Dilemma - What should I do GB?

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

It's not a major problem, but I've been going back and forth for a while now..... I just can't decide, so here it is.

I've never owned a Sony platform, but there are some games for the PS3 that I'd like to get, so I've been wanting one for a while no. So obviously you can see that with this recent price drop and announcement of the slimmer model, I see an opportunity to purchase a PS3.

But as I said before, I've never owned a PS1 or PS2, so I'd like to be able to play games for those platforms as well. 

So here are my options.

1. Buy a 120GB PS3 Slim for $300, a PS2 Slim for $55, and a couple memory cards, (Amazon is carrying 8MB memory cards for $20, which seems like a lot to me, but I dunno).

2. Buy a 60GB PS3 for $345 on Amazon, which is backwards compatible, and I won't need any memory cards or take up more space with a PS2, but I'd want a bigger hard drive. 

So what do you think I should do?

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a major problem, but I've been going back and forth for a while now..... I just can't decide, so here it is.

I've never owned a Sony platform, but there are some games for the PS3 that I'd like to get, so I've been wanting one for a while no. So obviously you can see that with this recent price drop and announcement of the slimmer model, I see an opportunity to purchase a PS3.

But as I said before, I've never owned a PS1 or PS2, so I'd like to be able to play games for those platforms as well. 

So here are my options.

1. Buy a 120GB PS3 Slim for $300, a PS2 Slim for $55, and a couple memory cards, (Amazon is carrying 8MB memory cards for $20, which seems like a lot to me, but I dunno).

2. Buy a 60GB PS3 for $345 on Amazon, which is backwards compatible, and I won't need any memory cards or take up more space with a PS2, but I'd want a bigger hard drive. 

So what do you think I should do?

Civvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Civvie

Its most likely better to buy the slim then a PS2 just because the PS2 plays PS2 games best. That is my plan for a PS3 but for me I have the memory card with several clear games and I hate the touch pad things the PS3 fat uses for buttons.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd get the PS3 Slim, even if it doesn't have BC. Besides, aren't PS2s and PS1s dirt cheap now, or am I thinking of something that probably doesn't exist?

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:
" I'd get the PS3 Slim, even if it doesn't have BC. Besides, aren't PS2s and PS1s dirt cheap now, or am I thinking of something that probably doesn't exist? "
Yeah, I can get a PS2 slim on Amazon for $55. 

It's just that I could either get a PS3 Slim, a PS2, and some memory cards for like, $400 max, or just a BC PS3 and another HDD for like $440, but then I'd also only have one console, instead of two...
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By spankingaddict

either one wont be a bad decision....

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By kashif1

the ps2, certain ps2 games dont work on ps3
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brukaoru

I assume you're talking about the rare 60GB models with hardware emulation, not software emulation? 

Still, I would say it'd be better to get a PS3 slim and the PS2. You'd get more hard drive space which is what you want.

Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Exlutonian

As an owner of a 60GB PS3 I recommend getting a PS3 Slim and PS2 Slim. 

The emulation just isn't good enough for everything.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By danielkempster

I'd go for the first option. You really can't go wrong with a PS2 slim, I've had mine for five years now and it's still in perfect working order. I hope whatever you choose brings you hours of enjoyment, though.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Xandurson

I'd go with the PS3 slim option. Once I get a job I plan on going that route because I want the PS3 for exclusives.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, thanks for the suggestions everyone, it seems unanimous for the first option. 

I appreciate the input. =]

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

I don't know what everyone is talking about here.  If you can get a full* backward compatible PS3 for that price still, I'd jump on it.  You can get HDDs for cheap and kick that machine up to 500 gigs for less than an additional $100 (I saw one on Newegg for $79.99 today).  If you only want less space, the prices for new hard drives drop although not as much as I'd expect.  In some cases for $20 you can double or triple your disc space.  But if you are talking about a used or refurbished PS3 then I'd think twice.  Unless you are okay with a console being used or know the person who's selling it, I always assume there is something wrong with it.  Maybe I'm too suspicious but a console is expensive and "used" usually means "as is". If there is some sort of guarantee, then that's another story, but make sure it's in writing.  I've only the one PS3 on my self but I've been playing tons of PS2 games on it and wireless is the way to go.  No need to waste money on memory cards or extra controllers since what works on for all your PS3 games works for your PS2/PSX games.
*"full" means hardware emulation found in the launch PS3s.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

I would probably get the BC PS3 if you can find a cheap hard drive to upgrade yours with. Still, you may not need to worry about space much. I have an 80 GB and at least 40 GB are free.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Griddler

Go for slim.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Cerza

Get the the PS3 slim and the PS2 slim, because as others have said not all PS2 games work on the backwards compatible PS3. So if you want to play PS2 games as well then that's the combination to go with.