• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

#2 Edited by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

I'm really curious to see how the GiantBomb community feels. Can we really, truly put Gerstmann-gate to rest?

Do you think that, because the interview was being held at GameSpot's offices, Jeff's explanation leaves something to be desired?

Mods, please leave this poll open even if you gotta close the thread. I just wanna see some numbers. Pretty please?

#3 Posted by AngeTheDude (672 posts) -

This is just asking to be closed but it seemed sincere enough. Also, enough time has passed that maybe some NDAs are up. Jeff has always been straight with us and I don't see that changing.

#4 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

Can you imagine Jeff Gerstmann not telling you the straight-up truth about something?

I dare you to watch this video and then say yes:

#5 Posted by TurboMan (7538 posts) -

Please don't tell me people are thinking it's a conspiracy and are thinking that Gamespot is forcing Jeff not to tell "the real" truth.

#6 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Why would he lie?

#7 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

No. I have insider info that it is because Jeff came in naked one day and started masturbating in front of Ryan McDonald while singing "I Got You Girl" by 504 Boyz.

#8 Posted by NegativeCero (3001 posts) -

Yeah, I mean why lie at this point? It serves no purpose if they want to put the past behind them if people are given a reason to be suspicious of their explanation.

#9 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

He confirmed the well known unofficial story. The one extra detail was that he had previous complaints about low scores due to ad revenue pressure.

#10 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I still maintain that it was a sex scandal, not any sort of review controversy.

#11 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

If you can't trust Jeff at this point, you're too far gone to the internet.

#12 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

Why would he lie? The whole terms of these companies working in the same building was that they got to finally reveal what happened.

#13 Posted by Potter9156 (941 posts) -

Why would he lie?

I voted no.

#14 Posted by Deusx (1904 posts) -

Why wouldn't you? Jeff is an honest duder.

#15 Posted by Jimbo7676 (716 posts) -

Considering it happened in the worst case scenario way that everyone though it did, yah they are telling the truth. Maybe it wasn't the immediate firing after the review went up like everyone said but what does that matter? Jeff got shit canned because he stood behind his people and his own editorial integrity. The management folded to pressure from Eidos Interactive (fuck you Eidos by the way) and those people are no longer there. Jeff LOST HIS JOB rather than fold to this crap. He is not going to lie like that. I'm excited for the future of GB. I am worried CBS might grate against this site over time but the team's personal integrity will not be compromised. In the mean time, GB has cameras and access to a huge office building. Shennanigans are most certainly going to ensue.

#16 Posted by Brendan (7805 posts) -

If you vote "no" then why are you here? If you don't trust a guy whose reputation for honesty is his backbone, on whose job requires honesty, then there is no logical reason for you to even be looking at this poll.

#17 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

It was always going to be a disappointing explanation, nothing could live up to the hype that was generated behind that story.

#18 Posted by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

Sure, why not?  Also, don't care too much.

#19 Edited by Irvandus (2878 posts) -

@TurboMan said:

Please don't tell me people are thinking it's a conspiracy and are thinking that Gamespot is forcing Jeff not to tell "the real" truth.

See Jeff was actually hallucinating, really he was being indoctrinated by the reapers and the Gamespot virtual set is a manifestation of the choices he has to make while he fights it.

Now that that's out of the way I agree 100% with Turbo.

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10999 posts) -

Yes.

#21 Posted by bombastius (48 posts) -

My take on it is that its mostly true but some details and stuff are muffled or simply not talked about to make the best face possible during the circumstances. I man its obvious they'd have to say something about it after the announcement to make people feel nice and cosy but I doubt its 100% accurate all the way , corners are probably cut and so on. I dunno if its something sinister behind it or anything might just be this is the way they think that most of the people will understand it the best. Personally though i think that companies of the world have to grow up and stop hiding stuff like this, signing contracts of silence and shit like this is feels pretty archaic to me , if you fire someone you should be able to stand for that from day one not 5 years down the line

#22 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -

It was pretty much a non-issue once they started Giant Bomb. I mean, right? It equates to little more than gossip now.  

Not to belittle this thread. I mean, it is important, obviously. But still. 

#23 Posted by CornBREDX (5256 posts) -

The fact they they admitted losing ad revenue had a part in it tells me they are were telling the truth 110% as they know it. 
That and I know Jeff is trustworthy. 

The dudes that fired him are fucking morons, though. Jeff can be as nice about it as he wants.

#24 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

The real reason they fired Jeff was because of all the hookers and blow he had in the office.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9697 posts) -

@Panpipe:

I didn't see it. What was the explanation?

#26 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

Why would he lie? Jeff is an honest dude.

#27 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Panpipe:

Exactly what everyone's assumed for the last few years.

#28 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No, because I don't know what it is.

#29 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (451 posts) -

i've trusted Jeff for many years with his reviews, his blogs, energy drinks tests, leading me to the glory that is Darksiders...no reason to stop trusting him now

#30 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@august said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Panpipe:

Yep. Plus that there was some friction before with the new management. That's basically it. Just wthat everyone assumed.

#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9697 posts) -

@august said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Panpipe:

Oh...then yes.

#32 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Of course. He pretty much laid out the worst-case scenario. He was fired because they couldn't trust him to not lose them money. It sounds like, in other words, they didn't want him telling the truth about how he feels about games that have advertising money going to Gamespot so they got rid of him.

That is what I took from it anyway. Which sucks, cause you know that if it happened somewhere it probably happens elsewhere. Not like I bothered with reviews much anyway.

#33 Posted by reversethedevil (99 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror: because he signed a nondisclosure agreement and isn't legally allowed to talk about it.

#34 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Why would you not? Sure, they didn't go into the tiny minutiae details but it's pretty much what everyone already knew.

#35 Posted by UitDeToekomst (714 posts) -

where is the "don't give a shit one way or the other" option?

#36 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@reversethedevil said:

@ShadowConqueror: because he signed a nondisclosure agreement and isn't legally allowed to talk about it.

A non-disclosure agreement with... GASP Gamespot.

#37 Edited by Mcfart (1624 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

Of course. He pretty much laid out the worst-case scenario. He was fired because they couldn't trust him to not lose them money. It sounds like, in other words, they didn't want him telling the truth about how he feels about games that have advertising money going to Gamespot so they got rid of him.

That is what I took from it anyway. Which sucks, cause you know that if it happened somewhere it probably happens elsewhere. Not like I bothered with reviews much anyway.

This. I mean that was a pretty bad 2007 picture he posted about Gamespot's legitimacy, because whoever replaced him as the Editer Chief had to deal with the same pressure from management.

In other words, I wouldn't trust their 2007 reviews from after Jeff left.

#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15945 posts) -

Yeah, because he doesn't say anything that people didn't know.

#39 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

It's the truth. Nuff' said.

#40 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I thought the most interesting thing about it was that the new review system actually lowered Gamespot's review aggregate by a full point. Although I'm surprised that Ratchet & Clank Future, a game he didn't review, caused him trouble.

#41 Posted by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -

@Panpipe said:

Can you imagine Jeff Gerstmann not telling you the straight-up truth about something?

That was, quite literally, the greatest thing I've ever seen.

#42 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Well, yeah. I mean, he confirmed what we pretty much already knew.

#43 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Yes I do.

#44 Posted by MiniPato (2737 posts) -

No I don't. He's playing lapdog to Gamespot to cover up their involvement in 9/11. Trust no one!

#45 Edited by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@Panpipe said:

That's the best video Giant Bomb has ever done. I double dogg dare anyone to beat that!

Edit. I voted yes.

#46 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Why the hell wouldn't I?

I ain't a crazy person.

#47 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

In Jeff I trust.

#48 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (399 posts) -

Yes. No reason not to.

#49 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

UhUhUhUhUh.

#50 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

Only a complete jackass would not believe him.