#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

So, for a while now I was using a swiffer sweeper dry duster pad to get the dust off the outside of the consoles I have . But I later I found out that they use electro static to pick up the dust, and we all know static doesn't mix well with electronics. I' never noticed any real issues, but I'm going to just use a microfiber cloth from now on.

But can those things even damage our electronics. Are the consoles and tvs built with any kind of protection against outward static or electro static?

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Usually the innards of a console are shielded to prevent damage from electrostatic discharge. As long as you're not opening up that bad boy and Swiffering out its innards, you should be fine.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14839 posts) -

Personally, Id rather get a large micro fiber cloth and use that. Im not sure you'll be doing any damage but personally Id rather just make sure.

#4 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -

Bare electronic components are prone to ESD, but once they are installed in a properly designed PCB, they are essentially immune to ESD. There is nothing to worry about unless you intend on operating a Tesla coil nearby.

#5 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

@chiablo: so is the ps4 casing a properly designed pub.

I'm going to use a microfiber cloth from now in, but now I'm worried if damage might have already been done. Everything SEEMS to be working fine.

#6 Posted by MB (12425 posts) -

You're worrying too much, it's fine dude.

#7 Edited by laserguy (444 posts) -

When I was a kid I was only allowed to turn on the T.V. with the remote because of static.

#8 Posted by diz (918 posts) -

Microfibre cloths use a static charge to attract and retain dry dust in them. But, as others say, the charges encountered during cleaning should not affect electronics unless they directly contact certain sensitive components on the circuit board.