Disgea DS

Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By Mexalen

Since buying Disgea DS I only managed to pour in a couple hours of gameplay, but have to say I really like what I have seen so far.
The story is quite funny and told in a quirky way. I especially like the way Flonna, the angel trainee, interacts with her surroundings in the demon-world.
The game can be pretty tough if you don't keep your eyes open and care where you step. Entering the item-world can be a deathwish if not prepared ;) With the Geo-effects, pupils, combos and chaineffects all mixed together I think I never played a strategy game where the placing of your units was this critical. Chess is a game for pre-schoolers in comparison ;) (at least if you want to make the most of it, I guess you can still win battles and have lots of fun, if you don't pay that much attention to details).

I still have to figure out how to bribe senators to get them to vote my way ... even if they say, they would vote my way, they stay nay-sayers most of the time. Those bastards ;)

The graphics are underwhelming, but I don't mind.

Somewhere I read that the games charme will only reveal itself, if you spend lots of time with it and play it over and over again. At first I couldn't see my self walking that road, but at the moment I just can't get enough...

Yeah, I guess I am pretty happy with that purchase ...

Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Mexalen

Since buying Disgea DS I only managed to pour in a couple hours of gameplay, but have to say I really like what I have seen so far.
The story is quite funny and told in a quirky way. I especially like the way Flonna, the angel trainee, interacts with her surroundings in the demon-world.
The game can be pretty tough if you don't keep your eyes open and care where you step. Entering the item-world can be a deathwish if not prepared ;) With the Geo-effects, pupils, combos and chaineffects all mixed together I think I never played a strategy game where the placing of your units was this critical. Chess is a game for pre-schoolers in comparison ;) (at least if you want to make the most of it, I guess you can still win battles and have lots of fun, if you don't pay that much attention to details).

I still have to figure out how to bribe senators to get them to vote my way ... even if they say, they would vote my way, they stay nay-sayers most of the time. Those bastards ;)

The graphics are underwhelming, but I don't mind.

Somewhere I read that the games charme will only reveal itself, if you spend lots of time with it and play it over and over again. At first I couldn't see my self walking that road, but at the moment I just can't get enough...

Yeah, I guess I am pretty happy with that purchase ...

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Eelcire

Indeed, you have found a very good and deep game. I have over 300 hours poured into the PS2 version of Disgaea have got the three primary characters up to around levels 400-500, all wearing the best equipment available for them at level 99 and highest rareity (that took some time). Then I go and buy the DS version and have to do it all over again, and I love it just as much!

DS version is great in that it contains the bonus Etna missions from the PSP release of Disgaea;  only real downside is the lack of [japanese] voice acting. Continue playing through, and if you like this type of wacky japanese hurmor in SRPGs, then find Disgaea 2 and also Makai Kingdom and La Pucelle Tactics (all of which are on PS2). Be on the lookout for some bonus characters from the latter two games I listed in Disgaea as well.

Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Epic1990
Eelcire said:
"Indeed, you have found a very good and deep game. I have over 300 hours poured into the PS2 version of Disgaea have got the three primary characters up to around levels 400-500, all wearing the best equipment available for them at level 99 and highest rareity (that took some time). Then I go and buy the DS version and have to do it all over again, and I love it just as much!DS version is great in that it contains the bonus Etna missions from the PSP release of Disgaea;  only real downside is the lack of [japanese] voice acting. Continue playing through, and if you like this type of wacky japanese hurmor in SRPGs, then find Disgaea 2 and also Makai Kingdom and La Pucelle Tactics (all of which are on PS2). Be on the lookout for some bonus characters from the latter two games I listed in Disgaea as well."
Phantom Brave, and if you're feeling randy, Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Eelcire

Careful now, or Mexalen might drown in too much SRPG goodness from NIS ; )

Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Epic1990

There is never too much SRPG goodness from NIS. MOAR! HE NEEDS MOAR!

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Disgaeamad
Eelcire said:
"Careful now, or Mexalen might drown in too much SRPG goodness from NIS ; )"
All the better, then. NIS SRPGs are gems which deserve as much attention and praise as possible. Never before have I played games where I could be entertained for over 300 hours and still want more.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ

Both before and after chrono trigger i was spending most of my gaming time with Disgaea, and before I knew it i had put almost 50 hours into the game, and i still havent beaten it yet. I never bother challenging the "senate" decisions because theres always one or two there that are vastly more powerful than me. God I hate gordon and thursday sooo much. creating characters is a lot of fun, but without any kind of backstory for them they seem kind of shallow.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Luke

I never picked-up the DS version, but I can honestly say that the PS2 version is on my top 10 list of all time favorite games!  Enjoy Mexalen!

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By inkeiren

Phantom Brave was fun. I couldn't enjoy La Pucelle as much for some reason, but I realize it's a fairly good game. I still haven't finished Disgaea for the DS, but I'm having fun.