Django, was I the only one who thought of Red Dead?

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legion_

Finally got around to watching Django Unchained yesterday. Man, that movie was fucking awesome. Anyway, after a while this song started to play:

As a big fan of all things Rockstar, I immediately recognized the theme song from Red Dead Revolver, which goes a little something like this:

Did anyone else think of Red Dead Revolver when that song kicked in during Django?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gaff

Personally, I thought of the slew of thrashy blaxploitation / spaghetti westerns of the 60s and 70s, but, yeah, there's a bit of a resemblance there.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By frankfartmouth

It's the same song. Comes from a movie called "His Name Was King."

I didn't remember it being in Red Dead Revolver though. Good ear.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikeGosot

I don't think that song was made for Red Dead Revolver, but just another classic soundtrack from a western movie. And trust me, i know a lot about RDRevolver.

Also, i need to say this to someone: WTF WAS GOING ON IN DJANGO WHEN THEY GO TO MISSISSIPI!? Holy shit, that was so bad.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By John1912

I feel like the only person who didnt like Django. Well, I should prob say I was largely completely indifferent to it. It was just meh....

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Nilazz

Huh, who knew? You knew! That's who!

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OfficeGamer

Damn nice find

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Tylea002

I KNEW HIM WELLLLLLLLLL

Rockstar and Tarantino both crip heavily from exploitation movies for inspiration and soundtrack, so yeah, this ain't surprising at all.

drsalvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By drsalvador

Yeah but weirdly enough it wasn't the soundtrack that sparked a connection in my mind, it was the big red font they used in the opening credits, it looked almost identical to Redemption.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Legion_

@frankfartmouth said:

It's the same song. Comes from a movie called "His Name Was King."

I didn't remember it being in Red Dead Revolver though. Good ear.

Much obliged.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It's almost like Westerns are based on a very similar archetype!

MisterWaingro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By MisterWaingro

@MikeGosot said:

Also, i need to say this to someone: WTF WAS GOING ON IN DJANGO WHEN THEY GO TO MISSISSIPI!? Holy shit, that was so bad.

It's called slavery!

Zycamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zycamore

RDR gave me an itch for a good/stylized western.

Django fucking raked that itch.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Subjugation

Django is part of what makes Giant Bomb function, not some silly movie. Y'all need to have another swig more often.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaMisterChief

Man im going to kill 4 hours watching The Good The Bad and The Ugly now.

arjybarjy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By arjybarjy

The gunfight reminded me of the end of a Hotline Miami level.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Legion_

@MisterWaingro said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's called slavery!

This part from Mississippi is PURDY AWESOME.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeGosot

@Legion_ said:

@MisterWaingro said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's called slavery!

Oh, i was talking about when they go to Mississipi, the whole "Yo, they did some stuff now they're on Mississipi" thing. It was just text, it was so... Ugh. It made me feel like the movie was an edited version of a TV show. The rest was pretty good. Also, i loved the original Django talking to Jamie Foxx.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

@MikeGosot said:

@Legion_ said:

@MisterWaingro said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's called slavery!

Oh, i was talking about when they go to Mississipi, the whole "Yo, they did some stuff now they're on Mississipi" thing. It was just text, it was so... Ugh. It made me feel like the movie was an edited version of a TV show. The rest was pretty good. Also, i loved the original Django talking to Jamie Foxx.

From what I hear, they had shot about two movies worth of footage but instead of doing the Kill Bill thing they just kept what they needed and discarded the rest, made one movie. Inglourious Basterds was going to be a mini series at some point which also explains why the Basterds themselves barely appear in the film.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Legion_

@MikeGosot said:

@Legion_ said:

@MisterWaingro said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's called slavery!

Oh man, but that was awesome! I had the biggest grin ever when that text showed up. Tarantino is a mad genius.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeGosot

@MikkaQ: I think going Kill Bill and making a mini-series out of the Basterds would be the best options. Django was pretty cool and pacing was it's only problem, and i really, REALLY disliked Basterds, mainly because it was booooring so i would be interested in seeing how a mini-series would be. I thought the "text in Mississipi" happened because, if i'm not mistaken, there's a new guy editing Tarantino movies, and i thought he was experimenting and shit like that.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikeGosot

@Legion_ said:

Oh man, but that was awesome! I had the biggest grin ever when that text showed up. Tarantino is a mad genius.

I was like "Holy shit dude! DON'T DO THAT! IT'S A MOVIE YOU CAN SHOW STUFF TO US!", but hey different opinions, right?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By gaminghooligan

@MikeGosot said:

@MikkaQ: I think going Kill Bill and making a mini-series out of the Basterds would be the best options. Django was pretty cool and pacing was it's only problem, and i really, REALLY disliked Basterds, mainly because it was booooring so i would be interested in seeing how a mini-series would be. I thought the "text in Mississipi" happened because, if i'm not mistaken, there's a new guy editing Tarantino movies, and i thought he was experimenting and shit like that.

It's Fred Raskin. He was AE on the Kill Bill movies. Also Basterds was boring, it had great moments in it and I still like the movie, but everything with the theater was a snooze fest.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24  Edited By ShadowMoses900

It certainly did to me. Especially the scenery, though the story line is totally different. Good movie, but I still think Quentin Tarantino is overrated.