• 118 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by firstblood (2 posts) -

... what they are doing for a living? Most sheep in this world have to wear a suit from 9-5, pleasing an asshole boss until they turn 65. 
 
Do you think Brad & Jeff, or the rest of the GB crew know how lucky they are?

#2 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

Yes.

#3 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

Yes.

#4 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

Yes.

#5 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Yes.

#6 Posted by Mentalnova (139 posts) -

Nope

#7 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Yes.

#8 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -
@Mentalnova said:
Nope
CCCCCCCombo Breaker
#9 Posted by AlisterCat (5722 posts) -

Yes, they practically created their own jobs. That goes some way to showing it.

#10 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

#11 Edited by Kalivon (4 posts) -
@firstblood said:

pleasing an asshole boss until they turn 65. 
 

They used to work at gamespot. I think they both know all about asshole bosses.
 
*edit: In fact that's the reason why we're all here at giantbomb right now. Because of asshole bosses. Thank god for asshole bosses. Heh
#12 Posted by countinhallways (630 posts) -

*shrug*

#13 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Do they know that that they're my heroes?

#14 Posted by emergency (1190 posts) -

Yes.

#15 Posted by firstblood (2 posts) -
@Kalivon said:
@firstblood said:

pleasing an asshole boss until they turn 65. 
 

They used to work at gamespot. I think they both know all about asshole bosses.

not til their 65! they were on Gamespot for a few years
#16 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

@firstblood said:

@Kalivon said:
@firstblood said:

pleasing an asshole boss until they turn 65.

They used to work at gamespot. I think they both know all about asshole bosses.
not til their 65! they were on Gamespot for a few years

More like 11 years.

#17 Posted by Sawboss (95 posts) -

I wouldn't call them lucky, they earned it through hard work over the years and talent.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

Yes, but Ryan and Vinny are two ungrateful bastards.

#19 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Yes, they do.

Also, video game reviewing, not as great as you think. First of all, people constantly bitch about your scores. Second of all, you don't get to enjoy any one game hardly ever, certainly not like the rest of us who can pretty much take as much time as they want to play whatever. Third of all, there are a lot of shiiiiiiity games out there. Because of how GB is set up, they obviously deal with less of that, but there have been plenty of bad games they have had to play enough to review. I think of it the same way I think of the way people talk about the Air Force being the cushy branch to join. I mean sure, they won't likely find themselves sitting in a crudely dug hole for hours at a time waiting to get shot at, but generally speaking most jobs have plenty of shitty things you have to deal with. Even the Air Force, and even video game journalists.

#20 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:

Yes, they do.

Also, video game reviewing, not as great as you think. First of all, people constantly bitch about your scores. Second of all, you don't get to enjoy any one game hardly ever, certainly not like the rest of us who can pretty much take as much time as they want to play whatever. Third of all, there are a lot of shiiiiiiity games out there. Because of how GB is set up, they obviously deal with less of that, but there have been plenty of bad games they have had to play enough to review. I think of it the same way I think of the way people talk about the Air Force being the cushy branch to join. I mean sure, they won't likely find themselves sitting in a crudely dug hole for hours at a time waiting to get shot at, but generally speaking most jobs have plenty of shitty things you have to deal with. Even the Air Force, and even video game journalists.

Still better than a regular job.  
#21 Edited by Jazzycola (658 posts) -

@Kalivon said:

@firstblood said:

pleasing an asshole boss until they turn 65.

They used to work at gamespot. I think they both know all about asshole bosses. *edit: In fact that's the reason why we're all here at giantbomb right now. Because of asshole bosses. Thank god for asshole bosses. Heh

I wouldn't exactly call Greg Kasavin an asshole. He was editor-in-chief up until he left right before the Kane and Lynch debacle(which made him Jeff, Ryan's, and Brad's boss).

#22 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4806 posts) -

@Sawboss said:

I wouldn't call them lucky, they earned it through hard work over the years and talent.

Damn straight.

#23 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I think there are some people with a 9-5 job that act less depressed and are less cynical of the world than Jeff and Brad.

#24 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Meowshi: Not a well chosen career though. Which is exactly what they are doing. Yes, if you let yourself get stuck perpetually in a shitty cubicle job, you'll have a less satisfying and enjoyable job. But there are plenty of people out there that would rather have a military career, getting shot at and seeing friends die than take either a shitty cubicle job or a cushy video game journalist job. Jeff doesn't have a job, he has a career, it's different, and if you do it right, your career can be just as satisfying and engaging and enjoyable.

#25 Edited by washingmachine (103 posts) -

It's still a job with deadlines, specific practices and a required talent. All the guys at Giant Bomb are talented and have earned their credibility over the years. There's a reason why they are in the position they are in.

#26 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

They seem ungrateful and pessimistic, so no. 

#27 Posted by Kalivon (4 posts) -
@Jazzycola said:

@Kalivon said:

@firstblood said:

pleasing an asshole boss until they turn 65.

They used to work at gamespot. I think they both know all about asshole bosses. *edit: In fact that's the reason why we're all here at giantbomb right now. Because of asshole bosses. Thank god for asshole bosses. Heh

I wouldn't exactly call Greg Kasavin an asshole. He was editor-in-chief up until he left right before the Kane and Lynch debacle(which made him Jeff, Ryan's, and Brad's boss).

Sorry. You're right. Greg Kasavin is not an asshole. I like Greg Kasavin. By asshole bosses I was referring to the idiots that fired Jeff over the Kane and Lynch review. Greg Kasavin is awesome. Bastion is awesome. His Oblivion marathon way back then was awesome.
Greg Kasavin is what I'd call and AWESOME boss.
#28 Edited by mnzy (2925 posts) -

It's not like they won it in a lottery or something, they earned it. And there are safer and better paid jobs out there.

#29 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I don't think they get paid well.

#30 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

Why would sheep wear suits and why would they live to be 65?  And aren't they called "Shepherds", not "Bosses"?  I guess the guys at Ginat bomb are happy they are not sheep but still....very odd question.

#31 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Your right, they should just go on and on about how the industry is awesome and in fantastic shape and that no one ever fucks up and goes Orwellian on their employees or anything...................

You do know what journalists are supposed to do, don't you?

#32 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

Do you know how lucky you are living in a 1st world country?

#33 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?
Do they believe in a thing called love? 
#34 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:

@BestUsernameEver: Your right, they should just go on and on about how the industry is awesome and in fantastic shape and that no one ever fucks up and goes Orwellian on their employees or anything...................

You do know what journalists are supposed to do, don't you?

Ungrateful and pessimistic.  
Just, study those words, and stop trying to flame. 
#35 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
I don't think they get paid well.
Their main hobby is video games, and they get to write it all off on their taxes.   
 
I think they get paid a lot more than you think.
#36 Posted by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

They worked to get where they are and probably took some risk others would have not. Luck probably played some parts into it but still. Also as cool as it may seem, I couldn't handle their job.

#37 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

They aren't lucky, they got out and made it happen, and you better believe it was hell when they first started out to conquer their dream. Luck is important yeah, but it's much more important to have dedication. Jeff could have said after he got fired: "Fuck it, I'm done" But instead he made this awesome fuckin' site!

#38 Posted by xSuddenimpactx (11 posts) -

I think they feel lucky. But I think it was a combination of luck and hard work that got them to where they are. Like our mothers tell us when we are children, if you work really hard you can become anything! I've seen complete idiots finish Med School because of hard work. Not saying everyone can do anything though, because surprisingly, alot of people don't like hard work.

#39 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Meowshi: Not a well chosen career though. Which is exactly what they are doing. Yes, if you let yourself get stuck perpetually in a shitty cubicle job, you'll have a less satisfying and enjoyable job. But there are plenty of people out there that would rather have a military career, getting shot at and seeing friends die than take either a shitty cubicle job or a cushy video game journalist job. Jeff doesn't have a job, he has a career, it's different, and if you do it right, your career can be just as satisfying and engaging and enjoyable.

Right, but this applies to a very small portion of people, who are also very lucky. 
 
Most people have shit jobs that they hate.  
#40 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -
@AlisterCat: Well, Jeff did, and Brad signed on. Either way, yes I can imagine them feeling pretty lucky. That's what you get for working hard.
#41 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -
@Kalivon said:
@firstblood said:

pleasing an asshole boss until they turn 65. 
 

They used to work at gamespot. I think they both know all about asshole bosses.  *edit: In fact that's the reason why we're all here at giantbomb right now. Because of asshole bosses. Thank god for asshole bosses. Heh
What you said to Greg Kasavin?! I kill you! 
 
Does anybody actually know how much they get paid? I've been wondering about this matter for years.
#42 Posted by James_ex_machina (899 posts) -
@Meowshi
@MordeaniisChaos said:

Yes, they do.

Also, video game reviewing, not as great as you think. First of all, people constantly bitch about your scores. Second of all, you don't get to enjoy any one game hardly ever, certainly not like the rest of us who can pretty much take as much time as they want to play whatever. Third of all, there are a lot of shiiiiiiity games out there. Because of how GB is set up, they obviously deal with less of that, but there have been plenty of bad games they have had to play enough to review. I think of it the same way I think of the way people talk about the Air Force being the cushy branch to join. I mean sure, they won't likely find themselves sitting in a crudely dug hole for hours at a time waiting to get shot at, but generally speaking most jobs have plenty of shitty things you have to deal with. Even the Air Force, and even video game journalists.

Still better than a regular job.  
Not if you don't want to HAVE TO play all these games and go to trade shows and deal with the public. Just sayin'
#43 Posted by benson (318 posts) -

@Cheesebob said:

Do you know how lucky you are living in a 1st world country?

At least in 3rd world countries there's probably a lot less whining about videogames. Thinking about it now, it sounds pretty sweet. Somalia, here I come!

#44 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -
@firstblood: By the way, why do you only mention Brad and Jeff? It would be either the same, or better to use Jeff and Ryan 'cause those are the two that made this site. Adding Brad is just kind of random, so you should have added them all.
#45 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

To re-iterate my point: 
 
Mod, green-users with less than 10 posts, lock. 
 
Problem solved.
#46 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
To re-iterate my point:  Mod, green-users with less than 10 posts, lock.  Problem solved.
On a related note, do you think Jeff wears boxers or briefs?
#47 Posted by OtakuGamer (1285 posts) -

They didn't get to this position by doing nothing. They are talented journalists with a lot of experience in the field. If they sucked at doing what they do, do you think the money would still be on the table?

#48 Posted by Bobstar (320 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
@GetEveryone said:
To re-iterate my point:  Mod, green-users with less than 10 posts, lock.  Problem solved.
On a related note, do you think Jeff wears boxers or briefs?
Boxers.
#49 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@GetEveryone: I think you're on to something.

#50 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
@GetEveryone said:
To re-iterate my point:  Mod, green-users with less than 10 posts, lock.  Problem solved.
On a related note, do you think Jeff wears boxers or briefs?

*head explodes*