• 150 results
#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I'm just going to say it, is mobile now considered "real games," as a term people like to use? I personally consider them so. While they are obviously different in audience and style, I do think iOS and Android are viable platforms.

#2 Edited by believer258 (11895 posts) -

'Course they are. They're just different than the kinds of games we're used to. Even if a cellphone had the power to, you couldn't play Skyrim very well on an iPhone, but Angry Birds works just fine on one.

Mobile devices are very limited in what they can do, obviously, and there I think is the reason a whole lot of (and I hate the term, but deal with it) "hardcore" gamers don't like that people are suddenly going "oh, yeah, I play video games!" and then whipping out a cellphone to show off Peggle. Not the same thing, and it was kind of a shock when I first started hearing that sort of thing happen.

"Yeah, I play CoD and iPhone games and..."

"Dragon Age Origins? Diablo? Counter-Strike? Half-Life?"

"What the hell are those?"

#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

Yup I think so. Even if you ignore the larger stuff like Walking Dead and Final Fantasy Tactics, the quality of smaller experiences can rival that of 'real' games. You just might get it in shorter bursts.

#4 Posted by UlquioKani (1056 posts) -

Sure. I dabble in them from time to time and they seem very game-like. Plus they exist so they must be real. In conclusion

Mobile Games = Real Games

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Of course. They're just a different kind.

#6 Posted by Sinusoidal (1474 posts) -

1D, 16H, 7M, 5S in Jetpack Joyride ashamedly says yes...

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Nope. They're cheap pastimes to me.

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I don't consider them to be games worth spending time with so no. There are a few exceptions, but most of them have paper thin depth to the gameplay. The biggest reason I dislike them is because I can't see them as anything more then the free flash game world most of these come from. Just because they are on phones they now have a price tag and micro transactions. It's silly to me. I never cared for free flash games before, so why should I now that they cost money and are being made to nickle and dime people?

#9 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

Eh, I don't consider them real games..just like midgets aren't real people. Just kidding, I saw that in a picture and made me lol. But I just think it's a way to pass time.

#10 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Yes.

#11 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2384 posts) -

Sure do. Plenty of hardcore games already out on mobile devices and the mobile gaming market has nowhere to go but up.

#12 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1180 posts) -

What is Real Games?!?

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Peggle is really fucking fun.

Angry Birds is okay. Ain't no Peggle.

I don't like tower defense.

#14 Edited by LackingSaint (1811 posts) -

If i'm saying it's not a real game, the implication is it is a fake game. I do not think that those games are fake, although I don't have an iphone so I can't confirm

#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

4 years ago, no, today, absolutely. In fact, bigger games are losing vision, and consequently, sales. Indie and mobile games are on the rise creatively, which is one huge component AAA game makers need to take note of.

#16 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -

Every time I see that term I say the same thing. 

Define "Real Game".

#17 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -

Unless you think that Final Fantasy IV, Infinity Blade, Sword and Sorcery, Bastion, Bad Piggies, Scribblenauts, etc., aren't real games, then I can't imagine anyone would think that mobile games aren't real games. Unless you also want to claim that handheld games and lots of XBLA/PSN/Steam games also aren't games. Maybe some people do think that, but I imagine they would be in the extreme minority.

#18 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Absolutely and I'll add that the term "real games" is the dumbest thing I've read in ages.

#19 Edited by Coafi (1488 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Peggle is really fucking fun.

Angry Birds is okay. Ain't no Peggle.

I don't like tower defense.

Fuck yes! Peggle is amazing.

On topic, yes. Games is games is games. Games are games. How can they not be games?

Pssst, you typed Moble... instead of mobile.

#20 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

They're not full experiences, no.

#21 Posted by Milkman (16781 posts) -

Of course they are. What the fuck is a "real game?"

#22 Posted by chilibean_3 (1639 posts) -

Of course they are. iOS games are worth paying attention to now. They matter. There is some real intelligent, inventive stuff in there as well as some games are just plain fun. A lot of it is still garbage and that stuff is not going away but that doesn't mean the good games should be ignored as well.

#23 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -
@aquamarin said:

What is this "full experience" you speak of?
#24 Posted by The_Tolman (433 posts) -

I hate how "serious gamers" need to act like they are somehow superior because of the games they play. My grandma is playing angry birds, I don't particularly enjoy that game (I dont really enjoy jrpgs either and those are real games), but the idea of that is awesome to me. Five years ago she thought games were a waste of time. Now she cant put down her iPad and is less judgmental on gaming as a whole. I am okay with this.

#25 Posted by Stete (734 posts) -

Yep. Ive had as much fun playing Devil's Attorney as I would playing quality console/PC games.

#26 Posted by theveej (830 posts) -

Yes. What is a "real game" anyway? is Pong or Asteroids a "real game"? Cause half of these mobile games are more complex and bigger experiences than old school arcade games, yet no one is gonna make the argument that those games weren't "real games".......

#27 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

Moble games? No.

Mobile games? Sure.

#28 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

By and large, no.

#29 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@aquamarin said:

Pong is considered a video game so I call bullshit on this misnomer of "full experience" which is just used by people who are still butthurt over games on smartphones being covered on a video game site.

"I don't want your Fruit Ninja in my Halo, yo"

#30 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@aquamarin said:

I would also like to know what constitutes a "full experience". Time spent? Graphics? Sound? Cost? Hero Academy is a full turn based strategy experience as far as I can tell.

#31 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

If mobile games don't count as real games because they introduce nothing new to the genre and contain only a few hours of fun at most, then most console/PC games aren't real games either.

#32 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

No

#33 Posted by jeffrud (384 posts) -

They certainly are. The quality, scope, mode of distribution, and platform of a given game to not determine this. There are a lot of bad mobile games, no doubt, but that's just a question of quality. Resident Evil 6, for instance, is by most accounts a game of poor quality; does that make it "not a real game"?

#34 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

They're as real as all the shovelware for the Wii. But since they're made to be played on a phone while sitting on a toilet in an airport, they really are missing a lot of the components normally associated with a full game.

#35 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

A real game is a game worth my time or money. I don't think ios games are worth my time or money, even if it's a dollar. Why the hell would I want to play a crappy ios game when my ps3, psp, vita and PC are ten feet away? If it's playing something when I'm not home, that's ok. I don't need to play a game ever waking second of the day. In fact if I'm out of the house, it's specifically to not be staring at a screen anymore. Two last points, I hate tower defense games so that's 90% of the ios games. I also hate facebook games so that's the other 10%.

#36 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Do I consider "Moble games" real? No.

Mobile games though? Yeah they exist, though some are less than others.

#37 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

The term "real game" is nonsense people use to make what they play seem superior. Do I think they deserve to be covered by the gaming press? Yes. There are some great mobile games out there nowadays that should get more exposure.

The argument that they are just a way to pass time or are distractions is an odd one to me. What games aren't that? Video games are an entertainment medium just like movies, TV, and print. And within that medium there are different kinds of experiences to be had.

The idea that mobile games, and the people that play them. are lesser is one that only serves to hold back the medium.

#38 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -
@frankfartmouth said:

They're as real as all the shovelware for the Wii. But since they're made to be played on a phone while sitting on a toilet in an airport, they really are missing a lot of the components normally associated with a full game.

What components are in this mythical full game? 
#39 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Yup. The belief that they're not on iOS and Android reminds me of similar sentiments with the Gameboy/etc.

#40 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -
@JZ said:
A real game is a game worth my time or money. I don't think ios games are worth my time or money, even if it's a dollar. Why the hell would I want to play a crappy ios game when my ps3, psp, vita and PC are ten feet away? If it's playing something when I'm not home, that's ok. I don't need to play a game ever waking second of the day. In fact if I'm out of the house, it's specifically to not be staring at a screen anymore. Two last points, I hate tower defense games so that's 90% of the ios games. I also hate facebook games so that's the other 10%.
Yeah instead we can pay $60 and still play garbage that is only 6 hours long.
#41 Posted by Marz (5651 posts) -

game is a game, if it passes the time and you enjoy it.

#42 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

No, they just don't have the same quality as console or pc games. Plus the constant ads or microtransactions to win just lessen the experience.

#43 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

@JZ said:

That's...not even remotely an accurate breakdown of iOS games.

#44 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -
@Chaoskiller2000 said:

No, they just don't have the same quality as console or pc games. Plus the constant ads or microtransactions to win just lessen the experience.

So is Big Rigs superior to Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery?
#45 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@ben_H Bad normal game is waaaay better than a bad or good ios game.

#46 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Yep.

#47 Posted by henry1989929 (26 posts) -

@MrPilkington:Different people have different ideas about real games. For me,they are games.

because games are just entertainment.

#48 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

@Ben_H: Just to nitpick Superbrothers is on PC. Regardless mobile games still have a lack of what feels like a real experience it just feels cheap and uninteresting. Personally I would rather play a bad normal game than a bad or good mobile game.

#49 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -
@JZ said:
@ben_H Bad normal game is waaaay better than a bad or good ios game.
Then you haven't actually played iOS (Or Android) games in any significant amount. Your previous post already confirmed this. You are basing your entire argument of a questionable stereotype that @TheSouthernDandy has has already pointed out as being completely false. 

And no a bad normal game isn't better because a shitty normal game typically sets you back way more money while I good iOS game costs you the same as a bottle of pop.
#50 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -
@Chaoskiller2000 said:

@Ben_H: Just to nitpick Superbrothers is on PC. Regardless mobile games still have a lack of what feels like a real experience it just feels cheap and uninteresting. Personally I would rather play a bad normal game than a bad or good mobile game.

It was mobile first.