#1 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

I played and very much enjoyed Final Fantasy 8 when I was a kid, recently for whatever reason I bought and played Evoland. Since playing that game I've had a weird re-ignition of the desire to play a loot grabbin' turn-based havin' RPG but I am having a hard time figuring out if any even exist under my specific tastes.

I guess that's a Bat man and not a cat man... but that's DEFINITELY some crazy Guppy Fish man in the back there! Do these guys have to be in all these types of games?

My tastes include... NOT enjoying most Japanese turn based games, the genre seems dominated by these ones and I'd rather not play one with cat people having an anime time venturing into the fantasy realms and dragons and magics and stuffs, having anime problems or whatever. I realize that actually cuts most games off the table in fact, iunno why I don't get existed about magic but for whatever reason I don't, it's weird and feels like mumbo jumbo to me (I'm fuckin' young too, not some old dude who is shaking a stick at fancy spell animations but I sure feel like one when talking about this). I also prefer the game be available on PC cause that's what I'm using to play games these days, and I don't own a portable system of any kind. At most I'd buy a game on my x360 if it looked like one that hits the right tone, but I really heavily weight towards a PC version if possible.

Do any of these turn based RPG games exist? I know Microsoft put some money into them for the xbox with lost odyssey and blue dragon even though they were all hilariously anime themselves. Is it even possible to make a game with the most of the mechanics of a JRPG but removed from the visual styles of those games? I dislike top down/isometric versions of these games, I think there are a few that I looked at that were this way. I'd prefer a third person 3d one if possible. I think it's crazy that an ultimately kinda dumb game, Evoland, has me wanting to find what seems to not exist in games right now.

Because of this sudden and violent lust for this sort of game I actually grabbed the one that seemed the most recent and the least annoying, which is The Last Remnant. Whoo boy this isn't exactly what I'm looking for and man oh man is that main character kid (Rush Sykes... what a name right? ) really dumb in the head, hah. But what is better? It seems well received as these games go and has some of the mechanics I think I'm enjoying... heck I've put like 8-12 hours into the dang game and have started ignoring the story and character junk just cause the mechanics are satisfying to me!!! I'm scared.

Am I out of my mind nutzo? Is this just a weird hole in gaming that no one gives a shit about? Or is there some cool gem of a game that may appeal to me.

#2 Edited by BisonHero (6391 posts) -

It's weird, but very few Westerners have ever made RPGs with a JRPG-style battle system, and the non-top-down-isometric viewpoint you prefer. If they do, it's as homage, such as Evoland, Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World.

Not to oversimplify your post, but could your break down your tastes/preferences into like a bullet point list? It's a little hard to come to terms with exactly the features you want/don't want.

The biggest issue is that because the WRPG/JRPG split happened so long ago (interpreted tabletop RPGs very differently), and they existed in such different markets (JRPG devs on consoles, WRPG on PCs) that they've never felt the need to steal good ideas from each other. WRPGs only seem to be turn-based when they are also a tactics game (with some manner of grid) like XCOM, Heroes of Might & Magic, Banner Saga, Hero Academy, etc. Maybe I'm blanking on this, but it is incredibly rare for a Western RPG to be turn-based without also being a tactics game.

#3 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

I think you're going to have to be a bit more open-minded if you actually want to play anything resembling what you're looking for. There are quite a few JRPGs I can think of that aren't overly anime, but a 3rd person turn based JRPG with no anime influence and no fantasy elements is going to be a very difficult thing to find. Last Remnant and Blue Dragon aren't particularly good JRPGs though, if those are the type of games that are making you so narrow-minded.

I suppose you could try the Penny Arcade games.

#5 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The old school JRPG is dead.

#6 Posted by Zeik (2334 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I don't think he's asking for just new games. Although that's not even true anyway.

#7 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@zeik said:

@mcghee said:

I don't think he's asking for just new games. Although that's not even true anyway.

It IS true. There are exceptions, like the soon to be Persona 5 and such games being released on handhelds. But the age of great, turn based JRPGs on consoles is just over. Go back to the tons of amazing RPGs on the PS1 then compare it to today. It's not even close.

#8 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

@mcghee: And yet I've played like 3 or 4 old-school JRPGs just this year, with more to come.

They aren't as big as they used to be, obviously, but they're quite far from "dead".

#9 Edited by BisonHero (6391 posts) -

@zeik said:

I suppose you could try the Penny Arcade games.

Yeah, the first 2 episodes of that are like the only thing that actually fits the description he is looking for, since every other Westerner-developed JRPG (work with me here) is basically one of the homages I listed earlier. And even episode 3 and 4 of the Penny Arcade game became the thing he doesn't like, in that they're made by the Cthulhu Saves the World guys and are in an old-school, top-down, RPGMaker kinda look.

I think part of the issue is that just now are we getting to the point that the generation of Western gamers who grew up on FF7-9 are old enough to be entering the game dev industry. Everyone from before that either: A) prefers D&D/Western RPGs, or B) prefers FF6 and Chrono Trigger to the PS1-era JRPGs, and is making Cthulhu Saves the World or Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden. But even for this generation that likes FF7/FF8, many of them have "grown out" of liking those games (look at how dismissive the Bombcast is of them), and even if they aren't, JRPGs are a terrible business plan compared to the boom of the late 90s/early 2000s, so it only makes sense as a weird niche project like the Penny Arcade games, or Evoland.

#10 Edited by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

One game that's often overlooked, which I enjoyed, is Mr. Robot.

#11 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

One game that's often overlooked, which I enjoyed, is Mr. Robot.

Hah, that game looks neat. Maybe a bit too heavy on the platforming for my tastes but rad!

@bisonhero said:

Not to oversimplify your post, but could your break down your tastes/preferences into like a bullet point list? It's a little hard to come to terms with exactly the features you want/don't want.

It's difficult because I don't know myself exactly why I'm so deeply pulled towards the genre, if I had to make a quick decision about it I'd say I pretty much am into most of the mechanics and the only thing that really turns me off is just the style wrapped around those mechanics. I never played the early Zelda games, yea I know my early gaming life sucked compared to how it could have been, and because of that I really have zero nostalgia for Zelda or top down games of that nature, though I do very much enough thick ass modern pixel art and that means most nostalgic top down pixel games at least get a longing sigh from me as I look at their pretty screenshots. When I think back to playing FF8 I very much loved how cinematic it could be and I was so inexperienced with games of it's kind, both cartoon or anime styled, or even JRPGs in general that I kinda didn't mind at all any of it and it just became a great game to me and something that stood by itself on it's own. Now I can't help but lump any of the JRPGs together as looking pretty much the same, and being so iterative in their look at tone. These days I'd say the cultural style I gravitate towards most is Eastern Block, it meshes well with my weird desire to work and grind in video games (I was powerfully driven towards Mortal Online and it's ability to let you CHOP WOOD... though I'm not crazy and I stopped after a few hours, hah). I enjoy that light fantasy setting where it's just before the addition of dragons and magic but has enough medieval drudgery and general tedious work progression that I can breathe in the thick chunky atmosphere and 'lore'. Shit you asked for a bullet-point list...

I'm not as into the tactics, I played XCOM but I'm pretty sure that's as far as I'd wanna go in that direction, I'm not very good and I ended up save scumming my way through almost immediately... :( No one died.

I think the over-world and 3d elements are important, having towns and shops. Frankly the less epic and grand the better... but that's an overall issue I have with games, I'd love more stories that don't seem to revolve around being chosen or saving someone or the world from 'evil'. I've saved the world so many times and every bad guy just looks the same usually now, real conflicts that don't involve those epic things can actually be way more interesting if you have the patience for it (which I do) and real human drama exceeds a battle with a dragon if done equally well. Again though, I KNOW that doesn't exist in games really so it's not very realistic... I'm already asking for what seems impossible anyways with basically a JRPG framework made with none 'J' themes and styles. From what I'd seen/heard of banner saga and basically those tactics games you mention, they are ALL about the combat. I think very much that I desire the whole framework of overworld, leveling, items, progression of power via those items. Party members too really, since they are a form of items you acquire to add to your progression and sense of accomplishment Last Remnant is lame in that it doesn't seem to allow me to manage their gear :( WUT are they good for if not things I can put shiny gear on! Sheesh.

@zeik said:

There are quite a few JRPGs I can think of that aren't overly anime...

...I suppose you could try the Penny Arcade games.

Which games are those that have lighter anime? I've most likely heard of them but shrugged them off, I'd be likely to check them out though if I knew going in they were maybe my best options, like I said I have put in a decent chunk of time into Last Remnant simply because it seemed like my best option based on my own research (not very deep research, things like boxart turned me off of most of the jrpgs! Arg, so dismissive!)

Also I wanna say I'm sorry if my overuse of the term anime offends anyone, it's just the seemingly best way to quickly describe the style that I'm referring too. I know there's variants and depth within what I consider to be the umbrella of Anime, and I'm not 100% turned off by it like some robot, it's just a general preference. I own the penny arcade episode 3 and played the first few hours, I wasn't feeling the dramatic lust for jrpg then but just the basics seemed to interest me along with it seeming like a decently crafted game, I lost interest though and haven't even thought of it since then though. Also there is a LOT of text in that game, and like 1% of it made me chuckle slightly while the rest either flew over my head or was just wall-of-text 'ing my face so hard I found it difficult to even track what was happening. :( I'm dumb

@bisonhero said:

I think part of the issue is that just now are we getting to the point that the generation of Western gamers who grew up on FF7-9 are old enough to be entering the game dev industry. Everyone from before that either: A) prefers D&D/Western RPGs, or B) prefers FF6 and Chrono Trigger to the PS1-era JRPGs, and is making Cthulhu Saves the World or Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden. But even for this generation that likes FF7/FF8, many of them have "grown out" of liking those games (look at how dismissive the Bombcast is of them), and even if they aren't, JRPGs are a terrible business plan compared to the boom of the late 90s/early 2000s, so it only makes sense as a weird niche project like the Penny Arcade games, or Evoland.

So basically what I'm hearing is that I should make this game myself cause it's incredibly niche. Boy I wish I had talent! :)

Your guys' responses are super rad, I don't often post on the forums and you guys made me feel really good.

#12 Edited by StarvingGamer (8123 posts) -

Have you played any of the Suikoden games? Those are significantly more focused on human conflict and less on crazy mythological world swallowing monsters. 1, 2 and 5 are the best IMO, but are isometric. 3 and 4 are 3rd person IIRC. 3 has the most interesting mechanics as well, but is the most "anime" out of the bunch.

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

Well, it's not exactly 'modern' (2001), but maybe you'll enjoy Anachronox? Also, it's not strictly turn-based; it's active-time like Chrono Trigger (ie. you wait a certain amount of time before your turn).

#14 Edited by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Well, if they are western then they aren't JRPG, right? Right?

#15 Edited by Flacracker (1638 posts) -

Anachronox.

#16 Edited by Liquidus (946 posts) -

I feel like Persona 4, and Persona 3 to a lesser extent, is always the cure for someone who can't get into any modern JRPGs. Seriously, I know it's not a western game but check out the Persona games, they renewed my faith in the genre.

#17 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Just yesterday I started Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 for the first time.

Iiiiiiiiiiit's GREAT!

#18 Edited by believer258 (11771 posts) -

@liquidus said:

I feel like Persona 4, and Persona 3 to a lesser extent, is always the cure for someone who can't get into any modern JRPGs. Seriously, I know it's not a western game but check out the Persona games, they renewed my faith in the genre.

He said he's looking to get away from anime. I wouldn't suggest the Persona games to someone looking to get away from anime tropes, though a fair number of people who don't enjoy anime have enjoyed the Persona games. Maybe try them out.

Though, if it is pure mechanics that you enjoy, and you don't want any of that story stuff getting in the way, then try another Shin Megami Tensei game - Nocturne. Yes, it's a PS2 game, and yes, it's a JRPG, but it's honestly the best thing I can think of for you to try it. There are no 3D Western turn-based RPG's, only a few 2D ones that pay homage to old JRPG's. And even if you don't like this game's story (which there isn't a ton of, and there definitely aren't any whiners), you've got plenty of turn-based JRPG mechanics to keep you busy.

#19 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I don't know, Half-Minute Hero? Personas and Penny Arcade were my first thoughts, but have already been mentioned.

#20 Posted by Veektarius (4741 posts) -

Anachronox.

That's the only thing that came to mind for me too. Only problem is, I played that game ten years ago and the graphics were distractingly bad then. If I understood what the OP was asking for (which wasn't easy to do), then no, it doesn't really exist. JRPG mechanics are a way for people who aren't particularly good at games to kill time and absorb a Japanese story. In general, when attempting to achieve this goal, Western developers made use of adventure game mechanics instead of RPG ones.

#21 Posted by hermes (1394 posts) -
#22 Edited by Chaser324 (6389 posts) -

@hermes said:

This is actually the best example I can think of because it feels like it comes by its JRPG nature much more honestly. It doesn't feel like it's done with tongue firmly in cheek the way those Zeboyd games (Breath of Death, Cthulu Saves the World, PA Ep 3) do.

#23 Posted by mosespippy (4095 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@zeik said:

@mcghee said:

It IS true. There are exceptions, like the soon to be Persona 5 and such games being released on handhelds. But the age of great, turn based JRPGs on consoles is just over. Go back to the tons of amazing RPGs on the PS1 then compare it to today. It's not even close.

You never said the old school JRPG on consoles is dead. You said the old school JRPG is dead; which is completely false.

#24 Posted by Lelcar (598 posts) -
#25 Edited by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

I think Septerra Core might be halfway towards what you're looking for. I think I probably have more fondness for that game than most, though. Maybe more than it deserves. It's definitely got a dose of anime in it, but it was developed in America. It's also from 1999, so it's not super modern either.

#26 Posted by BisonHero (6391 posts) -

Oh man, also, whenever it actually comes out, South Park: The Stick of Truth actually sort of fits what you're looking for, weirdly enough. Similar to the Penny Arcade game and Costume Quest, it is another example of a Western developer going out of their way to pretty much make a big ol' JRPG. Also, here's that Penny Arcade game we keep mentioning:

The combat is very Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger in terms of different characters having different speeds at which they take their turns, and also you can press a button to block attacks to help reduce the damage you take in fights. There is no movement control in fights, and I think you always go back to full health at the end of each fight, so there are no "inns" and you only using healing items midfight. There are a finite amount of enemies in each game, and they exist as visible groups on the map, so no random encounters and no grinding, which means the fights can actually be well balanced and challenging because they know the range of levels you're likely to have. It's probably a plus if you like Penny Arcade's art style, though it takes place in this weird 20s steampunkish universe and doesn't rely very heavily on Penny Arcade injokes.

I liked both Episode 1 and 2, though I'll admit that Episode 2 is very similar to the first one in terms of what abilities your characters get when they level up and what kinds of attacks and abilities the enemies and bosses have. The series got sorta canceled because very few people bought the 2nd episode, but got revived recently. Episode 3 and 4 (4 is not quite out yet) are made by a different developer and are more like an old-school Super Nintendo JRPG and have a top-down view.

#27 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

@djjoejoe: As someone mentioned earlier, I think Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is a good example of a game that might fit your criteria. It's not very anime at all, it has 3rd person exploration, and it has one of the better turn-based combat systems in a JRPG. It is PS2 exclusive, but if your computer is good enough you might be able to emulate it.

Another good example from the same franchise would be Digital Devil Saga. It has more story than Nocturne, which might make it more appealing, but it's also a two part game.

Also, it may not be quite what you're looking for, but I'm going to echo someone else's suggestion of Suikoden, specifically Suikoden 2, if only because it's my favorite RPG ever. Yeah, the artstyle is fairly anime. There's fantasy stuff like elves and dog races and some magic. It's isometric 2D, etc. However the story's focus on political warfare and some great characters separate it from traditional JRPG anime BS.

#28 Edited by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

I think Septerra Core might be halfway towards what you're looking for. I think I probably have more fondness for that game than most, though. Maybe more than it deserves. It's definitely got a dose of anime in it, but it was developed in America. It's also from 1999, so it's not super modern either.

Love Septerra Core. Although, it really does lean into the whole anime aesthetic. Anyway, the game's definitely worth checking out, even if only for the fascinating game world.

#30 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

@mcghee: There's a lot of genres they don't make like they used to. That's very different from "dead".

Now that I think about it, I've actually played more new JRPGs this year than any other genre.

#31 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@zeik said:

@mcghee: There's a lot of genres they don't make like they used to. That's very different from "dead".

Now that I think about it, I've actually played more new JRPGs this year than any other genre.

You can define "dead" however you like. From what I've seen, they are dead. I haven't played a JRPG I thought was any good since Lost Odyssey and Persona 5, two games from 2008. There will always be some being made. The market is big enough for it, but once again, it cannot be denied that the Golden Age of JRPGs is gone. But whatever, why the fuck do people want to argue with me over this? Go and enjoy your games. I don't care.

#33 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

Have you played any of the Suikoden games? Those are significantly more focused on human conflict and less on crazy mythological world swallowing monsters. 1, 2 and 5 are the best IMO, but are isometric. 3 and 4 are 3rd person IIRC. 3 has the most interesting mechanics as well, but is the most "anime" out of the bunch.

@zeik said:

Also, it may not be quite what you're looking for, but I'm going to echo someone else's suggestion of Suikoden, specifically Suikoden 2, if only because it's my favorite RPG ever. Yeah, the artstyle is fairly anime. There's fantasy stuff like elves and dog races and some magic. It's isometric 2D, etc. However the story's focus on political warfare and some great characters separate it from traditional JRPG anime BS.

Holy god those games are old, hard to even find, and mostly handheld games :(

You know I actually did look at that game when it released and wanted to play it but never got around to it, the talk about it being good on the various podcasts was something that kept it on my mind but I guess wasn't enough to push me over the edge and actually play it. I should at least give it another go and try and play it :) I like Double Fine, and good games, thanks for bringing it up.

Well, it's not exactly 'modern' (2001), but maybe you'll enjoy Anachronox? Also, it's not strictly turn-based; it's active-time like Chrono Trigger (ie. you wait a certain amount of time before your turn).

Anachronox.

Funny.

Hah, thank you for allowing me to see this image from that game's GoG page!

#34 Edited by StarvingGamer (8123 posts) -

@djjoejoe: Suikoden 1&2 are PSone games, 3-5 are PS2 games. Not handheld.

Yeah, they're not the easiest to find. At least 3 and 4 aren't too expensive on eBay. I'm actually shocked at how much 5 is, and 2 is the holy grail of hard-to-find PSone games.

Suikoden 1 is on PSN though so that should be easy enough.

#35 Edited by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@zeik said:

You can define "dead" however you like. From what I've seen, they are dead. I haven't played a JRPG I thought was any good since Lost Odyssey and Persona 5, two games from 2008. There will always be some being made. The market is big enough for it, but once again, it cannot be denied that the Golden Age of JRPGs is gone. But whatever, why the fuck do people want to argue with me over this? Go and enjoy your games. I don't care.

I'll absolutely deny that. There are plenty of good turn based JRPG games that are still turn based without being slow and plodding. Ni No Kuni, Resonance of Fate, Lost Odyssey,Eternal Sonata and both of the FFXIII games. This JRPG's are dead mentality comes off the same as an old bitter man telling people "How back in my day...."

Genres and game design evolve and there are still plenty of good JRPG games out there. If JRPG's were still the same old turn based games they were in the 90's the genre would be entirely stagnant and would be dead because it failed to evolve.

#36 Posted by Rayeth (1031 posts) -

Suikoden 1 on PSN is awesome. Suikoden 2 is on the Japanese PSN but not US cause whoever hates us =(

There exists a PSP re-make that had 1+2 on the same disc, and that is what was for the handhelds. Though I suppose almost everything in the PS Classics store runs on Vita now, lol.

Another turn based, old-school PS1-era RPG is Xenogears. Its on PSN right now as well. The combat is pretty unique with deathblows and button combos. The story is kinda sci-fi and fantasy together but does get pretty anime trope heavy by the end (but since that's about 70 hours away, you probably won't care by the time you get there).

#37 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

Suikoden 1 is on PSN though so that should be easy enough.

I just glanced at the franchise page on GB and saw a few handheld releases for psp and ds http://www.giantbomb.com/suikoden/3025-549/

Well I don't own a Playstation so unless there's some PSN emulation app on PC haha, though I really want to get a PS3 for The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls, prolly whatever cheap other games I can find also but honestly... just those 2 games and I'll most likely be busy with whichever of the 2 new consoles I buy at the end of the year to play Watch_Dogs on!

Waiting on a possible price drop for the PS3 though since they did release that new cheaper plastic-y one, so maybe that will be actually cheaper soon instead of the same dang price. I'd love to only have to pay less than $300 for something that would prolly only play a few games before I get busy on those newer consoles, and maybe only sticks around to play older games if I'm bored during the first year when there 'may' be some gems but often there's some long months with no real great games.

#38 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

There's no PSN emulation on the PC but there's certainly PS1 emulation.

Just sayin'.

#39 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I'll absolutely deny that. There are plenty of good turn based JRPG games that are still turn based without being slow and plodding. Ni No Kuni, Resonance of Fate, Lost Odyssey,Eternal Sonata and both of the FFXIII games. This JRPG's are dead mentality comes off the same as an old bitter man telling people "How back in my day...."

Genres and game design evolve and there are still plenty of good JRPG games out there. If JRPG's were still the same old turn based games they were in the 90's the genre would be entirely stagnant and would be dead because it failed to evolve.

I'm kind of sick of going around in circles on this, but I'll reply to you because I know you're not a crazy asshole. I am not a big fan of most of the evolved aspects of JRPGs. I see a lot of them as failed attempts to pander to Western audiences, like the FFXIII developer that tried to compare the game to Call of Duty. Although I actually liked the combat in FFXIII more than most of the games you listed, it was in other aspects that FFXIII ultimately was lacking. I had completely forgotten about Ni No Kuni and plan on playing it this summer. The JRPGs that are around have tried a lot of different things, but what I am looking for is an old-school feel because it hasn't been done much in the last 10 years on consoles. This is why I am looking forward to Persona 5 so much. Those games have their utterly unique aspect of the school/daily schedule but they have the old turn based combat. They mix new ideas with old well, where I think most of these games do not. So maybe I do sound like a bitter old man. So be it.

#40 Edited by Hailinel (24255 posts) -

Well, the first western-developed JRPG that sprang to my mind was The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which is both old and terrible.

#41 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

@mcghee: Fair enough. I just get irritated when people claim the genre is dead cause I've played plenty of games this generation that I've enjoyed. Also, I would have mentioned the Ateiler series but those games aren't exactly what a lot of people would want out of a JRPG. They are totally turn based no active time bars or anything but they are also based solely around the idea of alchemy instead of a "save the world" plot. There is also a lot of straight up anime tropey stuff going on all over the place so I'm hesitant to actually recommend them.

More to the point I think its just become a really niche genre now. They used to be huge during the SNES days and then on PS One once FFVII came state side. Shooters have kind of taken that place now of being the big "in" thing so outside of Final Fantasy that's why I think nobody really takes huge chances with JRPG games anymore. They just don't sell like they used to.

#42 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Well, the first western-developed JRPG that sprang to my mind was The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which is both old and terrible.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who remembers that game and the part where it was a bad attempt at being like a JRPG with characters basically acting as stand-ins for the cast of the movies. And at one point you fight the Balrog with your bro Gandalf, because why not? Man. Now I kinda want to track down a copy of that game and tear it a new one in blog form. I bet there would be plenty to write about. No. No. Final Fantasy XII first.

As someone who also likes a lot of concepts presented in classical-style JRPGs but really doesn't care for the oft accompanying melodramatic anime nonsense, I've still found plenty of games that deliver plenty of the former with a minimal amount of the latter. I'd personally recommend Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne if you want a traditionally-styled JRPG, but with more satan and less spiky haired bishonen. Also, aside from the aforementioned Lord of the Rings game, the western-developed games that directly try to imitate their Japanese counterparts that come to mind are Septerra Core, Silver, and Anachronox.

#43 Posted by Benny (1950 posts) -

How about the mario & luigi RPGs? As far as I know they're handheld games though, unless you're willing to work outside the law.

#44 Edited by ajamafalous (11929 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

@hailinel said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who remembers that game and the part where it was a bad attempt at being like a JRPG with characters basically acting as stand-ins for the cast of the movies. And at one point you fight the Balrog with your bro Gandalf, because why not? Man. Now I kinda want to track down a copy of that game and tear it a new one in blog form. I bet there would be plenty to write about. No. No. Final Fantasy XII first.

I actually really loved that game; it was fine for what it was trying to be. I'm pretty sure I beat it at least three or four times.

#45 Posted by goreyfantod (118 posts) -

@scrawnto: You're not alone. Septerra Core was fucking great.

#46 Posted by MiniPato (2727 posts) -

Why's it have to be western? Is this one of those things where people don't buy Japanese cars cause they want to support American manufacturers or something?

#47 Posted by Knochenkotzer (17 posts) -

Lord of the Rings: The third age comes to mind. Didn't really like it so I can't really recommend it but it fits the description I guess.