Do online achievement/trophies ruin games?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ehhh, no. I agree that there have been times when I would repeat portions of games in ways that were really not fun in order to get achievements, but for the most part, achievements/trophies have really added a lot of value to the games I buy and I make the most out of them, getting the most value I can out of them.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai
@RHCPfan24: What i meant is do they ruin online multi p[layer game experience. I remember countless time where I played an online team based game and the experience and satisfaction of achieving a victory as a team was ruin because some players are just there for achievements. 
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Mordukai: Oh, well, possibly then. I hate online multiplayer achievements so the most part so, yes, that can be a thing that ruins games but some multiplayer games like Bad Company and Left 4 Dead have very well implemented achievements. That should be a model for others to follow.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

Depends. For instance. Multiplayer achievements ruin games, and Call of Duty 4 proves that the MP achievements do nothing for the staying power of said mode.

TheLongshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheLongshot

As far as street fighter 4 is concerned, yes i think so. But in most games to me it really has no bearing.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Fei

Yes and No. Some are just plain bad (Achieve 1000 ranked wins) while some are more bearable (Try out all modes). Halo 3's mp achievements are terrible where as COD4's mp challenges are better for that sort of award for performance.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

No, they encourage you to see more of the game and try new things you wouldn't have otherwise.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai

Although I didn't get into Cod4 all that much and I think the game is miles away from truly be modern warfare, I respect the fact that developer omitted any MP related achievements in order not to have the achievement whores ruin the game for everyone. I think game developers need to put a lot of thought to the way the implement their MP achievements. Halo 3 is a prime example of how to not implement MP achievements. Gears 2 did handle that problem by only registering one achievement related action so you won't abuse the system. I also like the way MAG will implement experience points by that if you don't work as a team you will get the lowest amount of points but if you do work as a team and obey your commanders you will get bonus points on top of the regular amount of point. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

For me it depends on how it is implemented.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ShadowKiller

I loved how they didn't put any MP achievements in COD4 because no one was playing for just the achievements. You'll occasionally find people yelling HELP ME PLOX on Halo and Gears is sometimes unbearable due to achievement hunters.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

Original Gears online achievements were insane...ruined the game!

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MKHavoc

Online achievements don't ruin games, they just make for bad achievements.  Some people won't be able to get the full thousand in those games.  Also, in less popular games, online achievements are almost impossible to get without boosting with a friend.  Try getting the online achievements in Prey or Stranglehold on your own.