#1 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2307 posts) -
#2 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

The internet was invented, making them useless

#3 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

I used to collect them side by side with my favorite games. I don't any more because it's a waste of money and a waste of space.

#4 Posted by Natedogg2 (446 posts) -

Yeah, I don't really see the point of strategy guides with the internet around. Especially since some strategy guides aren't very good (I remember there being a lot of issues with the Mortal Kombat strategy guide).

#5 Posted by bartok (2422 posts) -

I stopped buying Strategy Guides when this thing called the internet became popular.  Though I remember the Final Fantasy strategy guides always having awesome art.  
I

Online
#6 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Lol no. Because Google. Not that I would buy a strategy guide otherwise.

#7 Posted by STUVNING (139 posts) -

Haven't bought one since MGS2.  Don't like using them unless I absolutely have to. Also, Gamefaqs.

#8 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Yup

#9 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Why the crap would I buy a $20 strategy card I need to thumb through instead of just read a faq(gamefaqs.com for example) or acquire a digital version through other means. It's what the other guy said. The internet was invented. Thus rendering expensive strategy guides obsolete.

#10 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I've never bought a strategy guide.  Though my mom was suckered into buying one with StarFox Adventures at a GameStop for my younger brother.  That's the only strategy guide that has ever been in my house.

#11 Posted by TekZero (2663 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

The internet was invented, making them useless

Exactly. 
#12 Posted by LinusPauling (62 posts) -
@defaulttag

I used to collect them side by side with my favorite games. I don't any more because it's a waste of money and a waste of space.

Same. This was back in elementary and middle school for me, when money was useless and meant to be wasted in this manner.
#13 Edited by Pie (7054 posts) -

The oblivion and Fallout 3 guides were excellent. Fallout 3 for example had a section on every single landmark no matter how small and detailed everything you would find there. They provided things the internet can't 
 
My FF7 guide was pretty cool aswell

#14 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

I didnt have the internet previously so i bought guides for long games like the final fantasy series. Nowadays ill only buy a guide if its got 'Collectors edition' on the cover somewhere.

#15 Posted by bslayer (221 posts) -

i only buy certain ones like the elder scrolls specifically. i like to just have them. i prefer to figure stuff out on my own and deal with the consequences, but some games i just like to have as much stuff as i can for it.

#16 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

It's been a tradition of mine to buy Final Fantasy strategy guides.

#17 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2307 posts) -
Admittedly yes, they are practically useless for info, since it's a lot more convenient to pull up a laptop and take a trip over to gamefaqs. However, I do think they make good collectors items for those who love the game they are made for. I think a lot of strategy guides  nowadays are incredibly crappy and lazy though, making the extra $20 seem out of the question. With the exception of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls guides. As mentioned by @Pie.
 
#18 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

no, i don't buy them anymore. it's because of the internet. people have post videos on the internet and guides.

#19 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

I do if they have lots off cool stuff in them, like the Mass Effect 2 collectors edition guide had all kinds of art and interviews and stuff. I love that kind of thing.

And Pokemon and Zelda. It's just been a tradition since I was a kid to always get the guides for them. Pokemon Black is the first one I went into without the guide.

#20 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I have a Fallout 3 strategy guide that came with the game, and a Modern Warfare 2 strategy guide my mom got me for Christmas (not useful at all, but it's the thought that counts). 
 
EDIT:  Forgot about the Animal Crossing strategy guide that came with my Nintendo Power subscription back in the day.  I didn't have a computer or internet then so it was actually extremely nice to have. 
 
So technically I've never bought a strategy guide...
#21 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

I have never ever purchased a strategy guide. I have used the internet for FAQs but never a physical copy of a book or anything. No game has ever needed it.

#22 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

The internet was invented, making them useless

QFT
#23 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Turtlebird95 said:

Admittedly yes, they are practically useless for info, since it's a lot more convenient to pull up a laptop and take a trip over to gamefaqs. However, I do think they make good collectors items for those who love the game they are made for. I think a lot of strategy guides  nowadays are incredibly crappy and lazy though, making the extra $20 seem out of the question. With the exception of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls guides. As mentioned by @Pie.
 


You're not more intelligent than anyone else, your opinion isn't more important, and best of all - no one gives a fuck what you have to say. Take off the bold, don't be a douche bag.
#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

Yup.

#25 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

The internet was invented, making them useless

Pretty much this.
#26 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I only buy a strategy guide for a game I like if I like the art or if it has nice detailed maps.

#27 Posted by Nentisys (886 posts) -

Meh, player made guides are always better. I have never bought a strategy guide.

#28 Posted by Willin (1279 posts) -

I only ever bought the Oblivion guide and I just like having a big giant book for everything I need just sitting there on my lap without a laptop or desktop to run back to.

#29 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

@Sayishere said:

I didnt have the internet previously so i bought guides for long games like the final fantasy series. Nowadays ill only buy a guide if its got 'Collectors edition' on the cover somewhere.

They usually have high quality hardback covers with interesting cover designs, so I agree, although I only do it for RPG's for which I have an intense love of.

I got one for Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and I'll be getting one for Skyrim too. Just me, the game, no internet access allowed (as I get distracted easily on the internet) and my game guide book that I only go to in the most extreme situation of not knowing what to do next. I refuse to look at at unless I'm absolutely desperate because I find it sucks the fun out of the game and you then annoyingly start feeling dependant on the game guide to help you get the best outcome in any given in-game situation, when I actually just want to make a decision, right or wrong (and even stupid or smart) save that decision and then move on. More authentic this way.

EDIT: Sorry I rambled, it's saturday so I have more time on my hands. :-)

#30 Posted by Pie (7054 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
@Turtlebird95 said:

Admittedly yes, they are practically useless for info, since it's a lot more convenient to pull up a laptop and take a trip over to gamefaqs. However, I do think they make good collectors items for those who love the game they are made for. I think a lot of strategy guides  nowadays are incredibly crappy and lazy though, making the extra $20 seem out of the question. With the exception of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls guides. As mentioned by @Pie.
 

You're not more intelligent than anyone else, your opinion isn't more important, and best of all - no one gives a fuck what you have to say. Take off the bold, don't be a douche bag.
I think he was typing in bold because he replied to me which makes bold text appear and because the text editor is kinda broke it stays bold
#31 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

I don't buy strategy guides generally, however pokemon ones are awesome in general.

#32 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2307 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx
 
I didn't intentionally make it bold, you know. I was typing up a reply to someone when I deleted the reply and started typing that above statement. 
 
Oh and just some advice: Next time, don't phrase it like such a jerk. Instead of telling me I'm trash because I simply used bold, you should have simply stated that bold is an unnecessary attention grabber.
#33 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

I remember buying the strategy guide for Ocarina of Time way back when, because it had some beautiful art.

#34 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

The internet was invented, making them useless

#35 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -

I usually just buy Strategy Guides for RPGs and that's it.  I used to buy them all the time, but then I stopped.

#36 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2307 posts) -
@Toxin066 said:

I remember buying the strategy guide for Ocarina of Time way back when, because it had some beautiful art.

Just curious, but do you remember which strategy guide that was from? I've got like 3 or 4 different Ocarina guides and perhaps I have that one.
#37 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Toxin066 said:

I remember buying the strategy guide for Ocarina of Time way back when, because it had some beautiful art.

Just curious, but do you remember which strategy guide that was from? I've got like 3 or 4 different Ocarina guides and perhaps I have that one.

I have the Official Players Guide by nintendo and The Perfect Guide by Versus games.

#38 Posted by AquaGeneral (122 posts) -

If I so happened to have spare money while buying a game I love dearly which so happens to also have a strategy guide, then maybe I would pick that up as well. But I honestly cannot think of anytime that has been the case for me - the only strategy guides I've ever touched are ones that my brother bought.

#39 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2307 posts) -
@Toxin066 said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Toxin066 said:

I remember buying the strategy guide for Ocarina of Time way back when, because it had some beautiful art.

Just curious, but do you remember which strategy guide that was from? I've got like 3 or 4 different Ocarina guides and perhaps I have that one.

I have the Official Players Guide by nintendo and The Perfect Guide by Versus games.

I just read through the 3 I could find and it's definitely the Perfect Guide. That's some insanely awesome artwork for a strategy guide.
#40 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

@Turtlebird95: Yup, it most certainly is. :)

#41 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

I have never bought one, and never will. If I get stuck I type in the name of the mission or some vague words related to the level I'm at and I can find a way past it in seconds. No need to spend money on some dumb book to do the same thing, but take longer and waste money to do it. The only time I ever got those books, was when they came with the game. I remember buying some Digimon game for my PSX that came with one as a store promo, and when I bought the WoW battlechest it came with two as well.

#42 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -

And on the 247th day of 1998, Google was invented.