• 150 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Avatar image for mrpilkington
#1 Posted by MrPilkington (1025 posts) -

I'm just going to say it, is mobile now considered "real games," as a term people like to use? I personally consider them so. While they are obviously different in audience and style, I do think iOS and Android are viable platforms.

Avatar image for justin258
#2 Edited by Justin258 (14119 posts) -

'Course they are. They're just different than the kinds of games we're used to. Even if a cellphone had the power to, you couldn't play Skyrim very well on an iPhone, but Angry Birds works just fine on one.

Mobile devices are very limited in what they can do, obviously, and there I think is the reason a whole lot of (and I hate the term, but deal with it) "hardcore" gamers don't like that people are suddenly going "oh, yeah, I play video games!" and then whipping out a cellphone to show off Peggle. Not the same thing, and it was kind of a shock when I first started hearing that sort of thing happen.

"Yeah, I play CoD and iPhone games and..."

"Dragon Age Origins? Diablo? Counter-Strike? Half-Life?"

"What the hell are those?"

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4102 posts) -

Yup I think so. Even if you ignore the larger stuff like Walking Dead and Final Fantasy Tactics, the quality of smaller experiences can rival that of 'real' games. You just might get it in shorter bursts.

Avatar image for ulquiokani
#4 Posted by UlquioKani (1362 posts) -

Sure. I dabble in them from time to time and they seem very game-like. Plus they exist so they must be real. In conclusion

Mobile Games = Real Games

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

Of course. They're just a different kind.

Avatar image for sinusoidal
#6 Posted by Sinusoidal (3018 posts) -

1D, 16H, 7M, 5S in Jetpack Joyride ashamedly says yes...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

Nope. They're cheap pastimes to me.

Avatar image for crusader8463
#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14759 posts) -

I don't consider them to be games worth spending time with so no. There are a few exceptions, but most of them have paper thin depth to the gameplay. The biggest reason I dislike them is because I can't see them as anything more then the free flash game world most of these come from. Just because they are on phones they now have a price tag and micro transactions. It's silly to me. I never cared for free flash games before, so why should I now that they cost money and are being made to nickle and dime people?

Avatar image for lord_xp
#9 Posted by Lord_Xp (648 posts) -

Eh, I don't consider them real games..just like midgets aren't real people. Just kidding, I saw that in a picture and made me lol. But I just think it's a way to pass time.

Avatar image for dungbootle
#10 Posted by dungbootle (2502 posts) -

Yes.

Avatar image for turtlebird95
#11 Edited by Turtlebird95 (3618 posts) -

Sure do. Plenty of hardcore games already out on mobile devices and the mobile gaming market has nowhere to go but up.

Avatar image for icicle7x3
#12 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1256 posts) -

What is Real Games?!?

Avatar image for brodehouse
#13 Posted by Brodehouse (10827 posts) -

Peggle is really fucking fun.

Angry Birds is okay. Ain't no Peggle.

I don't like tower defense.

Avatar image for lackingsaint
#14 Edited by LackingSaint (2144 posts) -

If i'm saying it's not a real game, the implication is it is a fake game. I do not think that those games are fake, although I don't have an iphone so I can't confirm

Avatar image for bestusernameever
#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (5026 posts) -

4 years ago, no, today, absolutely. In fact, bigger games are losing vision, and consequently, sales. Indie and mobile games are on the rise creatively, which is one huge component AAA game makers need to take note of.

Avatar image for ben_h
#16 Posted by Ben_H (3894 posts) -

Every time I see that term I say the same thing. 
 
Define "Real Game".

Avatar image for cameron
#17 Posted by Cameron (814 posts) -

Unless you think that Final Fantasy IV, Infinity Blade, Sword and Sorcery, Bastion, Bad Piggies, Scribblenauts, etc., aren't real games, then I can't imagine anyone would think that mobile games aren't real games. Unless you also want to claim that handheld games and lots of XBLA/PSN/Steam games also aren't games. Maybe some people do think that, but I imagine they would be in the extreme minority.

Avatar image for mikkaq
#18 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Absolutely and I'll add that the term "real games" is the dumbest thing I've read in ages.

Avatar image for coafi
#19 Edited by Coafi (1520 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Peggle is really fucking fun.

Angry Birds is okay. Ain't no Peggle.

I don't like tower defense.

Fuck yes! Peggle is amazing.

On topic, yes. Games is games is games. Games are games. How can they not be games?

Pssst, you typed Moble... instead of mobile.

Avatar image for utterances
#20 Posted by Utterances (704 posts) -

They're not full experiences, no.

Avatar image for milkman
#21 Posted by Milkman (18856 posts) -

Of course they are. What the fuck is a "real game?"

Avatar image for chilibean_3
#22 Posted by chilibean_3 (2170 posts) -

Of course they are. iOS games are worth paying attention to now. They matter. There is some real intelligent, inventive stuff in there as well as some games are just plain fun. A lot of it is still garbage and that stuff is not going away but that doesn't mean the good games should be ignored as well.

Avatar image for ben_h
#23 Posted by Ben_H (3894 posts) -
@aquamarin said:

They're not full experiences, no.

What is this "full experience" you speak of?
Avatar image for the_tolman
#24 Posted by The_Tolman (460 posts) -

I hate how "serious gamers" need to act like they are somehow superior because of the games they play. My grandma is playing angry birds, I don't particularly enjoy that game (I dont really enjoy jrpgs either and those are real games), but the idea of that is awesome to me. Five years ago she thought games were a waste of time. Now she cant put down her iPad and is less judgmental on gaming as a whole. I am okay with this.

Avatar image for stete
#25 Posted by Stete (782 posts) -

Yep. Ive had as much fun playing Devil's Attorney as I would playing quality console/PC games.

Avatar image for theveej
#26 Posted by theveej (927 posts) -

Yes. What is a "real game" anyway? is Pong or Asteroids a "real game"? Cause half of these mobile games are more complex and bigger experiences than old school arcade games, yet no one is gonna make the argument that those games weren't "real games".......

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
#27 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3413 posts) -

Moble games? No.

Mobile games? Sure.

Avatar image for soapy86
#28 Posted by Soapy86 (2738 posts) -

By and large, no.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#29 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (5581 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@aquamarin said:

They're not full experiences, no.

What is this "full experience" you speak of?

Pong is considered a video game so I call bullshit on this misnomer of "full experience" which is just used by people who are still butthurt over games on smartphones being covered on a video game site.

"I don't want your Fruit Ninja in my Halo, yo"

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#30 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4102 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@aquamarin said:

They're not full experiences, no.

What is this "full experience" you speak of?

I would also like to know what constitutes a "full experience". Time spent? Graphics? Sound? Cost? Hero Academy is a full turn based strategy experience as far as I can tell.

Avatar image for levio
#31 Posted by Levio (1953 posts) -

If mobile games don't count as real games because they introduce nothing new to the genre and contain only a few hours of fun at most, then most console/PC games aren't real games either.

Avatar image for jz
#32 Posted by JZ (2343 posts) -

No

Avatar image for jeffrud
#33 Posted by jeffrud (534 posts) -

They certainly are. The quality, scope, mode of distribution, and platform of a given game to not determine this. There are a lot of bad mobile games, no doubt, but that's just a question of quality. Resident Evil 6, for instance, is by most accounts a game of poor quality; does that make it "not a real game"?

Avatar image for frankfartmouth
#34 Posted by frankfartmouth (1048 posts) -

They're as real as all the shovelware for the Wii. But since they're made to be played on a phone while sitting on a toilet in an airport, they really are missing a lot of the components normally associated with a full game.

Avatar image for jz
#35 Posted by JZ (2343 posts) -

A real game is a game worth my time or money. I don't think ios games are worth my time or money, even if it's a dollar. Why the hell would I want to play a crappy ios game when my ps3, psp, vita and PC are ten feet away? If it's playing something when I'm not home, that's ok. I don't need to play a game ever waking second of the day. In fact if I'm out of the house, it's specifically to not be staring at a screen anymore. Two last points, I hate tower defense games so that's 90% of the ios games. I also hate facebook games so that's the other 10%.

Avatar image for karkarov
#36 Posted by Karkarov (3385 posts) -

Do I consider "Moble games" real? No.

Mobile games though? Yeah they exist, though some are less than others.

Avatar image for bane122
#37 Posted by Bane122 (964 posts) -

The term "real game" is nonsense people use to make what they play seem superior. Do I think they deserve to be covered by the gaming press? Yes. There are some great mobile games out there nowadays that should get more exposure.

The argument that they are just a way to pass time or are distractions is an odd one to me. What games aren't that? Video games are an entertainment medium just like movies, TV, and print. And within that medium there are different kinds of experiences to be had.

The idea that mobile games, and the people that play them. are lesser is one that only serves to hold back the medium.

Online
Avatar image for ben_h
#38 Posted by Ben_H (3894 posts) -
@frankfartmouth said:

They're as real as all the shovelware for the Wii. But since they're made to be played on a phone while sitting on a toilet in an airport, they really are missing a lot of the components normally associated with a full game.

What components are in this mythical full game? 
Avatar image for aleryn
#39 Posted by Aleryn (718 posts) -

Yup. The belief that they're not on iOS and Android reminds me of similar sentiments with the Gameboy/etc.

Avatar image for ben_h
#40 Posted by Ben_H (3894 posts) -
@JZ said:
A real game is a game worth my time or money. I don't think ios games are worth my time or money, even if it's a dollar. Why the hell would I want to play a crappy ios game when my ps3, psp, vita and PC are ten feet away? If it's playing something when I'm not home, that's ok. I don't need to play a game ever waking second of the day. In fact if I'm out of the house, it's specifically to not be staring at a screen anymore. Two last points, I hate tower defense games so that's 90% of the ios games. I also hate facebook games so that's the other 10%.
Yeah instead we can pay $60 and still play garbage that is only 6 hours long.
Avatar image for marz
#41 Posted by Marz (5939 posts) -

game is a game, if it passes the time and you enjoy it.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
#42 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (332 posts) -

No, they just don't have the same quality as console or pc games. Plus the constant ads or microtransactions to win just lessen the experience.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#43 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (4102 posts) -

@JZ said:

A real game is a game worth my time or money. I don't think ios games are worth my time or money, even if it's a dollar. Why the hell would I want to play a crappy ios game when my ps3, psp, vita and PC are ten feet away? If it's playing something when I'm not home, that's ok. I don't need to play a game ever waking second of the day. In fact if I'm out of the house, it's specifically to not be staring at a screen anymore. Two last points, I hate tower defense games so that's 90% of the ios games. I also hate facebook games so that's the other 10%.

That's...not even remotely an accurate breakdown of iOS games.

Avatar image for ben_h
#44 Posted by Ben_H (3894 posts) -
@Chaoskiller2000 said:

No, they just don't have the same quality as console or pc games. Plus the constant ads or microtransactions to win just lessen the experience.

So is Big Rigs superior to Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery?
Avatar image for jz
#45 Posted by JZ (2343 posts) -

@ben_H Bad normal game is waaaay better than a bad or good ios game.

Avatar image for breadfan
#46 Posted by breadfan (6803 posts) -

Yep.

Avatar image for henry1989929
#47 Posted by henry1989929 (27 posts) -

@MrPilkington:Different people have different ideas about real games. For me,they are games.

because games are just entertainment.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
#48 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (332 posts) -

@Ben_H: Just to nitpick Superbrothers is on PC. Regardless mobile games still have a lack of what feels like a real experience it just feels cheap and uninteresting. Personally I would rather play a bad normal game than a bad or good mobile game.

Avatar image for ben_h
#49 Posted by Ben_H (3894 posts) -
@JZ said:
@ben_H Bad normal game is waaaay better than a bad or good ios game.
Then you haven't actually played iOS (Or Android) games in any significant amount. Your previous post already confirmed this. You are basing your entire argument of a questionable stereotype that @TheSouthernDandy has has already pointed out as being completely false. 
 
And no a bad normal game isn't better because a shitty normal game typically sets you back way more money while I good iOS game costs you the same as a bottle of pop.
Avatar image for ben_h
#50 Posted by Ben_H (3894 posts) -
@Chaoskiller2000 said:

@Ben_H: Just to nitpick Superbrothers is on PC. Regardless mobile games still have a lack of what feels like a real experience it just feels cheap and uninteresting. Personally I would rather play a bad normal game than a bad or good mobile game.

It was mobile first.