• 76 results
#51 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I like them. I particularly like them when the developer puts some thought into them. Orange Box had some good ones. As did Portal 2. I guess Valve puts some thought into them. When they're just "collect all the stuff" or "beat the chapter/game" or whatever I have no interest. Also:

I like the ones with cool pictures.

My cumulative points total or trophy level or whatever doesn't mean anything to me at all though.

#52 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

I like Achievements, but they can seem pointless sometimes (for example, kill this enemy with that weapon). Also, I have never maxed out on them on one single game. I might try to unlock some achievements, when I play a game I like over and over like The Mass Effect Games.

#53 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

Not really, I don't care for showing off my gamer score because it would mean nothing to the people I show it off to.

#54 Posted by BobSacamano (10 posts) -

I think achievements are a great way to extend the lifespan of a game. I probably got around 10 extra hours out of Sleeping Dogs because I decided that it wouldn't be too hard to get 50/50. Might seem pointless to some (in which case, don't do it) but I know for me and many others there's a definite satisfaction to be had from getting 100% of the achievements in a game.

#55 Edited by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

Only for a game that has earned my attention, whose achievements aren't too tedious sounding.

#56 Edited by bennyboy (328 posts) -

I like them. Even if no one cares, there's nothing wrong with having something to show for your gaming accomplishments.

#57 Edited by IceColdGamer (605 posts) -

I used to be addicted to achievements, but now I just like to think of them as challenges.

#58 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

NO I do NOT CaRe ABOUT them at ALL.

If your game isn't good enough to keep me entertained past a certain point without achivements, then you made a shitty game

#59 Edited by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Hate them. The extending the life of a game argument is pure straw because 99% of the time it's making you do something tedious for all that extra time. They're mind-control from the man and stop games entering the 2nd hand market as fast so not only does he have you jumping through hoops but you're also lining his pockets, suckers!

#60 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Yeah; I think it's an interesting mechanic to force me to play in a way I normally wouldn't if I'm looking for an excuse to continue playing a game.

#61 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Depends on how much I enjoyed the game and how tedious the achievments sound. I usually don't S rank them though, it takes too much time usually.

#62 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

Sometimes. I pick and choose which ones I want to try for. Collectible based achievements? Fuck that. Multiplayer achievements? Fuck those too, unless some sort of unlock comes with them. Some of them are neat though. There are some good ones in Surgeon Simulator 2013. I don't care at all about S Ranking or gamerscore though.

#63 Posted by Knochenkotzer (17 posts) -

As meaningless as they may be for some people I like trophies. At the very least they only ADD something to gaming instead of the very annoying trend of taking things away in the recent years.

I wouldn't go out of my way to keep playing a game that feel I'm done with to get them but sometimes they offer some challenges I would not have taken if there weren't some hints for them among the trophies/achievements.

#64 Posted by hollitz (1520 posts) -

Only in games that I really really like.

Or in games where the only fun comes from going after the achievements, like in Viva Pinata.

#65 Edited by NicksCorner (416 posts) -

No, I have just one S-rank and that is the Walking Dead. They gave 100% for completing it...

#66 Edited by cheishxc (92 posts) -

I love achievements, probably more than I should, they're a good way for me to gauge progress in games like Fallout 3/Skyrim etc. That being said I'm really sick of collectables and I'll only go back and hunt them all down if it's a game I REALLY love.

#67 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Achievements often determine if I play a game or not. If I think I've gotten all of the achievements I can reasonably obtain (I don't do time consuming ones like collecting crap or completionist crap) and I'm not incredibly into the game, I'll just quit. Like Devil May Cry 4. Didn't like the anime / Japanese story, only got a few achievements, there are no achievements for completing levels so screw that game.

Exceptions are sports games which continue to be fun and multiplayer games (Call of Duty, Guardians of Middle-Earth, etc.).

#68 Posted by Doppelgamer (320 posts) -

I like them as a marking post to remember where I've been and what I've accomplished. Occasionally, the extra goal ideas they provide make for some additional enjoyment. I don't see much value in them for bragging rights, but to each his own. If they were gone, I wouldn't care all that much, but I like them well enough.

#69 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (622 posts) -

There may be specific games that I care about achievements for (I still want to go back and get all the trophies in P4G), but for the most part no. I don't even have notifications on anymore cause they got annoying.

#70 Edited by Slag (4388 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: yup I really like 'em. They give me more concrete goals to shoot for, and I like seeing my progress in games played all in one place.

I would be doing many of these sorts of achievement tasks anyway, I did before they existed. Granted not all achievements are made equally, some of them are insultingly easy, some are unbelievably unrealistic multiplayer ones and others are purely mindless grindfests that are insulting to my time. But on the balance they are fun.

kinda weird how people all of sudden soured on achievements in the last two years. They used to be loved.

#71 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

Nothing breaks immersion like a bad pun in a pop-up informing me I got some random number of achievement points. Seriously, fuck'em.

#72 Edited by LukeyBaby93 (14 posts) -

Yes if I enjoy the game, I won't just buy random games for achievements I like to enjoy my gaming not just play for achievements.

#73 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

I used to care to the point where I was renting shitty games that had easy achievements then at some point I wondered where my life went so wrong. Now I just kinda enjoy getting them, but I don't actively go for them like I used to.

#74 Edited by xbigdanx (4 posts) -

I used to.. up until about 2 weeks ago. For no real reason other than I felt it gave me something additional to work towards in the games - plus there was the added benefit of mini 'competitions' with people on my friends lists.

With Bioshock Infinite, I found that I was not enjoying the game as much by spending so much time worrying about the voxaphones and telescopes and all the collectible shit. of course, I wanted to see as much as possible but didn't want the need to collect everything take away from my enjoyment. So I put the guide away and just had fun. I'm doing the same thing right now with Tomb Raider and find myself having a better time.

#75 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1289 posts) -

I would be sad if they left but they are not a major concern of mine

#76 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -

They help the longevity of a game for me, so I certainly make a habit chasing them. However, the fire has all but died out in the past few years, since my guy feeling tells me they'll be rendered obsolete once the next generation rolls around.

#77 Edited by GnomeonFire (745 posts) -

Wouldn't miss them.