• 125 results
#1 Edited by ArthurSunderland (36 posts) -

Hey guys! Well, I don't know if there is anything like this in the forums, so I decided to create I topic so we can share our experiences.

As a big horror games fan, I just LOVE to feel that tension and fear this kind of games can bring to us, making us enter in a strange world that has a danger waiting for you in almost every corner...
So, I decided to create a thread where we could all share our experiences with these games, posting how it happened and, if possible, with a video of that scene in the game. To make things even more interesting, if you happen to have an experience that shocked you in any way with a non-horror game, post it too! I think it will be pretty funny and we all get to see if other people almost shat bricks in that moment you thought you would too! Hope you all like, it's the first thread I creat here on GB!

Let me start it...

It doesn't look so terrible in the video, but believe me, I almost broke my controller when I threw it at the wall when this happened. I think Fatal Frame 2 is one of those games that most made me feel like there was someone grabbing into my guts and not letting go until the very end of the game.

Your turn now, guys! (:
#2 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3248 posts) -

In Silent Hill 2, the stairway beneath the Silent Hill Historical Society made me feel really uneasy.

#3 Posted by broqz (115 posts) -
@birdflu7speaking of silent hill, how about the pyramid head rapes manaquin leg thing scene?
#4 Posted by cabelhigh (247 posts) -

The entirety of Amnesia: the Dark Descent. From beginning to end. All of that game is profoundly disturbing.

#5 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

The tunnels in RFOM. I knew I was going to get attacked, but I never knew when or where. It was especially nerve-wracking wondering if I was going to get attacked while running on the tubes, because I didn't want to get knocked off. Also the house in the swamp in Resistance 2 was pretty bad, mostly because I hated aggroing the giant fucking goliath behind the house that would like level it if he noticed me. And the parts involving those swimming things were pretty nerve-wracking too, because whenever I fell in the water I knew I was dead, but I had to watch them swim over and jump on me.

#6 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

All of Condemned was pretty unnerving. 

#7 Posted by Milkman (17342 posts) -

I can't wait for Kessler and Steve to play some of these.

#8 Posted by The_Nubster (2361 posts) -

The majority of the first Condemned game. One of those games I made sure only to play at night and loud.

I remember creeping through the Subway level, terrified the whole time. All I could hear was coughs and footsteps, and every time I bumped into anything I jumped. The goal the whole time was to get to the store, and when I finally got there, I could only think "Oh thank the good lord, a shopping center can't be that scary." 

And then. . . mannequins. . .

#9 Posted by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -

How about in Demon's Souls when you force that woman to commit suicide in a pool of aborted fetuses?

Condemned 2 has a good one in the abandoned hotel level, when a junkie tries to stab your with a hypodermic.  That shit was real-world scary--no ghosts or zombies, but a used fucking needle that some giggling tweaker is trying to jab into my face.

#10 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
@The_Nubster said:
The majority of the first Condemned game. One of those games I made sure only to play at night and loud.

I remember creeping through the Subway level, terrified the whole time. All I could hear was coughs and footsteps, and every time I bumped into anything I jumped. The goal the whole time was to get to the store, and when I finally got there, I could only think "Oh thank the good lord, a shopping center can't be that scary." 

Yeah.  I remember walking past one that I assumed wasn't a guy and into a small room with nothing in it.  I turn around to leave and he's right in my face ready to kill me.  Mannequins will never be the same.
#11 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

@cabelhigh said:

The entirety of Amnesia: the Dark Descent. From beginning to end. All of that game is profoundly disturbing.

This. Amnesia is the most disturbing/crazy/mindfuck game I've ever played.

#12 Posted by The_Nubster (2361 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:
@The_Nubster said:

Yeah.  I remember walking past one that I assumed wasn't a guy and into a small room with nothing in it.  I turn around to leave and he's right in my face ready to kill me.  Mannequins will never be the same.
Ugh, I'm sacred of mannequins to begin with (the uncanny valley, invoked in real life with baby dolls or ventriloquist dummies), so the moment I saw the first mannequins I could feel the blood drain from my face. It was torture in a way not many games can ever achieve.
#13 Edited by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I have to put my hand up for Condemned 2 also; countless times when I was sitting in a dark room playing it and I basically shit myself. The whole game was unnerving and gave off that feel of fear and paranoia. Even when the big bear crashed through the walls disturbed me a little, but other parts were more disturbing. So yeah, the whole bloody game!

Also, Haunting Ground was pretty disturbing at times, especially when Debilitas gets his groove on... which reminds me, I haven't even finished it yet, but damn it's a good and underrated game.

#14 Posted by Devilb0y (131 posts) -

The mannequin room in Silent Hill 2 where the legs moved as your torch light flickered off of them, and then that one mannequin just screams and it's head falls off.

And the fact that there is nothing else in that room. The developers just put it there to fuck with you.

#15 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

@ArthurSunderland:

Weird, i thought i was the only 4pp fan on this site, but it's cool to be proven wrong!

One really disturbing moment i can remember was the quake 4 transformation sequence, it was really graphic for the time and it made my dorm mate throw up which was awesome.

#16 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -

The first Fatal Frame. My friend told me to play and she wouldn't play it for me and I think I screamed a couple times. About 90 minutes in, I was to scared to continue. I gave up. The controls were bad also so it was a nightmare playing that game. I will never finish that game.

#17 Posted by Stonyman65 (2874 posts) -

pretty much anything in the Silent Hill series, the stroller on the beach in GTA 4....

#18 Posted by Surkov (990 posts) -

I really have to play Silent HIll 2. Can't wait for the collection. 

#19 Edited by Bulby33 (618 posts) -

It has been said before but I agree: all of Amnesia is disturbing as fuck. I could only play it for an hour or less at a time.  

#20 Posted by NTM (7549 posts) -

Not saying that the game as a whole is, but Crysis 2's voice acting and glitches is quite disturbing. Eek!

#21 Edited by Jeust (10863 posts) -

Seeing the video in the Silent Hill Hotel, in Silent Hill 2. Knowning, just knowing what went down... 

The sequence that introduced the final battle in Deadly Premonition. It was shockingly sad. 

Resident Evil 3, the first time Nemesis goes after you. 

Silent Hill 4, the last level, with the music of Akira Yamaoka, makes it both disturbing and incredibly sad.  

The first level of Sanitarium...

#22 Posted by Warp (102 posts) -

It probably doesn't hold up today but I still remember being terrified of the game Out of This World on the SNES. Especially the opening which in the space of about 2 minutes throws 3 potentially fatal traps/monsters without giving any clue as to how to beat them. Its something you never see in modern games where a game will just fling you into a situation without instructions or a clear objective and just expects you to figure out how to survive.   

Here is the first few minutes of the game: 

And heres all the different ways you can screw up: 

Absolutely nerve wracking for a 7 year old. 
#23 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@Milkman said:

I can't wait for Kessler and Steve to play some of these.

is it wrong for me to want to hear Kessler scream? 
#24 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -
#25 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1838 posts) -

One of the most disturbing moments in any game for me is in The Suffering: Ties That Bind. There's a moment a couple of hours into the game where you're going through an apartment building. You walk into a room literally seconds after a guy commits suicide by shooting himself in the head with a shotgun. The dude's face is an empty, blood-squirting crater except for one of his eyeballs still attached to the stem sticking out. I always found that to be a very profoundly graphic and unsettling scene.

What I also found really disturbing was in Silent Hill Homecoming, where you watch your mother get pulled in half by a machine, and not too much later, your father get bisected by Pyramid Head.

#26 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Maybe being attacked by hoards of aborted fetuses with razor hands in Dante's Inferno.

#27 Posted by JohnTheGamer (343 posts) -

Well the first thing that pops into my mind are scenes of suicide. I remember The Thing and Vanquish, but I know I've seen it in more games.

#28 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

scary things in resident evil games. heavy rain is disturbing stuff in there, taking kids.

#29 Posted by Evilsbane (4749 posts) -

A little off the Horror game track here but it stuck out to me just because it was such a "big thing" at the time I thought the No Russian level in MW2 wasn't as crazy in context your undercover you have no choice not to say what was done wasn't brutal but it just didn't resonate, I thought sliding down a rock face grabbing an American soldier and slitting his throat will watching his eyes twitch and the life drain out of them was WAY WAY worse (I thought it looked really good to, To good aka Disturbing) In fact I restarted the level and had my buddy watch it with me and when you point that out it actually was a bit crazy but maybe that is just me, but it looked cool.

#30 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

eternal darkness really messes with your head, can't tell when the game is fucking with you or when something terrible has actually happened. loved that game.

#31 Edited by ArthurSunderland (36 posts) -
@cabelhigh: Oh, HELL YES. I didn't finish it yet, but I can say that pretty much everytime I click on the game's icon in my desktop, I can feel a cold chill down my spine. Now imagine while I'm playing. Seriously, that shit is fucking intense and insane. I think I'm in the middle of it, in the sewers part, just after the dungeons... the bricks that I shat during this level could totally build an entire house, LOL.

I also remember playing Silent Hill 2 and the whole mannequins raping scene featuring Pyramid Head was quite disturbing. Almost all the Silent Hill games have their fair share of disturbing moments, and although I was tense during almost all my playthroughs in those games, there were some points that were REALLY disturbing. Like in Silent Hill 3, pretty much the entire chapel level was almost unbearable to me at the time; in the first game, of the series, the Midwich level (and the rest of the game) made me feel like a baby lost in the middle of nowhere, crying and screaming for help; SH4's apartment made me NOT want to go there to save my game sometimes just because I was too afraid to do so; Origins's Cedar Grove was pretty intense too, those invisible monsters were a real pain in the ass; in SH HC, the whole hotel level was quite scary for me (yeah, I like SHHC, even though almost everyone else I know hate it). Shattered Memories didn't scare me or made me nervous, just frustrated (the story is great, though).

In case you're wondering, yeah, I'm a Silent Hill fanboy and I get all excited when someone mentions it.

Well, I'm happy you guys liked this thread, it's the first one I created here! Keep sharing your experiences. =D
#32 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Siren Blood Curse, most of what i've seen so far....

#33 Posted by Aetheldod (3737 posts) -

Silent Hill one the first time you go to the nightmare world and you dont have any weapons yet and yo are attacked by the hord of baby monster , and you cant do anything about it , that really the only time I've been scared by a videogame , but man was it effective. @ArthurSunderland: Nope you are not the only one :D

And yeah I also felt "uneasy: with the "No Russians" level in MW2

#34 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

I don't think it's much to ask for some users to use spoiler warnings. C'mon, guys. Not everybody has gotten around to finishing SH2 or Resi 3.

#35 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

I can't think of anything more distressing than the fortuneteller from Dark Cloud.

Watch at your own risk:

#36 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2620 posts) -

There's this dude in Fallout New Vegas named Cook-cook who rapes people and burn them alive. In one of the quests there is a note that says Cook-Cook forced two little girls watch him set a little boy on fire.  

That had me quite disturbed.

#37 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I have a friend who thinks dolls are really freaky, so when he reached the scene in Condemned where you're surrounded by a ton of mannequins in the blink of an eye he apparently freaked out and turned off his xbox for like two days

#38 Posted by Capum15 (5002 posts) -

Halo: Combat Evolved -Level 6, "343 Guilty Spark". Starting chapter "Well Enough Alone", creeping through the swamp, then descending into that haunting underground prison, leading into "The Flood" was...just ...fuck. That would sum up the feeling. The parts with no enemies were the worst. Just...silence, occasionally broken by squishing noises or that damned music...then you watch your Captain and a bunch of marines overwhelmed...

...and then they come for you. They pour out from everywhere, and don't stop. You kill and kill and kill, and they just keep coming. Their only goal is to kill you. The floors are covered with infection forms, while larger ones smash you with blade-whip-arms and others explode, spilling more of those little bastards. You will use up your ammo and they'll still be coming. Going through the end of 343 Guilty Spark and then throughout The Library is probably one of the most physically exhausting moments in any game I've played. The Flood were the most disturbing and creepy things I've ever fought, and they're still high in the list (though less of an impact due to familiarity at this point). Also, there is one single moment in "The Maw", that is one of the most taxing fights I can recall. Engineering Bay, you go into a room where two Sentinals are fighting some infection forms. You kill them all. Then the Flood come from a hallway. And then they don't stop. You're literally shooting for what feels like ten minutes straight just praying that they stop. Eventually, half dead and out of ammo, you step out of that room where the bodies are so thick you can barely see the floor, and everything else is covered in blood. But you're alive. And god damn are you alive.

The Flood levels in Halo 2 were almost of equal stress levels, but managing to go through them without alerting any flood (cloaking, running, hiding, cloaking, etc) was satisfying. The graphical and mechanical upgrades they got in Halo 3 were also incredibly horrifying, especially with that "real-time flood creation" thing, like when you run into that first Marine in Halo 3 who gets infected...you can see those fleshy bulbs appearing...the skin turns that sickly yellow/tan and the only thing that looks like a human is the build. And then they stand up and try to kill you. It's similar to zombies - terrifying due to their insatiable drive, the drive to do nothing but try to kill you and infect you.

TL;DR - The Flood from Halo are horrible. But kinda awesome.

A few others worth mentioning - Fallout 3, large parts but especially Andale. Half Life 2 - motherfucking Ravenholm. Fuck that place. Silent Hill 2 was pretty creepy as well. I'm sure there's a few more but I can't recall them at this moment.

#39 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

this was the best one ever.... cant believe im posting this first

#40 Posted by TheCerealKillz (14 posts) -

In Demon Souls when you realized that you had broken 5 controllers.

#41 Posted by apoptosis61 (568 posts) -

eternal darskness  

fucking up your head

#42 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -
#43 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

Heavy Rain had several in my opinion

#44 Posted by JoeyRavn (4984 posts) -

Leandra in Dragon Age II. For being a very lackluster game, IMO, *that* scene was quite disturbing.

#45 Posted by Tacoboy1986 (143 posts) -

I remember many moments in Doom getting to me. Specifically when you are confronted by two Barons of Hell in the Phobos Anomaly level. 

#46 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1772 posts) -

I thought Majora's Mask was disturbing as a kid. Also LSD is pretty fucked up.

#47 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

Scarecrow segments in Batman, those things are crazy

#48 Posted by EpicBenjamin (633 posts) -

A Thousand Cuts from Kane & Lynch 2.

#49 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

Amnesia: basically everything in it.
Heavy Rain: the sex scene because it was akward
DNF: the hive level

#50 Posted by cabelhigh (247 posts) -
@ArthurSunderland: Yeah one video I wanted to post (but couldn't find) is I think in the sewers, where you've got to turn on the water and you can just hear some crying and crying. By  the time you've filled up the water, the crying's stopped, and you've realized that you've inadvertently killed someone. Fucked up!