• 114 results
#1 Posted by FreedomTown (269 posts) -

I figured this was good a platform as any to pose this question to the community. Where is the premium content? Where is the GB we used to know and love?

It seems ever since the CBS move, subscriber content has slowly dwindled....and the content GB does provide has become more mainstream. Where have the 'Drew plays random flight sim' videos gone? Where are the TNTs? Where are the weekly mailbags? Where are the random off the wall antic videos? Don't even get me started on endurance runs....Persona 4 endurance run was probably the best content GB ever put out, and those are history.

If it weren't for Unprofessional Fridays, there really wouldn't be any premium content at all. The random DotA streams and Klepek stuff basically equates to Twitch broadcasts, not what I would call premium content. I can watch thousands of people broadcast games like DoTA and Horror games 24/7, for free. Twitch style broadcasts are not what GB was all about.

So yea....just wondering what the deal is, and what the plan is going forward. I used to love supporting the team with a subscription, but with dwindling 'oldschool' content, and what I would call a push in a direction that is really the opposite reason why I liked GB in the first place, I'm finding it tough to think of reasons to stay subscribed.

Maybe no one will read this. Maybe those who do read it will reply with the obligatory "see ya". But I do see a disconcerting trend and direction of the company, and as someone who loved GB from the start, I think this is a valid piece.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10889 posts) -

They were doing tons of Premium stuff, up through Brad's playthrough of Demon's Souls. There's been a bit of a drop off lately, but they're working toward E3, Vinny is leaving, they're still getting used to the new office, etc.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1562 posts) -

Yo man. Giant Bomb just gets better, we're about to get new people, new experiments, a whole new fucking office. Double the office, double the fun! (There is also a lot of premium content, all the Souls stuff, VinnyVania, UPF, that random puppy stream Matt did which was amazing. There's hella content. I only have so many hours in a day, so I'm not sure how people keep up well enough to think there isn't enough content.)

Giant bomb is growing and evolving, things change. I understand that change can be scary for people and they want to live in the comfort of the 'basement' setting with just alcohol, Quicklooks and ERs. New content is great, and it will be more laughs, more fun, and a hella better website. I couldn't be more excited.

(Also that basement comment was in reference to when they actually worked in basements. Not as an insult. Just for clarification.)

#4 Posted by cooljammer00 (1632 posts) -

Well I mean, I'm sure Drew would do more goofy streams if he wasn't now a face of GB as well as a behind the scenes guy. TNT is gone forever, from what I understand. What are you asking, though? Why isn't GB the way it was before? It can't be. It has to move on and do new stuff, most of which is still very good. I mean, Dave left and took his weird PC games with him. Vinny is moving. Drew is super busy.

#5 Posted by CornBREDX (5094 posts) -

Of course you're opinion is valid. You are blind to everything that they have done, but sure you can leave if you don't like the site anymore. It's ok- we forgive you.

Just a short list of things they have done (subscriber wise) since moving to CBS office- hell over this year alone and a little bit of last year:

Unprofessional Fridays (every week for over the past year)

The occasional DOTA stream

Spookin with Scoops

Vinnyvania

Breaking Brad- Demon's Souls (which was basically an endurance run without the expectation for an episode a day)

Breaking Brad Volgarr the Viking (which, again, was basically an endurance run feature)

Load our last souls (where Vinny picked up from where he was in Dark Souls for around 10 episodes to complete the game)

Giantbomb Unplugged: Pathfinder

Bradley May Cry (where Brad played the entirety of the first Devil May cry over the course of a year)

There's other stuff, but ya... you're right. They haven't done anything.

TNTs were a Ryan thing and you will not see them anymore. Jeff has said as much on his Tumblr. Weekly mailbags require they get fan mail every week, so if they aren't doing it it's because they haven't gotten anything worth making a video about- or haven't gotten anything at all. Jeff is busy behind the scenes "securing the future of Giantbomb" lately so random videos about nonsense are unlikely and with the new changes to Vinny's location I suspect they will be possibly more rare but to be fair they always were rare treats anyway and I'm sure they will be done occasionally still.

So, I would wager the deal is there is only so much time in a day and you will see other stuff soon- that's why they're hiring actually. I just don't like the implication that people make because they're bored this week that a content creator "isn't doing anything anymore." It's shortsighted and extremely rude- especially when it's very much so not true.

#6 Posted by Superkenon (1416 posts) -

Stay tuned. Shit's about to get crazy.

#7 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5227 posts) -
#8 Edited by Bocam (3712 posts) -

Yo man. Giant Bomb just gets better, we're about to get new people, new experiments, a whole new fucking office. Double the office, double the fun! (There is also a lot of premium content, all the Souls stuff, VinnyVania, UPF, that random puppy stream Matt did which was amazing. There's hella content. I only have so many hours in a day, so I'm not sure how people keep up well enough to think there isn't enough content.)

Do you realise how long it'll take before a second office is set up? This is the same CBSi that promised new hires for two years before they actually got the budget for them.

#9 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1562 posts) -

@bocam said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

Do you realise how long it'll take before a second office is set up? This is the same CBSi that promised new hires for two years before they actually got the budget for them.

So I can't be excited? (They already have the money, and pretty much got the office space down to a couple locations.)

#10 Posted by CornBREDX (5094 posts) -
#11 Posted by Bocam (3712 posts) -

@bocam said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

So I can't be excited?

Sure you can. I just don't see the point in it.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10889 posts) -

@sethphotopoulos: Vinny is returning to his land of birth, New York, to form Giant Bomb East with Alex.

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by FrankNelson (47 posts) -

Life happens and things change. The site can not be what it used to be under Whiskey Media. I still think its great. They are doing the best they can to try to keep things together. Corporate approval is a nightmare in some cases and they are trying to prove to "suits" how they are different than that other video game site (gamespot). I'm interested in seeing how things shape up after E3. Enjoy things while you can.

#14 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5227 posts) -
#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10889 posts) -

@sethphotopoulos: That part is cool, but him not being around in GB HQ in SF for the Bombcast, UPF, other stuff is a bummer.

Moderator Online
#16 Edited by Slag (4236 posts) -

Given the big news lately with Vinny/GBNY and inbound new hires, I think by this fall will see a really different Giant Bomb with a lot of new content.

If there ever was a time for cautious optimism and a wait & see attitude it's probably now.

Frankly I feel more optimistic about the future of Giant Bomb now than I have at any time since buyout happened. Now we have real tangible evidence of the plan and future of the site. I don't know if ultimately I'll like what it ends up being, but there is a direction and a visible goal which is something I don't feel we've had for since 2011.

#18 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2042 posts) -

Things should be popping once Giant Bomb Antarctica opens up

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -

We're on the verge of a massive change, I just wish we could hold it together until the new hires are settled before we begin the doomsaying, because right now, nobody knows what direction the site's going to take.

#20 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5227 posts) -

@sethphotopoulos: That part is cool, but him not being around in GB HQ in SF for the Bombcast, UPF, other stuff is a bummer.

Scoops, The Wolf, And Small Business Man. That part does suck though. I hope they end up doing stuff like that in New York since he's a video guy.

#21 Edited by FreedomTown (269 posts) -
@slag said:

Given the big news lately with Vinny/GBNY and inbound new hires, I think by this fall will see a really different Giant Bomb with a lot of new content.

If there ever was a time for cautious optimism and a wait & see attitude it's probably now.

Frankly I feel more optimistic about the future of Giant Bomb now than I have at any time since buyout happened. Now we have real tangible evidence of the plan and future of the site. I don't know if ultimately I'll like what it ends up being, but there is a direction and a visible goal which is something I don't feel we've had for since 2011.

@slag: I'd say I agree with this answer. You are right, There is a direction set. And you are also right about not knowing if we will end up liking how it plays out. But at least there does seem to be a direction.

#22 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10889 posts) -

@sethphotopoulos: The vibe I'm getting is that Vinny and Alex will be working in an office, the goal being that they can put out more video content than either could do on his own. And I'm sure he'll be Bombin' in the AM too, even if we occasionally hear the sounds of his family (children are noisy) in the background.

Moderator Online
#23 Posted by ejiehi (123 posts) -

Quantitatively how much content do you want them to put out? Right now they are putting out a muti-hour podcast which eats most of their Monday or Tuesday, they usually put out one or two QL's maybe more so that's another couple of hours. They have been doing more unfinished videos essentially a QL at say one or two a month. They have UPF every Friday which is about a two hour show. Every other week lets say they have an addition subscriber stream. They have been putting out additional subscriber only podcasts.

So think about the raw time it takes to shoot video or roll tape in addition to any editing they need to in addition to the render times, add in CBSi meeting ect, and divide this by the staff they have. If you still don't think it's a great value proposition then fine, but as addition people are hired you should see more overall content. Post E3 seems like when they are planning for this to happen. Btw planning events such as pax, and e3 takes time too.

#24 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1562 posts) -

Things should be popping once Giant Bomb Antarctica opens up

Every timezone at the same time!

#25 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5402 posts) -

We're on the verge of a massive change, I just wish we could hold it together until the new hires are settled before we begin the doomsaying, because right now, nobody knows what direction the site's going to take.

Yeah, really. I understand things like moving across the country aren't something you can just put off at your leisure, but it really would've been nice for the new Sf hires to be introduced and established among the site before the expansion was announced. Uncertainties and nerves are at an all time high right now, so hopefully things start rolling out soon.

#26 Posted by andmm (213 posts) -

@ejiehi: That doesn't mean it's good content. UPF is really getting stale and some of the Quick Looks have been painful to watch.

The fun of GB is the spontaneity or at least it used to be. I feel like they are stuck in a rut for a while now.

Guess we'll see what comes next

#27 Posted by ejiehi (123 posts) -

To be clear I'm not saying not to ask for value from your subscription. I just wanted to have some perspective of time in the conversation. Shit is tight.

#28 Edited by HeyGuys (345 posts) -

@sethphotopoulos: The vibe I'm getting is that Vinny and Alex will be working in an office, the goal being that they can put out more video content than either could do on his own. And I'm sure he'll be Bombin' in the AM too, even if we occasionally hear the sounds of his family (children are noisy) in the background.

My worry is whether two people alone can regularly create substantial, meaningful content and justify the costs necessary for them to operate in anyway similar to the main office. Without an actual staff on hand it doesn't seem like a real expansion would be possible. As much as I like Bombin' in the A.M. more content in a similar vein to that is not going to work.

#29 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

This was never a premium feature, but I really miss I Love Mondays. It was nice to just see the guys in the office at the start of every week and get a sense of the general plan and what to expect for the next few days.

I'm not currently a subscriber to the site as the premium stuff they have been doing lately isn't the stuff I care about seeing. The live shows have never been my cup 'o tea. I like Jeff's Jar videos and Vinny by himself or with one other person playing some random game in a non-live show setting. Also enjoy Drew and Patrick playing older games quite a bit.

#30 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5227 posts) -

@heyguys said:

@mooseymcman said:

My worry is whether two people alone can regularly create substantial, meaningful content and justify the costs necessary for them to operate in anyway similar to the main office. Without an actual staff on hand it doesn't seem like a real expansion would be possible. As much as I like Bombin' in the A.M. more content in a similar vein to that is not going to work.

I imagine they could get east cost devs the way Patrick got Chicago devs to do stuff.

I mean these guys are in the east right?

#31 Edited by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

TnT, and drew playing random flight sims were never premium content though. At least not live, i used to watch tnt all the time.

It seems like most the stuff is premium content now, breaking brad, vinnyvalia, dota, spookin, etc. Only free stuff are quick looks and alot of patricks content.

#32 Posted by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

I really do hate the the getting used to a new office is an excuse, it was an excuse two years ago but they can't say that anymore. I gave them a pass then and actually did enjoy the content that they were able to do. They tried their best with the TNTs and had some good ones, Dave's Fortress was a fun and they eventually got around to some of my favorite things they did like the Olympic games videos were extremely interesting to see the evolution of those games and Ryan and Brad just talking about the Olympics, which then led to the Ryan and Patrick Pokemon Snap (which was a nostalgia trip for me) and the SimGolf stream was fantastic period.

It just feels like they constantly hide behind excuses of why they can't do this or more of that. First it was adjusting to a new office, ok that makes sense but two years later....come on, that is bullshit really. Then Patrick leaving was an excuse for lack of content, which the unfortunate death of our dear Ryan of course had an effect on things and we gave them time and they recovered, we got some great stuff like Unplugged and the Dark Souls thing was great, Ian, Vinny and Rorie were great on that. Then 2014 comes around and fucking nothing interesting. Really? A Demon's Souls playthrough right after Dark Souls? Wasn't for me but people enjoyed it but in no way are people going to direct new subscribes to go watch that (they always tell them to watch the content from 2010 and 2011....probably a reason for that). They lean so heavily on Unprofessional Fridays for their premium content but most will agree, it needs a change or something. I can't thing of a great UF in over 6 to 9 months that would be something I want to watch again. The only game of note really this year they have played is Gang Beasts and they now have played it 3 times...each time less and less funny or entertaining. They got rid of TNT which while I wasn't the biggest fan of most streams, once every few months there would be a fantastic one that everyone should watch. But they retired that....retired RPCG, retired Flight Sims, retired LOLS, BB comes and goes often, no more BLLSL, streams longer than 2 hours? Fuck that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the last content that I really, really enjoyed was the 24 stream in November. The last time it felt fresh and anything could happen. That was the stream where Vinny shocked his balls remember. Don't tell me that they are still recovering from that stream...

I'm excited for GBNY after thinking about it for hours. At first I was worried and frustrated. But I realized that a Vinny not chained is a Vinny that creates fantastic content (Euro Truck Sim anyone?). Vinny is the only (THE ONLY) crew member now that can work and be funny with any of them, so while I was worried that there would be more Alex (I like Alex but he isn't the most entertaining), him and Vinny could do some great things and don't have Jeff or Brad hurrying things along. So my worry is SF, what are they going to do? When is the new blood coming? Is Danny joining GB because it certainly feels like it? Is the podcast just going to be Jeff, Brad and Drew....that sounds....maybe ok for a few episodes but a long stay of that will just kill my enthusiasm for Tuesdays. Really Vinny leaving means they have to step it up because right now, my interest is in what Vinny does.

I hope to be wrong and they move foreword now but GB has relied on crutches for two years now, they have recovered and need to implement these grand master plans sooner or later. Trust me, been a hell of year+. First Dave leaving was huge for me, love the hell out of him and the content he was always in. Patrick leaves to Chicago. We loose Ryan and just brings us closer as a community, where we give them as much time as they need to deal with that, hell I'm still dealing with it. Now Vinny is moving to NY. That is some heavy shit to think about where they were when the new (still) broken site was launch and where we are at the launch of new consoles as well as E3 2014. We give the crew a lot of trust and I feel like they abuse it, often. This is why I feel in love with the site in the first place, everything else feels like you have the people running the site, and the community. GB is the first place where they felt intertwined but hasn't in months, arguable in years. For a community that backs and defends them at any whim (right or wrong), it does feel like they are ignoring us. God bless Rorie for looking at the chat during Live Streams and heard is stream over the weekend was really good, I want to check it out....but I have to go to twitch to watch it....which the player barely works for me at home and school...thanks guys.

Sorry for the rant, kinda my feelings built up for awhile now. I love it here, I enjoy coming to the site often every day hoping for a new article or video or threads to chat with you all. A day where I can comment constantly often is usually a good day for me, I love video games and I love chatting about them, nothing better than with you guys who feel the same. But I hate that I still yurn for the days of Whiskey Media, the days of 2011 when I first discovered the place. I should've overcome those feelings by now, but the moment they start to head in that direction, something comes along and knocks them right back to square one.

#33 Posted by adoggz (2061 posts) -

The random DotA streams ... basically equates to Twitch broadcasts, not what I would call premium content.

Thats not true and you know it. Do twitch streams have Crispy screaming "I'M A BIRD"? that alone obviously makes GB dota premium dota.

#34 Edited by GaspoweR (2955 posts) -

@nightriff: Man you're putting in toooooo muuuuuuuch thought into that wall of text. :P

I understand though, the love/passion for the site also comes with frustration. Two sides of the same coin. Like everything else that's dependent on content there's always going to be a plateau and a drop off at some point. There really hasn't been a lack of content as much as a lack of what people in the community would consider to be "high quality" content in my opinion. Being able to catch that same high point as the early days has always been a very difficult endeavor. The guys get that people want more quality content and I'm sure they are also frustrated as heck that they can't seem to get any sort of fast traction into their more ambitious ideas (e.g. Jeff's Raid, etc.) that they've been cooking for a long time for reasons mostly unbeknownst to us since it probably has a lot to do with the way they're company is structured plus other factors (Ryan's passing being a very key factor ;_; ). Hopefully, once this new transition kicks in with Vinny getting settled and the new hires start working in the new office then we can finally see more exciting stuff.

#35 Posted by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

@gaspower: My worry isn't too much text, its that it makes sense to anyone other than me.

#36 Posted by GaspoweR (2955 posts) -

@nightriff: I was just joking with that first line! I get what you're saying so don't worry. :)

#37 Edited by VanillaPlant (145 posts) -

@freedomtown: I agree 100% with you. Watching streams of DoTA isn't very interesting, and while I like Patrick's interview podcasts, but I find him grating, so avoid most of his other content. Giant bomb isn't what it used to be, and with Vinny leaving the office, I struggle to see Jeff, Brad, and the other guys being able to make content that will entertain me. I don't know if I will be renewing for next year.

#38 Posted by The_Nubster (2094 posts) -

@nightriff: They have not said that they're getting used to the new office, and Patrick has been churning out content. It was slow for a bit after Ryan passed away, but they've been pumping things out.

What the heck do people want from this site? I have a full-time job and a social life and I've got 17 tabs of videos, podcasts and features open that I need to catch up on. I simply do not have the time, and other people have far too much. They put out a lot of content. You just happen to be able to absorb it all quickly. Don't knock them because you have more free time than they can account for.

#39 Posted by MetalBaofu (1372 posts) -

Personally, I'm fine with the content as it is now. I pay 5 bucks a month and get a live show every Friday, the premium podcasts, and whatever else pops up(VinnyVania, etc.). Of course, more content would be cool. I'm just saying that I don't feel like I'm not getting enough content for my money.

#40 Edited by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

@the_nubster: Well if we are throwing this out there, I go to school full time, work full time and have a wife and kid. That doesn't matter. The thing with the new office is that the community still throws that as an excuse to defend them when time is slow. They do put out content, I will not say it is a lot or that they are "pumping things out" but it isn't that interesting, to me. Key words are, to me. In the past they played a lot of games I had no interest in but it was there coverage and streams that changed my opinion, whether the game was better than I thought or just them having a good time with it. Thats what the new content is missing, sorry but doing a Demon's ER right after Dark was not interesting to me at all, DOTA isn't my game, I've tried to watch it and I just don't care, UF is extremely miss lately, no enthusiasm, no fun, just one of them playing a game for 30 minutes while the others talk about anything BUT the game, and "hey stop playing that shit, I have to play my game for 30 minutes so we can get the fuck out of here" attitude. Again, this is what it feels like to me. And I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

I have no issues with what Patrick is doing, he is pretty much solo and does what he can, and he is open about, says hey guys I want to do Spookin this week, sorry I have to cancel. That's what I want most is just flat out honesty, a plan, something. No reason to not have ILM to let us know what they are thinking, and if they can't do it, let us know, I hate that they planned, for months to do an MMO ending stream and when it came around, no word from the crew until the MMO ending where they said, we didn't know an exact ending time so we couldn't do it, say that in the first damn place.

#41 Edited by dolli85 (6 posts) -

I kinda agree if you compare them to total buiscit a youtube dude he makes video content very regulary with good prduction quality cutting research exept maybe wtf series wich are basicly stolen from the quick look thing he has admittet that him self. but still manages to do random streams cast for starcraft,

if you compare those 2 things tb and gb, gb has far more resources but somehow it seems they produce less content than one guy tho i think he has a guy who does cutting and stuff for videos

#42 Posted by dolli85 (6 posts) -

and i know the english in this isnt very good, sorry about that

#43 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

Things changed after the CBS buyout. Things changed again after the site-redesign (loss of site-meta). Things changed a 3rd time after ryan passed. Life changes, people move on, and to expect Giant Bomb to stay what it was is ridiculous. However I am with the OP in questioning the direction, quality, and quantity of content created as the years have gone by. I still enjoy the content that is. I still enjoy the site. However I find the golden age of both has already zoomed by. Of course I still, and will, follow Giant Bomb, I just wish I felt the same about it.

#44 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

And realistically, having Gamespot and Giant Bomb under the same ownership group is kind of redundant. Most, if not all, content generated by Giant Bomb (as well as the site itself) could (and probably should) be integrated into Gamespot.

#45 Posted by ShotgunLincoln (281 posts) -

Hey look, yet another thread where someone is dissatisfied.

#46 Edited by Lanechanger (461 posts) -

The weather's getting nicer so I've been going outside more often so I think the amount of content is fine. There was a week like last week or two weeks ago where I noticed we didn't get any (or I think it was only 1) quick look but then I looked at the new releases and understood why. *shrug*

I do agree with whoever said that they're following Vinny more than anyone right now. If there's anything that he's proven when Jeff is out is that Vinny can shake things up and inject some genuine fun into whatever he's doing. So my biggest question now is what happens to the podcast.

What I think I'm gonna do with all this massive change happening is reduce my annual sub to a monthly sub and see how things pan out so I can have some options.

#47 Edited by Sarkahn (48 posts) -

@gaspower: Completely agree. They've hinted so many times at how life in the new offices is holding them back (meetings, budgets, corporate approvals, etc) which seems like the exact fucking opposite of what the merger was supposed to do in the first place.

The thought of Vinny having more freedom to get stuff done without having to deal with any of that seems like it could be great. And I'm anxious to be introduced to the new blood. Times are changing. I fear change. But it's sorely needed, so I'm going to clench my cheeks and hope for the best.

#48 Posted by KalAl (42 posts) -

I'm just curious as to what the new incarnation of the Bombcast will look like. We've got Jeff and Brad who seem frequently annoyed with each other, and Drew who isn't the most talkative guy in the world (although he is my second favorite duder next to Vinny). Whoever they have lined up for the open slot will have to be super charismatic in order to fill Vinny's shoes.

#49 Posted by SeanCoughing (262 posts) -

Hey duders, was there a UPF tonight? I was at work so I missed it if they did. The upcoming bar has a UPF scheduled for the 23rd for some reason?

#50 Posted by Milkman (16638 posts) -

Hey duders, was there a UPF tonight? I was at work so I missed it if they did. The upcoming bar has a UPF scheduled for the 23rd for some reason?

Today is Wednesday, dude.