#1 Posted by RedRoach (1198 posts) -

So I got my first gaming PC last week and today I downloaded Witcher 2. I plugeed in my wireless 360 controller and the PC automatically downloaded and installed drivers, but when I load up Witcher it wont let me select gamepad in the options. So do I need to buy a specific xbox controller for the PC?

#2 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -
#3 Posted by RedRoach (1198 posts) -

Ahh okay, thanks, I'll pick one of those up today. Although now I have to play the Last of us before I dive into the Witcher.

#4 Edited by Nivash (241 posts) -

Yeah, that's your problem. The cable for the wireless controller only recharges it if you plug it into the PC (which I think the drivers are for). It doesn't support data traffic. I think the drivers are also built into most Windows versions at this point so that should sort itself out automatically.

If it's any consolation I can personally vouch for the Witcher 2 having excellent native 360 gamepad support. I think there was at most switching the option from keyboard to gamepad but after that the game plays exactly the same as it does on the console - with better graphics and framerate, of course. Even the game's launcher is gamepad compatible.

#5 Posted by Gruff182 (861 posts) -

Yeah, the wireless 360 controller is always wireless, plugged in or not.

I use a 360 emulator, for my PS3 pad.

Look online you can get a free DS3 tool, when you plug any PS3 controller in, your machine/games will detect a 360 controller. Button mappings and all.

#6 Edited by alternate (2713 posts) -

wired controller or wireless dongle needed. If you can't find an official receiver the Chinese clones on fleabay usually work well and use MS drivers.

#7 Posted by fleabeard (194 posts) -
#8 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

After 7 or 8 years of the same topic being asked and answered over and over again you all have all fit into your roles nicely.

#9 Posted by Darkstorn (465 posts) -

@gruff182 said:

Yeah, the wireless 360 controller is always wireless, plugged in or not.

I use a 360 emulator, for my PS3 pad.

Look online you can get a free DS3 tool, when you plug any PS3 controller in, your machine/games will detect a 360 controller. Button mappings and all.

I use a DS3 tool too (MotionInJoy) but I'm pretty sure it's spyware...I also started getting BSODs after installing it.

But I have to admit, it works.

#10 Edited by villainy (564 posts) -

@shadowskill11: Somehow it still surprises me that MS didn't see this coming. A quality controller, made by the makers of Windows, with a USB connector, doesn't work with Windows games when physically connected. Hopefully they've got it right with the new one.