#1 Posted by SomberOwl (507 posts) -

I haven't played either Bioshock 1 or 2 and am wondering if I need, or should play them before Infinite comes out. I'm trying to not miss any big games this year and don't want to be left in the dark for Bioshock Infinite. Is this the sort of game where my experience will be enhanced if I have played the earlier games or a completely different world/story like the Far Cry games?.

What do you think? Should I bother taking the time to play 1 and 2, or catch up on some other games I've missed, like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 or Age of Empires 3.

#2 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1270 posts) -

Infinite takes place several decades earlier and has, as far as I know, no direct connection to Rapture or any of the characters from the original. So, that would be a no.

#3 Posted by YI_Orange (1071 posts) -

You don't have to, but you should probably play the first Bioshock anyway.

#4 Posted by Miketakon (512 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

Infinite takes place several decades earlier and has, as far as I know, no direct connection to Rapture or any of the characters from the original. So, that would be a no.

Ken Levine said there was some sort of a connection. So i'd just plat the first one.

#5 Edited by The_Tolman (424 posts) -

I mean, Bioshock was one of the best games on this generation of consoles.

Not counting the terrible final boss.

Its probably not needed to play Infinite but you should anyway. Bioshock 2 didn't do much for me though.

#6 Posted by fox01313 (5032 posts) -

Don't think you need to but definitely play Bioshock 1 anyway, such a great game that's well worth the time diving in it.

#7 Posted by Dalai (6877 posts) -

Just play the first one, connection or not.

#8 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Bioshock is a must play and the subtle thing of Ken Levine saying the religious go up into the clouds and the atheists go to the bottom of the sea must come into play at some point in Infinite

#9 Posted by Marcsman (2873 posts) -

@fox01313 said:

Don't think you need to but definitely play Bioshock 1 anyway, such a great game that's well worth the time diving in it.

I concur

#10 Posted by BlastProcessing (901 posts) -

No, but you should absolutely play BioShock regardless, one of the finest games this generation. BioShock 2 is also worth it.

#11 Posted by Maajin (1038 posts) -

Sure, I think it will make you appreciate Infinite more. Just keep in mind that Bioshock 2 wasn't made by the same people that made 1 and are making Infinite.

#12 Posted by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -

I'm playing 2 on PC just to remember the game mechanics

#13 Posted by squidraid (129 posts) -

Lol @ the timestamps in this thread with almost the same thing in every post.

PS: Have we mentioned you should really really play Bioshock yet? :D

#14 Posted by believer258 (11039 posts) -
@YI_Orange

You don't have to, but you should probably play the first Bioshock anyway.

...and the second as well, but make 1 a priority.
#15 Posted by ADAMWD (499 posts) -

Definitely play BioShock. Regardless of Infinite, it's a fantastic game, and one of my favorites all time. With the time rift stuff that Elizabeth can do in Infinite, there is certainly a potential for her to open a rift to Rapture at some point. At the least there will probably be some nods to BioShock here and there during Infinite.

#16 Posted by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

If Bioshock had the gameplay improvements of Bioshock 2 (mainly the ability to wield a plasmid and a weapon at the same time), it would be the best game ever created.

#17 Posted by rentfn (1267 posts) -

I have no idea if the stories will connect. Give BioShock a shot. It is a really fun game and I didn't mind the final fight as much as most people did. If you really enjoy BioShock give the second one a shot. It's not as good as the first. Maybe it wouldn't be the same playing them back to back. I really enjoyed the world BioShock created so it was fun for me to return to it after some time.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

If you're digging into history, I'd suggest you play System Shock 2 as well as Bio 1.

Bio 2 was made by a completely different team so I wouldn't consider it part of the Shock "canon." But I wouldn't make that stop you from playing it.

#19 Posted by SomberOwl (507 posts) -

I feel like the same person made 15 different accouts lol. Anyway I'm getting the vibe I should play 1 for sure, which is what I've always heard from people. I'm just trying to think how long it will take to complete, I don't want it to over shadow any new games coming out. Theres that Ultimate Rapture Edition coming out on the 14th and I was thinking of picking that up. Plus another thing is I'm really kind of fatigued on First person shooters.

How much of these games are shooty shooty? and

How long do you guys think it will take me to play through both getting relatively most of the reasonable achievements?

#20 Posted by Miketakon (512 posts) -

You don't really have to shoot. Plasmids (MAGIC!) and beating dudes with a wrench is more satisfying. You could get all the achievements in one play through if you really wanted.

#21 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I would definitely play through the first Bioshock. It was one of the only genuinely moody and suspenseful games, aside from Dead Space 1&2, that freaked me out this generation. Those Big Daddy boss fights really have a way of getting the blood pumping!

#22 Posted by Fredddi43 (287 posts) -

While no one really knows if there will be a connection, I also urge anyone to try the 1st Bioshock. It is a great and truly influential game, with an unforgettable story. I'm hoping for Infinite to do the same.

#23 Edited by Sean2206 (261 posts) -

There different from most other first person shooters, the first one is anyway and while I'm a defender of the sequel it is a lot more shooty shooty than Bioshock. Bioshock 1 you should get through fine based on the interesting world, story and characters and the new world and powers. By the time you get to 2 you might be a bit fatigued of the world, and the characters aren't as interesting but the story is arguably more personal and just as interesting. I'd say play both but not all at once because you will burn out before you get through 2 and as much as the original is a superior game, 2 is still good and still deserves to be played. The MP is also kind of fun if a bit under-populated.

In terms of time Bioshock I'd say is around 15 hours, maybe a little less for a main line aforethought Bioshock 2 is probably closer to 10 hours, maybe a bit more. So I'd say 25-30 hours to beat both,but I think you should play both they're both great games.

And in terms of links to infinite I'm sure there is no totally necessary references or plot points you need to know, but I'm sure there will be links or maybe some character origins in Infinite but either way you should play the first 2.

#24 Posted by Hunkulese (2526 posts) -

Bioshock 2 doesn't get the credit it deserves. Yes it's completely obvious they tried to shoe horn a new game into rapture after the success of the first game but it also has some great moments and is a lot more fun to actually play.

#25 Posted by morrelloman (601 posts) -

I never played the first bioshock. I think I should remedy that.

#26 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Personally....just play Dishonored...it's better.

#27 Edited by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

I'd play bioshock 1 at least. Finished it last year it its still amazing.

#28 Posted by Miketakon (512 posts) -

@jdh5153: Apples to Oranges.

#29 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

Others have said it already, but I'm going to chime in just to add more to the pile, because you truly need to experience the first two Bioshock games. They aren't necessary for continuity, but they are two of the better games of this generation and they are short enough that you could knock them out before Infinite arrives. Buy them cheap and dive in over a couple weekends. You will either be grateful you did this for yourself or you won't like them and then you won't waste $60 on Infinite (but let's face it, you're going to love them).

#30 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

I'd say no. Bioshock Infinite isn't really a Bioshock game. They share some similarities but they but Bioshock on the box because people know the name.

#31 Posted by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

Nah. Just play the first 1. The second one isn't canon.

#32 Posted by BlastProcessing (901 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

#33 Posted by camp7203 (121 posts) -

Play the first one if you feel like it. Or just play system shock 2.

#34 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

I would play the first game just because it's that good although it doesn't matter if you play it before or after Infinite since Infinite is in itself a prequel to it all.

#35 Posted by Master_Funk (723 posts) -

I feel that there has to be a connection between Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. Adding the name Bioshock can't just be a marketing ploy. So You should definetely play Bioshock before infinite.

#36 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2071 posts) -

I think there's going to atleast be a scene where Elizabeth opens a portal to Rapture, if only as a very short nod to the first Bioshock. 
I can also see there being a System Shock type one of these also.

#37 Posted by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Yeah, no. No. Go away.

#38 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

PLAY EM. Also if you wanted to get all the achievements in Bioshock that would take probably around 14 hours. (maybe more) Mainly because of the achievement that in order to get you can't die. (A lot of save and loading)

#39 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

Bioshock 1 is so good you'll brobably forget about anything coming out in 2013 anyway. The shooting is alright but you'll probably just end up using the same weapon/power combo for the whole game anyway :)

Exploring the world and listening to the audio logs is much more fun than killing splicers, and dying isn't really possible anyway unless you're going for one specific achievement. On a normal playthrough you'll get a good amount of achievements but if you want 700-800 points you'll need to do a couple specific things that aren't hard but that may take you off the normal route.

If you're tired of first person shooters I don't know why you want to play Bioshock Infinite anyway....

#40 Posted by Zrais (141 posts) -

You need to play Bioshock because you need to play Bioshock.

#41 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

@Master_Funk said:

I feel that there has to be a connection between Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. Adding the name Bioshock can't just be a marketing ploy. So You should definetely play Bioshock before infinite.

The connection is, essentially, the whole utopian world concept and imbuing political philosophies into the game. My understanding is that it's a sort of "game franchise, not the same story" sort of thing. I'm down for that.

#42 Posted by ohwiseone (74 posts) -

PLAY BIOSHOCK.

No seriously, it has one of the best "OH SHIT" moment's ever.

#43 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

In terms of story continuity, I'd say probably not. There might be some references to the previous games, though I haven't heard of any so far. I recommend playing the first BioShock as it's still an amazing game. It's still $20 on Amazon, PSN, XBLM, and Steam but goes on sale fairly often.

BioShock 2 isn't nearly as good as the first one, but it has its moments. Irrational didn't work on it though, so I doubt there's much in Infinite that directly references 2.

#44 Posted by Vrikk (836 posts) -

I just beat it. Yes. You should.

#45 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

Unless you're itching to play Infinite immediately, I don't see any reason not to go back to the others. The first one, at least. There are references to it, though they are not directly related. If you like crumbling dystopian societies and that sort of retro vibe, you'll love the first one (and probably the second, really -- even though that's not a Ken Levine joint). I'd play at least the first one and maybe Infinite will be on sale by the time you're ready for it?

#46 Edited by NoRemnants (378 posts) -

@vrikk: I beat it yesterday. It's not a requirement.

#47 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@adamwd said:

Definitely play BioShock. Regardless of Infinite, it's a fantastic game, and one of my favorites all time. With the time rift stuff that Elizabeth can do in Infinite, there is certainly a potential for her to open a rift to Rapture at some point. At the least there will probably be some nods to BioShock here and there during Infinite.

If you haven't played Infinite yet, don't read what I'm going to put in the spoiler:

I can't believe you called Elizabeth opening a tear into Rapture! Either you secretly work at Irrational or see the future!

#48 Posted by Vrikk (836 posts) -

@vrikk: I beat it yesterday. It's not a requirement.

It's not a requirement, but he should. There's a lot of small hints and references to things that will happen to Rapture that people will miss. For example, the whole "religious go to heaven, sinners go into the sea" (I'm paraphrasing a lot, of course).