#201 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

@Scooper said:

I'm one of those people, like you, who doesn't really participate in this community any more. It's sort of shifted from friendly people looking to have a laugh and make good points into a lot of super self-serious and literal-minded unsocial people who can't interpret any forms of sarcasm or irony and will instantly bite your dick off the moment you speak. It's kinda paralleled the attitude of the staff, I think. When the site started and in its first couple years the crew were really energized (quite literally when they did drink taste tests) and there to have a good time. I find that aspect diminished and now they're mostly pretty bummed about most of the things they do. I thought the addition of Patrick didn't help that much as he's too quick to deconstruct everything into their parts and criticize a lot of things, I think Vinny, Dave and Drew conflicts with this because they're very relaxed, fun and they seem to fall on the positive side of most things while the others seem a bit more jaded the last couple years. I think the community mirrors this, too.

I don't really like most of the people here and they don't like me. I don't mind. I got other things to do.

I was going to relate the community to the staff, but you did it way better than I ever would have. Thanks.

#202 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#203 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

so many threads like this filled with similar amounts of ppl sharing similar positive community minded viewpoints ... then why the fuck do we have this issue in the first place .. shoudlnt we be able to flex our collective wisdom and weed out the people that just are dicks for the sake of it ??

naw , hindsight is amazing , but most arguments/negative shitstorms/hate rallys occur because ppl are too heated to see another viewpoint / too dumb to notice that they are contributing to the shit they are "against"

i guess im saying any and every community has the capability of being a horrible unwelcome place to be .. giantbomb does its fair share to counter that , so yeah .. "we care" , at least enough to have threads like this .. but honestly ive seen more consensus and camaraderie on 4chan.

ultimately , i think people should have mod privelege on their own threads , similar to youtube comments ... sometimes its just easier to disable them :P

#204 Edited by Grimhild (720 posts) -

Huh... I think the people here are pretty cool, myself. 90% of the "debates" I've chosen to get involved in are handled pretty maturely, and since I tend to make mostly non-accusative or constructive threads to begin with, all the people I'm following and are following me are pretty into the whole solidarity thing lol

Dunno, just ignore the douchenozzles I guess.

#205 Posted by mustachioeugene (498 posts) -

I think any community, online or otherwise, can be appear to be tainted by a very vocal minority.

I do enjoy reading other user's thoughts and opinions on games, music and entertainment at large. I never bother reading anything political/current events in the Off Topic board as I get enough dissenting opinions on that stuff at work. Maybe I've been lucky and haven't seen anything that seemed like people being dicks just for the sake of it.

@Grimhild said:

Dunno, just ignore the douchenozzles I guess.

#206 Posted by Milkman (16479 posts) -

I don't understand how anyone who has spent any amount of time in any other internet video game community could possibly complain about Giant Bomb.

#207 Posted by Lukeweizer (2583 posts) -

I admit to being a jerk sometimes on the boards. I just have a short temper when it comes to some things. You folks really are my favorite boards though.

#208 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

"There's nothing but negativity around here! That's why I'm going to start a whiny thread about how everyone's mean and I probably won't be talking to them anymore!!"

Lighten up, man. People use the internet as their bitching dumping ground. Just like you. And I think that that's what holds us together the most, as a community. Am I right, guys? Guys?

#209 Posted by churrific (470 posts) -

I kinda feel like there's a seedy underbelly of close-mindedness, ignorance, and superiority complexes in the community. People have a negative opinion about something, and they just come right out and say it, which is fine. But when a dissenting opinion from someone else comes along, sometimes what starts out as thoughtful conversations devolve into "I can out-argue you because I'm more eloquent than you are, and therefore my opinion is righteous and you and your opinion are retarded fucks." I mean in those cases, you just can't shine a positive light on the other end of an issue because that user will only consider an opposing opinion to tear it down line by line, not for its actual meaning. Then they're just getting their rocks off by winning an argument and feeling good about themselves and how right they think they are. I'm not sure that that's really better than just dealing with a straight troll because now you have those 2 or 3 users chiming in on a battle of words rather than a constructive conversation. I guess what I'd like to see improve are people's willingness to talk about their opinions with some leeway to other people's criticisms/opinions. Probably too much to ask.

#210 Posted by SunArcana (10 posts) -

Your view is very contrary to mine. Although I haven't been here long, everyone's been fairly pleasant to me.

#211 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I don't really get the few people here (OP included) complaining about snark. I mean, when you guys hang out with your real life friends and family, do you discuss every single topic ultra seriously?

If I'm posting in a thread about someone swinging his dick around about a supposed fight he had wear he lunch-trayed someone in the face, got thrown through a window, and then had fisticuffs worthy of an 80s action movie (to provide a recent example), I think a certain amount of snark is perfectly valid, in the same way you or your buddy might make a sarcastic comment aimed at your friend who is obviously bullshitting or just showing off.

The Internet can be a shitty place, no question, but I can never help but laugh when people go on about wanting somewhere friendly to form a community, and then promptly forget that friends banter and joke around, and sometimes even violently disagree on something.

Personally, I love this place, warts and all. I can be a smart arse, and occasionally I'll joke without saying something all the productive, but I'm never an outright dick without a reason, and I think the vast majority of people here are exactly the same. I've had some bad experiences, but they pale compared to the good ones, and things like the support shown to @Claude and Patrick, or even stuff like the various art threads, have been amazing to watch and partake in.

This place is great, but would be drastically improved if certain members of the community didn't take everything so seriously. You'd find that would cut out a great deal more "issues" than any amount of aggressive moderation.

#212 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

Dickish behaviour on all but the smallest of internet forums is a foregone conclusion.

Much like dickish behaviour in all but the smallest of social gatherings/events in the real world is a foregone conclusion.

I think it's pretty easy to ignore on Giant Bomb, and it's worth hanging around for the occasional interesting discussion that does come up.

#213 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Personally, I love this place, warts and all.

#214 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

I've just only joined the site, and I'm liking the community here a lot to be honest. Sure some can be downright mean at times, but as a whole, I think it could've been worse. Its like a race I noticed, to be the wittiest of them all. Personally, I tried to be funny and witty without being overly sarcastic and mean, but I'm just not. At the risk of appearing like an idiot who tries too hard, I stopped.

#215 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Personally, I love this place, warts and all.

ROFL, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that!
#216 Posted by tyxja (276 posts) -

What irks me most is how so many users try to model themselves after certain members of the bomb squad.

I've certainly adopted a lot of their vocabulary and mannerisms over time, but I've maintained my own opinion at least.

#217 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

And fuck you too!  Yeah I should probably be less of a dick.  Some of the forum posts have been really lame lately.   I remember when this was fun around late 2010.  Thats why I joined.  I remember that one of the mods told me that everything has been the same but I dunno......

#218 Posted by Slag (3897 posts) -

Sorry you feel that way

fwiw I think GB is way better than most forums of it's type that I've been on. It's why I bothered to join in the first place after nearly a decade of lurking on other video game forums.

But yeah the message board format always is going to make it susceptible to having a few malcontents kill the vibe. I'm never quite sure what makes a person suddenly think a place has gone negative. For many I imagine it's just one or two jerks saying mean things is enough. I really don't know what GB could ever do to prevent that other than what they already do, there's not a really effective that I know of to act an as a bouncer , if you will, and only let "chill people" (or people you like) post.

The number of good people here seem to vastly outnumber the bad and the mods do a decent job cracking down on the worst offenders for the most part. In my opinion that's about all you can ask for out of a message board. For it to be civil enough to be able to talk and interact with some cool people, even if you have to wade through some negativity occasionally to find them.

I guess as I've gotten older I just no longer expect a place to make me happy, so I just to try to contribute in a positive manner if I generally like the place and not worry about the people I don't care for.

anyways all the best to you in whatever you decide to do.

#219 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well, i like the community here. it's not too many dicks around here compared to other internet forums. i am sorry to hear that you don't like the community here.

#220 Posted by Samael2138 (228 posts) -

Compared to some other sites *cough, IGN, cough*, I find Giantbomb pleasant. Anytime you're on the internet and people can hide behind supposed anonymity, you're gonna get some asshole-ishness. A lot of people are more concerned with being right, or witty/funny, than logically discussing a topic. But all the folks here that were willing to speak rationally on a subject, have had some great things to say, even when our opinions were contradictory. Hell, some people have been downright polite and helpful. Not something you find much of on the internet nowadays. Seriously, go to IGN and read a few of their threads. Grade-A, USDA approved, turd burglars(you know, like the Hamburglar, but with feces)

#221 Edited by Slag (3897 posts) -

@JJWeatherman said:

For a long time I stopped using Giant Bomb completely, as well as Google+ and Twitter. I was away from the social aspect of the internet for months, and it was really refreshing. As a result of this break, it's become so painfully obvious to me now just how pointless so many of the comments people leave are. It's not always people being jerks, though. For me, it's actually just more of people leaving comments that make me wonder why I'm here. Take a good hard look at some of the things you guys are posting. Does that really need to be said? I'm confident that the answer would often be no. Just spend a little bit of time actually thinking about whatever it is that you're replying to and forming a thought that is potentially interesting to others; I think that would go a long way.

I can't say that I was never part of the problem. My post count probably gives away that I was in fact a part of them problem at one point. I posted a lot of random shit that nobody cared about, so I get it. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people will grow out of this, but with the cycle always restarting with new users, it can get pretty tiring. I guess that's part of why I've drifted away from internet communities a bit.

You sound about as old as I am . If you are who I think you are, you know a lot more about the "inside baseball" aspects of GB and things like it than I ever will.

I hate to say it but I think your expectations of how much thought/effort your average late teen to mid twenty something is going to do on social media/message board comment is probably a tad unrealistic. (I'm assuming that's age of a large % of active forum posters here) Not that they aren't good suggestions, it's just that I think this something someone has to discover for themselves as you alluded to.

You said it yourself with your cycle of new user comment. What really can be done to ever change that? I think you will continue to be disillusioned if you are waiting/hoping that ever changes. That would require a change in basic human nature I think.

That may lead you to ask what value I get out of participating in GB forums (which seems to be something you are looking for). For me personally I don't have many friends left who game whether it be for work, financial or family reasons. Since I still find ways to do it and probably always will to some degree, GB gives me a place to interact with the gaming community when I feel the urge to do so.

I don't know why you are here, I can only tell you why I am and what works for me. For me that's don't overthink it, just participate it if you find it fun, and don't if you don't. I've been happier on the internet ever since I've adapted that mental framework. GB and it's community is the place that does the best for me with games, so I come here.

I'm not sure what it is you really want out of social media and such, but deep meaningful social connections probably are never going to be the norm on them. I totally agree with you that there is generally something unfulfilling about the general experience. At their best they seem to me to be introduction tools that can allow you to meet new people in IRL or touch base with existing friends conveniently. That's about it.

FWIW I hope you do continue to be a part of GB. I know you are really well liked here, and people would miss you if you did leave for good.

#222 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

We have one of these threads every few months and the same people talk about how bad things have become here. Don't worry - it's apparently not so bad that they won't still be around to make the same vague complaints on a similar thread a few months from now. I was here on day one. Some people might have become tired of it, but it's no different now to how it ever was (in some ways it's better because a lot of those Nintendo idiots got fucked off). If you find something here you like, great! if you don't, it's extremely easy to leave.

#223 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

GB is far far above many other gaming communities. People just like to have fun if sarcasm and snark isnt for you then your missing the point of the site which is to not take video games so damn seriously and just have fun. There's a line between being a snarky ass for some laughs and being genuinely mean. In the case of the latter the mods always step in. The sarcasm, the snark, the in-jokes its all part of the community and what makes giantbomb what it is.

Absolutely. That's what makes this forum great for laughs while still being able to have mature discussions. Wouldn't want this place any other way

#224 Edited by Aetheldod (3494 posts) -

I like these forums .... Yes I´ve seen a few "unpolite" comments here and there but they never get to a youtube level of malice as often , but I believe a more effort from the users to automoderate themselves is needed. I wont say that I am perfect all the time but I sure do try to double read what I respond and have seen that sometimes Im just butthurt or am being a huge dick , so I promplty erease what I wrote and not post it , also I was never good bein a snarky fellow so most of my post are snark free , unless im trashing a game , altho I do get carried away as what happened with LA Noir , to the level that I was being called out a lot , and with all due fairness I might add :/

Can we always improve? Why yes of course we can , but all in all , this is good place to be in and am glad to be part of it ,even if Im not the most eloquent of people

Edit: Also in what other community you get cooments from Lunarian royalty????

#225 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

It is an online forum, there are going to be jerks of some sort, sorry.

#226 Posted by _Chad (961 posts) -

The community here is probably the best I've been apart of. The worst I've been on is the gamefly community stuff those guys don't say anything positive besides trying to make incredibly retarded jokes and trolling.

#227 Edited by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

I joined Giant Bomb back in late 2008. Maybe I've been lucky since then, but I haven't encountered a single memorable moment of negativity directed at me. If you look at my post count, it isn't as if there haven't been opportunities. It's been my experience that if you treat every member with the same respect that you would like to be treated in return, that can go a long way to defuse any reactionary hostility. Now, I love a good joke as much as anyone, so flippant, sometimes clever, sometimes not remarks are going to surface no matter what you do. I don't see this as a problem since the vast majority of them are only a single sentence of text anyway. As others have commented above, if you put greater effort into your posts, it will encourage more engaging replies. Of course, you have to watch out for the "too long, didn't read" trap when writing unless you're very good. I usually try an put myself in the place of a casual viewer. How much is too much before it gets boring? If the subject needs a lot of explanation, can I break it up with visual aids and shorter paragraphs?

I have been a part of a number of gaming and animation online communities over the years and Giant Bomb is one of the better ones.

#228 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:

I joined Giant Bomb back in late 2008. Maybe I've been lucky since then, but I haven't encountered a single memorable moment of negativity directed at me. If you look at my post count, it isn't as if there haven't been opportunities. It's been my experience that if you treat every member with the same respect that you would like to be treated in return, that can go a long way to defuse any reactionary hostility. Now, I love a good joke as much as anyone, so flippant, sometimes clever, sometimes not remarks are going to surface no matter what you do. I don't see this as a problem since the vast majority of them are only a single sentence of text anyway. As others have commented above, if you put greater effort into your posts, it will encourage more engaging replies. Of course, you have to watch out for the "too long, didn't read" trap when writing unless you're very good. I usually try an put myself in the place of a casual viewer. How much is too much before it gets boring? If the subject needs a lot of explanation, can I break it up with visual aids and shorter paragraphs.

I have been a part of a number of gaming and animation online communities over the years and Giant Bomb is one of the better ones.

Your post count is super high. 
YOU HAVE NO LIFE! 
 
There, now you have some negativity directed at you too :P
#229 Edited by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: I've recently become very disappointed by the negativity within this community. ;-)

#230 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@PenguinDust: Damn straight you have become disappointed!  
No more off-topicness. Time to go to work
#231 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

Come over to NeoGAF, we ban fools that do that.

GAF is sort of the other extreme. It fancies itself some sort of exclusive club. I got banned for posting that I planned to buy Skyrim for the 360 rather than the PS3. A wise choice at the time of the game's launch. Boom, banned for fanboyism. I own both fucking consoles! How the hell is that fanboyism? I don't know what's worse, a system that just let's any 14 year old with a PC join or one where you can't express any sort of opinion contrary to some moderator's and get removed from the community. At the end of the day the climate here at Giant Bomb is still better than 99%of everything else out there.

#232 Edited by TruthTellah (8387 posts) -

I find it a bit sad and oddly appropriate that a man laments about how people treat each other on Giant Bomb and then a bunch of people reply to him with snideness, dismissiveness, and near mockery. Giant Bomb has and can be better than that. A lot of people just seem to not do well at all with criticism or the idea that things can actually be changed or improved. Which isn't surprising, considering how many in the world share that sentiment, but it's something we here can work on.

The most common response I have seen is that he's foolish for expecting anything more of Giant Bomb than every other place on the Internet. To me, that's possibly the worst way to defend anything. It's like having some friends that sometimes treat you like crap or treat others poorly, and when you complain, they just say, "Yeah, well, most people in the world are awful; so, stop expecting so much of us and suck it up." But that's just nonsense. It's okay and actually kind of great that someone might expect more of the people around here. As people in the Giant Bomb community, we should be complimented that anyone might expect anything of us.

One of the reasons I like Giant Bomb is because it was founded by a group of guys who said the status quo of game sites wasn't for them. They wanted their own site that would be something different, something more. And I think a lot of people here would say they seem to have achieved that. As fans of the site, can't we also want to do better than the status quo? Is "Well, we're not -as- awful as most places" really something to boast about? It's a silly defense, and it's a poor reason to dismiss any criticism. When someone brings up a problem, maybe we shouldn't just try to say there is no problem or there isn't enough of a problem for us to do anything; instead, we can try to find ways to make sure people have less reason to think there's a problem. Perhaps by solving the problem or at least attempting to do so.

And for those who say that's all well and good for individual users but you can't expect much of others, that's nonsense. If all of Giant Bomb was just anons, it'd be one thing, but Giant Bomb is a rather persistent community with many regulars. Sites often have turnarounds of weeks or months, but Giant Bomb has turnarounds closer to years. Giant Bomb has a pretty darn dedicated following even with its stream of new recruits. And those dedicated people who post regularly set the tone for all the rest of the comments. What you decide to do matters, and the comments you regularly make impact what others post. It's not always apparent, but there are clear tones to communities. And Giant Bomb has an ever shifting tone set by the staff and by regular commenters. If -you- take concerns seriously and be a good commenter, more and more people will follow suit simply to fit with what appears standard. No community is perfect, but you can certainly strengthen a community. And sometimes, there may be legitimate reason for Giant Bomb to want to improve its community here.

What ever happened to being proactive? Being defensive is overrated in modern society. People are too caught up in being told they're special and perfect the way they are; that they're at least better than the next kid. Can't we see that there's stuff to work on? So, when someone says, "I've been kind of disappointed with the GB community interaction,", why don't we try to figure out why he feels that way rather than just find excuses to dismiss his concerns? We can say people are just misunderstanding how awesome or at least above average Giant Bomb's community is, but maybe we should try to do something about why they're apparently misunderstanding. If Giant Bomb's community is actually better than other places around the Internet, why do many get a very different impression? Instead of dismissing it, we could take these concerns seriously, think about them, and maybe discuss ways to improve things. Heck, even if the discussion just becomes people saying they'll personally try to do better, that's something. Taking concerns into real consideration, though, is what matters, and dismissing concerns simply because we don't share those concerns doesn't get rid of people's reasons to feel the way that they do. No matter how well we think we are doing, for the sake of the Giant Bomb we enjoy and those who share in this site, certainly we can find ways to do better.

Online
#234 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TruthTellah Good post!
#236 Posted by Xymox (2055 posts) -

Giant Bomb is indeed growing. But growth doesn't necessarily have to mean a steady increase of bad manners. Self-moderation can go a long way. People have different oppinions on things. Some have realized it's kind of fruitless to go batshit over it... even if they're being asshats in how they go about presenting their thoughts. I agree that GB should absolutely strive to be the best, not "not as bad as the others", but hey, that's just, like, my oppinion, man. I'm sorry you feel that way, GenocidalKitten. I haven't noticed that there's a lot of hate going around here, but I can agree that there's a snide undertone to some of it. I mean, users will disagree on things, but even in the more heated discussions I've lurked through over the years, it's been very verbose and focused on the discussion at hand rather than people's mothers. At least that's my experience of it.

#237 Posted by AssInAss (2524 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

I find it a bit sad and oddly appropriate that a man laments about how people treat each other on Giant Bomb and then a bunch of people reply to him with snideness, dismissiveness, and near mockery. Giant Bomb has and can be better than that. A lot of people just seem to not do well at all with criticism or the idea that things can actually be changed or improved. Which isn't surprising, considering how many in the world share that sentiment, but it's something we here can work on.

The most common response I have seen is that he's foolish for expecting anything more of Giant Bomb than every other place on the Internet. To me, that's possibly the worst way to defend anything. It's like having some friends that sometimes treat you like crap or treat others poorly, and when you complain, they just say, "Yeah, well, most people in the world are awful; so, stop expecting so much of us and suck it up." But that's just nonsense. It's okay and actually kind of great that someone might expect more of the people around here. As people in the Giant Bomb community, we should be complimented that anyone might expect anything of us.

One of the reasons I like Giant Bomb is because it was founded by a group of guys who said the status quo of game sites wasn't for them. They wanted their own site that would be something different, something more. And I think a lot of people here would say they seem to have achieved that. As fans of the site, can't we also want to do better than the status quo? Is "Well, we're not -as- awful as most places" really something to boast about? It's a silly defense, and it's a poor reason to dismiss any criticism. When someone brings up a problem, maybe we shouldn't just try to say there is no problem or there isn't enough of a problem for us to do anything; instead, we can try to find ways to make sure people have less reason to think there's a problem. Perhaps by solving the problem or at least attempting to do so.

And for those who say that's all well and good for individual users but you can't expect much of others, that's nonsense. If all of Giant Bomb was just anons, it'd be one thing, but Giant Bomb is a rather persistent community with many regulars. Sites often have turnarounds of weeks or months, but Giant Bomb has turnarounds closer to years. Giant Bomb has a pretty darn dedicated following even with its stream of new recruits. And those dedicated people who post regularly set the tone for all the rest of the comments. What you decide to do matters, and the comments you regularly make impact what others post. It's not always apparent, but there are clear tones to communities. And Giant Bomb has an ever shifting tone set by the staff and by regular commenters. If -you- take concerns seriously and be a good commenter, more and more people will follow suit simply to fit with what appears standard. No community is perfect, but you can certainly strengthen a community. And sometimes, there may be legitimate reason for Giant Bomb to want to improve its community here.

What ever happened to being proactive? Being defensive is overrated in modern society. People are too caught up in being told they're special and perfect the way they are; that they're at least better than the next kid. Can't we see that there's stuff to work on? So, when someone says, "I've been kind of disappointed with the GB community interaction,", why don't we try to figure out why he feels that way rather than just find excuses to dismiss his concerns? We can say people are just misunderstanding how awesome or at least above average Giant Bomb's community is, but maybe we should try to do something about why they're apparently misunderstanding. If Giant Bomb's community is actually better than other places around the Internet, why do many get a very different impression? Instead of dismissing it, we could take these concerns seriously, think about them, and maybe discuss ways to improve things. Heck, even if the discussion just becomes people saying they'll personally try to do better, that's something. Taking concerns into real consideration, though, is what matters, and dismissing concerns simply because we don't share those concerns doesn't get rid of people's reasons to feel the way that they do. No matter how well we think we are doing, for the sake of the Giant Bomb we enjoy and those who share in this site, certainly we can find ways to do better.

Well said! For as cynical as people on the Internet can be, being proactive has led to the coolest things to come out of it.

*sniff sniff*

#238 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I get a lot of stick, but I also get a lot of respect. You need to take the good with the bad, it's how real life works.

#239 Posted by Halos_god (160 posts) -

@Harkat said:

I think you're taking things a little too seriously. The sarcastic snakiness is mostly for laughs. When it boils down to it, the duders here are pretty cool.

#240 Posted by Lava (659 posts) -

@TruthTellah: Well said, sir.

#241 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -

@TruthTellah: You tell the truth, TruthTellah. Haha.

But really, I too believe that the best way we can improve this community is to step up and set an example for other users. It's really the key, I think, as users look to their peers within places like this when when determining how to behave. It's similar to parents setting an example for their kids. We all need to be better parents.

#242 Posted by adam1808 (1355 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@Cubical said:

im old get the fuck off my video game lawn. Especially console noobs and there crap dumb down first person shooters with that slow ass analog stick crap.

Most games let you change the stick sensitivity if I'm not mistaken. Here I found a picture showing that it's set to 4 and that's actually classed as (High) even though the meter isn't even at half-way. So I'm guessing it can be pretty fast at high sensitivity. I don't know because I don't play FPS games on console either, but I just wanted to make you aware of it.

This.

Online
#243 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

This is a pretty snarky community, . But most of us aren't taking it that seriously, which is why we tend to get snarky. When the conversation can really be had, it usually does happen. Also, there's a good chance we've discussed whatever's on somebody's mind before; someday, a whole bunch of us will probably have full manifestos written out to the most prevalent "interesting" discussions in a word document somewhere to be copy/pasted.

Unlike everybody else here, I'm not going to prattle on about "how much worse it is everywhere else." That's not really true; smaller websites like unfiction definitely have rock-solid communities. But that's the catch; it's a community the size of a small neighborhood, so it's rare conversation repeats, everybody recognizes everybody else's username, and the forum already fulfills such a specific niche that everybody in the community is probably very similar to each other. I really like the larger perspective we get out of sites like Giant Bomb.

I guess my biggest question, and it's one I'll post on your wall, is what do you suggest we do to improve?

#244 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

On a sort of off topic note. I wish they'd have a community spotlight-ish thing on the bombcast. Just like 5 minutes talking about current community happenings and what not.

#245 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Morrow said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@OfficeBat: You do realise this thread is just adding to the negativity?

I think one of the great missed opportunities of premium membership is not limiting forum use to the bomb-faced medal wearers.

Now that would strip GB off of many members. It would also be unfair to limit a community only to paying members.

I don't think it would be unfair at all, it would limit the community but that definitely has its bonuses. I used to belong to a 40K forum that you had to pay to get access to and that place had zero assholes. Definitely the best online community I've ever belonged to. You wanna weed out douchebags, make them pay.

i'm cool with GB not being like that, I'm sure they wanna keep it as inclusive as possible and compared to pretty much every other place I've seen its awesome, but if you wanna turn away trolls at the door, make them pay to get in.

I can totally see your point and I think you're right about that. But there are also a lot of potentionally good members who'd be turned off by that. I think a community is most interesting if you have different people from all kinds of places and social classes.

#246 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

One of the reasons I like Giant Bomb is because it was founded by a group of guys who said the status quo of game sites wasn't for them.

I'm not sure that's a great example of tackling a status quo, considering how it panned out.

#247 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@OfficeBat said:

This one of the first online communities I've chosen to be a part of, and so far I have been a little disappointed with the community interaction. This isn't to say that I haven't seen some positive interactions here, but most of what I've read in the forums is negativity. Usually people respond to forum posts with what they think is a "clever" "funny" remark. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the first reply to this topic is one of that sort. I have seen some really thoughtful and fun forum posts ruined by the first few commentors. It is very interesting that it is largely the same negative users I see posting time and time again on forums all over Giant Bomb. Anyway, I thought I write this up to express my disappointment with aspects of this community. I have a feeling that many of the users who feel the same as I will not reply because they simply don't participate in the discussion anymore. I would have to say that I don't blame them...I will probably be one of them.

Where does your disappointment come from? There must be some near-perfect community of people out there on the internet which you're using to compare. If not, then isn't positive/negative "balance" a pretty common thing on the internet? So then how are you disappointed? Unrealistic expectations? I think so.

Ultimately there are two options:

A) Abuse moderation (this site has its share of that.)

B) Let the little debatable things fly.

The goal is to find a good balance between the two. That doesn't mean you need to spill your deepest regrets out every time someone doesn't have a rainbow up their ass.

#248 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

On a sort of off topic note. I wish they'd have a community spotlight-ish thing on the bombcast. Just like 5 minutes talking about current community happenings and what not.

They sounds awesome, but they probably wouldn't do it unfortunately. They barely remember to do emails. lol

#249 Posted by MocBucket62 (1131 posts) -

I can agree and disagree with your points. I know I have had issues with a few members before, but it mainly came from me saying something that rubbed other members the wrong way. You just need to choose your words and points carefully to not tick people off. There are good discussions on this site and thankfully they don't have many dumb comments that ruin the experience.

#250 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Morrow said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@OfficeBat: You do realise this thread is just adding to the negativity?

I think one of the great missed opportunities of premium membership is not limiting forum use to the bomb-faced medal wearers.

Now that would strip GB off of many members. It would also be unfair to limit a community only to paying members.

I don't think it would be unfair at all, it would limit the community but that definitely has its bonuses. I used to belong to a 40K forum that you had to pay to get access to and that place had zero assholes. Definitely the best online community I've ever belonged to. You wanna weed out douchebags, make them pay.

i'm cool with GB not being like that, I'm sure they wanna keep it as inclusive as possible and compared to pretty much every other place I've seen its awesome, but if you wanna turn away trolls at the door, make them pay to get in.

I can totally see your point and I think you're right about that. But there are also a lot of potentionally good members who'd be turned off by that. I think a community is most interesting if you have different people from all kinds of places and social classes.

Yeah it would limit the community for sure. I like how things are now, despite the occasional douche this is a pretty great group of people. The snark level gets a bit high sometimes but thats just the internet.