Do you always watch cutscenes?

• 85 results
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Do you always watch cutscenes? (217 votes)

Yes, of course. 75%
No, never. 4%
Mostly. 19%
Hardly. 3%
(See Results) 1%

I got into an argument with a friend about this, he think no one cares about the story and that most people skip the cutscenes. I think anyone who skips cutscenes is crazy and should be punished for such a cruel act.

What do you do? I know nearly all of you will say yes since we are on a video game website, but do you think most people watch them or don't care?

The fucking worst is playing co op with people who skip cutscenes, I feel like hunting them down.

• 
Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Always on a first playthough, after that it depends on how much I like the story or how long its been since I've played the game.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't know if it counts as skipping but Black had unskippable cutscenes so I would change the channel and watch TV for a few minutes. I love that game but that story was completely useless and only served as a barrier to my bullet spraying antics. Killzone 3 is another game I remember skipping lots of cutscenes for basically the same reason. I remember towards the end I started watching them again, and after seeing the ending scene I realize that I should have kept on skipping.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

unless I've died or the games crashed and I have to watch them again I will never skip cutscenes.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By FrankieSpankie

Mostly, there are quite a few games out there with non-existent/horrible stories that I just don't waste my time with. I'll give the story a chance but if it's half way through the game and it's just terrible, I'll start skipping them to finish the game.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but if I start to not care about the story then I'll begin to skip.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your friend is crazy. Also, yes because I spent money on the game, and someone put effort into making them. I do, however, sometimes get that thing where if I have to push a button to advance spoken dialogue, I'll just hit X before the character is finished talking

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than Shank, I can't remember playing a game where I purposely skipped cutscenes that I had not already seen.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

DID YOU GUY NOTICE THE TIMELINE CRAPPED OUT AN HOUR AGO? ~ I'll stop that part, but, weird.

amp_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the first playthrough almost always. The only time I can remember skipping a cut scene on the first playthrough was with Leisure Suit Larry Box Office Bust because I was worried that it I didn't I wouldn't be able to get the trophy for beating the game in under 8 hours and I really couldn't stand the thought of a second playthrough.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Of course. It is rare for me to skip any dialog or cutscenes. The story is part of the game for better or worse. The only time I remember skipping them is the Dishwashers story in the 2nd Dishwasher game. That was bad. Great game otherwise.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes! Always! The only time I skip them is when I die in a section and the checkpoint restarts me at the cutscene.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I always watch cutscenes unless I don't care about the story or the goings-on between the gameplay segments. If I don't care, why waste my time watching any cutscenes?

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch cutscenes, even when I could honestly not give a flying fuck about the stories in most games these days. But they give context to the areas and objectives, so they're still important to make sure the experience is cohesive instead of a disjointed mess.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yes, I my first time through a game.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always watch cutscenes even if I'm replaying a game over again, it's only if I die and the cutscene plays again that I'll skip it. The worst is unskippable cutscenes that play again even after you die and it's usually Sqare Enix of last generation that was the culprit.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Always watch during the first playthrough.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always watch cutscenes. Good story, or bad story, I don't want to miss out on anything plot-related on my first play through.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly watch them at night, mostly.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost always, on second plays i'll skip them but if its a story driven game why wouldn't you.

T1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always watch deleted scenes from Child's Play 2. If thats what you're talking about.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Milkman

Almost always watch them. The only cases I can think of myself skipping them are Kingdoms of Amalur because man, that story is boring and some stuff in Persona 4 Arena when I didn't particularly feel like reading a novel.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#72  Edited By Yummylee

Yes, of course. (Your vote)

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By kidman

I give them a chance, but if they're dumb (in a bad way) I skip them and play for the gameplay itself.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes, i always watch cutscenes. i had a friend who skipped them. one thing i don't get is why skip them.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

one thing i don't get is why skip them.

Impatience, ADD, being bored of the concept - pick one.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't fathom skipping cutscenes on a first playthrough, but then again I'm really into video game stories.

Depends on the game, I play JRPGs a lot; sometimes I walk into another room if a cutscene is exceedingly laborious. There's only one cutscene I skipped outright since the game was way overdoing an upcoming incredibly obvious twist and it got too damn annoying; can't remember which game it was at this point. On runs through DMC4 after the first I skipped every cutscene except this one:

Loading Video...

I really need to get into replaying this game. I don't even remember this scene, but it reminds me of why I loved Devil May Cry and Dante.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skip most cutscenes. What I'm going to see will just make me roll my eyes anyway.

Swick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

First playthrough only. But after that, you need to be able to skip whenever you like.

Avatar image for deactivated-649e6d7f86ede
deactivated-649e6d7f86ede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always watch the first time. The games I replay are usually RPGs or other games where your choices make a difference (like the KotOR games and TOR), so I at least sit through the cutscenes that are different. I think I've only outright skipped cutscenes when replaying games for nostalgia's sake, or games where the story has already proven itself to be stupid in an extremely uninteresting way and I just want to get through the game as quickly as possible and be done with it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

With an OCD obsession. Same with in game dialogue.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Ares42

Too many games these days are made for the cutscenes, and the ones that aren't generally don't have very intrusive cutscenes. I can't see how anyone would find most modern games interesting if they skipped all cutscenes.

Damn, re-reading that I just realized that cutscenes have become the gaming equivalent of special effects in movies....

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skip cutscenes if I'm playing a demo or I'm playing through a 2nd time or something but I do generally watch all cutscenes. I actually hate cutscenes or parts in games where you can't do anything and are forced to watch, even if it's trivial.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#83  Edited By Yummylee

@themanwithnoplan said:

With an OCD obsession. Same with in game dialogue.

Oh God, I 9/10 times will listen to everything that's being said too, even with subtitles on. I can remember attempting this endeavour with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning... I musta spent like 15 hours across what I played purely listening to generic expository dialogue.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#84  Edited By eccentrix

I don't even skip kill cams.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I do, I always do. Even sometimes on the 2nd playthrough.