• 94 results
#1 Edited by Gard3 (25 posts) -

This is an offshoot from the GAME DEV TOO LONG thread because I didn't want to hijack.

So, did you buy into the XBOX One and/or PS4 hype? How's that holding up?

Or, did you wait? What's your plan?

#2 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4139 posts) -

I already bought an XONE, and that's working out great.

#3 Edited by bigjeffrey (4716 posts) -

I bought a xbox on launch day, it's going okay. I was going to wait but i said might as well rip the band aid and get it now. I want D4!!!!!!

#4 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

Xbox One at launch and haven't fired up my 360 since. I'm ready for Garden Warfare and Titanfall, but AC4, Ryse, and BF4 have kept me busy.

#5 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5141 posts) -

I bought a Ps4 for the promise of games to come. I wasn't expecting the world at launch, and that's exactly what I got.

#6 Edited by AMyggen (2464 posts) -

I waited. Never bought a console at launch because of launch issues, lack of games. I'll probably buy a PS4 next Christmas, there's just not much of interest to me of games for a good while. Xbone? Well, I live in Norway so couldn't buy one if I wanted to in a good while. Have no plans to buy one really, would need some great fucking games because I believe third party games in general will look better on the PS4.

#7 Edited by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

I plan on buying a PS4 before inFamous drops. I love inFamous and I'm excited to get a PS4. So if the way I'm getting my money pans out (it's not illegal ways, calm down), I should have a PS4 whenever it gets back in stock.

#8 Posted by crithon (3059 posts) -

wait for the first slim to come out of one of them. Still unclear about all of them. I mean I will get one for Metal Gear Solid 5 because I'm way too deep down this fanboy hole, but it'd be nice to hear what is their plan for all the PSN games I bought if they could be emulated through PS Now, I bought a couple of PS1 and PS2 games don't want to see that lost because Now isn't tracking my purchases.

#9 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

No everything is still coming out for the thing I already have.

#10 Edited by Rejizzle (243 posts) -

I'll probably get a PS4 when inFamous comes out. Might even go for the bundle. But for now, I wait.

#11 Posted by L1GHTN1N (436 posts) -

I grabbed a PS4 at launch. I haven't had a single issue and love the system, wish there was more to play on it than Assassin's Creed IV though. Resogun is great but I worked through it pretty quick and I have Don't Starve on PC, so it's a bit slim until March.

On the plus side the DualShock 4 works with the PS3 (with a few quirks) so I've been using that to play some games, which is great since my DualShock 3 is broken/possessed.

#12 Edited by LucidDreams117 (375 posts) -

Hype? Not me. I bought an Xbox One cause after 8 years! I grew tired of 360 and was ready to move on. Last gen went on way too long! I know we got really good games within the last year, but still, too long.

2 months in, 7 games later and Titanfall right around the corner, I'm loving my Xbox One!

#13 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (353 posts) -

My plan was to make sure I had a PS4 before Ground Zeroes and inFamous come out in March. I ended up finding one on Sunday and I had the cash so I figured I'd go ahead and buy it now. I bought Madden 25 and that alongside the PS+ games have been really fun. It's an impressive piece of kit and I'm excited to play more stuff on it.

#14 Posted by fisk0 (3779 posts) -

I did buy the upgrades for Assassin's Creed 4 and Battlefield 4, since I bought them for PS3, and $20 didn't seem like a terrible investment in order to have a couple of games for whenever I get a PS4. I likely won't buy a PS4 until April or so though.

#15 Posted by The_Ruiner (986 posts) -

Waiting for something I actually want to play. If Dragon Age: Inquisition as actually worth playing, I'll buy a PS4.

#16 Posted by csl316 (7986 posts) -

I preordered my PS4 as soon as the price was announced. Enjoyed Battlefield, Need for Speed, Knack, Resogun, Contrast, and working on AC IV. Killzone was underwhelming but it's already been worth it.

#17 Posted by MikeydCT (562 posts) -

I am blaming my depression on the new consoles, that and not being able to find work. But if I was not broke I wouldn't buy one until at least a year in. Wait for games and to see if they don't end up like the 360 red ringing.

#18 Posted by probablytuna (3525 posts) -

I was planning to wait until March to get a PS4, but then I got persuaded by my friend who works at an EB who gave me a free game and a discount for Lego Marvel and Black Flag and I couldn't pass it up. Had it for more than a month now and I'm quite happy with it, although I'm getting a little bored of Black Flag and have started to use my PS3 more often for Demon's Souls.

#19 Posted by Danteveli (1158 posts) -

No since I don't need a machine with no games.

#20 Posted by Nodima (1059 posts) -

No, but only because I don't have the money for a PS4 until I get my tax return. My plan has always been to wait for that and inFamous to release, but I'm definitely starting to feel a little antsy.

Still, I also always planned (and still would probably be smart to) to sell my PS3 whenever I got a PS4, I just didn't realize even this time last year just how good the PS+ service was going to become, or how strange I'd feel to not have GTA V at my finger tips anymore. So the deeper my library of PS3 games gets, the more I think maybe...maybe I should wait for the holidays to get a PS4.

#21 Posted by afabs515 (1005 posts) -

No, but I came really REALLY close during the livestreams, even though I have a gaming rig. Glad I didn't though, so I can wait until the end of this year to see which console looks like the better investment.

#22 Posted by Nekromantix87 (41 posts) -

I didn't until I did.

Up until mid January I didn't care about either console one bit, but then I saw an Xbox One pop up on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $345 a couple of weeks ago with the condition stating it had a damaged box, so I bought it. Now I'm back on the side of not buying into the hype, as after the initial set up of the Xbox One, I haven't touched it once.

The sad thing is that my initial plan was to not buy the Xbox One and wait until worthwhile games came out for the Playstation 4, so I'm probably going to end up buying that down the line anyways. And I'm guessing I'll probably offload the Xbox One around the time I get a Playstation 4, as it doesn't make much sense for me to have a gaming computer, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, PS4 and Xbox One. I learned the hard way last generation that for me, owning every console ends with one being buried in dust, one covered in dust, and one regularly used.

#23 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (527 posts) -

I kept up with all the latest developments leading up to both console releases, but I haven't bought either. I feel like I can enjoy the excitement of next gen without buying a console just yet. After a year or two I'm planning on picking up a Xbox One.

#24 Edited by super2j (1652 posts) -

My laptop does steam well, I want the ps4 but I need to see enough exclusives of interest before i get one. Key (ps4 exclusive) games to make me get it faster are Metal gear, kingdom hearts(FF 15 if it can win me back), a souls game, and there are probably others I cannot remember right now. Oh and since my ps3 died, if they get Last of us on PS now or what ever service, then that will be a huge bump in the right direction (also bayonetta).

#25 Posted by SharkEthic (1003 posts) -

Didn't buy a console, played every game I was interested in on my high end PC instead, and I'm pretty fucking happy with my choice. The only thing I want to play that's exclusive to the new consoles is (the good version of) NBA2K14...which tells me that had I bought a new console, that'd be collecting dust while I fucked around with my PC anyway. I do however see myself getting a PS4 within a year or two, when there's something (fucking anything) to play on it.

#26 Posted by Ezekiel (369 posts) -

I was optimistic about the PS4, but Sony spoiled my enthusiasm at E3 with announcements of absolutely no hard backwards compatibility and multiplayer fees. And I became so used to the versatility of mouse and keyboard gaming that I started to find controllers pretty outdated and poorly designed for most modern games. The PS4 has no games that I want and most of the greats will be developed for multiple platforms. I pay far less for games on Windows. I hated having platforms that couldn't be easily fixed, upgraded and customized, so seeing Sony make their next console even more closed made me say enough is enough.

#27 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I'm happy with my xbox one, waiting for TitanFall. Said so... I mostly play on my PC, said what you will about PC, but the most interesting stuff in gaming is happening there right now, new console hardware won't change that.

#28 Edited by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@super2j: Neither FFXV nor KH are exclusives...

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -

Waiting on the KH3 release date. Don't see myself getting one or the other anytime soon.

#30 Posted by ripelivejam (3473 posts) -

i don't understand how you guys can automatically consign your old consoles to storage once the next gen hit.

#31 Posted by ShotgunLincoln (261 posts) -

I bought em' all since I'm into this "videogames" thing way too deep.

#32 Edited by Yesiamaduck (888 posts) -

No

Because *puts on master race hat* my PC was already pushing as many poly's at the next gen console in 2011

I will most likely get a PS4 eventually, maybe this christmas, either that or I might upgrade my video card.

#33 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2206 posts) -

I'm hyped for certain games coming out this year so I wanted the PS4 to be ready.

#34 Posted by TobbRobb (4555 posts) -

I'll buy a PS4 by the end of the year most likely. Though really at this rate I might be better off picking up a Vita and a 3DS this year and getting the console 2015.

#35 Posted by Fattony12000 (6970 posts) -

Yes, I'll probably be getting a PS4 sometime around Christmas of 2014.

#36 Posted by DukesT3 (1888 posts) -

I got a ps4 and probably should've waited until Second Son came out. Oh well.

#37 Edited by Christoffer (1742 posts) -

I was never going to buy any of the new consoles anyway, so I don't know if it's fair for me to answer the question. But then again, if the consoles would be balls out crazy marvels of innovation that would solve all my problems, I would probably get one of them.

Seeing that they are not, I'm sticking to the old PC box.

#38 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Don't own one yet. Hoping to get a Wii U in April, and a PS4 at Xmas, or possibly mid 2015.

#39 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Preordered my PS4 the moment Sony's E3 conference ended. So you might say I've bought into the hype. The last generation went on for a couple of years too long. If I get a new console at launch was never in question, but which one.

My PC can't handle BF4 anymore, so I was in dire need of a box to play BF4 as intended. In so far, my PS4 is working out great for me. I'm playing on my PS4 every day, and having a great time - though admittedly, I'm looking forward to *more games*. The end of February can't come soon enough!

#40 Posted by Carlos1408 (1489 posts) -

Didn't really buy into it, no. I've got a wait and see approach, when games come out that interest me on the consoles I might invest in one. Been planning on building a PC and getting a Wii U for the Nintendo exclusives (when there's more of them), so it could be a long time before I get one. Might even be worth waiting for a slim version. Either way, Dark Souls II is right around the corner, that will hold me for a really, really long time. God I can't wait for that game! Also got Fire Emblem: Awakening recently and I'm loving it.

#41 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

NO. I have such a large game hoard that I can go awhile without buying into the new console hype. I'm unimpressed with the specs for these systems. More then likely I will get a PS4 at some point. The XB1 does have Titanfall but other than that I don't have any interest in Kinect and the TV stuff. There really hasn't been anything that I really want to play on the new consoles. Things might change next holiday season.

If anything I'm more interesting in a Steambox. I switched to consoles gaming years ago because of the costs, hatred of Windows, and cluttered PC setup. Judging from the comments on most forums, I'm in the minority because the Steambox looks great to me. When more games get ported to the SteamOS I might open the wallet. Might.

#42 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1105 posts) -

I mean, it's pretty damn hard to not feel excited at all when a new console from one of the big guys is coming out, I don't care who you are.

Anyway, I got a PS4 mainly because I wanna play Kingdom Hearts III and FF XV. And on top of that, there's obviously gonna be lots of great games coming out for it down the line, so I'm not worried.

#43 Posted by fetchfox (1217 posts) -

Nah mate, I'll wait and see how coming games review and how to consoles fears over time.

#44 Posted by Pezen (1551 posts) -

Initially I was swept up in the hype somewhat. But then Microsoft stumbled on themselves. Sony kept me in the excitement until I realized financially speaking it would be a bad idea to invest in a console right then. So I put the idea of them on the shelves. Currently, I don't own either (couldn't own an Xbox One even if I wanted to, being a Swede, unless I import but fuck that), and the launches felt pretty flat so I am not really clamoring for one.

So part of me is thinking about getting a Vita. Another part of me is considering a WiiU just for my "next gen resolution" of playing more diverse types of games and not just third person dudes killing other dudes. But I don't know, maybe I'll just buy a new keyboard and keep playing Dota 2 and last gen consoles for a while.

#45 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

Not really. I think too much of an emphasis often gets placed on new hardware and I'm not seeing anything currently out on the new machines that blows my mind.

#46 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

He, he. No. No. I have a PC, a 3DS and a Wii U. I'm covered, thank you.

#47 Edited by super2j (1652 posts) -

@oginor: true! very true! I should clarify, anything that is exclusive to the consoles and is not obviously coming to pc.

#48 Posted by avantegardener (1107 posts) -

I own a personal computer, unless either console presents the must have exclusive 'killer app', I can't see that changing.

#49 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (375 posts) -

Nope. I was always a console player, but over the last couple of years I've been upgrading my PC and enjoying the offerings from Steam and what the new consoles are offering isn't enough for the money. Maybe in a couple of years I'll reconsider when they both have a decent amount of games, but at the moment my 360 and PC are enough.

#50 Posted by believer258 (11570 posts) -

I'm playing a PS2 game and a throwback to mid 90's dungeon crawlers right now.

The newest things are not on my mind.