Disgusting move by Bioware and all other publishers...

• 93 results
Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Outrager

You can always not buy the game on day 1 if you care about the reviews that much. It's not going to kill you to not play it right away. Or you can always pretend it comes out a week later so in your mind the reviews are on time.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By TheHBK

I wish I had seen that Creed review from EGM, I would not have bought the game, instead I just read the Gamespot one, ugh.  Regretted buying that game.  Yeah, its bullshit, but hey, its not a bad tactic on the part of the publisher, just want to get more sales.  But the ones that need to do the right thing are the reviewers who can say no to the free copy and the exclusivity and go buy the game on launch day.  But really, its unrealistic because they want pre launch reviews on their sites to get more people reading, and I wonder how much of an impact having to buy games would be.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By JoeyIA

Bioware choosed to be a publisher?  I didn't see anything about this in any of the Polish gaming mags!
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Venatio said:
" This thread is fucking stupid "
Seconded.
Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

That's why GB reviews rule, because most of the time, you hear them having to go out and buy the games from review, so at least you know their reviews are rather unbiased.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@GeneralTurkle said:
" @SuperfluousMoniker said:
" @YakuzaIII said:
Do the music or movie industry work the same? no. "
Actually, they do the exact same thing. When studios think a movie is going to flop, they don't hold preview screenings for critics so there are no bad reviews until the movie comes out. It's kind of a red flag. "
lol! Have you never seen a preview for a movie on TV where it's like "JOE BLOW GAVE THIS MOVIE 2 THUMBS UP!" when the the movie hasn't even came out yet? case closed "
Dude, I don't know how I could be more clear. Movies that are expected to be review well get preview screenings so they can put that quote in their commercial. Movies that aren't, don't. Go to Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic and line up the review dates for, oh say, Saw 6 with the movie release date. They are all after the theatrical release. Meanwhile, Avatar had reviews up two weeks before it hit theaters. It's common practice.
Avatar image for russianblue8181
russianblue8181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By russianblue8181

Luckily, all signs point to Mass Effect 2 being outstanding anyway, so I don't think this is quite as vile as, say, Tony Hawk Ride reviews needing to be above 90% to get early access.  Publishers and marketing departments need to control the message, and this isn't really even that new.  Back when God of War II came out, that game was reviewed by all of the major gaming sites weeks in advance, and it was seen as a way to build up buzz and hype.  They weren't tricking the consumers into buying a game that they thought was better than it actually was, because the game was, indeed, great.  I understand the outrage, but I think there are better targets out there than Bioware, who have a pretty sterling track record as far as I'm concerned.

YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By YakuzaIII
@JoeyIA said:
" Bioware choosed to be a publisher?  I didn't see anything about this in any of the Polish gaming mags! "
no, but they seem to care about money.
It's easy to say, well they got bought up by EA and thats why they start to sell DLC on day 1 etc.
But the thing is, Microsoft thought about buying Bioware once, but bioware turned it down.
But I guess they surrendered to money, because why else sign up with EA in the end?
Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By PistolPackinPoet
@Venatio said:
YakuzaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By YakuzaIII
@PistolPackinPoet said:

" @Venatio said:

"
yeah, im so sorry for trolling about not getting any review in time. from more then one big gaming site.
I guess IGN's opinion=law.

I also wish that some sites had the balls, not to put up ADVS for games they are not allowed to review in time.
so lame, here is a company which refuse to let you review their product, but you should advs meanwhile for it?
GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By GeneralTurkle
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" @GeneralTurkle said:
" @SuperfluousMoniker said:
" @YakuzaIII said:
Do the music or movie industry work the same? no. "
Actually, they do the exact same thing. When studios think a movie is going to flop, they don't hold preview screenings for critics so there are no bad reviews until the movie comes out. It's kind of a red flag. "
lol! Have you never seen a preview for a movie on TV where it's like "JOE BLOW GAVE THIS MOVIE 2 THUMBS UP!" when the the movie hasn't even came out yet? case closed "
Dude, I don't know how I could be more clear. Movies that are expected to be review well get preview screenings so they can put that quote in their commercial. Movies that aren't, don't. Go to Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic and line up the review dates for, oh say, Saw 6 with the movie release date. They are all after the theatrical release. Meanwhile, Avatar had reviews up two weeks before it hit theaters. It's common practice. "
I twas not bashing you.  I twas bashing OP. Sorry for the mix up
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Well, at least the OP didn't write 6 pages with full color diagrams. 

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By cstrang
@PistolPackinPoet said:
" @Venatio said:
"
Eloquent in its brevity.

It's all part of business, duder.  Get over it.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#64  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online
@Venatio said:
I support this statement.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By vaiz

This thread is bad and we should all feel bad.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By Snail

If they want to review the game they can still buy it. Freaking media-conspiracy-bullshit freaks.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

That's the real world for you. Investors and shareholders matter, not us crazy fan people who actually buy the product.

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By Lestater
@YakuzaIII: You know BioWare is a developer and not a publisher, right?  You know that... right?  Just say yes and we'll all pretend this is a good thread doing good things.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Geno

*facepalm* 

How old are you? I want to set up a flowchart for stupidity.  

a) This is not a big deal 
b) TONS of sites have review copies of ME2 already, both big and small
c) Your writing is barely discernible 
d) Publishers do a little cherry-picking when they decide what gets out about their game; so? They're about making money like every business out there. Movies have done it since the beginning of time. Once the game is officially launched, anyone who wants to have their say, will.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CptBedlam
@Snail said:
" If they want to review the game they can still buy it. Freaking media-conspiracy-bullshit freaks. "
Reviewing games after their release is a serious disadvantage for magazines/sites. They will lose readers who get their information about the respective game from other places then.

It's not a conspiracy ... those pratices are real, friend.
GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By GeneralTurkle
@YakuzaIII said:
" @PistolPackinPoet said:

" @Venatio said:

"
yeah, im so sorry for trolling about not getting any review in time. from more then one big gaming site. I guess IGN's opinion=law.  I also wish that some sites had the balls, not to put up ADVS for games they are not allowed to review in time. so lame, here is a company which refuse to let you review their product, but you should advs meanwhile for it? "
No Caption Provided
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Snail
@CptBedlam said:
" @Snail said:
" If they want to review the game they can still buy it. Freaking media-conspiracy-bullshit freaks. "
Reviewing games after their release is a serious disadvantage for magazines/sites. They will lose readers who get their information about the respective game from other places then.  It's not a conspiracy ... those pratices are real, friend. "
Deal with it. It's how business goes, it's not just the video game industry so stop acting like a child about it and grow up.
2Yewtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By 2Yewtz
@YakuzaIII said:
"IGN choosed ME as the best XBOX 360game, go figure why they got handpicked."
Chose. Not "choosed". If you're going to rant aimlessly at least do it properly.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

Did any of you see his "revenge" thread before the mods took it down? That was pretty funny.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CptBedlam
@Snail said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" @Snail said:
Reviewing games after their release is a serious disadvantage for magazines/sites. They will lose readers who get their information about the respective game from other places then.  It's not a conspiracy ... those pratices are real, friend. "
Deal with it. It's how business goes, it's not just the video game industry so stop acting like a child about it and grow up. "
I know that; it's you who acts like it's just "freaking media-conspiracy-bullshit" and doesn't exist.
stratzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By stratzilla

Bioware is a development studio, not a publisher. It is the publisher's decision whether or not a journalism site gets an advance copy; Bioware is not to blame here.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#77  Edited By the8bitNacho

Please tell me this fucker got banned.  I'm so pissed over the shit he just pulled.  Final Fantasy is all about story for me, so now I'm not even sure if I'm getting it.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#78  Edited By citizenkane

Welcome to Business & Marketing 101, kid.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Snail
@CptBedlam: Fine, that is not what I meant to say, it was a sort of hyperbola. Remove the conspiracy part. There. That's you. Freaking out over low blows done by all-mighty companies. How is ranting about it going to change anything? Just give it up and play your games. 
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#80  Edited By the8bitNacho
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Did any of you see his "revenge" thread before the mods took it down? That was pretty funny. "
Maybe if you don't actually care about Final Fantasy.  For those of us that do, well, needless to say I'm pretty furious right now.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online
@Kombat: Yeah, I can see how that would fucking suck for those actually interested in FFXIII and I sympathize with your situation (Imagine if someone spoiled Mass Effect 2 on these forums. There would be a huge shitstorm). You can still probably get the game though. Knowing that some people die at the end of a Final Fantasy game isn't exactly class A spoilers and without context there is still reason to see the story for yourself.

However, I found it funny because he responded in such a juvenile way after we called out his imaginary media conspiracy and told him he was an idiot.
Skeetlejuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Skeetlejuice

there is no point bitching about how shit is done. 

if you want as much info before you buy a game and yet still want to get preorder bonus (only reason to bother preordering imo) 

put your preorder in at a time that should guarantee your place for said bonus item. 

once game is released and your called to pickup your preorder, call / or ask if you get the call if the bonus items are in for your copy (provided it's not some code for dlc you got at the start)  find out what the policy is for how much time you can take before you lose your preorder(if you paid in full you don't lose it if you deposited $5 bucks it might be a day or two) 

on the day of the release the majority of the reviews should be available/ not to mention seeing the early ign or whatever... once you have seen enough to convince you of a) the game being something you will enjoy and b) if your not sure is this a title that will likely have high trade in or demand for a private sale or a high credit trade in. 

if no reviews just go with your gut based on genre/ advance video etc. 

That is really the only/best way I know to make sure you get all the shit and minimize your risk as a consumer.  

if the reviews suck or you change your mind, go and have your preorder refunded or swapped to some big game that will likely be a sure deal your choice.(at your convenience like 2 weeks later if you want)

cheers.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Oh my. Don't pop a vein.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By CptBedlam
@Snail said:
" @CptBedlam: Fine, that is not what I meant to say, it was a sort of hyperbola. Remove the conspiracy part. There. That's you. Freaking out over low blows done by all-mighty companies. How is ranting about it going to change anything? Just give it up and play your games.  "
Why not letting us talk and rant about it even if it's common knowledge? You play your games and stop complaining about our rants, how about that?
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Snail
@CptBedlam: I find it amusing that you think that you are having a discussion with someone. "Let us talk" you say? Who is "us"? 

@Tarsier said:
" Or how about ME2 is a great game and deserves those scores? hm? "
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" Oh my. Don't pop a vein. "
@CitizenKane said:
" Welcome to Business & Marketing 101, kid. "
@Kombat said:
" Please tell me this fucker got banned.  I'm so pissed over the shit he just pulled.  Final Fantasy is all about story for me, so now I'm not even sure if I'm getting it. "
@stratzilla said:
" Bioware is a development studio, not a publisher. It is the publisher's decision whether or not a journalism site gets an advance copy; Bioware is not to blame here. "
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Did any of you see his "revenge" thread before the mods took it down? That was pretty funny. "
@Geno said:
" *facepalm*  How old are you? I want to set up a flowchart for stupidity.   a) This is not a big deal b) TONS of sites have review copies of ME2 already, both big and smallc) Your writing is barely discernible d) Publishers do a little cherry-picking when they decide what gets out about their game; so? They're about making money like every business out there. Movies have done it since the beginning of time. Once the game is officially launched, anyone who wants to have their say, will. "
@cstrang said:
" @Venatio said:
"
Eloquent in its brevity.  It's all part of business, duder.  Get over it. "
How about you shut the fuck up and take a look at what is happening here?
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By CptBedlam
@Snail said:

" @CptBedlam: I find it amusing that you think that you are having a discussion with someone. "Let us talk" you say? Who is "us"? 

@Tarsier

said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@CitizenKane said:

@Kombat said:

" Please tell me this fucker got banned.  I'm so pissed over the shit he just pulled.  Final Fantasy is all about story for me, so now I'm not even sure if I'm getting it. "

@stratzilla said:

" Bioware is a development studio, not a publisher. It is the publisher's decision whether or not a journalism site gets an advance copy; Bioware is not to blame here. "

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Geno said:

" *facepalm*  How old are you? I want to set up a flowchart for stupidity.   a) This is not a big deal b) TONS of sites have review copies of ME2 already, both big and smallc) Your writing is barely discernible d) Publishers do a little cherry-picking when they decide what gets out about their game; so? They're about making money like every business out there. Movies have done it since the beginning of time. Once the game is officially launched, anyone who wants to have their say, will. "

@cstrang said:

" @Venatio said:
"
How about you shut the fuck up and take a look at what is happening here? "
What is happening here? Tell me. People are pissed about such practices from publishers and some mistakenly blame Bioware for those, not the publisher. Even more reason to talk about it.

How about YOU stfu. Maybe we won't change anything by talking about it, but maybe raised consciousness about such things will change things in the long run. But YOU certainly won't change anything by telling people to shut up about bad practices. Why do you even care if people voice their opinion about this? Why don't you follow your own advice and just play your games instead of worrying about what people say?

To be honest, I didn't read the whole thread. If he's a troll, so be it. But what I told you is my opinion in general about this issue.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Snail
@CptBedlam: In case you hadn't noticed those quotes are criticizing your stupid thread, not the publisher/developer. 

And, while we're at it, BioWare is a publisher, they had nothing to do with this, EA, the developer is very likely the one responsible for the manipulation of reviews. And that isn't a surprise considering the annoying little pricks they are. 

Anyhow, I should not have heeded call of the troll. This is nothing like me. 

Keep your stupid thread, keep convincing yourself that someone actually takes you seriously. I'm done here. 

EDIT: Accidentally swapped Publisher and Developer. Give me a break, it's late here.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By CptBedlam
@Snail: 

1. How did you get the idea that this is my thread?  My first post is on page 3, you blind moron.

2. Bioware = developer; EA = publisher ... not the other way round. Do you even understand these terms?

And ouf course it's EA, the PUBLISHER, who's pulling that shit. Just like many other PUBLISHERS do. But if people blame Bioware, then it shows that there's need to talk about that stuff to inform people that it's not Biowares fault. Do you get it now?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By CL60
@Snail said:
" @CptBedlam: In case you hadn't noticed those quotes are criticizing your stupid thread, not the publisher/developer.  And, while we're at it, BioWare is a publisher, they had nothing to do with this, EA, the developer is very likely the one responsible for the manipulation of reviews. And that isn't a surprise considering the annoying little pricks they are.  Anyhow, I should not have heeded call of the troll. This is nothing like me.  Keep your stupid thread, keep convincing yourself that someone actually takes you seriously. I'm done here. "
Wait what? Are you saying Bioware is the publisher and EA is the developer? Because if so...sigh..
Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90  Edited By Spiral_Stars
@WinterSnowblind said:
Look at Tony Hawk Ride in comparasion, where only reviewers who gave the game a 90% or higher were allowed to review the game before release. "
I read two of the reviews that gave it 90%. It definitely feels like someone made a bucket of money writing those reviews.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Snail
@CptBedlam: Oh wow. 

• Default Giant Bomb avatar usually indicates new troll account, did not even look at the name sorry about that.
  • I totally exchanged the terms, non-itentional, I am aware of the difference. Stop acting like a child, and criticizing my mistake. My point maintains, I am saying the same as you are. Sorry for ruining your momentary sense of superiority

On a final note, I still maintain this thread is pretty dumb and I can't see why someone that is not the OP would defend it so intensely. No one is taking this seriously, the thread is filled with one-liner derogatory comments and the discussion can lead to nowhere.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By CptBedlam
@Snail: I don't care how stupid the thread is worded or how much of a troll the poster is ... I'm pissed by such practices - even if they are common and everyone knows about it. That doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about this issue. And if people want to talk about it, just let them ... what does it bother you? You don't need to read it.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@CptBedlam said:
" @Snail said:

" @CptBedlam: I find it amusing that you think that you are having a discussion with someone. "Let us talk" you say? Who is "us"? 

@Tarsier

said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@CitizenKane said:

@Kombat said:

@stratzilla said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Geno said:

@cstrang said:

" @Venatio said:
"
How about you shut the fuck up and take a look at what is happening here? "
What is happening here? Tell me. People are pissed about such practices from publishers and some mistakenly blame Bioware for those, not the publisher. Even more reason to talk about it.  How about YOU stfu. Maybe we won't change anything by talking about it, but maybe raised consciousness about such things will change things in the long run. But YOU certainly won't change anything by telling people to shut up about bad practices. Why do you even care if people voice their opinion about this? Why don't you follow your own advice and just play your games instead of worrying about what people say? To be honest, I didn't read the whole thread. If he's a troll, so be it. But what I told you is my opinion in general about this issue. "

@Snail said:
" @CptBedlam: In case you hadn't noticed those quotes are criticizing your stupid thread, not the publisher/developer.  And, while we're at it, BioWare is a publisher, they had nothing to do with this, EA, the developer is very likely the one responsible for the manipulation of reviews. And that isn't a surprise considering the annoying little pricks they are.  Anyhow, I should not have heeded call of the troll. This is nothing like me.  Keep your stupid thread, keep convincing yourself that someone actually takes you seriously. I'm done here. "
@CptBedlam said:
" @Snail:   1. How did you get the idea that this is my thread?  My first post is on page 3, you blind moron.2. Bioware = developer; EA = publisher ... not the other way round. Do you even understand these terms?  And ouf course it's EA, the PUBLISHER, who's pulling that shit. Just like many other PUBLISHERS do. But if people blame Bioware, then it shows that there's need to talk about that stuff to inform people that it's not Biowares fault. Do you get it now? "
LOL.  Man, this forum is just seething with hatred.  Everyone is so angry & upset they don't seem to know who is writing what & coming to the aid of the wrong people & then the two of them are arguing about it.

If this isn't a case of "friendly" fire, I don't know what to call it.   Nerd rage?
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Snail
@CptBedlam: I see a stupid thread, I criticize it, that's just how I roll. 

@Lind_L_Taylor: You're right.  This discussion is pathetic. If we keep this up we'll be arguing semantics soon. 

Thanks for that Taylor.