• 65 results
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By NekuSakuraba

Poll Do you buy strategy guides? (175 votes)

Yes. 2%
No. 71%
Sometimes, depending on the game. 19%
Only if they are cheap. 2%
Other 3%
"See Results" 2%

Just curious, it seems that there a quite a few hardcover ones coming out soon. Do you guys buy them, if so, do you actually use them to beat the game or just read it for additional content, art (assuming it has any) etc?

• 
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Never, and I don't intend to.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never done it and I don't see a reason to buy one when you have an internet connection.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Winternet

Fuck no!

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Petiew

I used to, a long time ago. Only good for collection, since online faqs are always more detailed.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vexxan

I only have two strategy guides; one for Ocarina of Time and one for Pokémon Red/Blue. I bought them maybe about a year after the those games were released so it's a really long time ago.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OGred

I used to have the Pokemon Crystal strategy guide and man...that thing was awesome. It had a complete Pokedex and everything! I didn't even know Octillery existed until seeing a photo in that book. Plus Ken Sugimori's art is pretty neat. So yeah, I had 1.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pikawai

No, the Internet gives me a ton of guides for free.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By HH

i bought the one for dragon age origins. it contains no useful strategy, but it reinforces my nerdology.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

no, i havn't bought one in a long time. there is no point now since there is internet.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Not anymore. I've been tempted a few times if they come with DLC or something really cool, but I haven't since 2007 or so. No real need when you have websites with walkthroughs and videos to help you through some tougher sections and to find some collectibles.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I remember making this thread a long time ago and 95% of the answers I got were sarcastic "the internet" comments. I'd expect this to have the same.

But on cereal business I don't buy them much anymore. Mostly due to them becoming thinner and less helpful, and most games nowadays don't really need them. I've got a pretty decent collection (I'd say) of strategy guides for older games, and I've got a shitload of different Ocarina of Time guides.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

No.

I used to for certain types of games a decade or more ago but even for completionists they aren't needed anymore with every other resources available.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yes for some games but not really to even use them I bought the Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Age 2 guides simply because they were hardback and awesome looking books that you could totally put on your coffee table without it looking too tacky and be something game related. Seriously, Piggyback does AWESOME hardback guides. And their hardbacks are almost always individually numbered as they usually only do one run of them. Great stuff.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

lol

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By ssj4raditz

If it's a really nice one, yeah. Most of the time, though, nope.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ssj4raditz The bioshock infinite one looks really nice and it comes with a neat keychain! I can't bring myself to buy it though, even if it does look nice, haha.

Avatar image for purplemoustache
PurpleMoustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the "Special Edition" one for Portal 2 direct from VALVe after beating it. My brother bought me a pre-order as a birthday gift, and I wanted to give VALVe some money, as I enjoyed the game.

Ended up getting it signed by Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS.

No Caption Provided

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I can write you some strategy guides.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I was just thinking about this this morning. For some reason I own strategy guides for GTA IV, Spiderman 3 and The Last Remnant. I'm pretty sure I bought the TLR guide to ensure I got all the side quests and to get a better grasp on the battle formation mechanics, but am at a loss on the other two. Incidentally, since buying the TLR guide, I haven't touched the game once.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Nope. I had bought one or two as a kid (even then I didn't like them). But now my guide is the internet.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Only for huge games, like San Andreas and Final Fantasy XII. There are so many side things to do and raw data in charts and maps that it' really useful. I don't actually read the walk through sections but I do glance through them once I'm done and I'll spot different ways I could have done things or small tips that are useful.

The majority of online guides are junk. Half the time you are looking for very specific minor things that most of the online guides don't have. You end up having to search through two or three guides and use info from them all because they are all so incomplete. Online guides suck.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The strategy guides for Bethesda games are awesome. I loved my FF7 guide back in the day aswell. You just get detail that you don't find online.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Only twice, one was the Twilight Princess collectors edition one which looked really nice. The other was the God of War 2 which came with an awesome art book. But I don't plan on getting any more.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Never done it and I don't see a reason to buy one when you have an internet connection.

This.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

it was ssooooooo worth it

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

If it's a game I deeply love, I'll pick up a strategy guide for it, but it has to be super detailed or look purdy, like that hardback New Vegas guide.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Coafi

No. But once in a while when the local game shops start tossing them out, I ask nicely and get them for free. I have a couple of limited editions because of that.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Use to when I was little but now that I'm smarter I don't need them for help. Also the internet came along.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshthebear
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck no, GameFAQs has been around for almost 18 years.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Snail

Sometimes I do, depending on the game. I haven't in a while. They can come in handy though, and have obvious advantages over online guides.

I think the last one I bought was for LittleBigPlanet. It's pretty hard to find all the items in that game.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JayEH

I see no need to as there is plenty of youtube videos/wikis out there

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: That is beyond awesome.

I do not buy strategy guides because I like finding out things like that on my own. For me that is the best part of many games and part of the challenge.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no. never.

i usually want to figure out, discover and explore games on my own rather than just following a guide.

if im having trouble or think i missed something then the internet exists.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not really. I do sometimes if it is a JRPG that I want to get all the stuff in.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there are plenty of free guides online that are so much better. GameFAQs, YouTube videos, game wikis, you name it. They're all better than any strategy guide you pay for.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By konig_kei

My mum used to get me Zelda ones when I was a kid cause she always thought I was skipping shit, but now? Nawww don't need that shit, I'm a real man now.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Levius

No, GameFAQs exists and I can't keep filling my flat with old game stuff. Maybe if it was really cheap and I really liked the game, but that situation hasn't come up yet.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#39 riostarwind  Moderator

I have a ton of old strategy guides that I bought about 10-15 years ago. I stopped at some point when it seemed pointless although I really only bought them to read about the game more than using them to beat it. Some of the best ones really got into the fiction like the Earthbound guide.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Mainly stick with getting the ones like Skyrim or Fallout3 where there's plenty of depth there in the game to look up online every few minutes. Aside from that I tend to skip these over the art books on a game which I tend to enjoy & get a lot of. Definitely learned over the years if getting a strategy guide in a store I'll look through it first & look at some of the online reviews at Amazon, then get it cheaper online than in the retail stores.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#41  Edited By Svenzon

I bought the limited edition guide for Diablo 3 cause it looked nice. Kinda regret that now.

Also bought the Dark Souls hintbook, which is kinda useless since they changed a bunch of stuff in patches. Still, it looks cool and the maps are useful. That one I don't regret.

I got the guide for Skyrim with the game. Aside from one puzzle solution being wrong, it has been pretty useful.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By Yummylee

Nope. Used to get the occasional one when I was much younger, to read about the more obscure stuff and easter eggs; it was downright vital to figure out how to properly breed your Digimon in Digimon World so it would evolve into the one you wanted too. There were only so many of these green slimemons and yellow poopmons that I could take! Funnily enough I was also first introduced to the Resident Evil remake by spotting a strategy guide for it in a shop.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Daveyo520

The internet exists.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to, when faq's weren't a big thing, but now official game guides are lacking in information and often flat out wrong.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I bought one, and that was for Urbz: Sims in the City.

Great game, but that guide was pretty much useless since the game explains everything you need to know.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Today? No.

Back when cheat codes were a thing and the only real source to find secrets were through guides? Yes.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By Tackchevy

I'm a mid-level collector, but I've never branched off into guides. I mostly just stick to interesting LEs and older classics or rarities. In the same general area though, I do often look into art books or other things, such as Xenogears Perfect Works and the like.

I do have the Final Fantasy strategy guide that Nintendo Power sent me in 1989 or 1990 though. So there's that!

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to back when I didn't have internet (essentially 12+ years ago. Back then EB games would give you a discount if you bought the game and the guide at the same time. Essentially I would pay full price for the game and then get the strategy guide for $10-15. A price certainly worth it for a kid who didn't have internet to look up hints/cheats when he got stuck.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason why I even bought them was because they had nice game artwork on some of the pages. For the actual strategy guide, I find forums much more helpful.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Roger778

I used to buy Strategy guides when I was younger, and that was because I hadn't developed my gaming skills yet. Now, I don't do it anymore, and if I truly feel stuck on one part of the game, I go on the Internet to look up the solution.