) -

I think they had a price but was ready to make a change based off xbox. What that was we will never know... point is I think they had that all set up. They are ready for a fight and we can all see that.

#10 Posted by Daniel94 (13 posts) -

They just went to put his viral video about lending games.

#11 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@mrpandaman: In the dump truck interview with Scott Rohde's, Scott said that since 2009 they had wanted to make the PS4 powerful yet affordable. I think he said $400 is what they wanted. Also, I think it was Geoff Keighley's interview with Jack Tretton, Jack said that they knew that $400 would be the price. Just saw what @nekusakuraba said a couple posts above so I'm right. They knew there price going in.

#12 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

I think they decided at the show. That's what Jeff Gerstman and other journalists have been saying the scuttle is.

They likely had several different scenarios worked out and when MS spit out their price, they went "execute the one where we're 100 dollars cheaper".

It's actually a very similar situation as what happened with the PS1 at E3 many, many years ago when they did their infamous 100 dollar price cut of the Sega Saturn.

Sony, this year, is looking a lot like Sony of the PS1 era, and that is a very, very, very good thing for gamers.

#13 Posted by kirkpipeline (25 posts) -

It almost feels like everything Sony does and says is a direct reaction to what Microsoft is doing. After MS fuked up the way they did Sony switched the market strategy to "PS4 - it's not the Xbox".

#14 Posted by mrpandaman (836 posts) -

@mrpandaman: In the dump truck interview with Scott Rohde's, Scott said that since 2009 they had wanted to make the PS4 powerful yet affordable. I think he said $400 is what they wanted. Also, I think it was Geoff Keighley's interview with Jack Tretton, Jack said that they knew that $400 would be the price. Just saw what @nekusakuraba said a couple posts above so I'm right. They knew there price going in.

I know they said that, but they could be just saying that to be consistent with their post-event messaging. It's more likely they had a range to work with to be reactionary and that's something they would not admit to. As Jeff and Patrick had heard from other sources, Sony did not decide on the final price until before the show and possibly until they had a positive feeling on what the Xbox One's price was going to be. Sony was ready to react to whatever MS was going to do within a range.

#15 Posted by Taku128 (723 posts) -

No, I'm sure whatever they thought was in proper English.

#16 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2993 posts) -

No. And your thread title doesn't make sense.

#17 Edited by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

I think they knew the price, but I think announcing it as early as they did was a reaction to Microsoft's price point. They've said they knew the price beforehand, and I don't see what they gain from lying about that. I can understand why they might say "Oh we never even considered used game drm." because even though it's probably not true, it makes them look good. I don't really see how having the price set in stone makes them look good.

#18 Edited by DeanoXD (607 posts) -

In the interview Patrick did with Sony guy, he said they set a price point during the original development of the PS4 and that they wanted a $400 console at release. And it was not a reaction to MS

#19 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

I know they said that, but they could be just saying that to be consistent with their post-event messaging. It's more likely they had a range to work with to be reactionary and that's something they would not admit to. As Jeff and Patrick had heard from other sources, Sony did not decide on the final price until before the show and possibly until they had a positive feeling on what the Xbox One's price was going to be. Sony was ready to react to whatever MS was going to do within a range.

Could have happened like that but no one will know for sure. It makes sense though.

#20 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

No. And your thread title doesn't make sense.

It was very confusing the first few times I read it. Finally got it.

Did Sony go to E3 without a price and was like "Our PS4 is $100 cheaper!".

Still wouldn't word it quite like that, but it should clarify his thread title for others that got confused.

#21 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

I would bet a lot of the decisions Sony has made were made pretty recently in reaction to MS.

#22 Edited by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

I think companies like this usually have some people smart enough to be thinking more than one move ahead. I also suspect each of these companies have enough inside sources to know basically everything that's happening at the other company - I doubt there are too many surprises for either of them.