• 94 results
#1 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I think the last time I cared about preserving a "decent" kill to death ratio was back in the Halo 2 days but over the past couple years I find myself caring less and less about it. I think the only time I care about what my K/D is in Gears of War which continues to persist in Gears of War 3 and that's pretty much it.

Do you guys continue to care about what your K/D is in multiplayer games?

#2 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Not at all. But I think that's just cause I'm bad at shooters...

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Depends on the game....Battlefield 3? No.....Halo games? Yeah.

#4 Posted by TobbRobb (4649 posts) -

Depends on the game. In shooters "which I don't really play a lot to begin with", I only care about score when playing against friends. Against randoms I just tend to screw around.

I play a freaking lot of games like LoL "and since saturday, DoTA2" where K/D is critical to the success of you and your team. If I don't care about K/D there, I let my team down.

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I don't care about my K/D in the sense that it's all I worry about in the game. I'm playing Battlefield 3 right now and while I obviously focus on the objectives at hand, healing and reviving teammates etc. I try to have a good K/D, usually just having at least a couple more kills than deaths, so I'm not dragging the team down.

#6 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

NOPE. Couldn't care less, actually. It's about playing the game, not necessarily being good enough at it to keep a superficial score.

#7 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Kind off, I try to keep a good K/D per game so if the average goes down it means i'm not doing so well.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I care a little.

If I have a piss poor KDR but I've helped my team cap an objective or helped with defense in ways that the game doesn't give me points for, I'm okay.

If I have a terrible KDR and I've done jack shit, I'm probably going to switch to a more useful class/loadout.

#9 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

If someone dies 5 times to capture a flag or perform some critical team action, I don't care what their K/D is.

#10 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Nope. A) I suck at FPSes B) Because of A I play ones where I can contribute to the teams's chances without being great at killing. Like Team Fortress 2.

#11 Edited by CJduke (788 posts) -

When I play Call of Duty yes, I care about kdr. When I play Battlefield I focus just on scoring points and helping teammates. I feel like thats the difference between the two for me personally. Battlefield is more of a team game, where healing teammates, blowing up tanks and capturing points and providing ammo is a critical point of the game, more so sometimes than getting kills, whereas call of duty is pretty much just about killing people and getting killstreaks. I don't really play Halo, and I'm not good enough at Counter-strike to care.

#12 Posted by wemibelec90 (1666 posts) -

I've ever only cared about K/D in my TDM games where my team lost, a spot where it makes a real difference. In team-based games and playlists? Hell no. I was always a great flag runner in Halo games in the past and it often tanked my K/D. My team still won because of it though, so who cares?

#13 Posted by JacDG (2125 posts) -

I'm pretty good at first person shooters, so I care about doing well, so if I play domination/conquest, no then I focus on capturing points, but if I played TDM or something like it (Kill Confirmed, brilliant game mode) then I care to some extent.

#14 Posted by Procyon27 (40 posts) -

In 2 words....fuck no.

It's all about the win for me in BF3 and MW3. I could go 11-30, but as long as we win it doesn't mean a thing to me, but if I went 30-3 and we got our asses handed to us and lost I would be a bit disappointed.

Me and my squad rarely lose, but when we do it's not typically because we had bad KD games and the other team had great KD games.....it's because we got tactically schooled.

#15 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Only in Gears of War 3. Even then, not really.

#16 Posted by SomeJerk (3251 posts) -

I think that KDR measurements make people bad cheap gamers, but then again KDR make most people fear for their virtual lives and try to flee so they become easier to take down..

Signed,
That lucky sonofawhore cockbag who made a lot of 20+ kills and 0 death rounds in Black Ops on maps that and modes that weren't kill-farm-friendly

#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

I don't play online, so no. Even if I played online, I wouldn't, because I suck at online games and I inevitably would get a terrible K/D ratio. And that's why I don't play online games... online.

#18 Posted by ObiKwiet (131 posts) -

I obsess over it. After every session of BF3 I check Battlelog to make sure my KDR is not going down. And my KDR in BF3 is not even good (1.081).

I really wish I could stop this behavior. Is there some kind of support group I can join?

#19 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

I used to care the most about K/D in Bad Company 2, I was weirdly obsessed with dominating other players in that game. Now with Team Fortress 2, don't really care about K/D when I can beat snipers to death with baseball bats. Really hilarious stuff in that game.

#20 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

Of course, I do. If you have a shitty K/D, it means you are probably fucking the rest of your team over in a ticket-based game like BF3 or COD. If you just die, spam respawn button, sprint back to the action to die again and you end up with a 2-23 score, you have just fucked your team over significantly. You've contributed little and forced everyone else to make up for you. My K/D always sucks, but I try. People just need to learn to ease off and slow down. If you are dying one or two dozen times in a map, you should be stopping what the fuck you're doing, finding a place to hide, and taking your kills only when they're a sure thing. You'll get fewer kills, but they'll be more important.

#21 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

I care about it to an extent but not in the mentality that some gamers try to heavily prioritize, especially in objective based games.

#22 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Not in Battlefield 3 no, I'm a fucking medic and if 12 guys have gone down all around me from some big explosion I would much rather revive them than move forward and find one guy to shoot.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

No never, as long as I kill the most people I don't care how many times I died. My K/D is almost always like 0.6 in most games.

#24 Posted by Moody_yeti (369 posts) -

I only care in the Gears franchise,Any other game i just want to break even.

#25 Posted by FavoritoBandito (171 posts) -

Only in TDM, where in my opinion is the only place it truly matters. In any other game modes I don't really care.

#26 Posted by Minifig (136 posts) -

Not at all, all I care about is having fun.

#27 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

If game type is Team Deathmatch, then yeah K/D matters alot... if your dying a bunch you are not exactly helping your team.    Other game modes it becomes less important for me.

#28 Posted by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

In games like Gears of War 3 and MW2 I do. Otherwise I don't.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Nop, never cared.
I'll notice myself when I'm bad at a game.

#30 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

Yes I care, because I'm really good at shooters. It is extremely satisfying to see my name at the top of a scoreboard, above other people. These are other human beings who have invested their time and energy, and I can negate all that with the flick of a controller stick and the pull of a trigger. I laugh hard at anyone older than I am (18) who is not as fast or doesn't have decision making to rival my own. And I get angry when some 10 year old kid is better than I am at any game.

But I'm grateful for people who suck at games and yet keep gaming just for the fun of it. I can respect that, and it makes my experience more entertaining. I'm sure if every match I was put against a team full of people like me it would be a lot less fun, because I would lose sometimes.

I don't think it's shallow, for the reasons I stated before. There are tons of people who do care, and I relish in being able to make them cry themselves to sleep at night with my mad skills.

But really, it's all for the lulz. Usually I get bored with a game and just end up running around trying to glitch out of the map and kill my own team mates while my KD goes to hell.

#31 Posted by Rudy (125 posts) -

BF3 : No. MW3 : Yes.

This is why I actually enjoy playing BF3 more.

#32 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

"Hi team! I'll be the cannon fodder that draws fire away from you. Does that work out for everyone here?"

#33 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I care about being top (which i usually am in BF3) but most of the time it's from smart play and not KD (although I'm rarely negative KD). People who do care play too much CoD.

#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Hell no, just as long as I help the other team and have fun, I could not give a fuck.

#35 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I care a little bit but it isn't usually isn't an issue because I'm playing with friends and games I am pretty good at. I never understood how people go super negative, like 3/25 and still are having a good time. Playing well and winning is what makes competitive multiplayer fun.

#36 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I didn't know what you were talking about until I read you're post. That's how little I care.

#37 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Yeah I do. That is probably why I don't play shooters online, because I'm terrible at them.

#38 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Not since I stopped playing competitive CS.

#39 Posted by Zelnox (389 posts) -

The only FPS I play right now is Red Orchestra 2, which doesn’t list your death count, but dying reduces your team’s reinforcement tickets.

#40 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

no, not at all. i am just alright at playing FPS.

#41 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Only in games that bring it up.

#42 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Depends on how seriously I play when I play the game. If it's a game I play just to goof around, not so much, but in a game I plan to play a lot and do my best, I do care.

#43 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Nope. I play games to have fun...if I'm having fun, I could care a less how many kills or deaths I have in each round.

#44 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Absolutely, unless I feel like messing around in which case I don't care.

#45 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

Kind of. I try to go positive when I play online, but I don't get all hot and bothered if I go negative.

#46 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Depends on the game. When I play Battlefield, I try to capture bases and actually do the objectives so I don't care. In COD or Halo where I'm just trying for kills, I do care a bit.

#47 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Yeah, usually. It's hard to win with a shitty K/D.

#48 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

I care. Not because I want to be "the best" or "win no matter what" but mostly because if you have a horrible K/D ratio you're most likely more of an hindrance then actually helping your team. Yes I know there are situation where one gets more deaths because of what he or she is doing and is still cotributing to the teams victory. But that's not always the case.

I just don't like being part of the reason why my team is losing a game in general. No matter if I play an Shooter, Strategy game MMORPG. (Hell I usually don't even join battlegrounds on WoW before I equipped my chars with PvP equipment.)

#49 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Depends on the game. If it's COD where K/D is basically all there is, then I guess I have to if I'm going to stay competitive. If it's something like Battlefield where there are many more ways to help your team win, then not at all.

#50 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

Douche bags who pad kills in capture the flag games are the worst kind of scum.