• 52 results
#1 Posted by liquiddragon (230 posts) -

The enthusiast crowd, specifically the enthusiast press seems to be all about Titanfall and to a smaller degree, Destiny. For someone who's only seen bits of gameplay videos, I think they do look fun but I'm not quite sold on the hype these games are creating.

My take is that we rarely see those mega blockbuster mainstream games coming. I don't think anyone thought the original Halo would change console FPS's and single-highhandedly keep Xbox afloat. I don't think anyone thought Call of Duty 4 would be more than another competent shooter and I don't think anyone thought Pokemon would be an industry thriving to this day.

I don't know if the mainstream knows or cares about what Titanall is.

So what are your thoughts on the future of these titles? Can EA and Activation spend marketing dollars to the top? Do you think we'll remember much about them by next winter?

#2 Edited by xyzygy (9944 posts) -

From what I've seen so far, Destiny looks like a super-lite Borderlands. Titanfall looks a lot more interesting but it's multiplayer only. They both have aspects that are unappealing to me. Not that I hate Borderlands, in fact I love it, it's just that it looks a little shallow.

#3 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

I was originally quite ho-hum on Titanfall. It just looked like CoD with robots with the aesthetic from Blacklight but then I played it and had an absolute blast. If Titanfall is the next big game, MS could sell a lot of consoles because of it. Just look at CoD now. Despite being available on everything, the 360 has the largest audience for that game.

As for Destiny, I think that game looks really cool but I'm pretty bummed out that there's no PC release especially as Bungie are billing this as being a 10 year game.

#4 Edited by Zeik (2362 posts) -

I'm more interested in Titanfall than I ever was in CoD, but probably not enough to want to play it, especially being multiplayer only. Destiny seems a lot more interesting. If it works as advertised it could be pretty cool. Again, more interested in that game than I ever was in Halo, but also enough to want to play it.

@xyzygy said:

From what I've seen so far, Destiny looks like a super-lite Borderlands. Titanfall looks a lot more interesting but it's multiplayer only.

Destiny doesn't seem all that Borderlands-y to me, although even if it is, the way multiplayer is supposed to be handled sounds way better than Borderlands. I like Borderlands, but I absolutely hate the way it handles multiplayer.

#5 Edited by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

i dont think anyone is saying destiny is going to be the next halo, but theyre excited about the idea. same with titanfall.. if those two are executed well they will be amazing games.

wait to see more about it.

destiny has been worked on by bungie as their main thing since after halo 3. we have only seen "side projects" from them during that time. i am not going to be playing titanfall for a while.

PS: are you someone who doesnt like FPS games because you dont know how to aim?

#6 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (384 posts) -

Nothing I've seen of either game matches up with the reactions to them, especially Titanfall. Titanfall just looks like parkour Call of Duty with big robots that aren't fundamentally different from the regular dudes and Destiny looks like Bungie played a bunch of Borderlands. They'll both probably end up being pretty good(and I am relatively excited to play Destiny), but I just don't get what it is that's getting people so pumped.

#7 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

I think the pedigree behind these two games is what has everyone at least cautiously optimistic. If they were being made by other people, they wouldn't be getting the attention they are now, but the guys who made Halo and COD4 kind of deserve the benefit of the doubt.

#8 Edited by RazielCuts (2949 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

From what I've seen so far, Destiny looks like a super-lite Borderlands. Titanfall looks a lot more interesting but it's multiplayer only. They both have aspects that are unappealing to me. Not that I hate Borderlands, in fact I love it, it's just that it looks a little shallow.

This is how I feel about things. I really hope that Destiny is much more than a Bungie version of Borderlands. I'll give Bungie credit, they can create vast worlds with lore so we'll see. Titanfall wows in a demo situation and looks good on video but I really wonder the staying power if its purely just another multiplayer FPS, albeit it a cool looking one with mechs and parkour-ish elements.

#9 Edited by TruthTellah (8777 posts) -

I like videogames. These look like they might be fun videogames. So, instead of the usual cynicism that permeates almost every aspect of videogame chatter, I kind of appreciate just having a bit of hype and saying, "Ya know what? I sure hope these games are really cool. I'd love it if that were the case."

#10 Posted by Zeik (2362 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

I think the pedigree behind these two games is what has everyone at least cautiously optimistic. If they were being made by other people, they wouldn't be getting the attention they are now, but the guys who made Halo and COD4 kind of deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I find that funny given that if anything their pedigree would turn me off of those games. If those games end up just being more CoD or Halo then I have zero interest.

#11 Posted by liquiddragon (230 posts) -

@tarsier: It's true I'm not really into fps's at all or any good at them but I can get into one once in a blue moon. I'm just wondering if these games really have the mainstream appeal they are positioning themselves as. Are they the games other developers will imitate this round of generation.

#12 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

I think Destiny looks bad. Titanfall could be okay, but there are a lot of multiplayer shooters out there.

#13 Edited by cmblasko (1193 posts) -

Titanfall yeah, Destiny I am still skeptical of. Like you said OP it's not looking too different from Borderlands.

#14 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

Titanfall looks like a competitive multiplayer shooter to me and that turns me right off. Destiny looks fun. I like the way Bungie does shooters and if they can nail that MMO feel they're going for I'm sure I'll love it.

#15 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Neither of them are grabbing me personally. I'm not a big shooter guy though. I get my fix from tf2 from time to time but that's about it. A Borderlands game that's actually good could be interesting. So I'm kind of interested in Destiny, but it not coming to PC means I won't be playing it so it's hard to get excited for something I won't get to play.

#16 Edited by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@zeik: Well I think the hope is that they won't just be more Halo or COD. By breaking from those franchises, they are able to break that mold and try something different. Even if you don't love Halo or COD, you can't deny that they are the two most influential FPS games for consoles.

#17 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Really excited for Titanfall.

Destiny doesn't interest me at all, it looks nice but everything I've seen of it just looks OK.

#18 Posted by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

Destiny: not sure yet. I do get that Borderlands vibe from it, and I hate Borderlands (don't kill me!)

Titanfall: definitely overhyped. Mechs look cool, but honestly, it just seems like another FPS to me. Maybe it will be the CoD killer this year though, given how Ghosts is.

#19 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I played a round of Titanfall at PAX. I had fun. I have some doubts over the longevity of some of the systems in place. Does having AI cannon fodder really improve the experience? Will their vaunted integration of story elements around multiplayer matches make people care about the universe? Will said story elements get old if you play match after match after match? But at the end of the day, I had fun. And really, all it needs to succeed is to be The Big FPS whenever it comes out.

As far as the other big franchises go, Halo 5 is somewhere far off, and another Call of Duty game will be released late next year. Battlefield will be running on expansions for at least another year, maybe two. So Titanfall has a shot at being the de facto next generation shooter when it's released, and that may be enough for it.

On top of that, games are *expensive* to make. So I'm sure they have a plan to keep injecting the thing with life as the months go on.

Destiny I'm less sure of. I feel the Borderlands-ish sentiment. But I didn't play Borderlands for the combat (I thought it was boring). It was all about the stupidity of seeing colored numbers fly off of dudes' heads like confetti. If Destiny expands on the silliness of four Master Chiefs running around wreaking havoc with the combat that makes Halo, well, Halo, I can get behind that.

#20 Edited by theveej (826 posts) -

I am super hyped about Titanfall, at PAX it looked great. I have a lot of faith in Bungie, but Destiny is def a wait for the reviews kind of game for me.

#21 Edited by Zeik (2362 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

@zeik: Well I think the hope is that they won't just be more Halo or COD. By breaking from those franchises, they are able to break that mold and try something different. Even if you don't love Halo or COD, you can't deny that they are the two most influential FPS games for consoles.

Sure, but that doesn't really mean anything to me. Being influential has no relevance to whether they can make a game I want to buy. My interest in those games is based purely on their own merits as games.

#22 Edited by EricSmith (318 posts) -

Titanfall, yes. Destiny, No. The only thing that has looked interesting about Destiny so far is the Bungie name.

#23 Edited by Tom_omb (386 posts) -

While the mechs and jet packs in Titanfall are neat, it always kind of looked like any other shooter to me.

I'm much more interested in Destiny, but some thing about it smells fishy to me. When the first announced it there was little to no game play footage, but EB Games had in store displays calling for preorders from the earliest days. Even now we've seen very little, including multiple different commentaries on the same demo. I don't believe games press has had any hands on time with it either. I hope my worries amount to nothing (or a delay, at most) and not to a bad game.

Titanfall looks like another competitive arena multiplayer game. Coming out of E3 the games that really excited me about the next generation were these passive persistent games like Destiny and the Division. I like a game where I can stand around and do nothing with my friends, explore a world, or goof around without the pressure of being competitive.

#24 Edited by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

I like videogames. These look like they might be fun videogames. So, instead of the usual cynicism that permeates almost every aspect of videogame chatter, I kind of appreciate just having a bit of hype and saying, "Ya know what? I sure hope these games are really cool. I'd love it if that were the case."

Amen. The "cautious cynicism" that seems to exist everywhere in this industry is almost depressing sometimes. Makes me wish I was a kid again, with an SNES & Genesis in my bedroom, and the only negative chatter was the kid down the street saying he could beat me in Super Street Fighter II.

#25 Posted by crithon (3126 posts) -

Titanfall maybe, the designs and the whole speed of it look appealing. But Destiny, no, god no, no, no no no no. They still have that whole Halo floaty jumps, maybe if the whole raid thing works, maybe. Destiny seriously needs better ads then Halo 3 ads.

#26 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@zeik said:

@e30bmw said:

Sure, but that doesn't really mean anything to me. Being influential has no relevance to whether they can make a game I want to buy. My interest in those games is based purely on their own merits as games.

And that's a totally valid opinion to have. I'm just trying to explain the hype around the games. I'm kind of excited for both of them because COD4 might be my favorite game ever and I really enjoy the Halo games despite never owning an Xbox.

#27 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

I'm not usually interested in multiplayer games so neither game really appeals to me. I like the idea of Titanfall, the parkour the mechs, the battlefield. If it had a single player campaign, I don't believe it does, I would be more interested in it. As it stands now it doesn't have anything for me. Neither seem to be designed for someone who likes to game alone.

#28 Edited by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

@liquiddragon said:

@tarsier: It's true I'm not really into fps's at all or any good at them but I can get into one once in a blue moon. I'm just wondering if these games really have the mainstream appeal they are positioning themselves as. Are they the games other developers will imitate this round of generation.

theres someone who makes the videos for bungie, they always have some cheesy overhypey vibes. they make it sound like their programmers are legendary war heroes in the documentaries.. wait to see how it turns out and try it yourself. i bet it will be great (halo + dark souls/journey + mass effect + noby noby boy) come on!

#29 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I believe in the hype for Titanfall, Destiny has gotten a little over-hyped by some people, but it'll probably still be really good.

#30 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Titanfall looks like a gimmick version of CoD. Which might be all it needs to be to be great.

Am i mistaken in thinking that Destiny just sorta looks like a less annoying Borderlands?

#31 Posted by HatKing (5886 posts) -

Titanfall, noooooope. I'm not picking up as much hype for Destiny, but I'm not looking for it either. I kind of avoid video coverage outside of GiantBomb's original content at this point, so I think I dodge a lot of the blown up bullshit. Because of that Destiny still seems a little quaint and interesting. That, and the fact that it looks like a Borderlands with all the obnoxious asshattery stripped out.

#32 Posted by Kain55 (124 posts) -

Destiny does look a bit like Borderlands, but Bungie designing it hopefully means that the gunplay won't be complete garbage. I can't stand Borderlands because of the way it plays. The universe of Destiny also seems pretty interesting to me. We also haven't seen the competitive multiplayer for Destiny yet, and I trust Bungie to create great multiplayer.

Titanfall just looks like good fun. The wall running and jetpacks seems really cool, and I'd like to see how it feels when you're in a mech. The guys who created CoD4 have my trust for now, and the same goes for the creators of Halo.

#33 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4193 posts) -

I'm more excited for Destiny than Titanfall. But if I can rope my cousins into either, rather than just CoD: Ghosts, that'd be so awesome! :D

And from what I remember, Destiny is supposed to last a mighty-fine ten years. That its supposed to go Destiny, a 'Comet' expansion in 2015, Destiny 2, 'Comet' 2, etc. So fuck yea, I'm excited!

And then Halo 5. :)

#34 Posted by EchoEcho (822 posts) -

I'm not sure how we're supposed to know if something is over-hyped before we've gotten our hands on the final product. A lot of what makes a game good or bad can come down to the "feel" of it while playing, which is something you're not going to get looking at screen shots and video clips. For instance, a lot of people think Titanfall looks like a generic, CoD-like FPS with mechs, yet the people who have played it at places like PAX have almost universally come away extremely impressed.

Personally, I think both games show a lot of promise, mostly because they look fun to play, and they're both talented developers with award-winning games under their belt, who are clearly excited to be getting the opportunity to work on new ideas and IPs. In Destiny's case, I think calling it "Borderlands-lite" is maybe a bit premature, considering the game was at least in the planning stages even before Halo 3: ODST shipped, and the intended ten-year lifespan would seem to indicate they have big plans for the franchise.

#35 Edited by chrissedoff (2082 posts) -

Both of these video games look killer. It only stinks that I'll likely pass on the Xbox One for a year or two and buy a Playstation 4 instead, which means I'll miss out on Titanfall.

#36 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I think Destiny looks rad.

Titanfall looks Call of Duty with mechs and wall jumping. Not there's anything wrong with that. It looks fun! I'm just not really seeing whatever it is about the game that has the games press so infatuated with it.

#37 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

I like the art design of Destiny way more, but I'll have to see way more gameplay from both before I really know what to think of either.

#38 Edited by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

Fuck you fuckers! Borderlands is superb. Anyway... I'm somewhat excited for Titanfall, but I've seen so little of it, and most of what I've heard is from gaming press who hardly ever play competitive multiplayer. It's the same people that complain about running out into the middle of the map and dying over and over. I sort of take any "hype" with a grain a salt from those people. That being said, I could really use a competitive shooter that mixes things up and sheds away the tropes of conventional entries in the genre. Destiny looks awfully pretty, but outside of that, I'm not chomping at the bit just yet. The gameplay seems a bit slow, and like Titanfall, I've only seen very little controlled demos of it.

What I'm saying is that nobody should be super hyped until we get closer to those games coming out.

#39 Edited by kishinfoulux (2282 posts) -

I keep seeing Patrick and others saying Destiny doesn't seem to have a direction or identity which makes no sense to me. Titanfall looks super fun, but it's COD, with mechs. I think it will be better for mindless, bonkers fun, but I think Destiny will be the better game overall. The MMO-ish aspect, co-op, loot, classes, etc. and all that make Destiny super appealing to me.

But fuck it they're both gonna be amazing so who cares?

I believe in the hype for Titanfall, Destiny has gotten a little over-hyped by some people, but it'll probably still be really good.

I don't think Destiny has much hype at all honestly. Not compared to Titanfall anyways.

#40 Posted by SasquatchRuby (68 posts) -

Destiny - I expect to not live up to the hype but still be good

Titan Fall - people have actually played it and say it is awesome - long term play may show some weaknesses

#41 Edited by TruthTellah (8777 posts) -

This is videogames.

Sometimes ya just gotta believe.

#42 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Titanfall looks good but not game changing, just FPS with some mech suits and some slightly more vertical gameplay.

Destiny is interesting and more ambitious to me.

#43 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

Shooting aliens with some friends to a Marty O'Donnell tune sounds like a pretty fucking good time to me.

#44 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5414 posts) -

I'm super hyped (cautiously optimistic) for both Destiny and Titanfall. They're both potentially doing things I can really get behind.

#45 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4946 posts) -

The more i see of Destiny the more i saw meh. I got a beta key so why not give it a try.

TitanFall looks Tits

#46 Posted by Waffles13 (609 posts) -

I still think Call of Duty is a pretty fun game to play despite all the repetition from game to game, so you say you're adding jetpacks and robots, I'm on board. The fact that there is no single player is kind of a bummer, but if they can incorporate even a minor plot around the multiplayer that could be a really good incentive to keep playing (and honestly, does anyone play the COD campaigns after the first or maybe second times?).

Destiny is being billed as a big, new universe, and as someone who adores the Halo fiction, I will never trust Bungie again after Halo: Reach. The story decisions and retcons in that game are both so huge and so unnecessary that it was actually somewhat offensive to me as someone who has followed that series since the beginning. Maybe Destiny will be awesome to play, but I have zero faith in Bungie to keep the story compelling, especially if they intend to stretch it out over a decade like they claim.

#47 Posted by cbk486 (181 posts) -

I think that Destiny looks cool, but I 'm really bummed about the lack of a PC release. Anyone else in the same boat?

#48 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

They should both be good. Titanfall is an extension to the character move set, while still being in line with popular MP shooting practices. The extra movement might improve the games in terms of adding more strategic options and making it less oriented toward camping. Destiny could be the borderlands 1 sci-fi MMO; anytime wide multiplayer is added to a existing genre that is implemented with good mechanics there is potential.

Destiny seems to be ambitious, but how well it goes over might also depend on a lot on preferences for co-op type options vs. strictly deathmatch.

#49 Posted by KarlPilkington (2716 posts) -

Having played Titanfall last month, yes I believe the hype.

#50 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Titanfall without a doubt yes. I'm a little more skeptical in regards to Destiny though and this is coming from a massive Bungie fan. I like what they're trying to do but I can't help but feel that it's kind of, I don't know, bland?