Discussion Time: The Most Broken Game You've Ever Played.

• 59 results
JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By JBG4

Mistakes Were Made Today

Tourists
Tourists

I kicked back today and decided to play a little Assassins Creed: Unity for the first time. Well, an hour later I found myself stuck under the ocean while townspeople walked in the sky above me... I could run forever by never made it back to land. I received a free code for the game so while it didn't hurt me financially I cannot yet say the emotional damage it caused. I'll probably return to the game at some point because I could have reloaded a save to restart the checkpoint to solve the problem but I was extremely bored by what I had played up to that point and running around underwater was rather amusing.

I wanted to make something out of my horrific experience AC: Unity so I decided to try to drag a number of you through some of your muddiest, darkest gaming memories. So...

What is the MOST broken (non-Early Access) game you have ever played?

Wrong Way, Sonic
Wrong Way, Sonic

I can't say that Unity is the most broken game that I have ever played because that distinction, for me personally, would go to Sonic: The Hedgehogon XBOX 360 from 2006. I grew up during the SNES and Genesis era and was a fan of the first couple of games in the series and I even, somewhat, liked Adventuredespite how bad it was but at least it was finishable. I can't even begin to guess how many times I got stuck on geometry, fell through the world, or ran into some crazy, progress killing bug in Sonic '06. One of the stranger instances that I can remember involved me running through a level (since it is a Sonic game you ran a lot) and just before I jumped through a ring the entire screen went black; the system and tv were fine because I could hear everything that was going on but I couldn't see a thing. I didn't die during this entire ordeal and have no idea what was going on in the game but when the video returned Sonic was standing in a tree. I honestly have no idea...

The game was a nightmare and now I want to hear about your gaming nightmares.

Anyway, thanks Duders and have a great weekend.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Mana Khemia for the psp. The load times in that game made it almost unplayable. Every time you opened a door, got into a battle, or ANYTHING you had a 30+ second load screen.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Gods and Generals. I don't think a single second of that game worked the way it should. I know it's popular to be all nice and stuff about game development and say "hey, it's hard" and "this was someone's labor of love," but some games are complete and terrible shit from conception to delivery and this is shining example of how true it is.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Recently Saints' Row IV on PS3. First, it took over an hour to install and patch. Then it hard locked my PS3 at least once per session with one grueling session coming in around 5-6 hard locks before I just gave up on the damned thing. It's a shame, the game was great fun otherwise. I finished it, but not 100%. I had no troubles with The Third and played through it twice.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine the N64 Version

I think that may have been the first game I ever bought off the internet. That was about the only way to get it, it never went to retail. It was at Blockbuster too, but mine only had like a copy and sold out practically instantly.

I didn't have a PC that could handle the PC version and I strongly prefer to play games like that with a controller. Like a Lucasarts action games of that era it was pretty glitchy and janky throughout the whole thing.

In retrospect I should have played the PC version since the N64 one had a game breaking bug (there was an elevator that wouldn't trigger) in the final boss fight. I never found a way past it. After all the hoops I went through to get that game I was about to smash my N64 I was so pissed.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Gods and Generals. I don't think a single second of that game worked the way it should. I know it's popular to be all nice and stuff about game development and say "hey, it's hard" and "this was someone's labor of love," but some games are complete and terrible shit from conception to delivery and this is shining example of how true it is.

Loading Video...

Gods and Generals is also responsible for one of the best reviews from classic GameSpot.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Might be a weird way to frame this response, but sadly I've never experienced a game's brokenness. Even legendarily broken games like Grand Theft Auto III never glitched during my time with them. I've never been a PC gamer so that could play into it a little bit but I've never experienced open world bank aside from goofy traffic accidents, never had faces inverted or any kind of cool, gamey stuff happen to me.

The closest I've come to a broken game was, sadly, from one of my favorite series of all-time. It was either NBA 2K12 or 2K13 that had a bit of a hard freeze error, and I was so stubborn about playing the game that I kept putting up with it and eventually the game totally bricked my PS3 and I had to get a new one. Luckily it was still under warranty.

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By autumn_thunder
JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JBG4

@zombiepie: @sparky_buzzsaw: I had forgotten about that game and especially the review. Someone could say Big Rigs for this too but I'm sure that the 4 people that played it, Alex included, don't want to dredge up those closeted memories.

Recently Saints' Row IV on PS3. First, it took over an hour to install and patch. Then it hard locked my PS3 at least once per session with one grueling session coming in around 5-6 hard locks before I just gave up on the damned thing. It's a shame, the game was great fun otherwise. I finished it, but not 100%. I had no troubles with The Third and played through it twice.

I had some weird issues with that too on PS3... I'm not sure what was going on but I eventually just played it on Steam.

@slag said:

Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine the N64 Version

I think that may have been the first game I ever bought off the internet. That was about the only way to get it, it never went to retail. It was at Blockbuster too, but mine only had like a copy and sold out practically instantly.

I didn't have a PC that could handle the PC version and I strongly prefer to play games like that with a controller. Like a Lucasarts action games of that era it was pretty glitchy and janky throughout the whole thing.

In retrospect I should have played the PC version since the N64 one had a game breaking bug (there was an elevator that wouldn't trigger) in the final boss fight. I never found a way past it. After all the hoops I went through to get that game I was about to smash my N64 I was so pissed.

I see your broken ass N64 game and raise you another, Superman 64... I played that knowing that it was broken and horrible and it didn't disappoint. I never played Indiana Jones on 64 but I totally believe you if you say it was glitchy, and hearing how you came about owning it that doesn't suprise me, haha... great stuff though.

queenoflasers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Battlecruiser 3000AD. From a store. I was so excited, because the game promised all this awesome stuff you could do. I figured out pretty soon that the awful control scheme was simply masking the totally non-existent gameplay. My dreams of buying and selling contraband cigarettes (yes, that was in the manual) were dashed. It was re-released in a supposedly fixed version a couple years later, and being an idiot, I tried it again. Though that time I got Software, Etc. to take it back.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrostyRyan

Deadly Premonition is pretty hilarious in a good and charming way that makes the game better. It's the only "so bad it's good" game to exist, as far as I'm concerned.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically? Probably ET for the Atari 2600. But I still beat it despite how bad others say it is, so I wonder if it really is the worst. Hm...

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You didn't happen to get the code for AC: Unity from this thread did you?

On topic: I've played a lot of broken ass games in my time but I don't think I have a definitive answer. Superman 64 is indeed every bit disastrous as people claim it to be, and Sonic 06 was practically unplayable for me, but I feel like I've played worse...

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly Enter the Matrix. Also I'm apparently kind of crazy because I thought it was kind of fun anyway, and I think I'm legitimately alone in thinking that.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb said:

Possibly Enter the Matrix. Also I'm apparently kind of crazy because I thought it was kind of fun anyway, and I think I'm legitimately alone in thinking that.

I'm pretty sure that game got pretty alright reviews when it released. I damn well know you're not the only one who likes it because I do and there's kind of a cult fanbase for it. Nothing crazy, more like a Spider-Man 2(video game) level of fanbase. People liked it.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You didn't happen to get the code for AC: Unity from this thread did you?

On topic: I've played a lot of broken ass games in my time but I don't think I have a definitive answer. Superman 64 is indeed every bit disastrous as people claim it to be, and Sonic 06 was practically unplayable for me, but I feel like I've played worse...

No, I saw the thread but I got a free code early this morning from a friend on Twitter...

Don't tell anyone but one of the main reasons I felt Sonic '06 was so unplayable was because I was dumb enough to actually look forward to it before playing it.

@pcorb said:

I'm pretty sure that game got pretty alright reviews when it released. I damn well know you're not the only one who likes it because I do and there's kind of a cult fanbase for it. Nothing crazy, more like a Spider-Man 2(video game) level of fanbase. People liked it.

I actually had some semblance of fun with Enter the Matrix... I'm not sure what it was but I thought that game was, "okay"

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I remember those old Novalogic Delta Force games being a hot mess most of the time, speaking of Novalogic, Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising was practically unplayable when it came out. The Fallout games were always buggy as hell, too (still are to this day). Most of it eventually got fixed by patches, but DAMN those things were rough at launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbg4: Heh, well if it makes you feel any better I almost got it when I was getting my 360 just because it was super cheap. I heard about how it was so awful, saw the glitches in videos, and I was still willing to give it a shot. Luckily I wised up and didn't, but years later my cousin did, and wow. Just playing the first level and I was laughing my ass off.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Quite possibly Battlefield 3 SP:

• A section where the sun magically moves across the sky whenever you move.
  • People in the T position.
  • Corpses that disappear after literally three seconds.
  • Planes that are just mysteriously stuck in the sky.
  • Clueless AI.
  • Lots of clipping through things.
  • Environments that unload but don't load back in. So, you can walk around a corner and everything is suddenly floating in the sky.
  • A bunch of wonky animations - particularly attack animations and jumping, etc...
  • Characters holding invisible weapons.
  • Lots and lots and lots of levitating objects/characters.
  • At least a couple of places where you can fall off the map.
  • Scenery that just disappears when you stand and look in specific directions.

It's amazing how something so linear can suffer from so much open-world jank.

No Caption Provided

Other Screenshots can be found here, but that one is my favourite, just because it's so disturbing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The worst I've probably had was Walking Dead, where it deleted my save game and I had to replay before the final episode.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@pcorb said:

Definitely not the only one; I was going to say the same thing. Enter the Matrix is one of the most broken, ugly games I've ever played, and yet I had a lot of fun playing it. A lot of that was just going around breaking the game with cheats on, but I had a lot of silly fun even in the regular game. I remember you could cause the game to crash in the secret bonus level by shooting grenades into the enemy spawn point until the number of enemies spawning was too much for the game to handle. I got a good laugh out of that.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By nophilip

The most broken game I've played is definitely The Fellowship of the Ring on GBA. There's a point when you're in Moria where you have to go through a door, only going through the door had about a 75% chance to crash your game and wipe your save. Incredibly frustrating to 12-year-old me. I still beat the game (mostly because it was my first GBA game and the only one I had at the time).

More recently, I've been very frustrated with Dying Light. Here's a rundown of the glitches I've run into so far:

• Several trophies are glitched and are either completely unobtainable or nearly unobtainable.
  • I got one of the best weapon mods in the game from finishing a quest. Upon booting the game up the next time, the game had A. Removed the mod from my inventory, B. Unapplied the mod from a weapon i had put it on, and C. Left the quest completed so I have no way of getting the mod again this playthrough.
  • My Survivor XP has glitched. I can no longer gain or lose points. I was 1000 points away from hitting max level. Maddening.

But that's Techland for you, I guess. Not sure what I expected.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout: New Vegas for sure. I bought the collectors edition for 360 day one played for like 8-10 hours went to bed woke up and I couldn't load my save. started over and it happened again. Apparently it was a known issue and it took them 3.5 months to fix it. Traded in the 360 version and bought the pc version and haven't looked back also man that game is buggy as hell. From dogs eyes floating beside their head scripting generally being as stable as a house in a swamp and just plain old open world jank that game was at least at launch broken as hell.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't really played a lot of properly broken games, because as hilarious as they can be, I just try to avoid them. Even things like New Vegas that were notoriously broken I never had much trouble with. So probably something like Dust: An Elysian Tail on OSX... I don't know if it was just my resolution (2,560 x 1,440) but that game was straight-up fucking broken. None of the menus appeared properly, and there were parts of the map screen that you clearly weren't even supposed to able to see as they were just weird grey/brown/yellow boxes and unfinished edges floating in a black void.

Also every single cutscene played in a 640x480 window in the middle of the screen without sound, which was then followed up by blackness where the audio from the previous cutscene would play. This wasn't even a one-off bug, it happened on every one, with no exceptions.

Aside from that, the only thing I can think of is maybe Spacebase DF-9, which unfortunately even after they "finished" it was still a broken pile of crap. Ignoring that it only had about 25-30 minutes of unique content, the last time I played it there were horrible AI issues where your researchers would drive themselves insane after completing about 5% of a project, and they could never be calmed down because the markers for security personnel didn't work. Also, if you ever tried to dismantle something, half the time your crew wouldn't put on their spacesuits first and then would just take down a wall and asphyxiate. Although, to be fair they could have fixed that stuff by now, but I haven't played it since whenever 1.0 came out last year.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The LittleBigPlanet series. Yes, all three of them. The camera going haywire in spots, the falling through levels glitch, the freezing during the loading screens, the certain assets not loading, the 750ms ping across all games that makes online play impossible, and I could go on. Or, how about that little bug that randomly crashes the game and corrupts the save files that without PS Plus leaves you in a shit situation?

Whatever game engine they've used for these games needs to be taken out to pasture and chopped through the neck.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

At launch, Unity was so broken on my machine (R9 280x), it was hilarious. Never before had I seen a PC game that managed drop to 14 frames per second, on a regular basis, while having every setting set to "low". I mean, it really is a crowning achievement in incompetence to manage to get the framerate that low, well done!

In terms of just straight up glitches, the most broken game I've played is probably Fallout 3 on PC. That game had some serious fuckin' issues at launch. Just dudes flying into the sky for no reason, scripts breaking constantly, dialogue on infinite repeat, followers dropping dead out of no where. It's impossible to even list all the glitches I saw for the two weeks I played of it. Part of it was charming, sure, but if we are talking about just straight up "that shit broke", Fallout 3 takes the cake for me.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim on PS3 got fucked after a while. Also, one of the STALKER games on PC was crashing constantly at launch.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By discomposure

Hmm the worse was probably Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3, I first played it last year. I'd played both Elder Scrolls games on PS3 as well as Fallout New Vegas so I wasn't exactly expecting a bug-free game but damn. Aside from the 'usual' freezes, framerate drops and graphical/animation glitches there was a DLC mission that I had to restart several times, each time it would glitch in a way which made it impossible to continue - made worse by the fact you couldn't leave that section either so I had to load an earlier save or be forever trapped. It wasn't even the same glitch every time, I swear there were 3 or 4 different ways it glitched on me. I did actually really like that DLC once I got past the beginning of it on like my 8th attempt but man did that piss me off, almost made me give up on the game entirely.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Panelhopper

@pcorb: Enter the Matrix might of had some premium jank but The Path of Neo...it was fuelled by it. I mean, helped that the game was basically a retail quality rom hack of the first game but still. It got crazy sometimes.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably that 5-a-side game on the Amstrad CPC where the game would completely halt if you kicked the ball out of the arena.

s-bot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, FIFA13 on the PS3. Maybe it's because I have an old 'phat' PS3 but the commentary would just stop if the ball went out (or for any stoppage) and the game would freeze most of the time after team selection or if you paused to make a sub. Still absolutely unplayable, despite the patch that went out.

Thank god I bought it second hand for almost nothing, because I don't see how people could pay $80+ for that.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a friend with which we play hilariously busted games all the time so it would be hard to name a specific one. Ride to Hell?

The most busted game I've put any real time into would definitely be Neverwinter Nights 2, holy shit.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By HH

i'm not sure i've ever had a game breaking bug before, a couple of times i had to reload an earlier save but nothing too taxing.

recently DA:Inquisition felt very buggy to me, i relied on the backstab ability in combat, which quite often sent my character flying right across the map, and i would then have to run back over to the fight like an idiot.

i remember being really into Warhammer 40k Squad Command on the PSP, being really careful with my moves, and then in one battle realizing the enemy AI wasn't even smart enough to kill me after a series of blunders i made. had to stop playing.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if they were super shitty or utterly broken, but for me it's a tie between Rogue Warrior and Conflict: Denied Ops.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I mean I've played Big Rigs multiple times. Aside from that its most likely Vampire the Masquerade. Love that game though.

euantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By euantor

Most recently, Thief on PS4. Characters would frequently clip through each other, artefacts from cut scenes would often stay in the world, guards would sometimes see you through solid objects (such as walls). It wasn't a great game anyway, but these bugs made it even worse.

I've actually managed to play through Unity's main storyline without hitting any major game breaking bugs at all so far. I've had a few issues with getting temporarily stuck on objects of scenery and stuff, but nothing that has forced a reload or reset.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim was incredibly buggy at release, but I wouldn't say it was broken.

Ah! I have an answer! Cryostasis! It's a fantastic game, but there's a game-breaking bug where if you get a certain length into the game (I believe after the hospital level), you enter into no-clip mode. I tried everything I could to turn it off, looked it up on the internet, I tried entering in console commands, tried changing text files... Fucking NOTHING worked. I have no idea what happened to this day, but I just quit playing after that, which is unfortunate, because I was finally getting to the good part of the game where shit is being explained. I think restarting the entire game would've fixed it, but I wasn't about to replay the however many hours over again.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Evilsbane

The most recent example would have to be the Master Chief Collection: First off I bought it to play Co-op and that didn't work for 1 month after I purchased it the lag was unbelievable. So after a month we tried again and it was much more playable so we started going through them in order, we had crashes, freezing, graphical errors, after it would load a new map sometimes the lag would just kick in until we did a full restart, the built in friends bar is totally trash and normally doesn't show the other player your connected to and if you try to go anywhere or do anything while connected to another player it will often break the connection.

I've had achievements unlock, or not unlock for no reason, checkpoints and saved games vanish or completed levels just no longer being shown as completed, loading screens would just hang forever and attempting to join a party after the game was started proved to be a great way to make it just not work. I've played Halo 1-3 many times and the number of scripting errors alone was staggering, it was the sorta stuff that most people wouldn't notice unless you've played way to much of the game most of it wasn't game breaking but there was a lot of it. I really should upload some of my bug videos and link them there are some funny moments.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Jeust

Fable Anniversary still stutters and hard locks my Xbox 360 from time to time.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JBG4

The most recent example would have to be the Master Chief Collection: First off I bought it to play Co-op and that didn't work for 1 month after I purchased it the lag was unbelievable. So after a month we tried again and it was much more playable so we started going through them in order, we had crashes, freezing, graphical errors, after it would load a new map sometimes the lag would just kick in until we did a full restart, the built in friends bar is totally trash and normally doesn't show the other player your connected to and if you try to go anywhere or do anything while connected to another player it will often break the connection.

I've had achievements unlock, or not unlock for no reason, checkpoints and saved games vanish or completed levels just no longer being shown as completed, loading screens would just hang forever and attempting to join a party after the game was started proved to be a great way to make it just not work. I've played Halo 1-3 many times and the number of scripting errors alone was staggering, it was the sorta stuff that most people wouldn't notice unless you've played way to much of the game most of it wasn't game breaking but there was a lot of it. I really should upload some of my bug videos and link them there are some funny moments.

Mother of God... I forgot about this 2 month old game because of the emotional damage it caused me. I was so excited for it because I played a ton of Halo multiplayer in college and was insanely disappointed in the MCC.

The craziest part about the game is that it STILL doesn't work.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DrZing

There's a quest in Skyrim where you end up in a cave with the water rising, and have to swim out. I had probably put 20-30 hours in by this point. On PS3 the game hard locks the minute you touch the water. I didn't have a backup save early enough to avoid the bug. I think it took them around 2 years to fix this, and I would check every patch if it was fixed yet or not. I eventually got the PC version cheap and I've tried to play it a few times... but this bug really ruined the game for me and I can't seem to get motivated to play the game again, which is a real shame.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@haruko said:

Fallout: New Vegas for sure. I bought the collectors edition for 360 day one played for like 8-10 hours went to bed woke up and I couldn't load my save. started over and it happened again. Apparently it was a known issue and it took them 3.5 months to fix it. Traded in the 360 version and bought the pc version and haven't looked back also man that game is buggy as hell. From dogs eyes floating beside their head scripting generally being as stable as a house in a swamp and just plain old open world jank that game was at least at launch broken as hell.

Same here. Played somewhere between 6 and 10 hours before calling it a day. I always planned on going back to it after it got patched and fixed, I still think about giving it a go from time to time, but I never have.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Silent Hill HD collection was a buggy almost alpha like experience, I got to a point in three where whenever I went into a certain door the game would crash, luckily I could back track throughout almost the entire level and get around this door, but that was just one bug on top of a pile of bugs, sound clipping out, the game world loading enemies before you could actually see them, going in and out of the inventory stalling the game for a few seconds. I could go on but it was just trash.

Besides that I would say the worst I ever had it was Oblivion on the 360, probably part game, probably part 360, but that game was a stuttering, stalling, crashing, janky mess if I tried to play it for more then an hour at a time.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gosh, you guys must be rather young.. have you never experienced the broken ass games the MS-DOS era brought to life? Old Elderscrolls games were bugged to hell and back. Daggerfall, for example.. but that was a wee bit before my time too. I did play some Jurassic Park trespasser though and it suuuuucked. Nothing worked.

The broken game I played the most was probably Morrowind on PC. Right when it came out. It was an awesome experience, even if it would crash every 30 minutes or something. I played through the game regardless. It could have stabbed me in the chest repeatedly and I still would have played it.

God, Morrowind was awesome!

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: I was so disappointed in the Silent Hill collection because those are 2 of my favorite survival horror games, and 2 is one of my favorite games of all-time and I really wanted to play through them again but it was so awful.

Gosh, you guys must be rather young.. have you never experienced the broken ass games the MS-DOS era brought to life? Old Elderscrolls games were bugged to hell and back. Daggerfall, for example.. but that was a wee bit before my time too. I did play some Jurassic Park trespasser though and it suuuuucked. Nothing worked.

The broken game I played the most was probably Morrowind on PC. Right when it came out. It was an awesome experience, even if it would crash every 30 minutes or something. I played through the game regardless. It could have stabbed me in the chest repeatedly and I still would have played it.

God, Morrowind was awesome!

I'm 30. So, I'm old in the eyes of many... haha, especially my daughter.

I didn't have a PC or any equivalent until the early 2000's though right before I went to college so most of my early broken game experiences were on NES or Atari... ET was certainly a disaster... but it's hard to remember stuff that I played in the late 80's or early 90's because I just thought that's how games were. When I couldn't complete a level back then I just thought I wasn't good enough as opposed to it being the game that was keeping me from it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#45 FinalDasa  Moderator
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

New Vegas on the 360 was a fucking mess for me. Hard locked probably dozens of times.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games like Batman: Arkham Origins or Halo Master Chief Collection come straight to mine.

The clear winner is Superman 64. Broken? Maybe not. Absolute trash? Pretty close.

I mentioned Superman 64 earlier... that game is a disaster. Those controls have to be broken because if they worked as intended then whoever made that game had to be programming in total darkness.

Have you tried to play it recently? I did a few weeks ago. It is, possibly, the worst game of all-time and that aspect holds up.

@ramone said:

New Vegas on the 360 was a fucking mess for me. Hard locked probably dozens of times.

I saw so many people had issues with New Vegas but I only ever experienced minor bugs.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 on the PS3 plagued me with near-constant crashes on loading screens, multiple game-ending bugs that broke the main questline, severe lag for apparently no reason, objects getting caught in geometry and spinning around and all sorts of miscellaneous bugs. I encountered a lot of bugs in the PS3 versions of Skyrim and New Vegas too. Then again, when I went back to play all three of them on PC, I don't think I ran into any bugs.

I also had the joy of playing Superman 64 at a friend's house who didn't have many games and he seemed genuinely, unironically enthused by it. I guess when you're like 7 years old you could watch a turd dance for a few hours and still feel great about it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#49  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Leaning towards Conquest Earth. It's an 1997 RTS with some interesting ideas, like having a four way split-screen view of the battlefield, allowing you to check on your base and places of importance at the same time. It doesn't have any pathfinding at all though, nor having any kind of AI for the players units - you have to manage every single soldier on the field in order to make them fire on approaching enemies, since they won't return fire when fired upon. To make matters worse, they won't move into range either, so if the enemy is too far away, your soldiers will just shoot at the ground when you order them to fire upon the enemy units.

No Caption Provided

Haze also comes to mind. Unlike most, I actually enjoyed parts of that game, and appreciated what they were trying to do with it - but I had to replay so many parts of that game over and over due to it's many bugs. In one section you have to drive your car up some mountain roads in order to reach a point within a time limit, but over and over for at least an hour the ground would just randomly disappear and the car fell into oblivion about halfway up the mountain. Had similar experiences in a section where you had to set explosives on a bridge within a time limit.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Maybe those soldiers shooting at the ground were just practicing for when the enemy gets in range... sounds less broken to me and more incredibly detailed. I'm joking, that sounds like a complete mess.

Haze was a mess that I got a couple of minutes of enjoyment from.

It had some "fair" moments but that game was less broken for me and more boring.

@456nto said:

I also had the joy of playing Superman 64 at a friend's house who didn't have many games and he seemed genuinely, unironically enthused by it. I guess when you're like 7 years old you could watch a turd dance for a few hours and still feel great about it.

That's the "blissful ignorance" that I spoke about earlier in reply to someone who wondered how old I am... and it isn't that I'm young now at 30 but when I was 7 or 8 in the early 90's I didn't know that games were broken, all I cared about was that I was playing a video game and those things are cool, I think!