• 65 results
Edited 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Do you buy strategy guides? (175 votes)

Yes. 2%
No. 71%
Sometimes, depending on the game. 19%
Only if they are cheap. 2%
Other 3%
"See Results" 2%

Just curious, it seems that there a quite a few hardcover ones coming out soon. Do you guys buy them, if so, do you actually use them to beat the game or just read it for additional content, art (assuming it has any) etc?

#1 Posted by Meltac (1999 posts) -

Never, and I don't intend to.

#2 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -

Never done it and I don't see a reason to buy one when you have an internet connection.

#3 Edited by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Fuck no!

#4 Edited by Petiew (1322 posts) -

I used to, a long time ago. Only good for collection, since online faqs are always more detailed.

#5 Edited by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

I only have two strategy guides; one for Ocarina of Time and one for Pokémon Red/Blue. I bought them maybe about a year after the those games were released so it's a really long time ago.

#6 Edited by OGred (196 posts) -

I used to have the Pokemon Crystal strategy guide and man...that thing was awesome. It had a complete Pokedex and everything! I didn't even know Octillery existed until seeing a photo in that book. Plus Ken Sugimori's art is pretty neat. So yeah, I had 1.

#7 Edited by Pikawai (135 posts) -

No, the Internet gives me a ton of guides for free.

#8 Edited by HH (595 posts) -

i bought the one for dragon age origins. it contains no useful strategy, but it reinforces my nerdology.

#9 Edited by iam3green (14390 posts) -

no, i havn't bought one in a long time. there is no point now since there is internet.

#10 Posted by SMTDante89 (2541 posts) -

Not anymore. I've been tempted a few times if they come with DLC or something really cool, but I haven't since 2007 or so. No real need when you have websites with walkthroughs and videos to help you through some tougher sections and to find some collectibles.

#11 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2285 posts) -

I remember making this thread a long time ago and 95% of the answers I got were sarcastic "the internet" comments. I'd expect this to have the same.

But on cereal business I don't buy them much anymore. Mostly due to them becoming thinner and less helpful, and most games nowadays don't really need them. I've got a pretty decent collection (I'd say) of strategy guides for older games, and I've got a shitload of different Ocarina of Time guides.

#12 Posted by Pr1mus (3780 posts) -

No.

I used to for certain types of games a decade or more ago but even for completionists they aren't needed anymore with every other resources available.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

Yes for some games but not really to even use them I bought the Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Age 2 guides simply because they were hardback and awesome looking books that you could totally put on your coffee table without it looking too tacky and be something game related. Seriously, Piggyback does AWESOME hardback guides. And their hardbacks are almost always individually numbered as they usually only do one run of them. Great stuff.

#14 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

lol

#15 Edited by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

If it's a really nice one, yeah. Most of the time, though, nope.

#16 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Ssj4raditz The bioshock infinite one looks really nice and it comes with a neat keychain! I can't bring myself to buy it though, even if it does look nice, haha.

#17 Posted by PurpleMoustache (104 posts) -

I bought the "Special Edition" one for Portal 2 direct from VALVe after beating it. My brother bought me a pre-order as a birthday gift, and I wanted to give VALVe some money, as I enjoyed the game.

Ended up getting it signed by Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS.

#18 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

No, but I can write you some strategy guides.

#19 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

I was just thinking about this this morning. For some reason I own strategy guides for GTA IV, Spiderman 3 and The Last Remnant. I'm pretty sure I bought the TLR guide to ensure I got all the side quests and to get a better grasp on the battle formation mechanics, but am at a loss on the other two. Incidentally, since buying the TLR guide, I haven't touched the game once.

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

Nope. I had bought one or two as a kid (even then I didn't like them). But now my guide is the internet.

#21 Posted by mosespippy (3984 posts) -

Only for huge games, like San Andreas and Final Fantasy XII. There are so many side things to do and raw data in charts and maps that it' really useful. I don't actually read the walk through sections but I do glance through them once I'm done and I'll spot different ways I could have done things or small tips that are useful.

The majority of online guides are junk. Half the time you are looking for very specific minor things that most of the online guides don't have. You end up having to search through two or three guides and use info from them all because they are all so incomplete. Online guides suck.

#22 Posted by Pie (7035 posts) -

The strategy guides for Bethesda games are awesome. I loved my FF7 guide back in the day aswell. You just get detail that you don't find online.

#23 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

Only twice, one was the Twilight Princess collectors edition one which looked really nice. The other was the God of War 2 which came with an awesome art book. But I don't plan on getting any more.

#24 Posted by isomeri (1217 posts) -

Never done it and I don't see a reason to buy one when you have an internet connection.

This.

#25 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1799 posts) -

it was ssooooooo worth it

#26 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6044 posts) -

If it's a game I deeply love, I'll pick up a strategy guide for it, but it has to be super detailed or look purdy, like that hardback New Vegas guide.

#27 Edited by Coafi (1481 posts) -

No. But once in a while when the local game shops start tossing them out, I ask nicely and get them for free. I have a couple of limited editions because of that.

#28 Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -

Use to when I was little but now that I'm smarter I don't need them for help. Also the internet came along.

#29 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#30 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

Fuck no, GameFAQs has been around for almost 18 years.

#31 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -

Sometimes I do, depending on the game. I haven't in a while. They can come in handy though, and have obvious advantages over online guides.

I think the last one I bought was for LittleBigPlanet. It's pretty hard to find all the items in that game.

#32 Edited by JayEH (516 posts) -

I see no need to as there is plenty of youtube videos/wikis out there

#33 Edited by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: That is beyond awesome.

I do not buy strategy guides because I like finding out things like that on my own. For me that is the best part of many games and part of the challenge.

#34 Posted by Clonedzero (4051 posts) -

no. never.

i usually want to figure out, discover and explore games on my own rather than just following a guide.

if im having trouble or think i missed something then the internet exists.

#35 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

Not really. I do sometimes if it is a JRPG that I want to get all the stuff in.

#36 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

No, there are plenty of free guides online that are so much better. GameFAQs, YouTube videos, game wikis, you name it. They're all better than any strategy guide you pay for.

#37 Edited by konig_kei (595 posts) -

My mum used to get me Zelda ones when I was a kid cause she always thought I was skipping shit, but now? Nawww don't need that shit, I'm a real man now.

#38 Edited by AmatureIdiot (1062 posts) -

No, GameFAQs exists and I can't keep filling my flat with old game stuff. Maybe if it was really cheap and I really liked the game, but that situation hasn't come up yet.

#39 Posted by RioStarwind (478 posts) -

I have a ton of old strategy guides that I bought about 10-15 years ago. I stopped at some point when it seemed pointless although I really only bought them to read about the game more than using them to beat it. Some of the best ones really got into the fiction like the Earthbound guide.

#40 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Mainly stick with getting the ones like Skyrim or Fallout3 where there's plenty of depth there in the game to look up online every few minutes. Aside from that I tend to skip these over the art books on a game which I tend to enjoy & get a lot of. Definitely learned over the years if getting a strategy guide in a store I'll look through it first & look at some of the online reviews at Amazon, then get it cheaper online than in the retail stores.

#41 Edited by Svenzon (711 posts) -

I bought the limited edition guide for Diablo 3 cause it looked nice. Kinda regret that now.

Also bought the Dark Souls hintbook, which is kinda useless since they changed a bunch of stuff in patches. Still, it looks cool and the maps are useful. That one I don't regret.

I got the guide for Skyrim with the game. Aside from one puzzle solution being wrong, it has been pretty useful.

#42 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Nope. Used to get the occasional one when I was much younger, to read about the more obscure stuff and easter eggs; it was downright vital to figure out how to properly breed your Digimon in Digimon World so it would evolve into the one you wanted too. There were only so many of these green slimemons and yellow poopmons that I could take! Funnily enough I was also first introduced to the Resident Evil remake by spotting a strategy guide for it in a shop.

#43 Edited by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

The internet exists.

#44 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I used to, when faq's weren't a big thing, but now official game guides are lacking in information and often flat out wrong.

#45 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

I bought one, and that was for Urbz: Sims in the City.

Great game, but that guide was pretty much useless since the game explains everything you need to know.

#46 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

Today? No.

Back when cheat codes were a thing and the only real source to find secrets were through guides? Yes.

#47 Edited by Tackchevy (261 posts) -

I'm a mid-level collector, but I've never branched off into guides. I mostly just stick to interesting LEs and older classics or rarities. In the same general area though, I do often look into art books or other things, such as Xenogears Perfect Works and the like.

I do have the Final Fantasy strategy guide that Nintendo Power sent me in 1989 or 1990 though. So there's that!

#48 Posted by Patman99 (1558 posts) -

I used to back when I didn't have internet (essentially 12+ years ago. Back then EB games would give you a discount if you bought the game and the guide at the same time. Essentially I would pay full price for the game and then get the strategy guide for $10-15. A price certainly worth it for a kid who didn't have internet to look up hints/cheats when he got stuck.

#49 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

The only reason why I even bought them was because they had nice game artwork on some of the pages. For the actual strategy guide, I find forums much more helpful.

#50 Edited by Roger778 (953 posts) -

I used to buy Strategy guides when I was younger, and that was because I hadn't developed my gaming skills yet. Now, I don't do it anymore, and if I truly feel stuck on one part of the game, I go on the Internet to look up the solution.