Digital Downloads and Refunds

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Bollard

So, I'm sure many people already believe (or hope) that all Video Game (and other entertainment) content in the future will be distributed digitally, right? Because obviously, it's faster, you don't have to go out, and updates and so on can be administrated with ease. But, after having issues with a game I downloaded recently, (RISK: Factions to be precise, see thread HERE) an interesting topic arose: 

What of refunds in a totally digital-download-only world? 

If we look at one of the main platforms for digital downloads of games today, Xbox Live, they have a strict "no-refund" policy on everything. As soon as you commit your points to downloading something from the marketplace, there is no way you can possibly get your cash back if the game, theme, or anything else is actually faulty. Now of course they have all their strict guidelines as to what can go onto the store, but still, after my experiences with RISK (the game would lock up upon booting the game up, and for other players every time they played online they would get a freeze) it is clear that their system is not fool-proof. In fact, the game is downright broken in some cases, and had it been a disc game it would have been worthy of taking it back to the store and getting a full refund. 

However, that's the point, isn't it? There IS no store, no physical item, nothing to take back and nowhere to take it too. You can't get a refund on bits and bytes, so what to do? You're left at the mercy of the digital distributor and the manufacturer of the product to do something. With no option to get a refund, isn't that basically taking away the customer's rights?  

So, if the future does become digital download only, cases like this may become more common, and what do you think will happen regarding policies on refunds - or even the chance of getting one at all - for digital downloads of the future? 

PS:
Oh, and on a side note, if anyone else has had issues with a digitally downloaded product, please share your experience of what happened!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Chavtheworld said:
" So, I'm sure many people already believe (or hope) that all Video Game (and other entertainment) content in the future will be distributed digitally, right? Because obviously, it's faster, you don't have to go out, and updates and so on can be administrated with ease. But, after having issues with a game I downloaded recently, (RISK: Factions to be precise, see thread HERE) an interesting topic arose:  What of refunds in a totally digital-download-only world?  If we look at one of the main platforms for digital downloads of games today, Xbox Live, they have a strict "no-refund" policy on everything. As soon as you commit your points to downloading something from the marketplace, there is no way you can possibly get your cash back if the game, theme, or anything else is actually faulty. Now of course they have all their strict guidelines as to what can go onto the store, but still, after my experiences with RISK (the game would lock up upon booting the game up, and for other players every time they played online they would get a freeze) it is clear that their system is not fool-proof. In fact, the game is downright broken in some cases, and had it been a disc game it would have been worthy of taking it back to the store and getting a full refund.  However, that's the point, isn't it? There IS no store, no physical item, nothing to take back and nowhere to take it too. You can't get a refund on bits and bytes, so what to do? You're left at the mercy of the digital distributor and the manufacturer of the product to do something. With no option to get a refund, isn't that basically taking away the customer's rights?   So, if the future does become digital download only, cases like this may become more common, and what do you think will happen regarding policies on refunds - or even the chance of getting one at all - for digital downloads of the future?  PS:Oh, and on a side note, if anyone else has had issues with a digitally downloaded product, please share your experience of what happened! "
That is sort of funny. Cause I bitched to EA about the length of Deathspank and how there advertised length of 15 hours was a like. And I was sent a 20 dollar code for their store. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I will never wish for a digital only future... Also, I'm pretty sure it's always faster to drive to your local store and pick up a game then it is to download a multi gigabyte file.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard
@The_Laughing_Man: You lucky man.
mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By mrariscottle

I don't think if a game is broken, that you can take it back to a store and get a refund actually... So it wouldn't be any different. Unless there is a problem with the physical disc. What I'm trying to say is if the game has been made badly you can't get a refund.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By BunkerBuster

In the States, at least, you are never allowed a refund on any game purchase. They will let you replace the copy within the 30 days but I have never been in a store that would give me any sort of money back. So I don't see any difference between now and when its pure digital distribution. 
I'm also quite sure that in the future there will still be reviewers that will let you know if a game is just straight broken or janky so that you don't buy it.

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Ultimadark
@The_Laughing_Man: Really? A refund. Nice
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Ultimadark said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: Really? A refund. Nice "
I still have the game. Just a 20 dollar code as well. 
Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Ultimadark
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Ultimadark said:
I still have the game. Just a 20 dollar code as well.  "
Cool, I never thought that EA would do something like that. Did you just send them an e-mail or what?
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Ultimadark said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Ultimadark said:
I still have the game. Just a 20 dollar code as well.  "
Cool, I never thought that EA would do something like that. Did you just send them an e-mail or what? "
Yes I did. I told them that I easily finished the game in 8 hours and I felt lied to. And they sent me the code. 
ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By ribeye

I have some recent experience with this, and I agree mostly with what's already been said here, it won't be much different than it is today. 

I bought Starcraft 2 on launch day....actually I clicked Go the very second the digital purchases were unlocked.  Apparently me and 6.8 billion other people had the same idea and the page was a little laggy.  I may have hit Refresh in the middle of all that.  A short while later I got 2 confirmation e-mails and the $59.99 came out of my account twice.  I e-mailed support and told them what happened and within a few days one of those purchases was refunded to my account. 

Yesterday I e-mailed Steam support saying that I've changed my mind about RUSE, which I had pre-purchased a while back.  They replied saying they normally do not offer refunds for online purchases, but since that game hasn't launched yet, I was again allowed a refund.

Today: 
You can't get a refund on a game that's been opened.  The same is true for all other physical media; CD's, DVD's, Bluray's etc.  Otherwise you could buy it, rip it and return it.  They're wise to the pirates' tactics, and anyway that's what Netflix and Gamefly are for.  Exchanged for another working copy if it's actually broken, yes, but not refunded. 

In the not-so-distant digital download only age: 
You still won't be able to get a refund on a game that's been opened (or in this case, installed and probably played).  They'll have no way of proving that you've uninstalled said game, or whether or not it was actually working and you played it for a while, got bored and now want a refund and therefore will not likely give you a refund.  If your game is actually broken and unplayable, you'll probably be referred to tech support to resolve the issue.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

No refunds, also they won't let you refund open boxed games anyways, only exchanges. If you had the game on steam for example, you can verify the cache and redownload files to fix it.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By scarace360

i dont think they will ever give you a refund. And if i was a big company i wouldnt give one.