#1 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

I don't think anyone has posted a topic of this (I tried searching) but regardless, it's a free advergame brought to you by OLD SPICE.

but unlike regular advergames, this one is fucking hilarious; it's basically dikembe mutumbo (who is a congolese american basketball player who is retired, if you didn't know), along with his bear bro science (best name for a bear ever), trying to save the world. His voice acting really makes it, it's soooooooooooooo good (even if the game parts are mad fuckin hard). I can't beat the 5th stage where I have to beat shadow mutumbo (it's more like barkley's shut up and jam gaiden than I would've thought) because I am terrible at top down shooters, but it's worth a look if nothing else.

R.I.P. random turkey

http://www.oldspicesavestheworld.com/

#2 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

finger

#3 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2038 posts) -

This is so crazy I'm surprised something like this didn't come out of Japan first!

I hate Old Spice's typical ads, but this is so elaborate it might win me over.

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Animasta: corporate shill that loves Old Spice. How dare you!(this looks rad and I'll be checking it out, thanks).

#5 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: If they just started doing commercials for old spice with dikembe I would love them, his voice owns bones

@Phatmac: the most old spice comes into it is the health pick ups in the mine cart level and the missiles in hte top down shooter level

#6 Posted by TheHT (11657 posts) -

What?

What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What?

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Old Spice continues its streak of having the best advertising team on the planet.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25200 posts) -

Peanut Butter Jelly Time is back with a vengeance. Holy shit this is nuts.

#9 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2038 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@EquitasInvictus: If they just started doing commercials for old spice with dikembe I would love them, his voice owns bones

@Phatmac: the most old spice comes into it is the health pick ups in the mine cart level and the missiles in hte top down shooter level

I will be super cool with them if they continue to bag pop( internet ?) culture like this. I did not expect Touhou repackaged and wrapped in an incredibly silly but oddly charming premise involving shmup-ing memes.

This is actually really well done. The art is really great, too!

EDIT: Just beat it. Amazing.

They closed to DMX's rendition of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer omg I'm done. GOTY.
#10 Posted by bobafettjm (1553 posts) -

I just beat this game, and I must say that it is quite amazing.

#11 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

I played this before. While I liked the humor, I wouldn't say I enjoyed the mechanics. I'll try to give it another shot tomorrow.

#12 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2038 posts) -

@Apathylad: As in the movement speed and the fact there was no option to vary it? (Touhou gets around that by making the default movement really fast and then having a key you can hold for more sensitive movements when you're in the middle of literal bullet hell, which is probably the best approach for keyboard.)

That was a little hard to get used to at first but considering the patterns being not too insane by the end (thanks Ikaruga, Touhou et. al.) it actually wasn't bad and pretty forgiving about how they started you off for replays toward the end (with the third tier of upgrades instead of starting you off with nothing.)

#13 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

I'M SHAMELESSLY BUMPING THIS BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

#14 Posted by Little_Socrates (5693 posts) -

Finally went back and beat it today. I'd played the first couple games right around Thanksgiving, but I was stoked to get back to the world of Science the Bear and Dikembe. Video game Dikembe is amaaaaazing.

#15 Edited by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

holy crap this is amazing

I usually don't like it when flash games don't give an option to use WASD but here I'll make an exception

#16 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

How many people here actually remember him playing? I really like the guy. I hope he got a good paycheck cause this is kindof lame.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan: it's not lame at all, do you just hate fun?

are you a fun hater?

why you hatin on science the bear

#18 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@Animasta: Because I have a lot of respect for Dikembe Mutumbo.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

yeah because he totally didn't get paid for this? He can't be silly at any point? It's not like it's making fun of the guy

#20 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2271 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

Dikembe has a foundation that I'm sure this helps out. Like all the silly things Manute Bol did to raise awareness for his cause.

#21 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@Animasta: It's a bad caricature. I would prefer if people would get to know the man.

#22 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Played through the five games last night. The games themselves are kind of "eh," but the writing and cutscenes are fantastic.

#23 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

@Animasta: It's a bad caricature. I would prefer if people would get to know the man.

okay, got it, he can never be not serious ever

#24 Posted by Hailinel (25200 posts) -
@BirdkeeperDan

How many people here actually remember him playing? I really like the guy. I hope he got a good paycheck cause this is kindof lame.

I do. But I wouldn't call this lame. This is intentionally silly and really dumb, but in a fun way.
#25 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@GorillaMoPena: Yeah if is indeed benefitting his charity I guess I'm okay with it. But I hope people don't just view him as he's portrayed here.

#26 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

@GorillaMoPena: Yeah if is indeed benefitting his charity I guess I'm okay with it. But I hope people don't just view him as he's portrayed here.

he is literally stopping the end of the world with a talking bear with a british accent

like come on

#27 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@Animasta: I didn't really find it funny, it was just wierd. I guess to someone who doesn't really care it just comes of as absurb and thus funny.

#28 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Peanut Butter Jelly Time is back with a vengeance. Holy shit this is nuts.

With a baseball bat

#29 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

@Animasta: I didn't really find it funny, it was just wierd. I guess to someone who doesn't really care it just comes of as absurb and thus funny.

let's face it, anyone who thinks this is a legitimate portrayal of dikembe wouldn't be able to get past his accent anyway

#30 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2271 posts) -

@BirdkeeperDan said:

You seem to think Dikembe isn't aware of anything that went on here. I'm sure he likes it. I mean this is a man who has a signature taunt.

I think you are really overthinking this.

#31 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@Animasta: I guess thats true, but I never really had a hard time with his accent.

#32 Posted by Scrawnto (2461 posts) -

That was quite enjoyable.

#33 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

@GorillaMoPena: I know there are a lot of foreign stars who don't get American humour. I am a little worried but if he was compensated or his charity got money then it's okay.

#34 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

Lol, this game was hilarious. Especially the ending. It had me roflmao.

#35 Posted by Little_Socrates (5693 posts) -

@GorillaMoPena said:

@BirdkeeperDan said:

You seem to think Dikembe isn't aware of anything that went on here. I'm sure he likes it. I mean this is a man who has a signature taunt.

I think you are really overthinking this.

I'm gonna point out that Dikembe actually did the voice acting for the game, so he definitely got paid and is totally cool with the portrayal. It's an Old Spice advertisement, not just a dumb flash game, so I'm sure he was paid well enough.

#36 Posted by csl316 (9229 posts) -

I keep putting this off because I'm in denial of the apocalypse.

#37 Posted by TobbRobb (4811 posts) -

This is the best thing of all time. OF ALL TIME!

#38 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

I played this a few weeks back. It's glorious. But hard as hell. Only got past the Gangnam Style stage. Science is a great name for a bear. Or any character designed to spout exposition.

#39 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

this is pretty great.

#40 Posted by Hailinel (25200 posts) -
@BirdkeeperDan

@GorillaMoPena: I know there are a lot of foreign stars who don't get American humour. I am a little worried but if he was compensated or his charity got money then it's okay.

Do you really not think he isn't aware of the humor behind this at all?
#41 Posted by Live2bRighteous (317 posts) -

This is perfectly awesome. Hearing the "Thanksgiving" song in here gave me a chuckle.

#42 Posted by Zippedbinders (1030 posts) -

FOR FRIENDSHIIIIIIIIIIP

I love you Random Turkey.

#43 Posted by JackSukeru (5945 posts) -

@Animasta: Thank you!

Just, thank you!

#44 Posted by Flappy (2327 posts) -

As a basketball fan, it'd be a crime if I didn't play this game to the end. Thank you for the link!

#45 Posted by beeftothetaco (426 posts) -

Some of it is funny, but some of the humor feels forced. Dikembe is pretty great though.

#46 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

What? What?

What? What? What? What? What?

#47 Posted by Amukasa (53 posts) -

I just wanted to say "Thank You"