Disregarding Taste: A Weekly Blog About Blogs (First Edition)

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ververdan0226

Disregarding Taste: A Weekly Blog About Blogs  

Hello, my name is Nick... er, ververdan0226. I have come to you blog about blogs, a community spotlight of sorts. If you like it, tell me, if you don't, tell me as well. I'm not sure if I'm doing a shitty job or if I'm missing good blogs, so if you can give me any feedback or comments on this endeavor, that would be very much appreciated. Any similarities to The Community Spotlight Redux is entirely incidental. Without further ado, a wall of text... 

Topic of the Week - PAX!

Not many submissions, or any (it's all good), but I found some recaps and murmurings about PAX amongst the sea of blogs. Not much at all, but enough for me to pimp here in this section of the spotlight.    

A recap of PAX from Hailinel.

A vlog from user DrDemon.  

Some, ughhh..... ruminations from AgentJ:

DAY 1                                                                                                                                                        DAY 2 

DAY 3

Gaming Corner (On GiantBomb, Whuda Thunk It?)

Lies, Lies. Actually he writes a pretty good blog on videogame storytelling, whether or not you agree with him.  

Everybody loves the Dreamcast. Right?? Of course. Well, it turns 10 soon.  finalkross offers up his retrospective.

mracoon blogs about 365 games to play before you die. He'll never make it. 

Remember that contest to go to Gearbox and play Borderlands?? No. Let me remind you. Either way, I'm pretty sure this guy likes Borderlands. He went to Gearbox. I can't wait for it. 

Nobody's playing Section 8, do don't play it. Regardless, here are AndrewG009's impressions of the demo

Hmm, nice post on Final Fantasy VII Mr. vidiot. And long

I suppose it could be good. Darkest of Days demo impressions from user calidan777

Addiction is a tough motherfucker. Thanks for sharing JacobForrest

Some people played Champions Online this week. Character customization is crazy! But here are some  video impressions from user Matt (how original) and written ones from user Jimbo_N

What exactly is a Monster Closet?  Rasgueado brings up an interesting point of discussion.

Oh, are they JazzyJeff

ArbitraryWater played an old game. And he does so fairly regularly. And even blogs about it. Check it out. 

In an age of DLC, value is becoming very skewed in the gaming market. What is fair? What isn't? Fosssil weighs in with his argument

Remember the Atari? LinksOcarina publishes an old blog he wrote on the Atari company.

Like a more technical side to your games? Check out the blogs of Mr. warxsnake.

I like bread. So does Br3adfan. And as far as what I played this week blogs go, his ones are pretty good. Check 'em out.

Movie Corner  

Oldboy. Staccato sentences. A great film. Symphony gives his own analysis.  

No, Delta_Ass, you're a shitty individual.  

No smart comment. Just reviews of Ponyo and Adventureland from RHCPfan24.

Kill it, kill the Nazi. Though he is rather Handsome. And Dead... Just like Nazism. You know who I'm talking about.

Music Corner

Bruce blogs about music. And he does it damn well. Check out everything he writes here.  

Jimbo_N makes a list of top videogame tracks. See if you agree with him. 

PART 1                                                                                                                                               PART 2

PART 3                                                                                                                                               PART 4

Cultural Corner

Everybody loves Batman and what with the addition of Arkham Asylum to the pantheon of great games, not just great licensed games, and The Dark Knight to the landscape of our cinematic mind, Batman is a fitting topic. stanhigareda blogs about his life with Batman

Nope. No they aren't Sweep

Delta_Ass doesn't like this tipping business. Deal with it. Motherfucker... 

Yep, that's certainly America. Thank you Moeez. 

Woah, hold on there Haus. Wait, what's that? Everybody's already posted in artofwar420's topic on religion in  America?

Oh You Blog, Do You?  

Check out the typically awesome blogs of these magnificent individuals. You make sure to read every damn thing they write!

Dalai                                                                                                Sweep (everybody loves Sweep!) 

Video_Game_King                                                                       TrueEnglishGent (truly) 

LinksOcarina (even though they're old, they're good)

* I will add more in the future.

Until next time, I leave you with this. 

Or this, whatever suits your own personal tastes better.

Both amazing in their own special ways!

TOPIC FOR NEXT WEEK  

Anything related to The Beatles, how they influenced your growing up as an example, or how The Beatles Rock Band makes you feel. Also, I have two topics this week. For the other one I ask you to blog about anything related to the Dreamcast, a retrospective if you will (like the one featured in this blog. Happy Blogging (or not)! 

NOTE: You can probably expect less blogs per spotlight blog as the weeks progress. Also, what do you guys think about the format?

NOW BLOG GOD DAMNIT!!!!

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ververdan0226

Disregarding Taste: A Weekly Blog About Blogs  

Hello, my name is Nick... er, ververdan0226. I have come to you blog about blogs, a community spotlight of sorts. If you like it, tell me, if you don't, tell me as well. I'm not sure if I'm doing a shitty job or if I'm missing good blogs, so if you can give me any feedback or comments on this endeavor, that would be very much appreciated. Any similarities to The Community Spotlight Redux is entirely incidental. Without further ado, a wall of text... 

Topic of the Week - PAX!

Not many submissions, or any (it's all good), but I found some recaps and murmurings about PAX amongst the sea of blogs. Not much at all, but enough for me to pimp here in this section of the spotlight.    

A recap of PAX from Hailinel.

A vlog from user DrDemon.  

Some, ughhh..... ruminations from AgentJ:

DAY 1                                                                                                                                                        DAY 2 

DAY 3

Gaming Corner (On GiantBomb, Whuda Thunk It?)

Lies, Lies. Actually he writes a pretty good blog on videogame storytelling, whether or not you agree with him.  

Everybody loves the Dreamcast. Right?? Of course. Well, it turns 10 soon.  finalkross offers up his retrospective.

mracoon blogs about 365 games to play before you die. He'll never make it. 

Remember that contest to go to Gearbox and play Borderlands?? No. Let me remind you. Either way, I'm pretty sure this guy likes Borderlands. He went to Gearbox. I can't wait for it. 

Nobody's playing Section 8, do don't play it. Regardless, here are AndrewG009's impressions of the demo

Hmm, nice post on Final Fantasy VII Mr. vidiot. And long

I suppose it could be good. Darkest of Days demo impressions from user calidan777

Addiction is a tough motherfucker. Thanks for sharing JacobForrest

Some people played Champions Online this week. Character customization is crazy! But here are some  video impressions from user Matt (how original) and written ones from user Jimbo_N

What exactly is a Monster Closet?  Rasgueado brings up an interesting point of discussion.

Oh, are they JazzyJeff

ArbitraryWater played an old game. And he does so fairly regularly. And even blogs about it. Check it out. 

In an age of DLC, value is becoming very skewed in the gaming market. What is fair? What isn't? Fosssil weighs in with his argument

Remember the Atari? LinksOcarina publishes an old blog he wrote on the Atari company.

Like a more technical side to your games? Check out the blogs of Mr. warxsnake.

I like bread. So does Br3adfan. And as far as what I played this week blogs go, his ones are pretty good. Check 'em out.

Movie Corner  

Oldboy. Staccato sentences. A great film. Symphony gives his own analysis.  

No, Delta_Ass, you're a shitty individual.  

No smart comment. Just reviews of Ponyo and Adventureland from RHCPfan24.

Kill it, kill the Nazi. Though he is rather Handsome. And Dead... Just like Nazism. You know who I'm talking about.

Music Corner

Bruce blogs about music. And he does it damn well. Check out everything he writes here.  

Jimbo_N makes a list of top videogame tracks. See if you agree with him. 

PART 1                                                                                                                                               PART 2

PART 3                                                                                                                                               PART 4

Cultural Corner

Everybody loves Batman and what with the addition of Arkham Asylum to the pantheon of great games, not just great licensed games, and The Dark Knight to the landscape of our cinematic mind, Batman is a fitting topic. stanhigareda blogs about his life with Batman

Nope. No they aren't Sweep

Delta_Ass doesn't like this tipping business. Deal with it. Motherfucker... 

Yep, that's certainly America. Thank you Moeez. 

Woah, hold on there Haus. Wait, what's that? Everybody's already posted in artofwar420's topic on religion in  America?

Oh You Blog, Do You?  

Check out the typically awesome blogs of these magnificent individuals. You make sure to read every damn thing they write!

Dalai                                                                                                Sweep (everybody loves Sweep!) 

Video_Game_King                                                                       TrueEnglishGent (truly) 

LinksOcarina (even though they're old, they're good)

* I will add more in the future.

Until next time, I leave you with this. 

Or this, whatever suits your own personal tastes better.

Both amazing in their own special ways!

TOPIC FOR NEXT WEEK  

Anything related to The Beatles, how they influenced your growing up as an example, or how The Beatles Rock Band makes you feel. Also, I have two topics this week. For the other one I ask you to blog about anything related to the Dreamcast, a retrospective if you will (like the one featured in this blog. Happy Blogging (or not)! 

NOTE: You can probably expect less blogs per spotlight blog as the weeks progress. Also, what do you guys think about the format?

NOW BLOG GOD DAMNIT!!!!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yay, I was featured! And blog I shall! And this time, about something people might actually care about.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Damn, I need to bring back the Ice Cube Dev Blog so that I could possibly get featured on your next list. I just haven't had the proper amount of time to dedicate to it since school started back.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I blog semi-regularly about old games that I have played, sort of like VGK. You should feature me.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ververdan0226
@ArbitraryWater said:
" I blog semi-regularly about old games that I have played, sort of like VGK. You should feature me. "
Oops. I actually meant to, but forgot. Will update the blog now.
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By NukeSpoon

You should feature my blog about the train tickets.

Even though it's weeks old.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By mracoon

Wow, nice blog. Thanks for mentioning me.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Well well...it seems I have competition....

Naw just Kidding, More People Need get Involved in this Community
Naw just Kidding, More People Need get Involved in this Community
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ververdan0226
@NukeSpoon said:
" You should feature my blog about the train tickets.  Even though it's weeks old. "
I've been debating whether or not to add a "Couldn't find a category" category in the future for blogs like your train one. Seeing it now for the first time convince me I might in the next one. And remember people, if you ever feel like your blog deserves to be spotlighted, please, PLEASE, PM me about it in the future.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Systech

Eh-hem...

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

Thanks for the mention, man. I am doing pretty much a weekly, bi-weekly movie wrap-up blog with reviews. 

I do like this idea, even if ZombiePie is getting jealous. :P  But all these featured blogs are great.

And you did miss one:

@systech said:

" Eh-hem...

"
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By breadfan

Good job making this, it should catch on. Hope you keep them coming. 

I'll try to write something on the Beatles, mos likely on how their music has impacted my life rather than relating it to the Beatles Rock Band.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

Oh man, that dog video.

LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14  Edited By LinksOcarina

I'm honestly surprised my own blog is on there....considering ive been on this site for a week at this point.

That's progress if you ask me! Although I doubt I will be features much, since my stuff is video game industry related, be it history, problems with the industry, topics like sexuality, racism, fair journalism, graphic cards, etc. Little on reviews of games in the blogs.

If you do add a section like that though....;);). Seriously, some good stuff in here, and I will definitely be on the lookout for this.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Well done. Keep this going and you'll probably get more people to start blogging regularly.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Coltonio7
@systech said:

" Eh-hem...

"
WHO COULD FORGET!?
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By Lies
@Coltonio7 said:

" @systech said:

" Eh-hem...

"
WHO COULD FORGET!? "
I like all the Abbey Road imagery despite the fact that they're charging for it as DLC instead of including it on the disc.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Systech
@Lies: Because people are crazy, and they'll pay for it.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ververdan0226

Update the blog to include this passage: "Like a more technical side to your games? Check out the blogs of Mr. warxsnake."

And this one:  "Kill it, kill the Nazi. Though he is rather Handsome. And Dead... Just like Nazism. You know who I'm talking about."

And finally:  "I like bread. So does Br3adfan. And as far as what I played this week blogs go, his ones are pretty good. Check 'em out. "

Not gonna make a habit of editing it like this, but I though first time viewers of the blog might like those.  :)  And I'm trying to bump it to get viewed more without looking like a douche.  :(

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ververdan0226 said:
" Update the blog to include this passage: "Like a more technical side to your games? Check out the blogs of Mr. warxsnake."

And this one:  "Kill it, kill the Nazi. Though he is rather Handsome. And Dead... Just like Nazism. You know who I'm talking about."

And finally:  "I like bread. So does Br3adfan. And as far as what I played this week blogs go, his ones are pretty good. Check 'em out. "  Not gonna make a habit of editing it like this, but I though first time viewers of the blog might like those.  :)  And I'm trying to bump it to get viewed more without looking like a douche.  :( "
For some reason, I can't click those links. I've tried others, and these are the only ones that don't work.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Red12b

@ververdan0226:
Very well done man, I like the way you have done it, I thought that it was just going to be the topic that you chose each week, But the way that the layout is is much better than I thought it would be Kudos.

Two Questions,  
Are you going to edit this like the community Spotlight Redux or just make a new Blog, As I reckon the former would be your best bet, And you don't have to re-write the whole thing, Also you can add Blog Genres? (If you get what I mean) 
How long are you going to keep content on there, I suggest either until the User makes another Blog on the same topic, or after either one or two weeks, 

Suggestion to a Mod, Can you sticky this like the Community spotlight. 

Once again Bro, Excellent work!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By penguindust

I like the idea, but I'm not sure about some of the titles you've given the links.  I'm thinking of these three specifically since I'd didn't immediately know what the subject was about from your recap unlike the majority of the others. (1) No, Delta_Ass, you're a shitty individual.  (2) Oh, are they JazzyJeff? (3)  Nope. No they aren't Sweep

Other than that, pretty good.  I'm eager to see how if this continues.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ververdan0226
@Video_Game_King said:
" @ververdan0226 said:
" Update the blog to include this passage: "Like a more technical side to your games? Check out the blogs of Mr. warxsnake."

And finally:  "I like bread. So does Br3adfan. And as far as what I played this week blogs go, his ones are pretty good. Check 'em out. "  Not gonna make a habit of editing it like this, but I though first time viewers of the blog might like those.  :)  And I'm trying to bump it to get viewed more without looking like a douche.  :( "
For some reason, I can't click those links. I've tried others, and these are the only ones that don't work. "
Maybe it's because I copy and pasted them?? I think that's what I did.... so that's probably why. Or not. I don't know.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ververdan0226: 

That may be it. After all, I've had problems copying and pasting linked words before.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ververdan0226
@Red12b said:
"        

@ververdan0226:
Very well done man, I like the way you have done it, I thought that it was just going to be the topic that you chose each week, But the way that the layout is is much better than I thought it would be Kudos.

Two Questions,  
Are you going to edit this like the community Spotlight Redux or just make a new Blog, As I reckon the former would be your best bet, And you don't have to re-write the whole thing, Also you can add Blog Genres? (If you get what I mean) 
How long are you going to keep content on there, I suggest either until the User makes another Blog on the same topic, or after either one or two weeks, 

Suggestion to a Mod, Can you sticky this like the Community spotlight. 

Once again Bro, Excellent work!

"
Actually the latter. The one complaint I have about the Redux is that once the blog is stickied, it can be only edited. Meaning that when you edit it, all the information you wrote about previously and the links you made are gone. I don't necessarily know if I want that. In fact my eyes usually glaze over the stickied topics, meaning that I often forget to check the Redux on a weekly basis and then that info from the site is gone forever. 

Though if they do sticky it and I'm forced to edit it, I might just transfer the entries from the edited blog on to another a blog and not link it to the forums. That way I'll never forget or lose any blog that I've put an hour or two into.

Hope that explains things.  :)
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
@RHCPfan24 said:

I do like this idea, even if ZombiePie is getting jealous. :P  But all these featured blogs are great.

Stop spreading lies you dirty liar.

@ververdan0226 said:
The one complaint I have about the Redux is that once the blog is stickied, it can be only edited. Meaning that when you edit it, all the information you wrote about previously and the links you made are gone. I don't necessarily know if I want that. In fact my eyes usually glaze over the stickied topics, meaning that I often forget to check the Redux on a weekly basis and then that info from the site is gone forever.   Though if they do sticky it and I'm forced to edit it, I might just transfer the entries from the edited blog on to another a blog and not link it to the forums. That way I'll never forget or lose any blog that I've put an hour or two into.  Hope that explains things.  :) "
What works for me probably won't work for you seeing how this is going to have multiple editions. I say keep it in this format, and I'll give you a special tab on the Spotlight. But do get in contact with a mod or mods, they always will provide you with some unbiased constructive criticism.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Everybody loves me!?! Maybe that's why I have all these sexually transmitted diseases?

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ververdan0226

Aww, thanks man.  :)  And I will, definitely. Interested to hear what they say. Maybe I'll try and get in contact with Jeff or Ryan or something like that, see what they think as well. Cheers.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JokerClown88

I wish my Pepsi review was featured.  Granted I only wrote it like 10 minutes ago, but still... *sad face*
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ververdan0226
@JokerClown88 said:
" I wish my Pepsi review was featured.  Granted I only wrote it like 10 minutes ago, but still... *sad face* "
Maybe next week?!?
Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By The_Philosopher

This is a great idea. Keep up the good work man!
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By teptom

This makes me want to get off my ass and actually write a blog. 

Good Idea and Good Job!

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JokerClown88
@ververdan0226 said:
" @JokerClown88 said:
" I wish my Pepsi review was featured.  Granted I only wrote it like 10 minutes ago, but still... *sad face* "
Maybe next week?!? "

:D