#1 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

If the answer is yes, why don't you have a subscription yet?

#2 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Depends on the game. Sometimes watching people play games is considerably more fun than playing them.

...And I already have a subscription. So there.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

Yes.

#4 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The only games I enjoy watching for extended amounts of time are high level Street Fighter and StarCraft really.

and lately Catherine:

lol

#5 Posted by EVO (3871 posts) -

No.

#6 Edited by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

As usual, it really depends on the game. I love Let's Plays of Resident Evil 1 and 2 but I wouldn't play them again since I'm no fan of tank controls. Similarly, I find Oblivion fun to play but I find it dull watching other people play it. I don't subscribe because most of the features don't appeal to me. I'm not going to spend money just to watch people play games.

#7 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I'd rather play games.

#8 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

Really depends on the game. I could watch someone play a story heavy game with commentary(obviously, otherwise it would just be boring) but I would never watch someone play like a racing game or similar.

#9 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

sometimes

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (11869 posts) -

Only when the people playing are actually good.

Zing!

#11 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

I can enjoy just watching people play and by that I mean people on a couch beside me, not on a video on Youtube or Giantbomb. I can dig that too but it's not really the same thing.

#12 Posted by Noccee (57 posts) -

Only game I really enjoy watching others play is Starcraft II

#13 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Of course not.

#14 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Not as fun no but still fun enough to be entertaining

#15 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

If it's the right people playing the right thing in the right way (like Nanosuitninja) then sure. Unfortunately I don't really get a lot of enjoyment out of watching quicklooks any more unless it's a really wacky game and Vinny is there, so I can't really justify the money at the moment. Also, since I'm European the happy hour starts fairly late, and on Fridays I'm usually doing something else by that time.

#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Nope. There are some exceptions of games that have great stories but terrible repetitive gameplay that I know I could never sit through myself to enjoy the story. Those kinds of games I like to see made into Endurance Runs. As for quicklooks, I mostly just use it as a real world trailer to know how the game is going to play and the pacing of it. The Quicklooks stopped being entertaining to watch just for fun a long time ago. So now I tend to only watch them if it's a game I want to buy, or if it's just something I want to know more about.

#17 Posted by bybeach (4732 posts) -

Depends. I very much enjoyed the P4 endurance run, but have zip doo-da interest in playing it. In fact the whole japanophile culture attracted by it puts me off a little. But it WAS good, I'll admit. The origonal Deus Ex, proposed for another ER is a game I could go both ways on. Same with Killer 7. But recent stuff I like like Deus ex, Human Rev, not I would much rather play. And finally, a recent Final Fanatasy only if Vinny is forced to play the squealy girl, and brad her luv interest.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

A friend and me played Dragon Age 1 over a weekend, we watched each other play in turns, it was so fun to see us both use different dialogues and outcomes.
That's about it tho, I rather play.

#19 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

no, its almost always more fun to play them, but watching them can be fun too

#20 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

If it's as fun to watch as it is to play then they haven't made a very good game. The exception perhaps being high level competitive play.

#21 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I watch a lot of Let's Plays, yes.

#22 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

Usually when I get home from work I'll watch any new Giant Bomb Quick Looks before I play an actual game. So, yes? I've also been watching Kessler's and Steve's Fear Gauntlet and I have to say it's a lot more fun watching them play Condemned right now than playing the game myself.

When it comes to Giant Bomb content, yes. Otherwise, not really.

#23 Edited by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Absolutely, I often enjoy watching other people play more than I enjoy playing it myself.

Take Daggerfall for example. If I jumped into that game right now, i'd get frustrated quickly, and probably ragequit in the starter dungeon, but watching Dave and Vinny plow through it is the best thing ever, and I could watch that for hours.

It all depends on the game, I guess. I can't really enjoy watching people play Quake or Unreal Tournament, those just really makes me want to play.

#24 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1958 posts) -

Well, there's this game called StarCraft. Oh, and then there's those there fightin' games. Also, you gotta consider the endurance runs, both which are fantastic.  

So yes, I can and do. 

#25 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I watch people play games more then I actually play games. Like I will specifically buy a game if I see it for a little cheaper if it comes with a behind the scenes look at game dev even if I have no intention of playing the game. I spend more time watching like re-runs on Giantbomb then I do playing games even.

#26 Posted by CaptainObvious (2995 posts) -

Yep.

#27 Posted by Ben_H (3316 posts) -

Yes.  And I do have a subscription... to the GSL.  I get a ticket every month.

#28 Posted by MattBosten (497 posts) -

For the most part no, unless I have absolutely no interest in the game and the video is at least somewhat entertaining.

#29 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1256 posts) -

It varies.

#30 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
Only when the people playing are actually good.   Zing!
This.
#31 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

No, not really. I don't even particularly enjoy GiantBomb Quick Looks. I come to this site for the community, and the Bombcasts.

#32 Posted by Drace (164 posts) -

Yes but it all depends on who's play and what they're playing. I have been watching Let's Plays from Chip Cheezum and Ironicus lately. I find them to be really entertaining and some of the games they're playing (Uncharted 2 & MGS4) I don't have access to.

#33 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -
@Buzzkill said:

Yes, and I have at least 10 different people on youtube I can watch for free.

However, I do think GB deserve some money from my part, I am just too greedy.
But then again, I don't have that much money :(
What would you pick, more games, or a subscription to GB?
#34 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

So you mean GiantBomb? GB isn't really about "watching games". I mean, you can watch a half hour here and there of a game being poorly played, but that doesn't really count.

#35 Posted by Siphillis (1290 posts) -

I don't see them is comparable.  Sometimes I enjoy watching someone play something, but I don't find it substituting any time I might spend actually playing games, unless it is a primarily story-driven experience.

#36 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

It really depends on the game and who is playing it. I enjoy watching skilled people play Street Fighter or other fighting games more than playing the game itself for example (I do like playing Street Fighter though)

#37 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

With some games, they're practically the same thing.

#38 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

No I really don't and I don't see the point of it - I will no doubt draw a lot of flack for this but - that's one of the things that's always confused me about this site - It's just not entertaining to me to watch people (especially people I don't know) play videogames and talk about them. I do appreciate the QuickLooks because it's a really fucking honest way to cover a game, but most the time I jump around and don't bother with the commentary unless I catch them discussing the technical aspects of a game.

#39 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I have a subscription to GSL, does that count?

#40 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

Nope.

#41 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Usually I like to play games myself. But I enjoy quick looks, and watching 4pp broadcast every night. I'll watch a review for a game I already own just cause.  

I also had a friend play Heavy Rain and it was fun watching his decisions and poking fun at the werid moments of the game. There are just certain types of games I think that would be fun to watch. Something story or atmosphere driven like Metal Gear, or Resident Evil, or Condemmed I wouldn't mind watching some.

#42 Posted by SkylarTrace (118 posts) -

Depends on the game.

#43 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

I regularly watch fighting game and starcraft tourns. I always prefer to play single player games though.

#44 Posted by Kinsella (59 posts) -

Sure, I watch Game Center CX. Watching Arino try to beat games like Castlevania 3 or Ninja Gaiden is a good time.