#51 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I have been with this community longer then any other forum community before. That is partially because I have yet to be banned.

lol

You're kinda sweet :D

#52 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yup, that sounds like GiantBomb.

#53 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Dagbiker said:

I have been with this community longer then any other forum community before. That is partially because I have yet to be banned.

lol

When I wrote that I was mostly thinking about The Escapest, where, for some dumb reason, you are not aloud to have one sentence answers. So I was given a three day suspension for writing "No" to a guys yes or no question.

#54 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

It's not the best online video game community I've ever been a part of (Something Awful), but it's also not the worst (GameFAQs). It lies right in the middle most of the time and occasionally reaches to one end or the other. I figure the only way to really change a community is to be the change I want to see in it, so I usually try to have something substantial and interesting to say and to think and edit before I post.

#55 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

Eh, its usually the first few comments that are "clever or smart" but if you get into the thread there are some awesome member like @Cloudenvy: @Dagbiker: @Morrow: Just buckle down and you'll find Giant Bombs community is awesome. EDIT: This is my nicest post ever.

Aww, I got a honorable mention! So nice! :D

#56 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3327 posts) -

All forums on the internet run around the 30-70 average, no matter what anybody says. That's 30% something, 70% dicks.

I know it can be disheartening to post something only to have no reploes/dick replies but just stick with it. It's an odds game. The more posts you make the more likely you'll connect with individuals who you can stomach having a conversation with. Then you'll have conversations with them again and your people pool will grow a little larger. Voila: community.

Also, fuck everybody on this page who's written "If you don't like it go somewhere else" -- if you don't know why, then fuck you twice.

#57 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Eh, its usually the first few comments that are "clever or smart" but if you get into the thread there are some awesome member like @Cloudenvy: @Dagbiker: @Morrow: Just buckle down and you'll find Giant Bombs community is awesome. EDIT: This is my nicest post ever.

Aww, I got a honorable mention! So nice! :D

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

#58 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

This is probably the nicest internet community I've ever been a part of. I'm guilty of acting like a butthole 90% of the time, but some people on here are super nice. I even recently received a premium membership from someone (I don't know who) so now I can get my jar time on.

#59 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

This place can be a drag and there are times when I want to leave, but that's my opinion of forums in general and not specifically GB. There are worse places.

If an OP is being sincere or pouring their heart out, I'll be sympathetic, but that's me. I'm still a sarcastic person, but I tend to direct it only to people who are assholes.

I don't have a huge issue with this community, but the main issue I do have is certain people confusing whining for constructive criticism. Some are respectful with their complaints, others are just clueless dicks who do not realize they don't need to say everything they think out loud.

#60 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

GB is far far above many other gaming communities. People just like to have fun if sarcasm and snark isnt for you then your missing the point of the site which is to not take video games so damn seriously and just have fun. There's a line between being a snarky ass for some laughs and being genuinely mean. In the case of the latter the mods always step in. The sarcasm, the snark, the in-jokes its all part of the community and what makes giantbomb what it is.

#61 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4757 posts) -

@OfficeBat: You do realise this thread is just adding to the negativity?

I think one of the great missed opportunities of premium membership is not limiting forum use to the bomb-faced medal wearers.

#62 Posted by EchoEcho (827 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Morrow said:

@Dagbiker said:

lol

When I wrote that I was mostly thinking about The Escapest, where, for some dumb reason, you are not aloud to have one sentence answers. So I was given a three day suspension for writing "No" to a guys yes or no question.

I dislike the Escapist. A lot. (I'm putting this lightly.) The community there is incredibly snobbish and stuck up its own ass; very uninviting to new people or people who do not share the "accepted" general opinion about certain topics. I've yet to get in any kind of trouble over there, but part of that is because I feel absolutely no desire to get involved in discussions on their forums or in video comment threads. Haven't really given myself the chance to get suspended or banned.

@ajamafalous said:

@OfficeBat said:

This one of the first online communities I've chosen to be a part of

Well, there's your problem. If you think GB is bad you might as well never use any forum ever.

Seriously. If you think GB is bad, I suggest you avoid just about every other gaming forum out there. It gets much, much worse. The good still outweighs the bad here, for the most part, which is way more than I can say for most any other site I've looked into. Every forum is going to have its handful of people who believe it's their job to be snarky and inconsiderate, even the good ones. This is still the Internet, after all -- there is no such thing as a completely idealistic haven.

#63 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

I think one of the great missed opportunities of premium membership is not limiting forum use to the bomb-faced medal wearers.

I feel like that's going a little too far; a premium-only forum section/chat section would be great, though!

Anyway, a big point everyone has brought up is the fact that Giant Bomb is actually one of the better communities in the Internet at this point of time. I mean online communities as a whole have seen better days, but it's to be expected with how easy it is to access the Internet nowadays that this kind of stuff happens, unfortunately. Nevertheless, I feel like as long as even only a handful of people are thoughtful about making discussion there's no reason to feel brought down by the worse parts of the Internet.

#64 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -
@BigDaddy81 said:

but what really grinds my gears are those people who post in threads just to tell everyone that they don't care about the subject of the thread, ergo it's not important enough to discuss. I really don't understand why people feel the need to do that. If you're not interested in a particular subject, don't post in the thread and shit on everyone who wants to discuss it.

Well said. That's probably my biggest issue with any forum: people who seem to think their lack of interest in something is important and that everyone should know. If you don't like it and don't have anything constructive to say, go away. 

I like Giant Bomb. I vastly prefer it to Team Liquid now. TL used to be great but now it feels incredibly negative there and like you need a full bibliography with each post or some kinda crazy person will attack your post for no reason whatsoever. Not to mention it is turning into TMZ with more people caring about stupid community drama than the actual games discussed there.

The only thing I would change is maybe be a little more strict, particularly when it comes to garbage posts (for example, you still see crap like "cool story bro" or meme image spam). Give people warnings if they continually do stuff like that because all it does is litter the forum with garbage posts and inflate people's post counts (because apparently that means something and they then use it to be condescending to others). 

Also, pro tip, if you don't like the assholes who respond to your posts in a negative way in attempt to get you mad, just turn off notifications for responses. I did that a couple years ago and it makes for a much easier going forum experience. They're gonna do that sometime (because they feel they need attention), so might as well deny it to them early.
#65 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

there is no such thing as a completely idealistic haven.

It exists - in my head.

Ha. Now you're all invited into my head to make party. Yay :D

#66 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1687 posts) -

This is really the only internet community I've spent a significant amount of time with, mainly because the duders 'round here are mostly cool. Maybe you just had some unlucky experiences? There are always gonna be some not-so-nice folks where ever you go on the internet, but they tend to be at a minimum on GB as far as I can tell.

Don't go, OfficeBat! We need you to get those reports filed, and also to fly around and stop crime!

#67 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The forums can be a little rough sometimes, but overall it is much better than many other communities. I've noticed the level of sarcastic/snark filled posts/comments tend to fluctuate throughout the year. Hopefully we'll see less of them once summer ends.

#68 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

If you need further proof that this community is ok check out the Patrick Appreciation thread that was made after his father died. Everyone was nothing but respectful. When Claude's wife died and he posted about it again everyone was there to support him. When the chips are down the community usually pulls through in a way most others dont. This is the only website I've paid money to be a part of and it always feels worth it.

#69 Posted by ModernAlkemie (363 posts) -

I think there is just a general trend in online forums that selects for negative responses. I think people with angry or just negative attitudes generally feel a stronger compulsion to throw their unedited comments out there than do people with neutral/balanced comments.

Also, with it being the internet, it is always very difficult to gauge the intention of someone's comment. Plenty of people will come off as being a dick when they were just trying to inject some good-natured humor.

#70 Posted by BigDaddy81 (329 posts) -

@Ben_H: I agree that a more strict enforcement by the mods would would alleviate a lot of the problems with the forums here. Giant Bomb is the only community I really want to associate with, so it's a shame to see a few bad apples trying to ruin a good time to draw attention to themselves.

#71 Edited by Portis (1287 posts) -

@OfficeBat said:

but most of what I've read in the forums is negativity.

It's a video game message board. They're all like this.

I love this place personally, but I do feel the moderation is really lax here. Whether that is a positive or a negative to you is the question -- I personally don't really care. No one is forcing me to post here.

#72 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Meh, there's a bunch of assholes, sure, but I have met a bunch of nice people all the same.

#73 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Portis said:

@OfficeBat said:

but most of what I've read in the forums is negativity.

It's a video game message board. They're all like this.

Fixed

#74 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

There's a lot of cool duders on here. There are a lot of assholes here as well. I just ignore it all, unfortunately I feel like I'm ignoring more threads than I used to.

#75 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@JEC03 said:

It's sad that people care about internet forums.

I'll have to ask you to qualify your point about what makes caring for an online community some of us are keeping alive by actually paying money on a monthly/yearly basis sad.

I mean the forums are probably the last part of the site that people (including myself, admittedly -- I mainly paid to support the editorial staff's video content) are paying money for, but the forums is still definitely up there in terms of being most representative of Giant Bomb as a community. Even for those who don't have some sort of financial stake in this website, there is nothing wrong about thoroughly enjoying posting on a forums to the point of feeling passionate about the community. Online interaction like browsing and discussing on forums is still a social activity, and I don't understand why someone would consider any type of harmless social activity such as that as sad.

#76 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

gb has its share of good and bad. it could be worse though. a lot worse.

#77 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I feel like that's going a little too far; a premium-only forum section/chat section would be great, though!

Anyway, a big point everyone has brought up is the fact that Giant Bomb is actually one of the better communities in the Internet at this point of time. I mean online communities as a whole have seen better days, but it's to be expected with how easy it is to access the Internet nowadays that this kind of stuff happens, unfortunately. Nevertheless, I feel like as long as even only a handful of people are thoughtful about making discussion there's no reason to feel brought down by the worse parts of the Internet.

I only became a subscriber this month but I would still oppose limiting it to subscribers. There are good people here that don't subscribe and there are also subscribers who are asses. The community can only grow and improve if more people join, restricting it to subscribers only would limit that growth.

#78 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Mah boys Londrick breaks it down easily (Ignore the talk about wrestling, but still). Negative cosmic energy everywhere

Also, if you got a problem? Say it to my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

#79 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

I'm just throwin in that I think the GB community is one of the best on the internet. Apart from forums dealing with very specific QA type situations (for example Stack Exchange and XNA), the people here are exemplary. Especially when considering the user base. Hardcore gamers tend to be the most elitist, over-entitled ass hats online yet they're at a minimum here. Most times, you can tell by the thread topic what types of responses will be inside and almost every thread will have a few posts here and there that are all snark, no content but thems the breaks. Ignore them and converse with the people you feel you should be talking to.

When you go out in public, you don't listen to everyone talking in your vicinity or even in your direction, you have a conversation with the people you're with and interested in.

I've encountered overwhelmingly awesome people whenever I post on these boards. A large part of that may be that I tend to ignore the chaff and insane ramblings of trolls but that's something anyone can do. Also, the mods appear to be cool, community involved and don't abuse power. Also, the bulk of the Wiki available to browse on this site is community generated. Think about that. Whenever you go looking for obscure games and/or other game related information, that shit was made by the community. Fuck yea.

#80 Posted by MB (12420 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

@Ben_H: I agree that a more strict enforcement by the mods would would alleviate a lot of the problems with the forums here. Giant Bomb is the only community I really want to associate with, so it's a shame to see a few bad apples trying to ruin a good time to draw attention to themselves.

Enforcement of the rules is a fine line that I've been walking since, well, before the site launched. On one hand we want to eliminate as many assholes as possible, but on the other, we can't be so strict that the rules prevent people from having a good time. This is why when we sat down and wrote the site rules years ago we left them basic and intentionally vague as opposed to having pages and pages of legalese like some other websites do, with a rule for every possible scenario. Ultimately the rules boil down to "Down be a dick and don't do anything illegal" with a few finer points added in for clarification.

We don't ban many people and don't really need to anymore. At this point, most people know what is expected of them and the community quickly lets them know when they step out of line. If that fails then we will handle the problem user in question.

I'm open to suggestions as to how you think this system can be improved, though.

#81 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

Now that would strip GB off of many members. It would also be unfair to limit a community only to paying members.

#82 Posted by NarficAcid (86 posts) -

As someone else who just lurks around and posts every now and then, I understand where you're coming from. But if you want to "be part of the community" you just kind of have to drown that stupid crap out. As others have said above me, that is simply something that comes with being part of the internet. There are people here who will give you thoughtful, reasoned responses; and there are stupid trolls who have fallen prey to the "Internet Fuckwad Theory." But all in all, I think the ratio here is way better than most sites out there. What I still think is the best and worst thing about the internet is that everyone gets to have their voice heard. Just learn who's voices you want to actually listen to.

#83 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

@MB: Require a serious statement after a sarcastic remark.

Yeah, I don't know how this could be fixed, but then again I don't feel that there is a problem.

#84 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

First of all, you're reacting to negativity and complaining with a post that is negative and complaining?....

Like others have said on this post, compared to a lot of other online communities, GB is actually pretty positive overall. Sure people post snarky remarks, but most people mean well or are just joking around. I found it stranger that there are post by people complaining about people negative. That's just illogical.

#85 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

We're constantl striving to improve community interactions as moderatores. MB has establised this. The problems are not specific to this site, but to the internet as a whole. Sadly, anonymity seems to make people think they have a license to be dicks.

#86 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I would tend to agree with the general idea of this post.

For a long time I stopped using Giant Bomb completely, as well as Google+ and Twitter. I was away from the social aspect of the internet for months, and it was really refreshing. As a result of this break, it's become so painfully obvious to me now just how pointless so many of the comments people leave are. It's not always people being jerks, though. For me, it's actually just more of people leaving comments that make me wonder why I'm here. Take a good hard look at some of the things you guys are posting. Does that really need to be said? I'm confident that the answer would often be no. Just spend a little bit of time actually thinking about whatever it is that you're replying to and forming a thought that is potentially interesting to others; I think that would go a long way.

I can't say that I was never part of the problem. My post count probably gives away that I was in fact a part of them problem at one point. I posted a lot of random shit that nobody cared about, so I get it. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people will grow out of this, but with the cycle always restarting with new users, it can get pretty tiring. I guess that's part of why I've drifted away from internet communities a bit.

And to the people comparing this community to other gaming sites' communities: don't do that. Don't worry about them; just worry about us. Being slightly more civil than a place you consider terrible isn't a goal worth shooting for.

To close this out, I just want to say that there's still a lot of great people here. From what I can tell, there's still great community interaction at times, too. But there's always room for improvement!

OK, I'm done waving my cane at all of you and trying to ruin your fun. Have a good one.

#87 Posted by Bogitt (201 posts) -
#88 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda

Hell no, that shit should never happen, EVER.
#89 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Now that would strip GB off of many members. It would also be unfair to limit a community only to paying members.

Yah, Plenty of paying members are shit members, and plenty of nonpaying members are great.

#90 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@GunslingerPanda

Hell no, that shit should never happen, EVER.

I agree. Sure, we'd be rid of the trolls, but there are plenty of great users who don't have a subscription. Not to mention, good users can be rewarded with a premium membership. That's how I got mine!

#91 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -
@BoG

We're constantl striving to improve community interactions as moderatores. MB has establised this. The problems are not specific to this site, but to the internet as a whole. Sadly, anonymity seems to make people think they have a license to be dicks.

So the license e mailed to me was fake huh? Damn...
#92 Edited by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

and are cool. we worked together (kind of?) on tha Luchazine, which was pretty awesome and community-ish. also and other luminaries have kept this site interesting and friendly for me. and I hate forumz. Even when I have felt the need to get into arguments with users here, it never devolved to stupidity but were generally pretty respectful and intelligent. Sometimes arguing is important you guys, everyone has opinions and its good when they clash. Thats called a discussion.

That said. I think I did post Applebees as my worst franchise in a thread about bad VG franchises. So. I am sorry.

#93 Posted by BigDaddy81 (329 posts) -

@MB: Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to imply that you guys aren't doing your jobs and then some, but I honestly do think that stricter rules can help weed out undesirables. Or at the very least the casual asshole who trolls without giving it a second thought.

Someone already pointed out the Escapist's forum policies and though I'm not a big fan of that site, I do like the way their forums are set up. In every topic I browsed, somebody had an opinion on the subject at hand, though sometimes it was pulled straight from their asses. But every post was on topic and there was none of that pointless "THIS TOPIC IS NOT RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS THEREFORE IT IS NOT WORTH DISCUSSING" posting that I've seen all to often in these forums.

I suppose I could make better use of the "Flag" option, but I usually come across more posts than I am allowed to flag. Also I would probably seem like some douchebag trying to look like a big shot.

In the end, I think we just have different philosophies on how forums should be run. And seeing as how you are a moderator on an awesome site and I am just some random asshole with too much time on his hands, I will defer to you on what the best course of action is in these matters. :)

#94 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

give me liberty, or give me death!

#95 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

So many people agreeing with the OP is surprising to me. I don't see all these 'jerks' or 'dicks' people keep talking about. What the heck! I dunno, maybe I'm just not capable of taking things too serious (myself included) so I don't notice it. Oh I do remember I took one thing seriously on here, when Tireyo made a thread about how depressed he was, and it was full of people being nice to him, so yeah.. Still don't see all this negativity being talked about.

#96 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

GB has some assholes, but this site is better than all other videogames sites that I've ever seen when it comes to community.

#97 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

This is the only community I've become part of. Everyone who I've had interactions with has been decent...yet there are some who are not.

#98 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@RenMcKormack: The days of the Luchazine were good times. I still go back and look at those old issues occasionally, and we were awesome. Haha.

#99 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

@MB: Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to imply that you guys aren't doing your jobs and then some, but I honestly do think that stricter rules can help weed out undesirables. Or at the very least the casual asshole who trolls without giving it a second thought.

Someone already pointed out the Escapist's forum policies and though I'm not a big fan of that site, I do like the way their forums are set up. In every topic I browsed, somebody had an opinion on the subject at hand, though sometimes it was pulled straight from their asses. But every post was on topic and there was none of that pointless "THIS TOPIC IS NOT RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS THEREFORE IT IS NOT WORTH DISCUSSING" posting that I've seen all to often in these forums.

I suppose I could make better use of the "Flag" option, but I usually come across more posts than I am allowed to flag. Also I would probably seem like some douchebag trying to look like a big shot.

In the end, I think we just have different philosophies on how forums should be run. And seeing as how you are a moderator on an awesome site and I am just some random asshole with too much time on his hands, I will defer to you on what the best course of action is in these matters. :)

If you are seriously suggesting that Giant Bomb gets its modding ideas from the Escapest then... Well... we disagree sir.

#100 Posted by Daiphyer (1337 posts) -

Honestly, I think Giantbomb has the best community of all video game websites. I have been in almost all the major video game forums, and Giantbomb is by far, the best community to be a part of.

I admit, for the most part, I am one of those "snarky" duders, but that's because I am too lazy on the internet to actually write anything meaningful. But then again, that snarkyness has become almost a trademark of these forums. 75% of people here are lovely duders, and that's more than I can say for any other video game website communities.