Did you get any new consoles this holiday season?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Dixavd

Poll Did you get any new consoles this holiday season? (72 votes)

Xbox 360 1%
Xbox One 11%
PS3 4%
PS4 22%
Wii 1%
WiiU 15%
3DS 15%
Vita 6%
Other Console: Specify (e.g. PS2, Ouya, NVidia Shield etc...) 1%
New PC 6%
Upgraded Existing PC 6%
No Hardware - Just Software, Baby! 25%
None of your gaming-related shit in this house! 24%

Hey Guys,

I thought I'd create a poll where we could see what people got this holiday season* in terms of new hardware. Maybe Giantbomb is full of the minority who got a WiiU, who knows? Let's find out. Feel free to bring up what games you got as well or whatever. And be light-hearted, okay. Hope you're all having a lovely time with them (and try not to let the slow download speeds aggravate you too much).

As for me, I got a WiiU with Wind Waker and Pikmin 3, and bought my Sister a 3DS XL with A Link Between Worlds; what about you?

*P.S. Am I using this term correctly? I never hear the phrase used in the UK, just "Christmas" for any sales/gifts this time of year so I'm not certain what's the preferred way of describing it internationally.

• 
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i got a wii u a couple months ago and gifted one to a friend a couple weeks ago if that counts.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Almost have all my parts for my new PC. Only thing I'm waiting for now is the case; it should be arriving within the next couple of days.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got a wii u a couple months ago and gifted one to a friend a couple weeks ago if that counts.

If this WiiU can have a "launch Window" pushing on 6 months then 'Holiday Season' can start as early as July for all I care!

@andorski said:

Almost have all my parts for my new PC. Only thing I'm waiting for now is the case; it should be arriving within the next couple of days.

Congratulations! I built my own Gaming PC last Christmas (my Birthday is just two weeks before Christmas so I pooled them together to get a very good, though not top-end, PC). How powerful of a machine are you getting? Mine has a GTX 660 Ti in it for instance.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

LMAO no. No one in my family could ever afford to spend that kind of money on anyone let alone me.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: i7-4770K, ROG Impact ITX, NH-C14 CPU Cooler, GTX 780, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 4TB HDD, and a 450W SFX PSU. Not sure how high I can overclock the GPU, but I'm targeting 4.2GHz on the CPU. Also got a new Roccat Pure Optical Mouse and a Ducky Shine 3 mechanical keyboard.

The case I got was made via crowdfunding. Ordered it in August and it will (hopefully) be here before the new year.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Just bought my PS4 at launch, hurrah.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dixavd

LMAO no. No one in my family could ever afford to spend that kind of money on anyone let alone me.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you're happy nonetheless and get to play games that are most important to you anyway.

@andorski said:

@dixavd: i7-4770K, ROG Impact ITX, NH-C14 CPU Cooler, GTX 780, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 4TB HDD, and a 450W SFX PSU. Not sure how high I can overclock the GPU, but I'm targeting 4.2GHz on the CPU. Also got a new Roccat Pure Optical Mouse and a Ducky Shine 3 mechanical keyboard.

The case I got was made via crowdfunding. Ordered it in August and it will (hopefully) be here before the new year.

That looks great, I'm not that much of a tech-expert (I had a wonderful friend help me buy and build my PC last year) but those look fantastyic - especially the GTX 780. The price for that seems a bit too steep for me at the moment, but if you can afford it, go for it!

@csl316 said:

Just bought my PS4 at launch, hurrah.

I hope you like it.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Optix12

I bought myself a Wii U a few weeks ago and consider it a christmas present to myself, and today I received black flag for 360 (I was waiting for a PC version to drop in price before I get it but happy I can now play it at least). My mom lucked out in getting me and my bro the only 2 recent 360/ps3 gen games that released in this time frame that we don't own.
Our untold but known rule is not to go too overboard with prices for gifts so any hardware is out of the question. That and me and my brother tend to buy any games we want on a whim.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I bought a 3DS but got a PS4 today.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I bought the Wind Waker edition of the WiiU in October and got the PS4 on launch day.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I got a Xbox One at launch without a pre-order, instead I was lucky enough to get a display box unit and made an elderly Future Shop employee angry cause I wasn't going for the "bundle" they'd set up. They only had 2.

Whilst setting it up I ran into issues, namely the console doesn't support anything other than 16:9 aspect ratio. I use my computer monitor to play all my games, since I don't own a tv, and it's aspect ratio was 16:10 which while I love for it's greater desktop real estate... most games are being made for the 16:9 aspect ratio since that's been adopted for 'everything' under the sun.... even phones oddly enough (dumbly enough I'd say).

Anyhoo another issue while fiddling with video settings was that I think I borked the system while changing things like color depth and the like, so it would only output black... and the buttons you can press to supposedly reset it's display settings entirely weren't working and as you can imagine it's hard to ask the internet if a troubleshooting method is working when they just come back at you with garbage like "did you try the cables". Cables worked fine blah blah, think it was ultimately a bug that did that. The console didn't seem to recognize holding the power and eject buttons, using my tech intuition usually no sound should play or something else should play but instead most the time the sound for eject AND power would play at once... making me think it just wasn't understanding it was supposed to be doing a special command... because of this it would sometimes just turn it on and sometimes trigger the eject sound.. again... communication issues I gather.

So I got to see the new and improved Xbox support website which actually is kinda pretty nowadays, very very easy to click your way through to what you will need replaced and all that, and it's almost too easy to get the process for a new part (console, controller, headset whatever) sent to you for free, with a shipping label to print out and everything. While that was happening I bought a fairly cheap new monitor that was in fact the more popular 16:9 aspect ratio, and slightly larger than my past monitor, all for $80 :)

Having the new system, and the new monitor has renewed some gaming in me and I even have been playing the ps3 I bought for Last of Us again, since it also didn't support 16:10 at the time... Seems like the Xbox 360 is the only existing console to support the aspect ratio at all, and if I remember correctly it did so only after a patch prolly a year into it's life, along with a vga cable that they released. How hard is it to just support these things though? Oversight based on the effort put into a console launch? If so why does the ps3 still not support it even almost a decade since it's release? WHATever.

So I'm playing Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, and some recently bought PS3 games like Journey and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch! Might check out some of the free PS Plus games I have also too, namely I wanna check out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, I think it's crazy that game was/is free on PS Plus...

I highly recommend anyone that owns an Xbox One to get on it if there's anything faulty about it, even if you scuffed it up or something. Microsoft is really good about making repair stuff easy, the headset that comes with the console is cheap as fuck and I think because of that mine wasn't outputting sound properly, it would output some static and sound sometimes so I just assume the very flimsy wiring in there was slightly wonky. Getting that stuff replaced for free is great, and the normal warranty everyone who owns one has is good for mid-Feb 2014 I think, well worth it to keep that in mind. I have to assume replacing a controller is free too considering the console itself is not only free but they have those 2 options... send it to them and they fiddle with it until they fix it, and or send a new one to you so you will for sure get a working one from them, and option 2 is they just straight up send a new one instantly, and you send your old one to them supposedly as soon as you can. Kinda a weird trust thing with that one.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. But I'm going to go half and half with my brother once PS4 gets back in stock. I read Best Buy got more stock so I'll be calling my BB tomorrow morning.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo Christmas, got a Wii U and 3DS

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By davidwitten22

Technically my computer was a birthday / Christmas gift, so I'm going to count it. I'm not interested in console gaming nearly as much anymore, but I'll probably get a Wii eventually.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No but I'm probably going to buy a 3DS for myself soon.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

PS4

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi

No, the only present I got was tickets to a Lady Gaga concert from my mom. I managed to buy a PS4 myself earlier in the month.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I buy everything I want when it comes out. I'm an adult with a great job.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Did not get anything video game related, just some gift cards. Bought myself a xone last month though.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By ThePickle

No, but I'll likely use my recently acquired funds to buy a 3DS.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, just some games from the Steam sale.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I bought myself a 3DS in the holiday launch window.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, my limited family doesn't really believe in video games. I take care of myself on that front. Beside that, I'd feel like shit if somebody dropped a couple hundred dollars on me like that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I tricked my parents into buying a Wii U bundle on Black Friday and then summarily talked them into letting us just have it instead of waiting for Christmas, if that counts.