• 81 results
#1 Posted by BaconGames (3292 posts) -

#2 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

Why would you avoid using them? Because they are usually the main weapon in games?

#3 Posted by ericdrum (404 posts) -

I can't believe I'm asking this: What is this question in context to?

#4 Posted by supermonkey122 (812 posts) -

Why would you?

#5 Posted by HatKing (5821 posts) -
@ericdrum said:

I can't believe I'm asking this: What is this question in context to?

Judging by the last two options, I'm going to go with video games in general. 

No, I don't avoid using any weapon in a game for any reason other than I don't like it.  I generally try to find the gun that is simultaneously fun and effective to use.  
#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I prefer using pistols in most games I play.

#7 Posted by ericdrum (404 posts) -

@HatKing: Right, but is this something people question? Do people avoid two handed swords in lieu of dual swords or sword and shields? I don't know. It's a weird question to me.

#8 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I do, actually. I think I have a shotty/pistol fetish. Assault rifles feel a bit 'light' to me most of the time.

#9 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

I find it fun to try and do good with shitty weapons in multiplayer FPS's, it's more rewarding, and usually that means that I don't use Assault Rifles that often, unless I'm in tryhard mode.

#10 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

If you add a fifth option for "Only in Crysis 2" then we'd be getting somewhere.

#11 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Nah, they're pretty cool.

#12 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

"Do you avoid using the borderline default weapon that is almost universally considered the jack of all trades multi-situational gun in every modern FPS game?"

No.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

No I don't. I usually use them less than other kinds of weapons when I'm given a choice, though. I tend to play unconventionally.

#14 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I use Assukt Riffles the most, really couldn't care for Shotguns.

#15 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

Grocery stores, libraries, airports, work, movies, pub crawls, dates...they are all made better with a trusty assault rifle by my side.

#16 Posted by HatKing (5821 posts) -
@ericdrum: Ah, I see.  Agreed, it is a very odd question.
#17 Posted by Maluvin (264 posts) -

Only weapon I tend to avoid is anything resembling a shotgun.  Not sure why; just don't like them.

#18 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

i prefer light machine guns to be honest. 

#19 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I try to use shotguns as much as humanly possible. Assault rifles are too cliché.

#20 Posted by NickBOTT (481 posts) -

No.

#21 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I usually actively seek them out, unless it's a terrible feeling assault rifle.

#22 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Depends on the game. In a lot of games, it's way too easy when using them.

However I do enjoy a good SMG.

#23 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

Yes, for hunting and light house keeping, I always go with the bazooka.  

In games?  Oh, naw I pick whatever is available and has a sight.  I tend to favor sniper rifles in single-player games because I don't want to get too close to the target.

#24 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I prefer pistols and shottys actually, but I will always jump on a single fire assault rifle

#25 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

In FPSs I generally gravitate towards shotguns and sniper rifles. I don't actively avoid assault rifles; I do tend not to use them, if possible, though.

#26 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

Hipster FPS tactics. :P

Honestly, I use all weapons except snipers equally. I really like the LMGs in DICE's games, and SMGs can be very useful, as well. Assault rifles may be standard, but they are the best overall option for many situations.

#27 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I do, often.
They are often not that great nor appealing to me, I'm more of a gunslinging kinda gal.

#28 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Depends on the game in question.

#29 Edited by BaconGames (3292 posts) -

Sorry guys but for whatever reason it won't let me actually add content to my original post and I didn't feel like trying out a double-post to give it some context. The contextual question was if you avoid using assault rifles in video games because they're so ubiquitous and so overused that you deliberately avoid using them.

Having played through all of Bad Company 2, I almost used LMG's, shotguns, or sniper rifles instead of assault rifles because I've been using those fucking things for decades now and I'm tired of them. This spawned this idea that there are some people out there who avoid using assault rifles because they're too obvious or so played out. The crux is do you deliberately mix it up with other weapons?

(I also assume that since it's in general discussion, people should assume it's about video games).

#30 Posted by EpicSteve (6471 posts) -

I always use Assault Rifles.

#31 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Weird question and no I use assault rifles when given the option to use one. Unless I have a sawed off shotgun and this is the gears 3 beta.

#32 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

No, they are well rounded and adaptable for most situations. I understand that they are "mainstream" but there's a reason for that.

#33 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Why would you?

#34 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Nope. I just tend not to use them because I usually prefer pistols/sniper rifles/shotguns.

#35 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

No, I tend to use them with red dot sights.

#36 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I usually either go with Sniper Rifles or Melee Weapons/Unarmed in games like Fallout 3 and Borderlands. Not the case with Halo or Gears of War however.

#37 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

Depends on the game. In Mass Effect I usually focus on pistols simply because it feels right to me over heavy ordinance

#38 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

Nope, own a ak47 and ar15 in real life and i always love seeing how close it resembles the real thing.

#39 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I almost always stick to ARs, though I lean more on mid-to-long range ones.

#40 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I like pistols usually. They make me feel like a badass.

#41 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Engie : Uzi and CG.

#42 Posted by bybeach (4726 posts) -

I find they are the most versatile weapon, close or far

#43 Posted by ajamafalous (11854 posts) -

Come to think of it, I don't really regularly play any FPSs that aren't TF2.

So I guess I do. Shotguns all day.

#44 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I've personally been more of a submachine, shotgun or pistol kind of guy, but mainly a shotgun and pistol kind of guy.

#45 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Yes because I know everyone's got that front covered (I usually snipe), but it also helps to get used to how assault rifles feel because if I'm out of ammo and lucky to down someone in close quarters with a pistol most likely than not he/she's got an assault rifle that I can now use.

#46 Edited by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

I love 'em. My least favourite weapon in games is usually the shotgun, but I have no idea why.

#47 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Kinda completely depends on the game.

#48 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

Usually they are the most well rounded weapons in the game, so no.  

#49 Posted by shamroll (145 posts) -

I usually pick my weapons by their look and sound.  If they sound powerful and have good animation (muzzle flash, movement from recoil, reloading animation, and ejecting spent shells) then that becomes my weapon of choice usually.

#50 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Yes, I usually find them to be the least interesting weapon in most games I have played.