#101 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

I found it stranger that there are post by people complaining about people negative. That's just illogical.

I never understood that how are you suppose to voice your dissapointment agaisnt negativity then? that would be like saying " you can't complain about people being mean because that makes you mean as well" I don't think it does , the OP is just expressing dissapointment that's not the same as being negative.

#102 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1901 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

At first I thought you were disappointed with the community interaction between the Giant Bomb staff and the Community, and stuff like that could change. You can't change a community though, it will never happen. Every gaming website community is awesome in the beginning and then it turns to utter shit like the rest of them, sadly.

What he said, basically. I remember this site's community being so awesome, mature, and intelligent when it first started up. Most of those people are still here, but the more popular something gets, the dumber its fanbase starts to get along with it.

#103 Posted by Bocam (3833 posts) -

But this community has great members like and good members like

#104 Edited by Lava (672 posts) -

Everywhere you look on the internet there will be assholes, I agree partially with you that some people take the snarkiness a little too far sometimes, but that's how it is, and probably will be for as long as Giant Bomb exists. Just try sticking to the forums you have good discussions in? I've seen some great topics on here and love looking for them. Just a matter of filtering out what you don't want to read. Overall I think the community here is great, a lot of awesome people here who really care about video games.

#105 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

@Dagbiker: May I ask why?

#106 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Bocam said:

I can't believe this is the second time in 24 hours I've used this clip.

#107 Posted by Ben_H (3444 posts) -
@MB said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

@Ben_H: I agree that a more strict enforcement by the mods would would alleviate a lot of the problems with the forums here. Giant Bomb is the only community I really want to associate with, so it's a shame to see a few bad apples trying to ruin a good time to draw attention to themselves.

Enforcement of the rules is a fine line that I've been walking since, well, before the site launched. On one hand we want to eliminate as many assholes as possible, but on the other, we can't be so strict that the rules prevent people from having a good time. This is why when we sat down and wrote the site rules years ago we left them basic and intentionally vague as opposed to having pages and pages of legalese like some other websites do, with a rule for every possible scenario. Ultimately the rules boil down to "Down be a dick and don't do anything illegal" with a few finer points added in for clarification.

We don't ban many people and don't really need to anymore. At this point, most people know what is expected of them and the community quickly lets them know when they step out of line. If that fails then we will handle the problem user in question.

I'm open to suggestions as to how you think this system can be improved, though.

Yeah I think we're definitely lucky to be at the point we are with such lax rules compared to most forums. Most people seem to figure out by the end of their first week what is expected of them. A good comparison to the situation of this site is to Team Liquid as both have experienced huge growth (both sites get almost the same number of hits each month) in a short amount of time. Team Liquid has very strict, but fair rules, but because of how many rules there are, the mods have been stretched quite thin with the influx of new users so you just see people being permabanned or temp banned rather than being warned as soon as they start trouble (though something could be said for the competitive nature of that site versus the laid back way this site is run). We don't see that here because of many reasons, primarily the much simpler rule set and the fact the vast majority of the community has embraced the whole "don't be a dick" mentality and enforce it on new users, kind of weeding out the people who don't want to listen. The only forum I've been to that is more relaxed than GB was a forum that only had about 80 active users, and we all knew each other very well.
#108 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

Seriously dude, if you really think there's some problem with the community or whatever, making a whiny, attention-seeking thread to bitch about it is probably the last thing you should do if you want people to care.

#109 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Go to the IGN boards and come back. I don't think we're that bad. :)

#110 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

Why I disagree that the mods should mod like the escapist? Because that isn't a community, they are a group of people, who have no connection to each other, they don't know each other, they don't joke with each other, and they certainly don't play with each other.

Here we know, joke, and play. And most of all, we do not fear the mods.

#111 Edited by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@wewantsthering said:

I found it stranger that there are post by people complaining about people negative. That's just illogical.

I never understood that how are you suppose to voice your dissapointment agaisnt negativity then? that would be like saying " you can't complain about people being mean because that makes you mean as well" I don't think it does , the OP is just expressing dissapointment that's not the same as being negative.

If you feel the need to complain or point out anything, you really need to bring specific examples, otherwise you aren't adding anything to the discussion either. If the OP wants to be taken seriously, they need to point out specific examples of what they are talking about.

#112 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@AngelN7 said:

@wewantsthering said:

If you feel the need to complain or point out anything, you really need to bring specific examples, otherwise you aren't adding anything to the discussion either. If the OP wants to be taken seriously, they need to point out specific examples or what they are talking about.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

#113 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

Why I disagree that the mods should mod like the escapist? Because that isn't a community, they are a group of people, who have no connection to each other, they don't know each other, they don't joke with each other, and they certainly don't play with each other.

Here we know, joke, and play. And most of all, we do not fear the mods.

An interesting point, but I guess I'm just the kinda guy who likes strict rules and regulations when it comes to forums. I honestly believe it would push the community to behave more like adults and less like children. There are far too many people who think lax rules means freedom to act like an asshole.

I'm not saying there should be a zero tolerance policy, but there has to be a middle ground between where we are now and some Orwellian nightmare level of control.

And I do think mods should be feared, otherwise what compels people to behave on a forum? It sure as hell isn't human decency.

#114 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

The community here is tolerable compared to others but not really productive with discussion. That seems to be the way of the internet; cynicism is entertaining.

#115 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

@OfficeBat said:

This one of the first online communities I've chosen to be a part of, and so far I have been a little disappointed with the community interaction. This isn't to say that I haven't seen some positive interactions here, but most of what I've read in the forums is negativity. Usually people respond to forum posts with what they think is a "clever" "funny" remark. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the first reply to this topic is one of that sort. I have seen some really thoughtful and fun forum posts ruined by the first few commentors. It is very interesting that it is largely the same negative users I see posting time and time again on forums all over Giant Bomb. Anyway, I thought I write this up to express my disappointment with aspects of this community. I have a feeling that many of the users who feel the same as I will not reply because they simply don't participate in the discussion anymore. I would have to say that I don't blame them...I will probably be one of them.

although i agree with you that there are people on here that try to be "funny" with their comments, its a lot worse with most communities. specially the ones as big as GB (or bigger). overall the atmosphere here is relax and there's a lot of love from people giving out free copies of games etc. and that often has a nice domino effect.. i think most of the people that come across as negative are just trying to protect the site from the "noobs". i guess you can see it as an initiation for the greenhorns.. to see what you're made of. even the "funny" ones arent that bad

#116 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@csl316 said:

@FluxWaveZ

I'd like some examples, as I really haven't seen this to be a prevalent issue. There are definitely people who do their best to be jerks or overly snarky, but generally I think responses are good.

Also, I think you'd be surprised how much worse it gets on more popular gaming websites.

Indeed, in some places it devolves into madness within one or two posts. Occasionally here, you get some dumb side argument on a video or something (see any FFVII comments), but for the most part the conversation sticks to the topic at hand. Though it's probably a bit worse than it was during GB's early days, I'll admit.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the "dumb side arguments" as long as they aren't something abusive and narrow minded (Basically whenever anyone just starts ranting and dropping f-bombs because someone disagrees with them). Forums are organic, and once you release the beast, there's no telling what direction it will go. Sometimes that can be interesting; sometimes far more interesting than whatever the person started the forum topic about.

As disappointed as I've sometimes gotten with the community (mainly regarding issues of race, gender, and other discrimination), I truly do think this is one of the best places on the internet to spend you time. It's the only community I've ever felt strongly enough to become a part of.

#117 Edited by jakob187 (21775 posts) -

@OfficeBat: You've got something close to three "generations" of forum posters mingled together in one space. What did you expect there to be?

We've got the OG Bombers that were around for the first year or so...many of which probably don't even post here anymore. As a matter of fact, I KNOW they don't post here (save for Sweep because he never got banned and myself because I surprisingly have never gotten banned...and a handful of others who escape me at the moment).

You've got the crowd that showed up after their Whiskey Media move to San Francisco, which boosted the audience and draw up pretty heavily. There was also a lot of groups that came from other fallen websites over the years that we welcomed in.

Now you've got the crowd coming in from Gaf and Gamespot, which is after the CBS takeover...errr...merge....errr....whatever it is.

There's some people that just don't coexist very well, and then there are those that do just fine. There are trolls everywhere you go on the internet, and you will usually find them hiding in the caves of forums. If that has become a problem for you, then I really don't have a solution. I find plenty of places in this forum to have actual conversations with people beyond a one or two word comment. Then again, most of my comments are like this: multiple stages of ranting and listening to myself type...err...talk...err....whatever it is.

@Trilogy: lul u mad? O_O

#118 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Bocam said:

But this community has great members like and good members like

Wait... did you use my name sarcastically? Or legitimately good? Just wondering...

#119 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

@Harkat said:

I think you're taking things a little too seriously. The sarcastic snakiness is mostly for laughs. When it boils down to it, the duders here are pretty cool.

This. I can guarantee a lot of people here aren't trying to be dicks. It's just the mentality of, "if you're here then that means you can take a joke." It's coming from a 'place' of funny. It's not meant to be hurtful or anything of the sort. It's all in good fun.

#120 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@jakob187: I was here day one, I'm here too! hey! mee mee!  
And yes, Sweep is still here! He smells and he's best friends with someone who has testicles on his face! 
#121 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong Yep. One reason I don't post as much. Hard to discuss when everyone is pretending to be an "Internet asshole"
#122 Posted by OldManLight (914 posts) -

most people ARE terrible on the internet. In actual interaction with most people (i.e. community game nights) most guys are super laid back and there for the reason of having a good time. If you're getting this impression from a few people posting douchey stuff on the forums just ignore them. They'll eventually learn to go somewhere else.

#123 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@jakob187

@OfficeBat: You've got something close to three "generations" of forum posters mingled together in one space. What did you expect there to be?

We've got the OG Bombers that were around for the first year or so...many of which probably don't even post here anymore. As a matter of fact, I KNOW they don't post here (save for Sweep because he never got banned and myself because I surprisingly have never gotten banned...and a handful of others who escape me at the moment).

You've got the crowd that showed up after their Whiskey Media move to San Francisco, which boosted the audience and draw up pretty heavily. There was also a lot of groups that came from other fallen websites over the years that we welcomed in.

Now you've got the crowd coming in from Gaf and Gamespot, which is after the CBS takeover...errr...merge....errr....whatever it is.

There's some people that just don't coexist very well, and then there are those that do just fine. There are trolls everywhere you go on the internet, and you will usually find them hiding in the caves of forums. If that has become a problem for you, then I really don't have a solution. I find plenty of places in this forum to have actual conversations with people beyond a one or two word comment. Then again, most of my comments are like this: multiple stages of ranting and listening to myself type...err...talk...err....whatever it is.

@Trilogy: lul u mad? O_O

I've technically been posting since the beginning, dunno if the mods will care, but I hope not, this is my second account, my first one was made near the launch of the site and got banned after like 10 posts for seemingly no reason at all, I just assumed they thought I was DualReaver after he got banned because we lived 5 minutes away from eachother
#124 Posted by FLStyle (4927 posts) -

I joined this site and its community on March 8th 2008 and it'll take the site shutting down for me to leave it. Assholes are everywhere and are not to be taken as a representative of the whole.

#125 Posted by Danteveli (1205 posts) -

Don't get what you are talking about. GB has really nice community compared to other places. It cant always be super pretty and civil or we would be bored to death.

#126 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Bocam said:

But this community has great members like @KaosAngel @Jay444111 and good members like @Video_Game_King @Cloudenvy @mutha3. How can you not feel welcomed? On the other hand we do like to talk about Dicks alot.

b...b..

bocam-kun......
#127 Posted by hawkinson76 (376 posts) -

Given the size of the community (larger than a blog connected to an Etsy shop), there is actually a very good signal to noise ratio. If you judge things by the raw amount of noise, rather than the ratio, or worse, judge it by the quality of the worst of the noise, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Its the internet. that doesn't mean "grow a pair," it means filter out what you don't want to see. Example: I never scroll down to see the comments on mainstream news stories, they are beneath my attention. I do not judge the quality of the site's journalism on those comments, nor draw any inferences about the "average" reader. Its junk.

#128 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

Gaming communities or forums in general will always be filled with trash. Thats just how it is. That goes for so many other things, taking a subject like games and adding passionate people with different opinions to the mix, will always result in a shitstorm now and again.

You know the saying you can't make an omelet without breaking a few midgets.

So just hang around, it will get better... well no it won't, but you will learn to look the other way.

#129 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

No shit, it's the goddamn internet. This community is pretty awesome all things told.

Go to gametrailers, spend some time on those forums. I shudder remembering the few times I ventured to their forums...

#130 Posted by Ben_H (3444 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

There's also a fair number of OG Bombers like me and a some others that have been here since the start but took a break from posting for a while (for various reasons) before coming back. I quit posting (other than the rare post in the SC2 forum) for the better part of a year, and by the looks of things so did JJWeatherman and a few others. Then there were the "classic" GB personalities that got banned like Levio and Hitman (The former was funny at times. The latter legitimately scared me).
#131 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -

@CaLe: Aw. I scrolled down and saw that image before reading your message, and thought it was a really clever way at poking at the OP's sensitivity level regarding the forums.

Never mind.

#132 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

I think one of the great missed opportunities of premium membership is not limiting forum use to the bomb-faced medal wearers.

I feel like that's going a little too far; a premium-only forum section/chat section would be great, though!

That would encourage cliquey behavior, and that's something the powers that be here do not want. (Although, says I whilst donning my tin foil conspiracy cap, from what I understand there are secret group pm things making the rounds on occasion, to which I've never been privy, that might have some of that same effect, and are kept dark and secret from us, the GB proletariat... Come with me my brothers, let us rebel against this hidden Giant Bomb aristocracy and build us a new world of our own making! To arms!!)

I for one have never had a single bad interaction on this website. And I like to think of myself as something of a snarky jackass. So far no one has called me out on it though, so maybe I'm mistaken, or perhaps I'm mostly just being ignored. And snarky jackassery from others is not something that bothers me.. Especially not if it actually makes me laugh. And they are bumping a thread so that someone else who does have something to say on the matter might be able to then see the thread and respond and that seems alright by me.

(I'm only halfway through this thread so far, here's hoping it doesn't devolve into something mean spirited and embarrassing)

#133 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
#134 Edited by Village_Guy (2667 posts) -

I'm not sure what you're talking about, there is a little of it here on Giant Bomb. But from what I've seen on other sites, we generally are pretty nice here, sure we do joke around but that shouldn't be illegal should it?

This is the Internet after all, it's pretty much impossible to avoid a horde of assholes and trolls...

Penny Arcade made this one back in 2004 and it is still pretty accurate.

EDIT: I have made some stupid joke comments every once in a while, but I would never post something to just agitate or anger other people. The worst I will do is posting pictures of Ponies, but I wouldn't do that unless it makes more or less sense in the context of the thread and the rest of my post.

#135 Posted by me3639 (1857 posts) -

Im sort of confused, unless you are living in a cave we are all surrounded by dumb asses.

#136 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

The grass is greener on the other side.

#137 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

(Although, says I whilst donning my tin foil conspiracy cap, from what I understand there are secret group pm things making the rounds on occasion, to which I've never been privy, that might have some of that same effect, and are kept dark and secret from us, the GB proletariat... Come with me my brothers, let us rebel against this hidden Giant Bomb aristocracy and build us a new world of our own making! To arms!!)

Not to mention those that use the IRC chat.

Let's get together a group of people and start our own double-secret, now not-secret, PM chat club.

#138 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
@Dany said:
@TaliciaDragonsong Yep. One reason I don't post as much. Hard to discuss when everyone is pretending to be an "Internet asshole"
Pretending is the right word because most of the people that are doing it are pretty cool people otherwise.
Real shame.
#139 Edited by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

GB community is like everything else on the internet. What that is? Well, you found out about that part.

#140 Posted by TheHT (11838 posts) -

Thar be arseholes everywhere. Try not to pay attention to it and focus on what you do like.

#141 Posted by PrioritySeven (325 posts) -

@OfficeBat: I feel ya, but the GB community is head and shoulders above most others out there.

I can see by your avatar that you're alright!

#142 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

GB community is pathetic as anything else. BUT, mods keep them (mostly) away.

#143 Posted by Sweep (8986 posts) -

Having been here forever, I know that the community always has the potential for enthusiastic and articulate debate. I think that the more effort you put into your own posts, the more effort people will make in their replies. A lot of the time people just make petty, garbage threads - and as a result, other users respond in kind. However, there are abundant examples of where people have gone out of their way to write something meaningful and the response from the community has been fantastic.

You could always try hiding Off-Topic from your forum list, that might help you filter through a lot of the "less engaging" threads. As a last resort, if you find a comment that you believe to be especially obnoxious, feel free to flag it and we will take a look.

#144 Posted by Marokai (3155 posts) -
@Phatmac said:

Go to the IGN boards and come back. I don't think we're that bad. :)

^ This. 

I always get a kick out of threads like this. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen, as they say. The Giant Bomb community has all the same less awesome parts of any other community out there, but we're still way better than most. These "lol what do you expect, it's the internet" cheap shots get a little old when you consider how spoiled we are here. I've had my issues with this community in the past, but any quick glance at another video game site's forums fixed my view right-quick. We're pretty blessed here. If you don't like a dude then just avoid him, like real life.
#145 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@Sweep: So what i'v always hated with GB, is when you have a awsome fan song/movie, is called spam. But if you spell 2-30 words before that video, it's gold? I just want to share. There is soooooo much awsome things out there. But the ban hammer on people sharing is incredible. But the racists making new post again and agin, will always be good.(1 guy in mind, not everybody ofc)

End comment. Many of us are not US ppl. Many of us just want to share. But the hammer on sharing but BS talk in thread is allowed, is upsetting.

#146 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I'm sorry bro.

#147 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

I've been drifting from various places here and there though GB has been my "home" for the past three (or four?) years and while I do like the place a lot. It's far from perfect in terms of the community and actual site itself. I mean like any site those going to have it's fair share of bad apples but they're in the minor and I won't let them prevent from me enjoying the content from both the staff and other users. If you don't like someone just avoid them. It's really not that hard.

#148 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

I mean like any site those going to have it's fair share of bad apples but they're in the minor and I won't let them prevent from me enjoying the content from both the staff and other users.

I agree on that.

#149 Posted by mrfizzy (1555 posts) -

I know there is some negativity on here but all in all I would say it is a lot less than most internet forums out there.

#150 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

I like it here. The dicks to cool people ratio is better than most boards I've been on.