Disappointment of the Year?

• 166 results
viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Poll Disappointment of the Year? (877 votes)

Thief 4%
Assassin's Creed Unity 8%
Destiny 50%
DriveClub 2%
Watch Dogs 18%
NHL 15 1%
The Crew 1%
Master Chief Collection 4%
Elder Scrolls Online 2%
The Sims 4 1%
Titanfall 2%
Other (Please Add Comment) 8%

Every year has a number of disappointments. This year was no exception. I'm curious which would be the top, so I made a poll.

• 
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I had fun with Watch Dogs, I had fun with Destiny to but Destiny is a Massively underwhelming game with no story or big events the core is so strong but literally everything besides the graphics and moment to moment shooting is shallow in a way ill never understand.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

@gaspower: Fair point. It's hard to try and keep in mind that there's no such thing as "the internet", just untold amounts of voices and perspectives. GB just tended to have a nice, moderate, open-minded, curious community. That magic is gone. Videogames are now officially serious fucking business even here. To clarify, behind the scenes they've been that for a while but I liked the light-hearted, irreverent spirit GB took a lot more than the nerdy, self-serious, preachy alternative.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly can't think of any games that disappointed me this year. I haven't played and wasn't excited for any of the games in the poll or really any big high profile games. Well there was South Park and Bayonetta 2 but those are both fantastic games.

bhurnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 11

Haven't actually played any of the specific games listed as options, but I'd have to go with Elite: Dangerous anyway - I haven't played it either, even in the pre-release stages, but I regret paying for it based on hype considering what I got in the end. Civ: Beyond Earth would probably be next, except that I never expected it to be good (and so didn't bother buying it at all).

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By CastroCasper

NEVER NOT SPORE

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Confession: I have only played one of the games on the list and I still voted.

Watch_Dogs was the "lucky" winner of my vote.

Also I had completely forgotten about TES Online. I didn't even know that it had already been released but I also haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

oh wow ... wwwwwooooowwwwwwwww I forgot Elder scrolls online happened this year.

I mean I knew it would be bad so it wasn't a disapointment but I still forgot about its existance.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#58 FinalDasa  Moderator

While I was hoping a lot of games would end up being good, WWE 2K15 was a big disappointment. I really enjoyed 2K13 and though I didn't expect as much packed into a new game on a new generation of hardware, I didn't expect almost everything to be ditched. The Attitude Era and Road to Wresltemania "story" modes in the previous two games really made it seem more than just a sim game. It gave off the idea of reliving old story lines and inspiring you to create and live our your own.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Lazyimperial

In all honesty, Assassin's Creed: Unity disappointed me the most this year. Yeah yeah yeah, it's part of a serialized franchise that has churned out a game a year. However, I happen to really like that serialized franchise. Assassin's Creed 1 wowed me back in 2007 with its proof-of-concept triumph, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood were wonderful, Revelations was fun despite the tower minigames, Assassin's Creed 3 had some charms here or there, and Black Flag was absolutely freaking marvelous. I loved it, so much so that I even enjoyed the heck of Assassin's Creed: Rogue, which was Black Flags 2.0 in the Atlantic.

But Unity... Unity. *grimace* The game was bugged beyond my wildest expectations, the restriction to that single city felt very claustrophobic after Black Flag and Rogue, and I just didn't like the main character very much. The Assassins also come across as insane cultists in eagle robes living in catacombs, which is not really flattering and doesn't really help sell the whole meta-story too well about video gamer assassin trainees (ugh, I really just typed that).

The funny thing is though, I managed to ignore a lot of the above, came to view Paris as one of the main characters (which helped a lot with being stuck in it), and then progressed enough to realize that every piece of good gear has a hideously obnoxious grindy price attached to it... unless you wanted to "hack it" with Helix points or play the Unity Companion App for your tablet or smartphone. That killed it for me. I went into Destiny not expecting much after the beta, and I was expectantly disappointed. However, I never thought Assassin's Creed: Unity would disappoint me. I never thought it would adopt an AC version of "smurfberries" and try to nickel and dime me while also pushing me to use a broken app to unlock stuff. $60 for a game, $20 for a season pass, and you want me to buy Helix points on top of all that? NO F'ING WAY. You've obviously lost your minds over there, Ubisoft. That or your sense of decency. :-/

A free game? Thanks, but you left Helix points in. I'd rather have had those removed from the game, the Companion App made separate from all gear unlockables, and gold prices for items lowered to compensate. Not going to happen though, I know. I'm honestly worried about the next game in the franchise. The though of Victorian London makes me smile, but what if they do the same thing with helix points, rubbish apps, an AC: Initiates website program to further complicate matters, etc.? I might actually lose interest at long last, which I guess is overdo. Been a long ride.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NTM

Probably Destiny, since that's the one I had the most interest in, even though I kind of knew what to expect leading up to the game, and partially expected it to be what it was when we first heard about it, but its lack of content was the biggest disappointment for me alongside its weak story (all that can be said for Titanfall too though). I really wanted to explore all, or most of the planets and some moons in the solar system. It wasn't the worst game on that list though. I don't think The Master Chief Collection belongs on here, even if it has its problems... I can understand Watch Dogs being on there, but I enjoyed it myself.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wanted to answer Titanfall, but I feel most people knew it wasn't going to be anything big, just a lot of marketing. So not really a disappointment. Whereas Destiny had a lot of hope, and people were genuinely let down.

See, you could look at this in different ways.

• Was made up to be something everyone knew it wouldn't be.. (Titanfall)
  • A lot of hope from everyone, following a let down. (Destiny)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Destiny.

It could have been so much more than what it actually was.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Exactly, I had high expectations for the evil within since unlike the previous two projects for Mikami this game had full support from one of the biggest western publishers in the industry. What came out in the end was flawed execution overall.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By Dixavd

I picked "Other (Please Add Comment)" because I had no good expectations for any of the listed games. That said, of the games I did look forward to (and played - I have played very few) this year that I find a little disappointing is Dark Souls 2 - mostly because of the lacklustre beginning of that game. That said, it's disappointing only in that I thought the original Dark Souls is a phenomenal game, and I think that Dark Souls 2 is great. So I'm actually very positive about DS2.

P.S. Thanks for saying "Please", that made me smile for some reason.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Destiny for me and it's not even close.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#67  Edited By big_jon

Destiny because that game is pretty poop.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By gike987

As someone who really disliked Sims 3: Sims 4 got be into the series. It's impossible to go back to a time before multitasking. The open world from Sims 3 needed to go. It killed the performance and your Sims spent a large part of their day just moving between places. The open world was something that I thought sounded really nice in theory but I think it ended up being one of the biggest mistakes. Furthermore, I thought that Sims 3 also lacked the soul of the two first games unlike Sims 4. Sims 4 may be somewhat light on content compared two previous games with all expansions, but all Sims base games are. It's kind of insane to expect it to include everything from the previous installments expansions: it would be a huge game. I feel like a lot of people prepared to unjustly hate it because of the disappointment that was SimCity. It's probably one of my favorite games of the year, I would never award it GotY though.

Transistor was my biggest disappointment by far. I really didn't like the combat, the same goes for the story. I also liked the music less than Bastion.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was so looking forward to Watch Dogs. Sad that it was perfectly "fine" all around. At least if it had a real dumb story I could've gotten a laugh or two.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By UitDeToekomst

AC: Unity, I guess. I didn't have huge expectations for it and was very pleased that it had no boat shit whatsoever in it, but the whole thing just felt kind of sleazy. Thief was bad, but I didn't think it wouldn't be. Watch Dogs and Destiny were mediocre but I didn't think they wouldn't be, either. ESO didn't come out on consoles, which I found disappointing, but i still hold out hope for next year. I am having a lot of fun with NHL 15 and haven't played The Crew.

I'm surprised by all the Civ: Beyond Earth folks. I have really enjoyed the heck out of that game so far.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@somberowl said:

People love to be disappointed. I thought it was a pretty good year.

They really do. After years on this forum nothing quite gets attention like a disappointment thread. It's become a catch all word for every negative feeling towards a game. I find not having expectations helps.

While you're not wrong that threads centred around negativity tend to get the most attention (that AC: Unity & Hatred are the most talked about games this year alone proves that) I don't think that's something that's necessarily restricted to our forum and is just a... people thing in general.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointment of the Year is not having played any of those and therefore not knowing which is the Disappointment of the Year.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Destiny

diehappygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Brad managed to keep Destiny from "winning" disappointment of the year, I've lost my faith in GB.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By themangalist

Other: GamerGate.

Somehow it's this for me. OP should just add "Humanity" as an option.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I definitely has to be Destiny it was hyped so much there were saying it can never be beat and have lots of replay value and we got a game with a lame story and really repetitive.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A few weeks ago I would have said Destiny, but considering that Master Chief Collection is still screwed up, I'm voting for that. Extremely disappointing that this game still does not work as it should after over a month. Destiny was very underwhelming, but when that turned out to be the case I just played it for a month and then sold it. Master Chief is something I wanted to play badly and having it turn out the way it did was pretty crushing, all the moreso because I haven't given up on it and it just contains to disappoint.

Titanfall being on the list is kind of a joke. That game was good. Not a revolution, but very good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Destiny? It looked cool and I was hoping it would be borderlands on steroids... but it turned out to just be a kinda mediocre fps/mmo hybrid that I stopped caring about a few hours in.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@kanerobot: I feel like MCC doesn't even deserve "disappointment of 2014" but rather just nominated for "most broken 2014"

Whereas Destiny is the most disappointing because it's disappointing in all it's intended glory haha

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was really looking forward to Dragon Age, and I was very disappointed by it.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thief: thought it was going to be boring so was not surprised
as unity: diddent care about it and would be surprised if it actually was good
destiny was disappointing but it was still good and fun for a while.
driveclub: diddent buy in to the hype and im not a big racing fan. it was busted all to hell yes. but thought it was gonna be mediocre anyway
watch dog was just a boring open world game done poorly. i diddent buy in to the hype. most disappointing imo
nhl 15: what? i really could not care about nhl games anyway, dont even know what was disappointing about it. or could not remember it
the crew: same as drive club thought it would be better then that one but overall no real big interest
halo collection: im not a halo guy so i diddent care about it. if i had a xbox and actually liked the games then sure.
elder scrools online: really? your telling me a mmorpg that would fail and seemed like the idea of the game was hey people like es and wow is still a cash machine. lets make a hit. not surprised
sims 4: never cared about the sims.
titan fall: that game was still great, it had its issues from what i thought it was gonna be, but i still liked it. and i normally dont like online shooters that much.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of surprised to see Dark Souls 2 listed as much as it was. I know people didnt like it as much as the original, not to the extent of full on most disappointing game of the year though! Wasnt as good as the first one, but I really didnt think it was that bad. DS1 was like a 8-9, and DS2 was like a 7-8 imo.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Gotta go with Destiny, although I was never super hyped about it to begin with. It's by no means a bad game, but since this is Bungie working with (presumably) a crapload of Activision money, it's baffling how they made a game so lacking in content. Looking back at the way they were talking about the game, how this was the biggest game world they ever made, how you'd have stories to tell about the gear you had acquired, etc., you can't help but wonder if their staff had been indoctrinated at some point or if they genuinely believe the game they made is fantastic.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Quarters

Destiny was pretty rough. I have to go with that.

As a side note, I actually really dug Watch Dogs. That's maybe one of this year's better surprises for me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#87  Edited By ArbitraryWater

My personal one? Civ: Beyond Earth. The "winner"? Destiny.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By ch3burashka

People really don't understand what "disappointment" means. Maybe I'm underestimating how much people dislike Destiny (maybe because the numbers don't support that), but at least it's playable.

Unity? Broken, after several patches, and that's a series people still (presumably) cared about. Massa Chief? An incredible compilation of a series spanning three consoles. Borked as hell. Both of these games are giving away DLC to deal with all the shit their users have had to put up with.

Have some perspective, people.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My Vote:Assassin's Creed Unity. Looked like it would be epic, but Ubisoft really messed up what should have been a fantastic game with terrible bugs/glitches, lackluster story, and other issues that still plague the game to this day (which Ubisoft tries to fix through patches)

Special Mention: The whole Gamergate mess that popped up earlier this year.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

Probably The Sims 4 for me.
That they culled the open world and the story progression systems kinda made the game feel like a giant step back from the last.
I like what they've done with Sim emotions and that they have the ability to multi-task, among a few other convenience features but I'm still debating whether the "upgrade" has been worth it.

As an aside Watch_Dogs is probably in my Top 3 games of the year.
I can see why some might find it disappointing but I didn't go in with great expectations, I didn't really care that the game didn't look like it did in the E3 teaser, from the get go all I expected was a solid stealth game/shooter that let me blow shit up with my phone and creepily peer into the private lives of cities denizens - and I got what expected. So I was happy.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#92  Edited By Hector

Definitely Destiny, I was really disappointed when I finally played the game and the amount of content there was. I was under the assumption this game was something else altogether from all the trailers and talk before launch.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really didn't expect to like Destiny, but I had high hopes for Watch Dogs. Both sucked, but Watch Dogs wins.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I did not give a fuck about Destiny, it's Assassin's for me.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. For people that just like puzzles it was fine, but for people who actually cared about the characters and story of those games it was a slap in the face. I wasn't expecting it to be Game of the Year or anything, but I didn't expect it to sour my opinion of the whole series, which it did.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By strainedeyes

I was disappointed with Destiny, but I have also put 70+ hours into the game and still hop back in frequently. It's not what it should have been, at all, but I got my money's worth.

Watch Dogs was supposed to be something fresh and awesome, and it just wasn't

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By John1912

@benderunit22 said:

Gotta go with Destiny, although I was never super hyped about it to begin with. It's by no means a bad game, but since this is Bungie working with (presumably) a crapload of Activision money, it's baffling how they made a game so lacking in content. Looking back at the way they were talking about the game, how this was the biggest game world they ever made, how you'd have stories to tell about the gear you had acquired, etc., you can't help but wonder if their staff had been indoctrinated at some point or if they genuinely believe the game they made is fantastic.

I think it was supposed to be everything they promised, but from the sound of it Activision had them gut the story to attract more casual gamers less then a year from launch, and then had them gut more content to sell as dlc. So they wasted a huge amount of time "fixing" the game, poorly piecing together the holes that left behind. Then they did not bother to even change the PR campaign for the downgraded product, which was practically fraud imo.

Sounds like MS was never going to let them make anything other then Halo games, but they seemed like they had more say in their product. Activison seems to have just walked all over them, which is rather astounding thing to do to a high quality developer right out of the gate. I have to feel they may have regretted leaving MS at this point.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@deathofrats360 said:

Other: GamerGate.

Somehow it's this for me. OP should just add "Humanity" as an option.

Humanity would win every year.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Transistor ended up really disappointing me. I loved everything about the game except for playing it. I just couldn't stand it.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Loved ACU, Driveclub and Destiny. I actually kind of liked Thief. I didn't play any of the others on the list except for Watch_Dogs, which I just did not enjoy and I had hoped that I would - so that's probably the game this year I found most disappointing.

And even though I love Driveclub, I will say that it kind of disappoints me in another way - I really think the core game is excellent and so it's disappointing that the game's launch and online have been just a disaster. I think it's a shame people see said disaster and (understandably) keep away, or assume the game is bad and it's a shame there's no PS Plus version for people to play and see if the game's handling/structure click with them or not. So even though I really like Driveclub, it's a pretty big disappointment in that regard.