• 52 results
DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DoctorDanger99

I know this might not be the best time to post this with all the E3 shit going on,but im bored so i figured id do it anyways.

so do any of you guys collect video games?

up until a year or so ago ive had a fairly turbulent lifestyle. but fairly recently ive been able to settle down a bit. my hobby now and has allways been video games.literally my very first video game memory is playing the original mario bros on the nes back in probly '87 or '88 (born in '84).

so ive since decided to finally start my lifelong goal of video game collecting. by that i mean anything and everything.just yesterday i picked up JET FORCE GEMINI and a video game code book from the SNES era.

i dont really have any guidelines or rules i follow. just kind of whatever suits my fancy.aside from my 360 collection (which is on going) ive recently been focusing on nintendo. of late ive been building my wii,snes and N64 library with the odd gamecube and ps2 game thrown in.

its alot of fun but can also be frustrating.

a big thing with me is game cases. they have to be in really good condition. im doing my best to make it look good. i recently found a copy of TWIN SNAKES but the cases was shit.looked awful.so i passed on it.hoping to find somthing better.also, somthing ive noticed, is Nintendo games seem to never go down in price. i had to breakdown and buy smash bros brawl new, because its still so expensive,even used.

but this is just some of my stuff. how about you guys?

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, I'm not crazy

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@Zacagawea: how am i crazy?

also,i LOVE you pic,Kennedy is the man!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

I guess. Sort of. No? I mean I buy every game that I'm interested in which amounts to a lot of games. But I don't actively go out and search for like Amiga games or something... I have like sixty PS3 games, ten 360 games, 10 Wii games, twenty PC games etc... Does that mean I collect?

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@LiquidPrince: sure. i just like the overall history of games. i collect everything though i draw the line at games before the NES. that was before my time and i have little interest in it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't get rid of the video games I own, but I wouldn't say I go out of my way to collect them.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By DjCmeP

@Zacagawea said:

No, I'm not crazy

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@MooseyMcMan:

i like hunting them down and then replaying them. i spent allmost two years looking for resident evil outbreak. was about to give it up and get it from amazon and then i got it at the flea market. im on the same road for FINAL FANTASY 3 on snes. im gonna find it!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I keep the ones I buy. I try not to have a bunch for it's own sake.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hoossy

If I know I'll never play the game again... I'll sell it for another one

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

No, I have a small collection of Dreamcast games because what's the point in selling them for pennies.

Newer games are worth too much dollar to hold onto after finishing them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I play video games. Isn't that what they are about?

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@Sooty said:

No, I have a small collection of Dreamcast games because what's the point in selling them for pennies.

Newer games are worth too much dollar to hold onto after finishing them.

jeez,guess im the only one,oh well.still alot of fun!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Strife777

I keep every game I buy. I never sell/trade them in, so I guess I sort of collect them.

I've also been thinking about buying older consoles I don't have, like a SNES and get some games for it. But that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By cornbredx

Collector would indicate I try to save them for posterity or something.

I don't know that I'm a collector, but I have a lot of games.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@CornBREDX:

see i like collecting them. im not hardcore as in i have EVERY N64 game ever made, but i enjoy finding rare games and adding them to my collection. even if i dont particulary like them. i just got ocarina of time for N64 even though im not a big zelda fan. but i like it for the nostalga sake.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I'm not a collector unless it's a series I REALLY enjoy.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@IrrelevantJohn:

it's my goal to own every metal gear game possible. its not easy. i own like five diffrent versions of snake eater for example lol

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeanFoster

My Steam library is my collection. I like having everything stored digitally, so no physical media for me but I will often buy an older game on Steam with no real intention of having it just so it's part of my collection.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

@DoctorDanger99: Ya I do that with movies.

Although, less so now just because at some point you realize there is not enough space haha.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@SeanFoster:

i couldnt do that. i enjoy having a physical copy. but i will admit it comes in handy. in own RE4 on my 360 and i like being able to just boot it up and go opposed to my other copies for ps2,gamcube,wii.which i own.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeushbien

Not very actively no, but I take a little bit of pride in owning some of the more hidden or forgotten gems in gaming from over the years.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By stubbleman

@DoctorDanger99: I saw a guy, I think it was on here, was doing that, and the number of games you would have to get is fucking stupid. I wouldn't do it personally, but I guess I'm just not that hardcore of a Metal Gear fan anymore. I just started collecting games recently. I don't so much collect series but just individual games I like or am interested in. like, I've got R Racing Evolution for both PS2 and Xbox. And I'm not entirely sure why. I've also got two copies of Haunting Ground because I wanted a copy with the original case. It can really suck collecting though when you want a copy of Rule of Rose, and you know the game is totally shitty as hell and you still have to pay like at least a hundred dollars for it. But maybe one day when I'm made of money I can get all the stupidly over priced rare games to complete my collection like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metal Wolf Chaos.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@somnambulist:

yeah,im not going out of my way to spend money of those super rare games.i enjoy going to the flea markets and the pawn shops. finding those rare games to add to my collection. as i said before. ive been searching for FF3 on snes for ages and its starting to look like i cant find it. when it gets like that i might breakdown and buy it on amazon. i spent months looking for donkey kong 64. i just HAD to have it in my collection. i finally found it for five dollars and now it sits on my shelf. i havnt played it yet but that doesnt matter.ill get to it. the fun is in the hunt!

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jay444111

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@MooseyMcMan:

i like hunting them down and then replaying them. i spent allmost two years looking for resident evil outbreak. was about to give it up and get it from amazon and then i got it at the flea market. im on the same road for FINAL FANTASY 3 on snes. im gonna find it!

I myself am determined to find a copy of earthbound within the state of Montana... I know it is possible that one exists... I just need to hope that I can find it.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@Jay444111:

lol,earthbound is pretty much my holy grail. i have foggy memories of playing it.i know it's a classic but ive never really bought into the hype. but that will change once i find it.i once saw it years ago at a pawn shop for a dollar. i passed it up. that wont happen again!

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jay444111

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@Jay444111:

lol,earthbound is pretty much my holy grail. i have foggy memories of playing it.i know it's a classic but ive never really bought into the hype. but that will change once i find it.i once saw it years ago at a pawn shop for a dollar. i passed it up. that wont happen again!

My memories of it came from looking at the box way high up on a shelf I couldn't reach when I was a wee lad... damn my shortness back then!!!

I wish I knew where the guy sold his stuff... I know the GS got some of his more recent things. But for everything else I have no damn idea!

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DoctorDanger99

lol i actually used to own it back in the day when it first came out. had the box and everything. but it got lost to time. ill find it again!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#29  Edited By Kidavenger

I don't sell my games ever, so I guess I have a bit of a collection. I've never bought a game just because it's a collectible though, I just buy games that I want to play.

I do have a bunch of Blizzard collector's editions though (WC3, SC2, D3) the art book from WC3 was legitimately good.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WickedFather

Take it from someone who used to do the hoarding thing and now has a load of games you don't want to bin but aren't really worth anything.  Sell them as soon as you're fairly sure you're done.

FirebirdINF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FirebirdINF

yes

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@WickedFather:

nah. sure, ill never play The Simpsons game again. but i enjoy collecting and it adds to my collection. its fun. who knows, 20 years from now i may feel like playing it again!

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

The only games I have now are from the current generation.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

kind of, i don't go out of my way to buy a game that i won't play but keep the ones that i play.

Karyyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karyyk

I used to be very much into the collection aspect, especially the more rare consoles, but necessity and life made me part with most of it. I still have a lot of games (at one time, I had over 1,600 of them though, along with 24 consoles), and if I saw something out-of-the-ordinary, I'd pick it up if the price was right, but I'm no longer trying to get each and every game for any specific platform, and do trade or sell away a game from time to time if I'll never want to revisit it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Claude

Damn, thought this would be a poll. No.

Karyyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karyyk

@Jay444111 said:

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@MooseyMcMan:

I myself am determined to find a copy of earthbound within the state of Montana... I know it is possible that one exists... I just need to hope that I can find it.

*SIGH* I'm old enough to remember when Wal-Mart was clearancing stacks of them out for $10 a pop. Money was pretty scarce then, so I could only get a few copies, all of which are long since gone.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jay444111

@Karyyk said:

@Jay444111 said:

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@MooseyMcMan:

*SIGH* I'm old enough to remember when Wal-Mart was clearancing stacks of them out for $10 a pop. Money was pretty scarce then, so I could only get a few copies, all of which are long since gone.

I need a time machine and an address for this wal-mart STAT!!!

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#39  Edited By bobafettjm

@DoctorDanger99: I am absolutely a game collector. I also collect pretty much anything that is related to video games as well. I have a handful of lists on Giant Bomb for my collection, but they are nowhere near completed yet, which I really need to get around to doing.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SexyToad

I just keep the ones I buy. That's about it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Clonedzero

well i keep the ones i bought and beaten even though i have no intention of playing again ever. like RE5 is on my shelf, i beat it, didnt think it was very good at all, i never intend on ever putting it back in my 360. but i probably wont sell it. i have a bunch of games like that.

does that count as collecting? i hav elike 30 games on my shelf

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nintendoeats
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nintendoeats

On a side note: Please capitalize your sentences. It makes them much easier to read.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Chop

I prefer to pass my games onto my step siblings, even the ones I love unconditionally; I would rather share them with others than just stick them in a closest so I can look at the cases once in a while.

Tiny415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tiny415

Yes, I collect. When I started my career and found myself with some disposable income I decided to buy the old consoles I never could when I was a student. Picked up a Saturn with games, a Sega tower of power ( genesis, Sega cd, and 32x) with a bunch of games. As well as when I went to Pax or other conventions, if I saw a game I wanted to play, picked it up. Now these all reside in my finished basement and my cousins and my nieces and nephews come over to play the old games their parents enjoy. When a buddy got nostalgic about resident evil while deployed, sent him a care package of a GameCube and RE:0 through 4. There is nothing wrong with collecting, but i suggest be a library, not a vault. Don't expect to get rich monetarily, but enjoy the moments when someone asks you why the Gameboy screen is not responding to touch. if something is worth money some day great, my uncle ended up sending his kids through college based on selling baseball cards. Just enjoy the games and the experiences associated. Oh I have something like 1500 games between console and PC. My only other piece of advice is do not install steam. I have something like 300 PC games on the service alone. I joke with my coworkers, I look forward to retirement or unemployment, just so i can catch up.But I justify it around the amount of travel I do for work and the access I have to a PC.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dillonwerner

@DjCmeP said:

@Zacagawea said:

No, I'm not crazy

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pw2566ch

I'm a big video game collector myself. I have over 150 PS2 games and a shit ton of PC games. Right now, I'm working on GBA and DS games. Also buying up consoles. I just bought a working GameBoy Pocket at a swap meet yesterday for $5. Also picked up Zelda Link's Awakening for the same price.

If you really want to get into game collecting, then hit up Reddit's game collecting subreddit. A very nice community and a lot of collectors.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By captain_clayman

right now i have something like 431 games but over 100 of those are steam games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b79306cd44df
deactivated-5b79306cd44df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only collect games that are awesome to me, so I basically trade in games that have no replay such as FF XIII and XIII-2, they're an example of why games should be produced slowly and never ever rushed as well as why FF series shouldnt make sequels EVER! They leave out the main character and basically make you pissed you ever bought it haha.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've typically had past of putting too much value into items that I know I won't use anymore, such as games and old systems. So lately I've been making myself embrace the circulation of the second hand marker and what's in my hands. I want to only keep it current. I will hold on to games that have some sort of draw to them: Alan Wake (Best Narrative), Backbreaker (Just cause I'm in it), Spec Ops: The Line (For its underlying message). Stuff like that. But I no longer hold on to previous iterations of MP and what not. If it's a game that's part of a series with a great story or one that I enjoy, I'll keep, because I do like to go back and re-discover and engage in certain plots for whatever reason, one of those being nostalgia (like the Kingdom hearts saga. Love disney and getting to play through all the worlds and interact with some of my favorite childhood characters is great, and there's a deep story within the game.)