#151 Posted by DocHaus (1312 posts) -

Every internet forum (let alone the game-based ones) has its share of pranksters, trolls, idiots and outright assholes. You think this is bad? Try browsing /v/, or GameFAQs boards, or even YCS in its heyday. GB's community has its share of those people, yeah, but much less than many other internet communities for videogames I've stumbled across.

Maybe you need to take a break? Get away from the computer and go outside for a bit. Stretch your legs or talk to someone face to face. Then come back when you have calmed down.

#152 Posted by MB (11902 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@MB said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

@Ben_H: I agree that a more strict enforcement by the mods would would alleviate a lot of the problems with the forums here. Giant Bomb is the only community I really want to associate with, so it's a shame to see a few bad apples trying to ruin a good time to draw attention to themselves.

Enforcement of the rules is a fine line that I've been walking since, well, before the site launched. On one hand we want to eliminate as many assholes as possible, but on the other, we can't be so strict that the rules prevent people from having a good time. This is why when we sat down and wrote the site rules years ago we left them basic and intentionally vague as opposed to having pages and pages of legalese like some other websites do, with a rule for every possible scenario. Ultimately the rules boil down to "Down be a dick and don't do anything illegal" with a few finer points added in for clarification.

We don't ban many people and don't really need to anymore. At this point, most people know what is expected of them and the community quickly lets them know when they step out of line. If that fails then we will handle the problem user in question.

I'm open to suggestions as to how you think this system can be improved, though.

Yeah I think we're definitely lucky to be at the point we are with such lax rules compared to most forums. Most people seem to figure out by the end of their first week what is expected of them. A good comparison to the situation of this site is to Team Liquid as both have experienced huge growth (both sites get almost the same number of hits each month) in a short amount of time. Team Liquid has very strict, but fair rules, but because of how many rules there are, the mods have been stretched quite thin with the influx of new users so you just see people being permabanned or temp banned rather than being warned as soon as they start trouble (though something could be said for the competitive nature of that site versus the laid back way this site is run). We don't see that here because of many reasons, primarily the much simpler rule set and the fact the vast majority of the community has embraced the whole "don't be a dick" mentality and enforce it on new users, kind of weeding out the people who don't want to listen. The only forum I've been to that is more relaxed than GB was a forum that only had about 80 active users, and we all knew each other very well.

Some good points there. Back when we all sat around and came up with the rules and moderating philosophy of the forums, I based most of my decisions on the experiences I had operating a local motorcycling forum where almost everyone knew each other in real life. Things started to become a little more difficult as the site became more popular and started getting into the hundreds of thousands and then millions of registered users, but the whole "don't be a dick" thing worked really well there, and it's working well here, too.

Moderator Online
#153 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

Ok now that I've read everything (I really, really need to find better things to do with myself...) I find myself a little disappointed at just how many people seem disappointed in the GB community. I for one think this place is pretty great. (at least the forums, comments on video's and articles... not so much.) Most of the "fights" are easy enough to ignore, and pop up in places you'd expect, like discussions about what words should or shouldn't be allowed, or religious or political attack threads, or stuff like that. And for the most part if your being sincere about a question or comment, the community responds in kind.

Also I'm now sort of curious, seeing as many of my responses are snarkily inclined, if there were some form of user rating system or feedback on posts what I might get in said system considering the anti snark sentiment of many users in this thread... Though I don't think that would be a good idea if it were actually implemented. I'm just curious what my fellow duders "think" of me, I guess...

@AndrewB said:

@pyromagnestir said:

(Although, says I whilst donning my tin foil conspiracy cap, from what I understand there are secret group pm things making the rounds on occasion, to which I've never been privy, that might have some of that same effect, and are kept dark and secret from us, the GB proletariat... Come with me my brothers, let us rebel against this hidden Giant Bomb aristocracy and build us a new world of our own making! To arms!!)

Not to mention those that use the IRC chat.

Let's get together a group of people and start our own double-secret, now not-secret, PM chat club.

I was actually thinking we should just start beheading people but your idea is probably better.

#154 Posted by Sweep (8792 posts) -

@Sarkhan said:

@Sweep: So what i'v always hated with GB, is when you have a awsome fan song/movie, is called spam. But if you spell 2-30 words before that video, it's gold? I just want to share. There is soooooo much awsome things out there. But the ban hammer on people sharing is incredible. But the racists making new post again and agin, will always be good.(1 guy in mind, not everybody ofc)

End comment. Many of us are not US ppl. Many of us just want to share. But the hammer on sharing but BS talk in thread is allowed, is upsetting.

I'm going to try to answer this as best I can; The reason we have the "youtube spam" rule is because that is not what this site is for. If you want to share goofy videos then there are already plenty of other websites you can go do that. That is not the direction that has been chosen for this forum. If you can't justify why your video belongs here with a couple of paragraphs of text then it's going to be removed.

Two other important points:

1. We don't ban people for breaking the youtube spam rule unless they break it repeatedly, deliberately.
  2. Racism is not tolerated in any form and if you see such behaviour on the forums you should contact a moderator immediately.

Lastly, as an aside, half the moderators here aren't from the US, myself included.

#155 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

I don't know, for a gaming forum GB is pretty good. I mean, it's no /v/ but still pretty alright.

#156 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Actually I think this is one of the friendliest videogame communities. Sure, there's the occasional dick and snarky comments here and there but all in all it's not that bad. It's still the internet after all, take that into consideration.

#157 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

This place is pretty cool. At least it doesn't make me want to vomit. Something that cannot be said about the average IGN comments section.

#158 Posted by MackGyver (516 posts) -

There are some assholes/trolls/fanboys here as are in other sites, but hey, welcome to the internet.

#159 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

better than most other videogame site except maybe penny arcade everyone there is pretty cool it seems

and i think snarkiness can be attributed to the fact that when discussions happen people are typing it so you dont always get the right tone across.

#160 Posted by Clonedzero (4050 posts) -

yeah, theres plenty of clever, snarky , over protective of teh GB crew guys around. but its still way better than anywhere else.

here its snarky dudes being snarky for the sake of being snarky. other places people are just assholes to each other.

and yeah, im guilty of being a snarky dick from time to time too, i think we all are.

#161 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

This i agree on:)

#162 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I think if you stick around (why did I think of Arnie there?) you might come to see some more of the good and just start ignoring the bad. Admittedly I used to be pretty apprehensive before posting anything because a troll could be hiding beneath the "send" button in any thread. But now I don't care too much because I'm not smart enough to know when I'm being trolled anyway! Also, I know a lot of people have said this but compared to a lot of sites in general this one is good, rainbow like even! I used to be part of a site with guaranteed drama every day . . . *shudders*

So yeah. Hope you gradually come to like the community here a little more. I've made some good friends here. =]

#163 Posted by ToTheNines (626 posts) -

Depends entirely on the thread. Lots of good threads that gets serious and friendly comments.

#164 Posted by TheHumanDove (2504 posts) -

@OfficeBat said:

This one of the first online communities I've chosen to be a part of, and so far I have been a little disappointed with the community interaction. This isn't to say that I haven't seen some positive interactions here, but most of what I've read in the forums is negativity. Usually people respond to forum posts with what they think is a "clever" "funny" remark. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the first reply to this topic is one of that sort. I have seen some really thoughtful and fun forum posts ruined by the first few commentors. It is very interesting that it is largely the same negative users I see posting time and time again on forums all over Giant Bomb. Anyway, I thought I write this up to express my disappointment with aspects of this community. I have a feeling that many of the users who feel the same as I will not reply because they simply don't participate in the discussion anymore. I would have to say that I don't blame them...I will probably be one of them.

You smell. lololololo.

No but seriously, I'm not sure you're familiar with internet forums.

#165 Posted by bonbolapti (1596 posts) -

@OfficeBat: You find your place eventually.

A lot of the dumb shit you'll find in a place like this is no different from every other website. I probably have just as much complaints being all 'Old man internet' more than often, so I stick to the things that I find interesting. You'll be surprised on the better things about a community you can find when you stick to why you enjoy the site in the first place.

#166 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I like the community here...

#167 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@Soapy86

@AssInAss said:

Come over to NeoGAF, we ban fools that do that.

Nice avatar.

Also, I lurk GAF a lot, and you guys have more than your share of assholes.

And waaaaay more negativity.
#168 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

So you don't like a few trolls, you're gonna take your ball and go home? If you've got something to say then say it. There's always gonna be someone who wants to have a conversation, just ignore the rest. We do live on the same planet don't we? How do you deal with the myriad assholes in virtually every other facet of your life?

#169 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@OfficeBat: You do realise this thread is just adding to the negativity?

I think one of the great missed opportunities of premium membership is not limiting forum use to the bomb-faced medal wearers.

Now that would strip GB off of many members. It would also be unfair to limit a community only to paying members.

I don't think it would be unfair at all, it would limit the community but that definitely has its bonuses. I used to belong to a 40K forum that you had to pay to get access to and that place had zero assholes. Definitely the best online community I've ever belonged to. You wanna weed out douchebags, make them pay.

i'm cool with GB not being like that, I'm sure they wanna keep it as inclusive as possible and compared to pretty much every other place I've seen its awesome, but if you wanna turn away trolls at the door, make them pay to get in.

#170 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

I guess I don't engage much in these forums, so I may have missed the negativity you mention. I guess the topics of conversation haven't really spoken to me, or I've simply just found more over on Reddit and various MLP-related message boards to stay focused on this one. But you may be right.

#171 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@pyromagnestir You're alright by me, man
#172 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

I'm just as snarky in real life as I can be on here. When everyone else around me takes everything so fucking seriously, I can't fucking handle it, so I break off on my own and just make jokes of everything.

People don't take me as seriously, but I'd rather have fun and act stupid and at the same time get all the serious shit done too then stress out about every little single thing.

Have some fucking fun in your life. Lay off some steam when you're not at work, don't let shit get to you and don't take people seriously if they piss you off.

In other words, don't take me serious

#173 Posted by believer258 (11565 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Morrow said:

@Dagbiker said:

I have been with this community longer then any other forum community before. That is partially because I have yet to be banned.

lol

You're kinda sweet :D

When I wrote that I was mostly thinking about The Escapest, where, for some dumb reason, you are not aloud to have one sentence answers. So I was given a three day suspension for writing "No" to a guys yes or no question.

I was given a nice little banning.

#174 Posted by believer258 (11565 posts) -

@OfficeBat said:

This one of the first online communities I've chosen to be a part of, and so far I have been a little disappointed with the community interaction. This isn't to say that I haven't seen some positive interactions here, but most of what I've read in the forums is negativity. Usually people respond to forum posts with what they think is a "clever" "funny" remark. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the first reply to this topic is one of that sort. I have seen some really thoughtful and fun forum posts ruined by the first few commentors. It is very interesting that it is largely the same negative users I see posting time and time again on forums all over Giant Bomb. Anyway, I thought I write this up to express my disappointment with aspects of this community. I have a feeling that many of the users who feel the same as I will not reply because they simply don't participate in the discussion anymore. I would have to say that I don't blame them...I will probably be one of them.

Well, this is one of the better parts of the internet. I'm not going to pretend like I've never been an asshole on these forums - I have, often enough - but even I'm not nearly as bad as some of the "better" people in some other communities. Other good ones exist, sure, but the internet is full of inane stupidity. This place is almost a haven from that sort of thing.

@Cubical said:

im old get the fuck off my video game lawn. Especially console noobs and there crap dumb down first person shooters with that slow ass analog stick crap.

Like I said, almost.

#175 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

I hear ya man.. Lot of assholes and strange people on here.. Lots of good people too though.

This man is the light of the fgc people.

#176 Posted by konig_kei (595 posts) -

I never post on other forums because I never make accounts but I had to make one here to be a subscriber. I only started browsing the forums cause I was bored and had an account. I find this community welcoming and all round a good place to be.

#177 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

@Sarkhan said:

@MethodMan008 said:

I hear ya man.. Lot of assholes and strange people on here.. Lots of good people too though.

What is that supposed to mean?

#178 Posted by Hunkulese (2628 posts) -
@OfficeBat Welcome to the Internet
#179 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

@Sarkhan said:

@MethodMan008 said:

Ok, i call you the light after what you said. How the hell can you take that wrong???And/or something else?

#180 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

@Sarkhan said:

@MethodMan008 said:

@Sarkhan said:

@MethodMan008 said:

Ok, i call you the light after what you said. How the hell can you take that wrong???And/or something else?

I just don't understand it, not taking it wrong or right. :P

#181 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1727 posts) -

It's true. Some noob tried to discuss video games, so I punched him in internet balls and ran away laughing.

That'll teach him to come to our turf! *chest pound*

#182 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

Loots of assholes. Lot's of i(really know what ypu mean, never playede!!!! BUT! this is cool i guess) thingy.

#183 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

This is the only forum where I have received an apology, and also the only forum where I feel comfortable enough apologizing myself.

#184 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

it's the sad fact about the internet, no matter where you go or how nice you are there will always be jerks to ruin it. best you can do is just ignore the unnecessary jerk comments and continue any thoughtful conversation you can get.

#185 Edited by august (3825 posts) -

@MB said:

"don't be a dick" thing worked really well there, and it's working well here, too.

I'm not sure how well it's working as people are dicks on here pretty much constantly. In fact, some seem to make a career of it. Then there's the genuinely crazy people like that buzzkill guy you allowed to fester for months before doing something about.

My perception may have something to do with the moderation happening entirely behind the scenes, but I don't think you're meeting your stated goal.

#186 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

Most people here are cool. If there's a problem with the GB community is that personal insults and trolling are way too tolerated. Just a few hours ago I was amazed by how someone could call anyone who liked Achievements "a retard" and get away with it with no punishment whatsoever. Yeah, people here are dicks sometimes because they can. But if you ignore them, the rest of the community is pretty rad.

#187 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

@LiquidSwords: I can't think of a single instance of something like this happening.

#188 Posted by Cory_and_Trevor (29 posts) -

Over the past few months, I have noticed the lightheartedness of the community pick up notes of arrogance.  I don't know if this has anything to do with a subconscious response to new users as a result of the CBS switch, but my experience with some members (paying members) has been somewhat tainted.  Some are responding to innocent jokes with rampant hostility that is only accentuated by the anonymity of the Internet.  I agree with the general message, "don't be a dick".  The GB community is still better and more mature than most communities out there, but small missteps can lead to demise.

#189 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

@august said:

@LiquidSwords: I can't think of a single instance of something like this happening.

Happened to me twice already.

#190 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

I've been thinking a bit about this since I was saw the thread, and I feel like people have become more hostile now than they were some time ago. However, I feel like this is something that has been bleeding through the entire society and not just our little corner of the Internet.

I think we would all be better off, if we adapted a more positive attitude, luckily there still seem to be a good bunch of people here on Giant Bomb who still have a positive outlook instead of a negative one.

---

And on a side note about the mods, I feel like they are doing a pretty good job, although I do think that they are a little slow to take action. Whether that is because they are slow, or because they don't go swinging-crazy with the banhammer - allowing a more relaxed and free interaction on the forums - I can't really decide.

#191 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

You're fine until you don't share the popular opinion.

#192 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Aren't sarcasm and silly jokes part of the giant bomb sense of humour? It's pretty rare that I'd see something and actually think the person's intent was malicious.

#193 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

@Sarkhan: you should probably edit a specific word out of your post at the bottom of page 8 if you don't want the entire post to be removed, pm a mod to have that question answered, if you need it.

Thanks dude!

#194 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

@august said:

@MB said:

"don't be a dick" thing worked really well there, and it's working well here, too.

I'm not sure how well it's working as people are dicks on here pretty much constantly. In fact, some seem to make a career of it. Then there's the genuinely crazy people like that buzzkill guy you allowed to fester for months before doing something about.

My perception may have something to do with the moderation happening entirely behind the scenes, but I don't think you're meeting your stated goal.

Couldn't agree more.

#195 Posted by stryker1121 (1326 posts) -

I like the GB community, mostly..its my go-to along w/ EG. But as someone said upthread, trying to have a real convo about a "controversial" topic sometimes results in unfunny snark or ass-hatted, thread derailing comments.

Saying, "Well we're better than IGN" is damning w/ faint praise, too. I hate when people say "It's the Internet, whattya gonna do?" like the Internet is the dumb old family dog that can't help but fart under the dinner table. GB is not Yahoo or CNN, both of which are utterly infested w/ trolls, racists and outright morons. A smaller message board community like this one should be able to weed out the a-holes pretty easily.

#196 Posted by mlarrabee (2875 posts) -

Most people dislike confrontation. We try to get along. We may be jerks once you get to know us, but as acquaintances we're just fine. But put most people inside a glass and steel box called "car," and we become the most confident jackasses on the planet.

It's the same for the internet. As others have already said in this thread, anonymity brings unwarranted, unearned confidence to the point of self-absorption. It isn't condonable or justifiable, but I honestly don't think it will disappear until the anonymity does.

I'm guilty myself! I've reacted poorly on the internet to several people, in situations in which, in the material world, I would have ended the conversation before I said something I later regretted.

#197 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

I'm disappointed the first post wasn't a smartass response.

#198 Posted by OneManX (1676 posts) -

Should of been in the EVO chat... had fun stream monsterin' with Duders.

#199 Edited by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

I've been on Giant Bomb since halfway through it's first year if I remember correctly.... Could be wrong but I remember it's beginning days, and I will say that this community is incredible, of course you're gonna run into assholes, it's human nature to be a sarcastic asshole on the internet (let's be real here). But overrall, yes this place has changed a lot, I see a lot less interaction amongst the moderators and users as there once was, and same with staff and users. But that's to be expected with GB's growing popularity, and I'm glad it's growing, I love GB, seriously this is the online website were I personally feel like I can express myself and also maintain my love for video games.... And boobs, don't forget the boobs.

Edit: This comment has been edited for redundancy.

#200 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

@George_Hukas said:

You're fine until you don't share the popular opinion.