Do people underestimate the PsP?

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Optiow

It seems that quite a few people I know underestimate the PsP and think it is stupid.
Is it?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Developers underestimate the PSP, unfortunately.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Optiow
Jayge said:
"Developers underestimate the PSP, unfortunately."
But why do they do it?
any fool can see that the PsP has got a future.
And it is portable, so more people will get it as you can play it anywhere.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayge_
Optiow said:
"Jayge said:
"Developers underestimate the PSP, unfortunately."
But why do they do it?
any fool can see that the PsP has got a future.
And it is portable, so more people will get it as you can play it anywhere."
Sony, as with the PS3, tried to rely on brand-name to support the PSP, and since its launch has only supported it from a first-party standpoint with a few sporadic, quickly-released titles at the start of each year to try and stimulate excitement and interest in it as a development platform. They keep failing. They need to keep a consistent, high-profile presence going with a steady, increased flow of first-party titles if they want other people to have any confidence. Some publishers still support the system quite a bit (Konami, Capcom, Sega, Koei, etc.) but it can't gain any momentum if Sony doesn't even seem to care about it.
Mevvem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Mevvem

the problem is that it is trying to be somthing its not. If it was "easyer" to use for everyone i think the sales would be better aswell. But now it is having trouble as both a gaming platform and a media player. Sadly though, because i love the ting, and i wish i didn't have to do illegal things to it for it to work like i want it to. (i have a 1gen wich is "hacked" and a 3000 wich isn't) But seriously, if i could DL games to it like with my iphone and on the illegal one, i would gladly pay full price for it! (and i'm saying this allthough i work in a gamestore :P)

But seriously, for portable machines, DLC wins since you don't have to drag all your disc's with you.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PureRok
Mevvem said:
"the problem is that it is trying to be somthing its not. If it was "easyer" to use for everyone i think the sales would be better aswell. But now it is having trouble as both a gaming platform and a media player. Sadly though, because i love the ting, and i wish i didn't have to do illegal things to it for it to work like i want it to. (i have a 1gen wich is "hacked" and a 3000 wich isn't) But seriously, if i could DL games to it like with my iphone and on the illegal one, i would gladly pay full price for it! (and i'm saying this allthough i work in a gamestore :P)

But seriously, for portable machines, DLC wins since you don't have to drag all your disc's with you."
You can download games on it now. Get with the times. There are full PSP, PS1, and PSN games available for download on the PSP.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Optiow
PureRok said:
"Mevvem said:
"the problem is that it is trying to be somthing its not. If it was "easyer" to use for everyone i think the sales would be better aswell. But now it is having trouble as both a gaming platform and a media player. Sadly though, because i love the ting, and i wish i didn't have to do illegal things to it for it to work like i want it to. (i have a 1gen wich is "hacked" and a 3000 wich isn't) But seriously, if i could DL games to it like with my iphone and on the illegal one, i would gladly pay full price for it! (and i'm saying this allthough i work in a gamestore :P)

But seriously, for portable machines, DLC wins since you don't have to drag all your disc's with you."
You can download games on it now. Get with the times. There are full PSP, PS1, and PSN games available for download on the PSP."
I know, you just stick it all on the momory card do you not?
It is pretty handy.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Karmum

People consider it to be a failed handheld in comparison to the DS. What people don't seem to figure out this is Sony's first handheld, and it has been the best one to challenge Nintendo. The PSP had some big potential, but no developer is giving the damn thing a chance.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By weltal

Nope. The PSP greatly suffers from the attempted console ports and not enough games developed solely for the handheld. That being said I do enjoy it and the fact that I was able to buy Suikoden has greatly raised my opinion of it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
Mevvem said:

The fact that it is a rather mediocre media player (although it is a great podcast organizer...) does not detract from the fact that it's an incredibly able portable gaming device. I don't understand why people seem to correlate these two factors so much. Perhaps because Sony should be focusing more on games than on expanding the portable's functionality, maybe. That said, they've got a great app going with the PSP Store, they just need to flood it with content.
Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gameboi

I'm still trying to figure out why the PSP is less popular than the DS.  It's basically a portable PlayStation 2, and we all know how popular that thing was. 

Then again, I have trouble with the PS2 being a better seller than the original Xbox (and my name is blue). Unlike the 360 vs. the PS3 war of today,  Microsoft clearly developed a better console with a lot more going for it back then.  Now the field is a bit more even.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lieutenant

Nope.
I don't want a dumbed down console experience in a handheld. 99% of the games are just bad ports of Sony franchises from the PS2.
In my eyes UMD is a failure (especially for movies) and I wouldn't be suprised if theres no BC whatsoever in the next PSP. Pretty sure all of Nintendo handhelds had BC for the previous generation of handhelds.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
Lieutenant said:
"99% of the "must have" games are just bad ports of Sony franchises from the PS2."
Every PSP thread you see, you get someone spewing stupid shit like this.
starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By starfox444

Piracy, most likely the popular games that are popular and well recieved will get pirated. So for lets say a new developer, the PSP is a no-go because if your game is good and hell, maybe even if it isn't you probably won't see too much money out of it. Well that and an extremely short battery life, depending on how fast the thing is running.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weltal
starfox444 said:
"Piracy, most likely the popular games that are popular and well recieved will get pirated. So for lets say a new developer, the PSP is a no-go because if your game is good and hell, maybe even if it isn't you probably won't see too much money out of it."
It's easier to pirate on a DS than it is to pirate on a PSP. Also, as far as I know the later 2000 models and the 3000 are still uncracked, though it's only a matter of time.
starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By starfox444

My cracked psp and 33 games disagrees with you sir. But piracy is all I've ever heard of the PSP, i generally don't hear about it for the DS. I remember during my time in phillippines you go to the game store ask "Do you sell psp games" proceed to look through a catalogue of titles and then tell them which ones you want for the equivalent for roughly 1-3 dollars Australian and wait as they put in on your memory stick.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
starfox444 said:
"My cracked psp and 33 games disagrees with you sir."
Getting an R4 and sticking some ROMs on it is much easier than creating a MMS, converting your battery to a Pandora's, and then installing the firmware correctly. Simply because you've chosen to go to greater lengths to be an ass doesn't mean he's wrong.
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xplodedd

everyone pirates the psp...
not that many people do it on the ds
Weltal said:

"starfox444 said:
"Piracy, most likely the popular games that are popular and well recieved will get pirated. So for lets say a new developer, the PSP is a no-go because if your game is good and hell, maybe even if it isn't you probably won't see too much money out of it."
It's easier to pirate on a DS than it is to pirate on a PSP. Also, as far as I know the later 2000 models and the 3000 are still uncracked, though it's only a matter of time."

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By granderojo

Piracy killed the PSP game lineup, developers don't want to make games on a platform that is going to be pirated in the number PSP games are.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lieutenant
Jayge said:
"Lieutenant said:
"99% of the "must have" games are just bad ports of Sony franchises from the PS2."
Every PSP thread you see, you get someone spewing stupid shit like this."
Because it's true? From looking at Wikipedia these are the franchises that were basically ported from the PS2:
Ape Escape
ATV Offroad Fury
Call of Duty
Burnout
Final Fantasy
Crazy Taxi
Jak and Daxter
Def Jam
Disgaea
Dynasty Warriors
God of War
Grand Theft Auto
Killzone
Legend of Dragoon
Medievil
Medal of Honor
Metal Gear Solid
MLB The Show
Power stone
Ratchet & Clank
Ridge Racer
Socom
Star Wars Battlefront
Wipeout

Not to mention every annual game

Ok, fine, I shouldn't have said 99% of must haves are console ports.. since the PSP does have some great new IPs. But you have to admit... from that list of franchises almost all of them are nothing more than gimped versions of their console counterparts.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pibo47

PSP sucks/end topic

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jayge_
Lieutenant said:
"Because it's true? From looking at Wikipedia these are the franchises that were basically ported from the PS2:
Ape Escape
ATV Offroad Fury
Call of Duty
Burnout
Final Fantasy
Crazy Taxi
Jak and Daxter
Def Jam
Disgaea
Dynasty Warriors
God of War
Grand Theft Auto
Killzone
Legend of Dragoon
Medievil
Medal of Honor
Metal Gear Solid
MLB The Show
Power stone
Ratchet & Clank
Ridge Racer
Socom
Star Wars Battlefront
Wipeout

Not to mention every annual game

Ok, fine, I shouldn't have said 99% of must haves are console ports.. since the PSP does have some great new IPs. But you have to admit... from that list of franchises almost all of them are nothing more than gimped versions of their console counterparts."
"franchises ported from the PS2". That's an even dumber argument than "the PSP's good games are all direct ports". Of course there are extensions of Playstation franchises. It's a Playstation console! Why wouldn't they want to extend their games to it? So because the PSP often get games that are related to intellectual properties that have appeared on the PS2 or PS1, it automatically gets disqualified because the games are "all ports" of those franchises? What kind of bullshit logic is that? As for "almost all of them being nothing more than gimped versions of their console counterparts", huh? Have you even played any of those? I mean, it's fine if you want to say things like that with experience, but listing 24 franchises, some of which have PSP legs that span multiple titles, and saying that they're all gimped isn't just unreasonable, it's ridiculous. Especially considering that you pulled your list from Wikipedia.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By keyhunter

As far as I know, there are no games for the PSP other than Gurumin: A monstrous adventure.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gameboi
Lieutenant said:
"Nope.
I don't want a dumbed down console experience in a handheld. 99% of the games are just bad ports of Sony franchises from the PS2.

To be fair, I'd like to point out that Nintendo is notorious for re-releasing games from previous generations itself. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and more are some familiar names associated with the DS (and Wii) -- and not all of them are entirely new.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter
Gameboi said:
"Lieutenant said:
"Nope.

To be fair, I'd like to point out that Nintendo is notorious for re-releasing games from previous generations itself. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and more are some familiar names associated with the DS (and Wii) -- and not all of them are entirely new.
"
That's why I hate Nintendo so much.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
keyhunter said:
"Gameboi said:
"Lieutenant said:
"Nope.

"
That's why I hate Nintendo so much."
I take it you only ever buy new IP's then. This seriously limits your game collection and you're missing out on some amazing games.

Stop being silly.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Linkyshinks

I love my PSP, it does offer some great games but sadly there are not enough of them for my liking. Sony are largely to blame when they offer numerous hardware tweaks and very few games that show what is possible using it's superior power over the DS. They also seem not to want to update the platform in the most obvious way, something that owners have complained about even before it's release.

Sony took the raw power gamble and they lost. It's power and attributes have failed to make an impact as big as Nintendo's handheld, with it's simple dual screen and touch which offered something distinct and new both to gamers and developers. The DS has a controls that inspire developers to create unique games, that's why it's thriving.

Developers cannot be blamed too much for creating mobile versions, it's a natural progression to move games over from the console to the handheld platform, but at the same time they are not taking enough risks in creating mobile versions of games that few want to play.

They underestimate the DS far more-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9XrsNZ1qM

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_
Linkyshinks said:
"Sony took the raw power gamble and they lost. It's power and attributes have failed to make an impact as big as Nintendo's handheld."
It's the biggest-selling non-Nintendo handheld of all time, running against the most succesfull Nintendo handheld of all time. I don't see how they lost anything. 40+ million units is nothing to laugh at.
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By BlackWaterCO

To be honest, I hate the PSP

When they make a portable with two sticks, call me, i'll buy two

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kratos81

I sold my psp, there just are not enough games. I never played the damn thing after I beat gow.  Then again I not really in to hand helds, I dont really travel, so I only play them on the toilet.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

The PSP is plagued with terrible controls and a lack of attention from Sony.

To be truthful though, I'm extremely disappointed with both handhelds on the market right now.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Everyone overestimated the PSP. That was the problem.