This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MarkM (288 posts) -

Those fuckers.

I don't want Windows 8.1 because win8 is a piece of garbo.

I don't want Xbox One because LOL

What do?

#2 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Wait for whatever Windows 9 will be and hope it isn't ass or hope 11.2 (or another update after that) is released on Windows 7. I mean, if you really don't want 11.2 that is...

Winboned.

#3 Edited by MarkM (288 posts) -

I guess this means Titanfall is going to be a DX11.2 game.

Now I'm going to have to sell blood to buy a GTXTitan.

#4 Edited by Karmum (11517 posts) -

@markm said:

Apparently Windows 9 is coming in late 2014, but might be delayed by Windows 8.2.

I'm going to ride Windows 7 like I rode XP. You sound like you're boned.

#5 Posted by TheHT (10933 posts) -

Ugh. I'm startin to get real tired of Microsoft's shit.

#6 Posted by isomeri (1226 posts) -

@markm said:

The Xbox One is like half the price of a GTX Titan. And I don't understand why this would mean that Titanfall will require DX 11.2.

#7 Edited by Karmum (11517 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@markm said:

The Xbox One is like half the price of a GTX Titan. And I don't understand why this would mean that Titanfall will require DX 11.2.

The Xbox One is going to have DX 11.2, and in theory if it's being released on the PC (in 2014) as well, after the release of W8.1, it's going to require (or support) DX 11.2.

#8 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@markm said:

No they already said in some interview that it will be on Win 7.

#9 Posted by Ben_H (3319 posts) -

Well I guess I won't be playing any DX 11.2 games then.

#10 Posted by SomeJerk (3159 posts) -

CrunchBang linux does everything I need but run some Hauppauge equipment and all PC games, so I'm almost at the point where I can switch and not miss Microsoft the slightest.

#11 Posted by Hunkulese (2657 posts) -

Stop being a hipster and get off the windows 8 hate train. It's better than 7 in every important way.

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

It won't matter if PS4 outsells it. Plus, on a closed system companies can mimic whatever advances the new DX might have.

#13 Posted by SlashDance (1806 posts) -

Do we even know what DX11.2 does? If it's just a bunch of bullshit effects you can't even see with the naked eye, should we care at all? And if most machines can't use it, no games will take advantage of it anyway, right?

#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5489 posts) -

DX11 is fine, we can all live without .2

#15 Edited by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

Guys, Windows 8 isn't terrible. Just a heads up.

#16 Edited by zenmastah (879 posts) -

There isnt going to be that much ppl on W8 by the time Titanfall hits that they could afford to ignore W7 users.

#17 Edited by MattyFTM (14352 posts) -
@manmadegod said:

Yeah. It's pretty the same as Windows 7. And everyone loves Windows 7. The only major change is the Metro interface instead of the Start menu. Now, the Metro interface is god awful, BUT:

1. The Start menu was hugely outdated. All they've done is replace one god awful interface with a new god awful interface.
  2. If you really love the Start menu so much, you can get one through third party software.
#18 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@mattyftm: or that Windows 8.1 update instead of using third party software if you're more into getting stuff fixed easily

#19 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4167 posts) -

I'm loving this.

#20 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

Windows 8 is fine you baby.

#21 Posted by mlarrabee (2889 posts) -

Other than the ads in the included apps, Windows 8 is a better OS than 7.

Yes, unnecessary exclusivity is irritating, but considering how many gamers refused to upgrade based on hearsay I can't say I blame Microsoft too much.

#22 Edited by MarkM (288 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

First of all I wouldn't get 8.1 to have the newest version of DX because that is completely fucking stupid. How the hell does 8.1 allow for advancements in DX? They're unrelated and this exclusivity is not about technology.

Also, I wouldn't do it on principal. Windows 7 is the best OS MS have made in the last 15 years after XP.

Also, holy shit Titanfall is going to SUCK on PC. I remember them talking about having to re-engineer certain aspects of the games code to work on PC and that it is not straight forward.

Wanna know what the Titanfall franchise is going to look like on PC? Check out Gears of War on PC

#23 Posted by MattyFTM (14352 posts) -

@mattyftm: or that Windows 8.1 update instead of using third party software if you're more into getting stuff fixed easily

As far as I'm aware, the 8.1 update doesn't add a start menu. It just adds a button to bring up the metro interface. It's still the same interface, you just have a button to click to bring it up.

#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (15856 posts) -

It's pretty terrible.

#25 Edited by Hailinel (23979 posts) -

@mattyftm: I'd rather use something supposedly outdated than something terrible, and Windows 8 is garbage.

#26 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

Losedows

#27 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4167 posts) -

#28 Posted by MarkM (288 posts) -
#29 Posted by budgietheii (156 posts) -

1) Link proving DX11.2 is exclusive to those as you say please.

2) Grow up and stop being a whiny bitch about Win8. It takes a week to adapt, tops.

#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (15856 posts) -

2) Grow up and stop being a whiny bitch about Win8. It takes a week to adapt, tops.

I've already adapted. Doesn't make it not shit.

#31 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (369 posts) -

Well no shit. New versions of DirectX being exclusive to the newest Windows iteration isn't anything new.

Also, Windows 8 is fine. It's a faster Windows 7 without the antiquated menu tree that is the start menu. Does anyone actually use the start menu for anything other than the search function?

#32 Posted by geirr (2483 posts) -

Took me 3 minutes to adapt when I installed the start menu from a 3rd party.

Win8 is pretty sweet now and not to mention faster than Win7 ever was.

#33 Posted by Kidavenger (3514 posts) -

Windows 8.1 brings back the normal start menu; there is zero reason to stick with 7 once that happens, anyone that didn't see this coming...

#34 Posted by theveej (814 posts) -

@iamjohn said:

Windows 8 is fine you baby.

#35 Edited by Sogeman (866 posts) -

@manmadegod said:

I have used Win8 on my parents laptop far longer than I wish and it's pretty shitty. I'm not changing the way I use a PC just because MS thinks it's now a tablet. The backend might be better, but the frontend is a steaming pile of horseshit.

And unless they update it themselves, it will stay on Windows 8. The changes in 8.1 are worse than what I already did with a 3rd party program to bring back the start button. And mine is actually useful not the shit they're adding.

Windows 8.1 brings back the normal start menu; there is zero reason to stick with 7 once that happens, anyone that didn't see this coming...

Not really, just a bastard version of the start menu.

I'll stay on 7 until another one as good as that comes out. I don't need point upgrades to directx. Call me when there's dx12, maybe I'll be interested. I'm running fine on 9 so far though my PC could use an upgrade.

#36 Posted by JoeyRavn (4950 posts) -

@karmum said:

@markm said:

Apparently Windows 9 is coming in late 2014, but might be delayed by Windows 8.2.

I'm going to ride Windows 7 like I rode XP. You sound like you're boned.

I really like Windows 8, even more so than Windows 7. I'm fine with the shorter release times. I only wish Microsoft would use the Apple approach and integrate releases as "major updates" to their OSes. Make Windows 9 not another full-fledged Windows for those who have 8, but an incremental update you can purchase.

#37 Posted by EXTomar (4526 posts) -

History repeats itself where DX10 was never adopted and was more or less ignored because Microsoft pulled off the same stupid stunt.

#38 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

Windows 8 is a perfectly fine OS so don't speak out of your ass. I know it sucks and it's popular to hate Microsoft right now but that doesn't change the facts.

#39 Edited by GaspoweR (2835 posts) -

@darji said:

@markm said:

No they already said in some interview that it will be on Win 7.

Yep, besides Titanfall is being published by EA and not Microsoft despite them getting an exclusivity window, so I wouldn't worry about it. Also the game is running on Source plus it's a game that has been developed for years now so it's kinda weird to assume that it would require a new version of DirectX that was not even around when that game started development.

EDIT: Here's my two cents on using Win 8. I've been using Win 8 for about a few months now and I bought and installed a StartisBack license ($3 for 2 licenses, $5 for 5 licenses) so that pretty much solved problems with the omitted Start button and menu as well as to boot to Desktop and not the revamped Win8 Start screen. I've yet to encounter any major problems with playing a game that was caused by the OS (they were usually just insular problems that were related to the game install, etc.). In addition, I found the snap feature to be useful from time to time, wherein I would snap a WIn8 app to one side and then use the desktop on the other since I only have a one monitor setup.

Overall, my experience with it has been pretty good though it did require me to buy and install something to restore Start button functionality. Even during the time that I was using it without StartIsBack, I was just using the desktop a lot and I just had to readjust with what I was used to with Vista (the OS I've been using when all I had was just a laptop).

#40 Edited by tourgen (4432 posts) -

Lol so what? Anyone in this conversation actually know what the differences between dx10 and dx11.2 are let alone between 11 and 11.2? Yeah didn't think so. Don't worry about it. You're fine on win7 for awhile.

#41 Posted by ZombiePie (5592 posts) -

This thread has descended into an OS flamewar with users being disruptive on both sides and as a result it is being locked. As seen on the Forum Rules system wars style forum topics are not permitted on Giant Bomb so please ensure a level of tact and maturity with every forum topic created on the site.

#42 Posted by zenmastah (879 posts) -

@mr_skeleton:

Its pretty popular to hate MS all the time actually.