#51 Posted by Fobwashed (2074 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

Reboot the whole franchise, The Star Wars.

Lets do this, and have that one movie cover all 6 films.

And assign the project to Pixar

#52 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

My mind says Legos, Selena Gomez, Jar-Jar Jr. and LL Cool J.

My heart says: I'll watch this movie regardless.

Because that's totally what they've done with The Avengers and Iron Man 3.

#53 Posted by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

Did they buy Lucasarts also, or just Lucasfilm?

#54 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

Reboot the whole franchise, The Star Wars.

Lets do this, and have that one movie cover all 6 films.

A collaboration of Darren Aronofsky and Nicolas Winding Refn. They would make a great Disney movie, right?

#55 Posted by Devil240Z (3364 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Devil240Z: Stupid and profitable

I wonder if kids would be smarter and more mature if they weren't so heavily targeted by advertising and entertainment. It would probably be better for their parents wallets too.

#56 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -
@Dallas_Raines

@Metal_Mills said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Disney has a WAY better track record these last twenty years than George Lucas has. I'll take them anyday.

Pirates. John Carter. Tron, yeah...not really.

Pirates 1 and Tron Legacy are both considerably more entertaining than the prequels. Hell, I'd say John Carter is easily better than Episode 1 and 2.

Pirates 1 is great and I enjoyed Tron but John Carter... Lets not get crazy
#57 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines: You tell me, I haven't watched either of those. I'm not into Super Hero fiction. :/

#58 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Draxyle said:

Well the whole franchise can't possibly get any worse anyhow.. can it?

Uhhhh....

#59 Posted by Fobwashed (2074 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

Did they buy Lucasarts also, or just Lucasfilm?

LucasArts' parent company is LucasFilm so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Disney owns both now.

#60 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -
#61 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Dallas_Raines

@Metal_Mills said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Disney has a WAY better track record these last twenty years than George Lucas has. I'll take them anyday.

Pirates 1 and Tron Legacy are both considerably more entertaining than the prequels. Hell, I'd say John Carter is easily better than Episode 1 and 2.

The dude and the lady were both really, really pretty and I liked the part where he jumps real high.

#62 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Dallas_Raines

@Metal_Mills said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

John Carter was a terrible movie.

#63 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Well, at least Red Letter Media will have some more material.

#64 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts is about to get a lot weirder.

#65 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

Now Disney has Marvel AND LucasArts? Kingdom Hearts 3 better have insane levels.

#66 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3310 posts) -

Should be mediocre. 

#67 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

@Dallas_Raines: You tell me, I haven't watched either of those. I'm not into Super Hero fiction. :/

I'm saying Disney didn't dramatically change the 'course' of the Marvel film franchise after acquiring them. The films look to be getting darker, not lighter. Although, I would want them to seriously alter the course of Star Wars.

#68 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Hey now, Tron Legacy is the best music video I've ever seen.

#69 Posted by dethmunky (24 posts) -

I was worried at first when Disney bought Marvel, but I think they've done well with it. I wonder if this could mean a Star Wars/Avengers cross-over. Hmmm....

#70 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

Well, this could mean that Star Wars can now be available to a whole slew of new directors and creative people. I'm sure Simon Pegg is jumping for joy.

#71 Posted by CatsAkimbo (626 posts) -

Does this mean Disney is going to be making all the new Star Wars games now? What'll happen to Star Wars 1313?

#72 Posted by jsnyder82 (734 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

That's like, six movies. And the first Pirates movies was very well received.

#73 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Disney also owns Indiana Jones now.

#74 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Who owns Disney?

#75 Posted by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

@Funkydupe said:

I'm saying Disney didn't dramatically change the 'course' of the Marvel film franchise after acquiring them. The films look to be getting darker, not lighter. Although, I would want them to seriously alter the course of Star Wars.

That's really the only thing I would worry about, the Star Wars EU gets pretty dark past episode 6, I would love to see a movie based on Dark Empire although it would have been much better if they had done it 20 years ago with the original cast.

#76 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Oh god what, really?

Well I can't blame them, Star Wars will continue to make money, so why not?

#77 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5479 posts) -

@Devil240Z: Oh yeah advertisement is definitely one of the primary methods of socialization in this country and kids' obsession with material goods and services (i.e. music/movies) not only fuels the economy but also fuels their own stupidity and passivity toward the capitalist system. Obviously its necessary to create consumers young it would just be nice if it wasn't done in such a disgusting fashion (McDonald's being the biggest punching bag here), but I guess technically parents can choose what their kids watch and ingest for some portion of their lives; even if peer pressure is going to be the determining factor in the long run.

Self Actualization is becoming more and more of a myth.

#78 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Disney owns the film rights to Grim Fandango.

That is all I'm saying.

#79 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

The real question is, does 20th Century Fox still get distribution rights? It would be VERY odd seeing a Star Wars film without that fanfare.

#80 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

I want more Star Wars. I'm not cured by the three newer movies. I just want something with more identity. I'm just curious how they could reboot it or tell the stories from different perspectives. I'd prefer an entirely new approach sort of like what BioWare attempted to do by entering the Old Republic era, though they somehow failed with their MMO part they did make up a lot of new stuff, perhaps Disney can do the same and create a new following.

#81 Posted by jsnyder82 (734 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Who owns Disney?

The Walt DIsney Corporation. That's where it ends.

#82 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

This can only be a good thing because George Lucas has turned into a poor filmmaker and businessman.

#83 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

Johnny V to pen and star in Episode 7.

#84 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

Haha, and the saga of Star Wars trolling it's "original fanbase" keeps on going. Love it! (No sarcasm!)

#85 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@august said:

Johnny V to pen and star in Episode 7.

but will there be any Jeff Bridges?

#86 Posted by jsnyder82 (734 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

This can only be a good thing because George Lucas has turned into a poor filmmaker and businessman.

I dunno. He's a poor filmmaker, but he's a great businessman. He's got buttloads of money.

#87 Posted by Zidd (1846 posts) -

Hopefully Disney can release the real versions of the original trilogy.

#88 Posted by altairre (1192 posts) -

What the flying fuck? Where did that come from all the sudden. I will say nothing against a good SW film but that will certainly be a challenge.

#89 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

@JasonR86 said:

I dunno. He's a poor filmmaker, but he's a great businessman. He's got buttloads of money.

He's been making terrible decisions lately. Remember the Blu-Ray nonsense?

#90 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

@Funkydupe said:

Who owns Disney?

The Walt DIsney Corporation. That's where it ends.

Follow the money.

#91 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

Holy shit this is actually true.

#92 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Oh boy! (read in Mickey Mouse voice)

#93 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

"Let's beat this horse until money stops coming out!"

#94 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

That's going to take a good long while.

#95 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@Zidd said:

Hopefully Disney can release the real versions of the original trilogy.

Well, they'd basically be printing money by doing so. No doubt a 2015 release if it were to happen.

#96 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Listening to the call now... HOLY SHIT!

#97 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

I'm torn. Anyone but Lucas is great. But really where the hell can they go with this? Not the Thrawn or Dark Empire stuff, all the original actors are too old. Where do they go with it? What do they do? Han Solos kids maybe? I'm nor worried about the quality of acting content or the director but more of the story.

#98 Edited by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Wow, I feel like this thread got to 100 posts in record time. People really do still care about Star Wars. Even if (when) Episode VII is awful, most of us are probably still going to see it...

#99 Posted by kpaadet (410 posts) -

@flindip said:

The real question is, does 20th Century Fox still get distribution rights? It would be VERY odd seeing a Star Wars film without that fanfare.

You are totally right, it will also be very weird to see a stupid ass Disney logo before every Star Wars movie.

#100 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Huh. Well it'll be interesting to see what they do with the license. It's hard to have much opinion over it considering the average fan has zero influence over this whatsoever.