Do I go work for Cloud Imperium?

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kilroyandy

So.... this should probably be a Danswers question..

I live in Manchester and have a job I pretty much despise. RecentlyI came across an advert for jobs nearby for Cloud Imperium who are working on Star Citizen. The job is paid lower than what i'm on now but would be a great entry point into the industry, working with their customer service team to assist players.

Do I leave my job and take the leap for less money but get a job in the industry? I know it's not a creative role but still....

Help!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

If you do absolutely hate your job, yes. Be advised though that customer service is pretty much the worst.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By hassun

This is probably not the place for it but would you have to move for this job? Also do you have to quit your job to apply for the other job? Can't you just apply for it and then quit the other job if and when you're actually accepted? No need to take unnecessary risks.

As a general rule though: Never opt for the job you despise just because it earns you more money.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi:

I done those kind of jobs before, just not for games. Is it pretty bad?

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kilroyandy

@hassun:

No I wouldn't have to move and not even have to quit if I apply. Your right , money isn't everything!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Corevi

@kilroyandy: I hated it but I also have a very low tolerance for people who are ignorant and make absolutely no effort to not be. They want you to just magically fix things.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karkarov

@corevi:

I done those kind of jobs before, just not for games. Is it pretty bad?

They always are. That said if you really really hate your current job it isn't much of a risk. You just have to ask yourself if it is worth the money drop.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never had a customer service job before, but I've been backing and following Star Citizen for a couple of years now and can tell you that they most certainly do 'need' more CS people, I'd expect to deal with the Concierge level backers that have pledged <$1000. Chelsea and Alexis were basically the only two for awhile and have been backlogged with tickets for awhile now, bless their hearts. The UK branch, where they're focusing on the Squadron 42 aspect, seems to be a lot more low-key than the Santa Monica offices, but I don't work there so I can't say for certain, obviously. But Chris Roberts' brother, Erin, runs the UK offices, and was at the helm of Star Lancer while Digital Anvil was a thing, which was awesome. So there's that. It's also going to be a big year for their development, with lots of new stuff coming down the pipeline and the alpha of the actual persistent universe rolling out towards the end of the year, so I'd expect crunch times to be pretty frequent, if not constant. Maybe best time to show up if you're looking for an 'in' to the industry?

Dunno if that helps, but good luck with either decision you make :)

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go and apply , you loose nothing for the looks of it , maybe less cash but do you want to be happy?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

Maybe you should apply for the job and try to get an interview and see if they offer you a job before deciding on whether or not to quit your current one or not.

It's fun interviewing for jobs when you already have one. Try it out.

owen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So.... this should probably be a Danswers question..

I live in Manchester and have a job I pretty much despise. RecentlyI came across an advert for jobs nearby for Cloud Imperium who are working on Star Citizen. The job is paid lower than what i'm on now but would be a great entry point into the industry, working with their customer service team to assist players.

Do I leave my job and take the leap for less money but get a job in the industry? I know it's not a creative role but still....

Help!

what job ideally would you like to try and work your way towards. If your looking to move into dev, then id suggest applying for qa positions over there, think they are still hiring.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilroyandy: Generally, if you want to work in game development, yes.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might be a dead end unless you'll haveways of interfacing with devs etc. If they are available i would agree qa would be better way to get a foot in the doot. Haven't done it myself thoguh i applied for it before, but probably be prepared for it to be mind numbing.

But yeah, above all don't quit your current job yet. Personally seems like the game industry in any way shape or form is a rough field to get into now unless maybe you want to be an indie dev.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd take a run at it, nobody working at CIG seems to hate their job at least judging by video content.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I live in Manchester and have a job I pretty much despise."

Go for it.

DrFat32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least apply it is no use going through life saying "if only I had..." you will just become bitter and sad. Yes money is not everything but look at what you expect from the lifestyle you have and see if you had to cut back on some things whether you could deal with it.. If you have a passion for what you want to do then this will shine though to your new employer and you will progress to a better position quickly. Just apply yourself, be open to try anything and work hard and you can and will accomplish anything. Good luck.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funkydupe

At least apply it is no use going through life saying "if only I had..."

Definitely. Sometimes you just have to jump at chances. The next day they could be gone. Tons of stuff I regret not doing or at least attempt to do even if it meant 'rocking the boat' and risking something in the process.

Jetlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jetlag

Really sell yourself and then tell them you need them to match your current salary. The worst they'll say is no.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this discussion with some friends just this weekend. The most important thing when it comes to work is that you have at least some fun doing it. You most likely spend around 1/3rd of your life working. If you hate that part you probably won't be too happy. So if you hate your current job and can handle the loss of money ... go for it.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Maybe you should apply for the job and try to get an interview and see if they offer you a job before deciding on whether or not to quit your current one or not.

It's fun interviewing for jobs when you already have one. Try it out.

This, don't just assume you'll get this job. The job market is more competitve than ever.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilroyandy: What's your current job? How much of a pay cut is it? What would you like it to lead into? You said it'd be a first step into the industry, what's step two and step three? Do you want to end up as a developer? PR?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CIG reports two new CS hires in the UK.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@counterclockwork87: Yeah I have to echo this sentiment as well. Nothing in life is guaranteed so I would definitely go through the interview process and make sure it is a sure thing before throwing up the double birds and storming out of your old job. A shitty job is better than no job.