Do you agree with GiantBomb's pick of Game of the Year as Grand Theft Auto IV? yes or no

• 114 results
GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By GamespotNoMore
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chummy8

Yes.  Out of all the games released this year that I actually played...GTA 4 was the best.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Optiow

No.
I think Metal Gear solid was the best game of '08.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

Yes, I agree with it.  But, like I've said before, I didn't get to play all the games I wanted to last year.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Megalon

I agree with it, though MGS4 was pretty damn good too. I think if GTA IV had come out more recently it would have been less of a debate with most people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah I don`t really mind, it was a great game in my opinion.

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By coonce

it really all comes down to personal preference..... hands down.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By breadfan

When 2008 wrapped up most of my favorite games were those that had just been released (Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, etc)  but when I thought back to all of the other great games that came out, I remembered how much fun I had with Grand Theft Auto 4.  The game did so many things right and I think it was deserving of the game of the year award.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane
coonce said:
"it really all comes down to personal preference..... hands down."
Damn you and your diplomacy!  It's all about partisanship!
GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GamespotNoMore

who here had a game of the year other than Metal Gear Solid or GTA IV for 2008?

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By AlwaysCrashing
GamespotNoMore said:
"who here had a game of the year other than Metal Gear Solid or GTA IV for 2008?"
Mine would be Fable, or Braid.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MKHavoc

Yes, but I haven't played MGS4 so I'm not sure whether or not I would've liked it better.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Optiow
GamespotNoMore said:
"who here had a game of the year other than Metal Gear Solid or GTA IV for 2008?"
well then if I could have I would have voted for Mercinaries 2.
drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By drakesfortune

I'd give it to MGS4.  The story in GTA4 was the best in a GTA, but the gameplay isn't up to par with San Andreas, which was a real bummer to me as San Andreas my be my game of the forever.  That said, GTA4 would be my number 2 or 3 choice.  I think that MGS4 is clearly a better game though.

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TGB
GamespotNoMore said:

My game of the year was Mega Man 9, which makes me question my own gaming tastes... I guess gameplay trumped graphics for me this year as MGS4 was my second choice.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Optiow
TGB said:
"My game of the year was Mega Man 9, which makes me question my gaming tastes....
"
I should probably play this game.
supertom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By supertom

It seems like people are not giving MGS4 a real fair comparison because they arent playing it to the fullest.  In GTA if you fail a mission you can redo it in a differnt way.  That seems to be what swayed the vote.  But in MGS there are several differnt ways you can play though the game.  You can sneak and tranq your way through the whole game, you can kill everything you see, you can do a mix of both, up the difficulty, etc.  I played throug the game 3 times in three completely different ways.  GTA had a ton to offer but the actual gameplay is what broke it for me. 

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Optiow
Supertom said:
"It seems like people are not giving MGS4 a real fair comparison because they arent playing it to the fullest.  In GTA if you fail a mission you can redo it in a differnt way.  That seems to be what swayed the vote.  But in MGS there are several differnt ways you can play though the game.  You can sneak and tranq your way through the whole game, you can kill everything you see, you can do a mix of both, up the difficulty, etc.  I played throug the game 3 times in three completely different ways.  GTA had a ton to offer but the actual gameplay is what broke it for me. "
exactly.
That is why I like all of the MGS's becuase you can do it multiple ways.
Yiou can kill, or use stealth, there is so much freedom to what you can do.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hexpane

GTA4 isn't even the best GTA game, let along GOTY.  Does GTA4 have great Voice acting and a well told main story line?  Hell yes.  But are ANY of the mini games actually fun?  Of course not.  I dare anyone to tell me that the bowling in GTA is fun.  I double dAWG dare you.

How about the constant cel phone relationship managing, was that fun?

What is more fun   .. getting  a car full of homies in GTA:SA and going on a wild cross county drive by spree  or having your cel phone ring a log w/ COusin Balky complaining you dont pay enough attention to him?

I love the GTA series, but lets get real here, GTA:SA was the crown jewel.  GTA4 is more realistic, has a better story, and better graphics... but the all important GAMEPLAY is not any better at all.  

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Optiow
Hexpane said:
"GTA4 isn't even the best GTA game, let along GOTY.  Does GTA4 have great Voice acting and a well told main story line?  Hell yes.  But are ANY of the mini games actually fun?  Of course not.  I dare anyone to tell me that the bowling in GTA is fun.  I double dAWG dare you.

How about the constant cel phone relationship managing, was that fun?

What is more fun   .. getting  a car full of homies in GTA:SA and going on a wild cross county drive by spree  or having your cel phone ring a log w/ COusin Balky complaining you dont pay enough attention to him?

I love the GTA series, but lets get real here, GTA:SA was the crown jewel.  GTA4 is more realistic, has a better story, and better graphics... but the all important GAMEPLAY is not any better at all.  "
Yes, SA was the best.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Kazona

Yes I agree

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shadows_kill

NO, mainly cause i HATED gta4...it took all the fun out of the gta series.

GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GamespotNoMore

I LOVE MEGA MAN!!

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chummy8
shadows_kill said:
"NO, mainly cause i HATED gta4...it took all the fun out of the gta series."

Do you think you would've like GTA 4 more if you have never played San Andreas?
TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TGB

Be advised, Some Minor-SPOILERS were used in the writing of this post,

Metal Gear Solid 4 still manages to confound me when it comes to debating whether its the best game of the year. It had my favorite set pieces, boss battles, level (Act 4) and moments of the year (The oven, Metal gear battle and the final fight). But the pacing and conclusions for the numerous story lines annoyed me or did not move me. I think the bombcast was came to the same conclusion that if the game had followed through in having Snake die, have that moment like in MGS3 where you pull the trigger to kill the boss, it could have been the Giantbomb's best game of the year. I think it would have made Snake's story and journey through the game strong enough that I would have forgotten about all the other crazy story crap I did not like.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By granderojo
TekZero said:
"shadows_kill said:
"NO, mainly cause i HATED gta4...it took all the fun out of the gta series."

Do you think you would've like GTA 4 more if you have never played San Andreas?"
I loved the over the topness of San Andreas myself, it is my most played game ever and probably my number 1 but that does not take away that GTA IV was the best experience in gaming this year, I have never been in a world so vibrant and full of little touches.

Next GTA game will rock because rockstar has gotten there hands dirty with this engine, we will see something that blows San Andreas out of the fucking park.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By End_Boss

Hard to say. Mine might have been Gears 2 when it first came out. Then when the glaring, unmistakeable, unexcusable bugs became apparent, I nearly stopped playing the game.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hexpane
thabigred said:

Next GTA game when rockstar is got there hands dirty with this engine, we will see something that blows San Andreas out of the fucking park."
Unless all the core developers have left by then and we get "cel phone relationship sim" 2.0 :(

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dalai

They made the 2nd best choice for this category... Rock Paper Shotgun got it right, in my opinion.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince

No. It was good, but not Metal Gear good.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Phished0ne

I dont agree with it but only because i am starting to get sick of GTA games...i liked the storyline but GTA is just growing old  IMHO.  I would've given it to MGS because I liked the experence better. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24
TekZero said:
"Yes.  Out of all the games released this year that I actually played...GTA 4 was the best."
Same for me. And I played a shitload of games last year.
Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bass

I agree with them. That being said, it wasn't my favorite game of this year.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Optiow
LiquidPrince said:
"No. It was good, but not Metal Gear good."
My opinion as well.
Metal gear was just at a whole new level that GTA just could not compete with.
Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lieutenant
Stop....please.

But no, GTA 4 was probably my 3rd best game of the year. Bellow Burnout Paradise and Left 4 Dead, followed by MGS4.
It's their opinion though, not going to post why I think their game of the year is wrong.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karmum

I didn't get to play MGS4, but my favorite game of last year was GTA IV.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By psmgamer
GamespotNoMore said:
Fallout 3 would be my pick as GOTY for 2008
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hexpane

I have to say I am somewhat surprised YES is winning.  Again I LOVE GTA but GTA4 was a bit of a let down in the gameplay dept.  I'm curious as to how many Yes votes have played GTA:SA?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Captain_Insano

Yes
though I havent played MGS 4 and a few other cames blew me away that came into close contention, GTA IV was just phenomenal.  I recently played some Saints Row and have now started GTA IV again and realise how much I love the direction it took and, once I got used to the driving agian, just how much fun it is

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Snipzor

Well GTA4 did have Niko Bellic, that in itself is enough to give it GOTY. But then they did what we all had doubts about. They improved an already badass game, MGS4 did that to a degree.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Red

Yes. Although I haven't played it and I don't want to play it, from their podcast it completely and utterly derserves GoTy

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By serbsta

Personally i agree with it but its not strange to see so many who dont.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Absurd

I haven't played it but they seem to make a good case for it :P

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpikeDelight

Anyone who thinks GTA IV "Isn't that good" or is "overhyped" is, simply put, an idiot. It's just because you've been wooed by games that came out later this year and forgot how good it really is. Luckily, the professionals around the internet don't have severe ADD, not counting games out merely because of their place on the release calendar.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Jayge_
SpikeDelight said:
"Anyone who thinks GTA IV "Isn't that good" or is "overhyped" is, simply put, an idiot. It's just because you've been wooed by games that came out later this year and forgot how good it really is. Luckily, the professionals around the internet don't have severe ADD, not counting games out merely because of their place on the release calendar."
This reasoning is about as stupid as a monkey trying to explain why it flings its own shit.
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpikeDelight
Jayge said:
This reasoning is about as stupid as a monkey trying to explain why it flings its own shit."
Check GameTrailers, every time GTA IV won an award, the video gets lower than a 6 or 5 and every comment says why GTA IV is overhyped and how it's boring and MGS4 should have won. Yeah MGS4 was great but really... Also at least there is reasoning behind my post you apparently didn't see it necessary to provide any for yours.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By RHCPfan24
Hexpane said:
"I have to say I am somewhat surprised YES is winning.  Again I LOVE GTA but GTA4 was a bit of a let down in the gameplay dept.  I'm curious as to how many Yes votes have played GTA:SA?"
I played San Andreas and didn't get it. The craziness turned me off a bit and I still didn't like the controls or overall feel. I liked Vice City better. And GTA IV is my GOTY for 2008, so I voted "Yes."
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Fuck no. For every little thing they put into GTA4, they took out from other installments.

Instead of . . .We all got . . .
 A gang territory system like in San Andreas  REALISTIC GRAPHICS!
 Stats to upgrade REALISTIC DRIVING!
 Jumping off buildings with parachutes REALISTIC BODY PHYSICS!
 Wild, off the wall car chases DOWN TO EARTH STORY!

I really can't see how anyone could consider this game the best game in the series. The shooting, while better than GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas, it was still far behind the standard that Gears of War set. All the controls felt niggling to me. Setting your default movement speed to "walk" is bullshit, and makes it hard to run from the cops while shooting them. When the most fun thing in a game that touts a "realistic, living, breathing world" is to drive full speed at a tree to see your body flail through the air, you know you have put out something remarkably unremarkable.

I wouldn't dare consider GTA4 a good game. Game of the year? No way. This is why I don't even really care what the staff is up to on this site. Our feelings on games are just opposites.

Yeah, that's right, Jeff, WORLD OF GOO IS BETTER THAN GTA!
GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GamespotNoMore

Really? Are you exaggerating? WOrld of GOo is better?