Do Monthly Members Get Ads Removed as well?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I recently decided to disable ad block for giant bomb, as I wanted to maximize my contribution to the site (pay 5 bucks a month and also view ads). But for some reason I still don't see any ads, even when I completely disable ad block. So, what's the deal?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No they don't. But you do with ad block (as do free members). So if the only reason you're paying is to remove ads you wasted your money.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Premium subscriptions include access to premium content and the removal of ads on the website.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

@toxeia said:

Premium subscriptions include access to premium content and the removal of ads on the website.

That's not true. Only yearly members don't see ads.

EDIT: Unless they changed it within the last month or so? Confirmation, anyone?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jdh5153

@toxeia said:

That's not true. Only yearly members don't see ads.

EDIT: Unless they changed it within the last month or so? Confirmation, anyone?

It hasn't changed.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153: No, what I'm saying is that I'm a monthly member who has used ad block, but I want to disable it for giant bomb so they can actually get ad revenue from me. But after disabling ad block for giant bomb (and completely, to see if that would work) I still don't see ads. I didn't get the monthly membership to disable ads, I got it for premium content, and now I DO want to see ads

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: Try using a different browser to see if that works.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

@toxeia: I should mention that when I log out on chrome (my main browser) I see ads, but once I log in I don't, and I'm definitely only a monthly member (you can see by my silver medal thing on my picture). I just tried on firefox and the same thing happens; when I'm logged in no ads, when logged out ads. And I've never used ad block on firefox. So it's definitely something on their end that's causing this

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Toxeia

@jdh5153: Since you don't have premium, mind checking the information at https://auth.giantbomb.com/account/ to see if there's been a change to the ads for monthly members? I tried, but I can't even look at the benefits since I already pay.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jdh5153

@toxeia said:

@jdh5153: Since you don't have premium, mind checking the information at https://auth.giantbomb.com/account/ to see if there's been a change to the ads for monthly members? I tried, but I can't even look at the benefits since I already pay.

No Caption Provided

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RonGalaxy

@jdh5153: I'm fairly new to this site; it'll be a year in july when I first started visiting. I've grown from hating what this site has to offer, mostly because I didn't understand it (I'm used to places like IGN and Kotaku), to liking a few things they did (quick looks especially), to actively watching every piece of exclusive content it has to offer (sans the dump truck) and participating in the community (I have more than 70 posts. For some reason, it got reset when the new site came along).

I care and support what this site is trying to accomplish. They're the most genuine voice the industry they are apart of has (game journalism, game criticism game talk, etc). So to show my appreciation, I want to do whatever I can to keep the giant bomb dream alive. If that means paying 5 bucks a month (60 dollars a year) and giving them ad revenue, I will do it. It seems like the best monetary contribution currently available to give.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy

@toxeia: I've paid too, so I can't see it either

edit:@jdh5153 has got our back ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They always said that ad removal was for yearly members only, but monthly members always reported that they were ad-free too, presumably as the result of some kind of bug. This may have changed with the new site launch, but I don't know.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jdh5153 said:

@toxeia said:

I already answered your question. Monthly members do not get ads removed.

You know, premium members (monthly or yearly) can also log out to see the promo page?

Anyway, I checked it out, this is the wording on the promo page:

No Caption Provided

As you can see, the "No ads" part is clearly under the yearly membership part, though "What premium members" is a bit unclear which kind of premium members. Slight mistake? Maybe.

Also, I would like to point out that Silver members support the guys more than those filthy Gold members.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Toxeia
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RonGalaxy

@mattyftm: It must be a bug, because when I log out I see ads, when logged in I don't. I'd be very thankful if you could bring this up to someone who could fix it!!!!

And yes, it probably sounds weird that I actually want to see ads, but I'm pretty sure that's how ad revenue works; if I can't see it, GB isn't getting anything from advertisers. I could be wrong in that assumption though

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only been a monthly subscriber, and I've never seen ads.

I have seen ads when I wasn't a subscriber however.

So to reiterate, as a monthly subscriber I've NEVER seen ads...and I come to this site everyday.