• 60 results
Posted by Brenderous (1103 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Do you actually enjoy "grinding?" (187 votes)

Yes 9%
No 25%
Depends on the game 66%

That kind of grinding where you are purposefully going back to places you've already been for the sole purpose of leveling up your character/characters, and not doing any side quests or what have you.

#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Welcome to real life.

#2 Edited by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

Entirely depends on the game, yo.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (12450 posts) -

If you're enjoying grinding, then you're not really grinding...

#4 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

Nope.

#5 Posted by Zirilius (732 posts) -

If you're enjoying grinding, then you're not really grinding...

100% this. Grinding is only grinding if it becomes a chore to do. Such as dailies in WoW or grinding rep.

#6 Posted by Zornack (205 posts) -

I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

#7 Posted by Corvak (1173 posts) -

depends on the game. Always enjoyed it in some of the older final fantasy games - found it fun to break some of the systems by unlocking stuff early :)

#8 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

Depends on the game. On Final Fantasy games, the soundtrack itself made grinding enjoyable though the battle theme started getting bit dull on longer sessions.

#9 Posted by joshwent (2353 posts) -

depends on the song

#10 Posted by believer258 (12216 posts) -

Well, it depends. If I enjoy the mechanics in place and the area I'm exploring, then yeah a bit of grinding can an enjoyable, mindless activity.

Too much grinding can ruin any game, though.

#11 Posted by EXTomar (4952 posts) -

Depends on the game. Grinding seems better when the player feels like they've "mastered" the systems and mechanics. It seems like players resent grinding when it becomes the only way to get past an obstacle to get to mastery.

#12 Posted by biggiedubs (497 posts) -

I don't know, it was pretty good in Skate 3.

ZAM! KA-POW!

Nah, grinding is pretty terrible, especially in RPG's that don't level up the guys you're not using alongside the guys you are. Going back to early dungeons to level a character up because you need him / her is such a terrible experience. Such a buzz-kill.

I've always thought forcing you to grind was bad design, to be honest: at least in terms of main story stuff. If I can't progress the story in a natural way by just the normal amount of random encounters you get by just walking to a place, you messed up.

#13 Edited by Winsord (1316 posts) -

I play a lot of MMOs, so I feel like I would be lying if I voted no. I spent an unnecessarily long amount of time grinding in Ni No Kuni just trying to get familiars up into really high levels and see what their best spells were like. It definitely depends on the game though, as I know I wasn't able to withstand it for long in Blue Dragon. A lot of it probably depends on how quickly you can get in and out of the fight; for example, in a JPRG if there's too much intro/ending celebration I probably can't be bothered.

#14 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -

#15 Posted by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -

I always felt that if you simply played through each random battle as the story progressed, well then that should be good enough. If that makes sense.

Although, not all games agree with that idea.

#16 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1652 posts) -

Do you consider The Sims grinding? If so, then I really don't mind it. But it's really a matter of the game, because I'm not really into WoW or hardcore JRPG grinding.

#17 Posted by Hector (3381 posts) -

@zornack said:

I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

Same here, I answered right away without reading the subject. Haha

#18 Posted by probablytuna (3834 posts) -

It's a necessary evil, like Bane.

#19 Posted by Irvandus (2900 posts) -

Sometimes. It's kind of just something mindless to do when I want to be distracted for a bit. I don't do it too often though because in most rpgs I see over leveling yourself as a way of cheating.

#20 Posted by Hunter5024 (5983 posts) -

I do not enjoy it, but if I'm grinding I usually listen to a podcast while it happens to distract me from how bored I am.

#21 Posted by two_socks (236 posts) -

Yeah, I like it a lot. Especially in FFXII. Gambits made grinding so painless.

#22 Edited by ConfusedOwl (972 posts) -

Depends on the game. RPGs that use it excessively to pad out the length are annoying, but if it's optional or only required every now and than it can be a nice activity to do especially if I decide to play the game late at night.

#23 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2435 posts) -

Nope. Never enjoyed at all.

#24 Posted by Zeik (2788 posts) -

It really depends on the game. I've been replaying Disgaea 4 lately, and once I hit a good grinding spot I spent several hours just grinding my characters, even though it was completely unnecessary just to proceed to the next level, because that game gives you so many rewards for grinding and you feel so much more awesome afterward.

Once you start feeling like the game is making you grind just to proceed rather than because you feel like it then it feels like a bother. Basically, if grinding is preventing you from doing what you really want to do then it's bad grinding.

#25 Posted by GunstarRed (5489 posts) -

I'm a big fan in the Ratchet games.

#26 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Sometimes I do it just for fun, like in Legend of Dragoon.

#27 Posted by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

Not so much these days. I used to back in college when I was playing World of Warcraft. If I found out a game I wanted nowadays had a lot of grinding I'd probably skip it.

#28 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I prefer twerking and whylin,' but that's just me.

#29 Edited by TobbRobb (4853 posts) -

I've been known to stay in an area to kill the same enemies a few extra times just for fun. However I spit on that activity as an integral part of moving forward with a game.

That is probably the only reason I enjoy Jrpgs. When you refuse to grind, you find a lot of other hilarious ways to get stronger or exploit the system, which is infinitely more fun then running in a circle for a while so I can twoshot something. Which is also why I still haven't finished Dragon Quest 8. That game is just too polished for me, there arent any good bugs or balance issues to exploit and the game is balls fucking hard without grinding.

#30 Edited by schreiberty (208 posts) -

@irvandus said:

Sometimes. It's kind of just something mindless to do when I want to be distracted for a bit. I don't do it too often though because in most rpgs I see over leveling yourself as a way of cheating.

Pretty much this. Put on a movie or a podcast and power up an mmo and you can have a pretty relaxing time that makes progress towards whatever your trying to do.

#31 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6408 posts) -

I love it in games like Disgaea or Tales of Xillia, because it feels like I'm always improving something, and often in substantial ways. Give me plenty of numbers to increase, lots of loot, and relatively quick battles, and I'm a happy camper. I don't much care for it in games like Dark Souls because the bonuses feel so inconsequential - which I realize is mostly due to my shitty skill at games, but.... hey, opinions, right?

#32 Posted by kaos_cracker (714 posts) -

I'm going through Ni No Kuni now, and the leveling that you need to do to me seems annoying in certain areas. But i'm not very good at that game so that may be why.

#33 Posted by Zeik (2788 posts) -

I'm going through Ni No Kuni now, and the leveling that you need to do to me seems annoying in certain areas. But i'm not very good at that game so that may be why.

It's actually very very easy to overlevel in that game. There's an enemy you can fight that will give you a ridiculous amount of exp.

#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6452 posts) -

It's not really grinding unless you know, you find it to be a grind. IE, you dislike it. Otherwise you're just playing the game...

#35 Posted by OhmanIloveOman (6 posts) -

I don't ever find it fun but if it pays off then I'm damn proud of myself

#36 Posted by joshwent (2353 posts) -

Do you consider The Sims grinding?

I'd say it's more "woo-hoo"ing.

#37 Posted by cutyoface (553 posts) -

If the gameplay is enjoyable I don't mind it.

#38 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -

I don't mind grinding at all so long as the core gameplay is fun and grinding isn't the majority of the game. One could call the entire endgame of WoW grinding by some definitions, but I don't mind it at all since there's so much stuff you can do.

Staff
#39 Posted by Miyuki (177 posts) -

I don't mind it. As long as you don't actively avoid combat, you can usually do a minimum of grinding in most rpgs. Some are better than others, but I can't remember having to actively grind since Persona 3 (Tartarus had some major difficulty spikes.) Even then, I loved that game (though Persona 4 was better... there was grinding, but the dungeons weren't all the same.)

#40 Edited by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -

If the game is fun then grinding is fine.

#41 Edited by villainy (600 posts) -

I don't mind grinding as long as it doesn't.. feel like a grind I guess?

Yeah, I like it a lot. Especially in FFXII. Gambits made grinding so painless.

I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic but I finally finished FFXII yesterday after starting/stopping/restarting several times over the years. I kept finding myself grinding without realizing it because I was having fun tweaking gambits.

#42 Edited by Lyisa (395 posts) -

I hate grinding in WoW and eventually quit playing because of it.

Simpler games, jrpgs, ffxi or things similar to that I'm okay with it because I can be doing something else as well.

But generally the modern mmo quest grinding is painfully dull (always has been really).

Edit: As far as jrpg's go I don't actually recall grinding in any except persona 3, entirely by mistake of my own by accidentally getting to the final boss with a level 50ish party and discovering he was more difficult than anything else.

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Only if the lady's willing.

#44 Posted by Whitestripes09 (440 posts) -

Grinding for gold in GW2 isn't really that bad since there's a lot you can do. Mostly depends on the game.

#45 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6012 posts) -

Insert sex joke here

#46 Posted by mindgarden418 (60 posts) -

When I was younger, sure.

Some games like SMT Nocturne or SMT IV I kind of want to to go grind a favorite demon up but simply cant be bothered these days and in SMT and Etrian Odyssey grinding is totally unnecessary due to the amount of combat you encounter naturally progressing through the game. But it still can be satisfying, if only I didn't have a backlog.

#47 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I answered yes, but it does depend on the game. Some games are just more fun to grind than others.

#48 Posted by TheRealMoot (431 posts) -

Depends on the game.

I'll play Monster Hunter for hours or days grinding out one rare drop to upgrade a weapon without even a thought. But I can't stand grinding out gear in games like Torchlight.

I might be a little more susceptible to grinding in an MMO if I have something to listen too... like a podcast! Otherwise: no. I get bored and sloppy.

#49 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Yeah. I did a lot when I was younger. Got max levels and the best gear in a lot of rpgs and whatnot. If a game is fun and I want to keep playing it then I'll just grind sometimes. I haven't as much lately, but there haven't been as many rpgs that I would want to grind in lately either. Persona 4 Golden was the last one where I grinded for fun.

#50 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I'm using an exploit in payday 2 to make my character level up and unlock stuff faster, though I have to grind I don't mind cus it works all the time...