Do you dread the impending 'next-gen' wars?

• 126 results
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I dread how much it's going to cost me ;__;

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By killr0y

@Rowr said:

@killr0y said:

Rumors are already beginning to surface in the Sony and Microsoft camps, and while they are just stupid rumors, there is a large swath of the gaming community that jumps before they look. This leads to thousands, if not millions of people, completely uninformed. But I think when console companies straight up lie or provide half-truths, that says even more about how much humanity has the capacity to suck balls.

One rumor circulating mentions how the PS4 is going to support 4k resolutions. This already has uninformed idiots believing that teh grafix are going to out out-of-this-world. When Sony announced 1080P support, they had the PS3 fanboys laughing their asses off at the 360's comparitively puny support for 720P (before Microsofted updated this with a simple firmware tweak). What was the truth? The truth was that neither the PS3 nor the 360 could output natively at those resolutions without suffering ridiculous framerate hits. So the vast majority of all games today are natively rendered at 720P (or even lower), and simply upscaled to the HD resolution that the TV supports.

4K I hope is nothing more than a rumor, because I really don't want to see the industry devolve into a stupid numbers war that does nothing but hurt and confuse the consumer. Marketing is one thing, but forcing a video chip to include a spec that never gets used because its totally impractical is nothing short of misleading people.

There is a big difference between healthy competition, and lying & cheating.

So you start by talking down rumours and people buying into them. You lament "millions" of people falling into being uninformed.

And then you proceed to talk about one and fearfully make a bunch of stupid assumptions.

There are no assumptions being made in my argument. The only stupid assumption being made is the one you just presented.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By maginnovision

I just buy everything and ignore everyone.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By viking_funeral

The two great console wars -- the 16-bit SNES/Genesis and the current PS3/360 battles -- seem to be because both systems are/were so similar to each other, and sold so close to the same numbers, that it magnified every little difference.

I don't think we're going to see that next gen. I'm pretty sure whatever Sony does is going to come as a surprise, and I think Microsoft also has something up their sleeve. More than anything, I'm looking forward to seeing what each maker's ace-in-the-whole is going to be.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#57  Edited By isomeri

@FancySoapsMan said:

I dread how much it's going to cost me ;__;

Word.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By killr0y

@GrantHeaslip said:

@killr0y said:

You have no grasp of how marketing works, do you? Marketing doesn't straight up come out with lies saying, "All our games will be at 4k resolution." They instead say, "Our system supports 4k!" and let the consumer draw ill-conceived conclusions from it. If you don't know this already then I don't expect you to understand.

Stop with the patronizing bullshit -- I know how marketing works. You're arguing they shouldn't include a useful feature because a marketing department might mischaracterize it, and that makes no sense.

Duder, get off your high horse. I've said nothing about arguing against including features. I said marketers will spin bullshit or marginally relevent specs and make them huge bullet points on the back of the box. Most people don't know the difference between a pixel and a polygon, and they sure as shit don't understand the difference between playing video at 4K and rendering a game at 4K. Believe it or not, people still mainly buy consoles to play games, so its in that context which the consumer will contemplate specs, whether its Mhz, RAM, CPU cores, or what have you. You want to pretend that it doesn't impact consumers' buying decisions for better or worse, good for you. But if you are going to argue the point with me, next time you should back your shit up with some actual facts and examples or you aren't adding anything to the conversation.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because Im pretty excited for the new consoles that are going to come out.  

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By guiseppe

Probably won't be any worse than any other generation. So, no.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By Hunter5024

I really hope Sony and Microsoft try to outdo each other with awesome features, but Im going to avoid all that drama on forums and such. I can't imagine there will be too huge a difference between the two systems, much like this generation.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By tourgen

I don't expect the hardware is going to be all that different between the two. Certain people will still feel a strong need to justify their purchasing decision in a public forum though. So yeah we'll still get dumb console fights.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By killr0y

@GrantHeaslip said:

@killr0y said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@killr0y said:

You have no grasp of how marketing works, do you? Marketing doesn't straight up come out with lies saying, "All our games will be at 4k resolution." They instead say, "Our system supports 4k!" and let the consumer draw ill-conceived conclusions from it. If you don't know this already then I don't expect you to understand.

Stop with the patronizing bullshit -- I know how marketing works. You're arguing they shouldn't include a useful feature because a marketing department might mischaracterize it, and that makes no sense.

Duder, get off your high horse. I've said nothing about arguing against including features. I said marketers will spin bullshit or marginally relevent specs and make them huge bullet points on the back of the box.

• "4K I hope is nothing more than a rumor, because I really don't want to see the industry devolve into a stupid numbers war that does nothing but hurt and confuse the consumer."
  • "My argument is about how 4k is going to be nothing but a bullshit marketing bullet on the next gen console brochures"

Most people don't know the difference between a pixel and a polygon, and they sure as shit don't understand the difference between playing video at 4K and rendering a game at 4K. Believe it or not, people still mainly buy consoles to play games, so its in that context which the consumer will contemplate specs, whether its Mhz, RAM, CPU cores, or what have you. You want to pretend that it doesn't impact consumers' buying decisions for better or worse, good for you.

You're continuing to act as if nobody could possibly have any use for 4k support, and not only now, but in 8-10 years (when the PS4 will presumably still be around). And you still haven't explained what's so bad about including 4k support other than that somebody might buy a PS4 because it supports 4k without fully understanding the technology. I hate to break it to you, but that applies to basically every consumer electronics device ever made. I also can't help but find it a bit weird how emotionally wrapped up you seem with Sony potentially getting away with misleading someone over a minor feature.

But if you are going to argue the point with me, next time you should back your shit up with some actual facts and examples or you aren't adding anything to the conversation.

I have. Why do you think you can make blatantly incorrect statements about what either us did or didn't say when all of the posts are right in front of us.

I can't tell if you are intentionally being a troll or if you really can't grasp anything I'm saying. I'm going to give your intelligence the benefit of the doubt and go with the former.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By AuthenticM

Honestly, I don't think fanboys are what they were six years ago. The days of hateful comments and threats is over. I think. I guess we'll know next year.

If you want a good exemple of what the war was like when the 360 launched, check this out: http://editorials.teamxbox.com/comments/1136/Sony-and-The-Hype-Machine/. You will not believe what you will read. In particular, search for the user 5hadowsB1e3d420. Read all of the comments if you can spare 20 minutes or so. Insanity. That's what TeamXbox was good for. Good ridance I say.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I'll buy them all if they have games I want to play, so I don't care.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By killr0y

@AuthenticM said:

Honestly, I don't think fanboys are what they were six years ago. The days of hateful comments and threats is over. I think. I guess we'll know next year.

If you want a good exemple of what the war was like when the 360 launched, check this out: http://editorials.teamxbox.com/comments/1136/Sony-and-The-Hype-Machine/. You will not believe what you will read. In particular, search for the user 5hadowsB1e3d420. Read all of the comments if you can spare 20 minutes or so. Insanity. That's what TeamXbox was good for. Good ridance I say.

I'm not really talking about pothead fanboys so much as just having to mentally filter out the drivel from the marketing campaigns. Sony was indeed brutal last time, but that's to be expected when your system doesn't ship for a year after your competition's. Now that they are going head-to-head it could very well be a battle royale. And this, despite both systems potentially being twin brothers when it comes to CPU/GPU.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Getz

I am saving up my money and I'm going to build myself a high-end gaming setup. If this generation has taught me anything, it's that Microsoft doesn't give a shit about me, and Nintendo doesn't really know what to do next. Never did buy a PS3 but I don't feel like I missed out. I'm abstaining from "The War" and I'll be glad to be rid of it. They don't want me anymore; they wanna push Kinect and Netflix and I say fuck 'em.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By killr0y

@Getz said:

I am saving up my money and I'm going to build myself a high-end gaming setup. If this generation has taught me anything, it's that Microsoft doesn't give a shit about me, and Nintendo doesn't really know what to do next. Never did buy a PS3 but I don't feel like I missed out. I'm abstaining from "The War" and I'll be glad to be rid of it. They don't want me anymore; they wanna push Kinect and Netflix and I say fuck 'em.

I've got an i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz, 16 GB of 1600Mhz RAM, & a Radeon 6770. I prefer playing games on my Xbox.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'll be sitting in my golden castle in the clouds as a member of the PC Gaming Master Race, wondering why all the primitive console peasants are making all that noise.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#72  Edited By monkeyking1969

Nah, I think the PS4 and XB720 fans will get along for once because outside forces will bring them closer.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By saethir

I'll probably continue to get most of my games on PC, and maybe get a ps4 just because I tend to like the Sony exclusives more than the Microsoft ones.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I dread the impending next gen consoles. Yeesh, my wallet is going to get a thrashing next year(allegedly?).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MikkaQ

There's kinda no point in debating the relative graphical qualities of each of the new consoles when a PC will kick the shit out them out of the gate.

No, I'm more interested in features. Do I still have to use backwards-ass Microsoft points? Will Sony continue to use the abomination that is the XMB? That kinda shit.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By killr0y

@MikkaQ said:

There's kinda no point in debating the relative graphical qualities of each of the new consoles when a PC will kick the shit out them out of the gate.

No, I'm more interested in features. Do I still have to use backwards-ass Microsoft points? Will Sony continue to use the abomination that is the XMB? That kinda shit.

Sorry but the graphics argument is overstated. PC's have been facing diminishing returns in graphics for the past 5 years. There's a reason why this console generation is still going strong. It's because the games still look damn good on 6 year old hardware.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MikkaQ

@killr0y said:

@MikkaQ said:

Sorry but the graphics argument is overstated. PC's have been facing diminishing returns in graphics for the past 5 years. There's a reason why this console generation is still going strong. It's because the games still look damn good on 6 year old hardware.

Do you really think it's the consoles that have been bottlenecking PC development though? I really don't believe that, at some point it's just too damn expensive to develop assets that look that nice. The next generation is going to bring console games closer to what you can achieve with a PC now, but I don't think that they are going to be pushing advances in graphics at all, because at some point the cost is too great for the return.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#78  Edited By Hector

War...war never changes.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#79  Edited By supermonkey122

No, I don't go on the Gametrailers forums anymore.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

No way, I'm ready for em. COME AT ME BRO!

Plus its pretty tame around here. I'm forever grateful crap like system wars doesn't infect this place.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#81  Edited By csl316

Back half of this gen has focused on adding more and more applications, making each system a media hub. Hopefully new tech gets them to focus on games again. Dammit

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#82  Edited By DarthOrange

@killr0y said:

@AuthenticM said:

I'm not really talking about pothead fanboys so much as just having to mentally filter out the drivel from the marketing campaigns. Sony was indeed brutal last time, but that's to be expected when your system doesn't ship for a year after your competition's. Now that they are going head-to-head it could very well be a battle royale. And this, despite both systems potentially being twin brothers when it comes to CPU/GPU.

Speaking of battle royal, you want to see angry internet fanboys just go to neogaf. Here is the Battle Royal thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485438&page=50

It probably won't be too big a problem on this site. Besides, I enjoy seeing the rage unfold on youtube and comments and message boards around the internet. I can't wait to see all the new songs! This one was always my favorite, it was just so damn catchy.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By GoofyGoober

No but I am excited to see some new stuff for teh future.

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Seastalk

It's not really a war... it's more of a slow grinding of gears on a series of old railroad tracks.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Devil240Z

I wish Microsoft would throw in the towel already! Sony is the clear winner here!

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By HerbieBug

Looking forward to a new set of consoles! About damn time.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#87  Edited By Svenzon

As a game store employee, I am not looking forward to hearing fanboys get all offended and go "PS4, of course!" when I ask them if they want the game for PS4 och Durango. Also not terribly thrilled about having to explain a whole new set of technical terms to ignorant parents who stop listening as soon as I mention something they haven't heard before.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By John1912

I usually get the two major systems out there since NES, and Sega. Im sure Ill be getting an Xbox before I get a PS4 (just use it for exclusives). Sony usually pisses me off with their hardware choices. They need to get their head out of their ass, stop making their own hardware that provides no real world benefits, costs more to make, and increases developer time and costs. The developer thing is what bugs the shit out of me. You make a high end product that caters to developer ease of use. Theres no excuse not to.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By napalm

No, because being a twenty-five year old career man, I'm kind of over it.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By HerbieBug

I want to see Valve make a surprise entry into the console business just to see what they'd do with it.

Apple too.

I want new blood. Shake things up a bit.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Nope! I'm really excited for the next round of consoles to make their debut. I think we've had the current batch of systems for just about long enough, and with Microsoft pulling far ahead of Sony in terms of sales I look forward to what the latter might do to win back the general public. Of course, I'll be going for both as soon as they launch because like a bird I am attracted to shiny things. And I occasionally poop on your car.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By beeftothetaco

Nope. After hearing about all that no-backward-compatibility and always-online bullshit, I decided to get a bumpin' PC. Never going back.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#93  Edited By krazy_kyle

I love the hardware wars. It's very entertaining watching fanboys scrambling for facts for why their console is far superior. Bring on the next generation I say.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By begilerath

@EquitasInvictus said:

@falserelic said:

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

War what is it good for?

Good God y'all.

absolutely nothing.

SAY IT AGAIN Y'ALL!!!

War, it ain't nothing But a heartbreaker

Friend only to the undertaker!

Ooooh, war. It's an enemy to all mankind

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By NTM

No, I don't see a lot of console wars anymore, or at least not around here, GameSpot, IGN, or Game Trailers, than again, I don't really read that many comments on any of these sites except for here. It's more about die-hard PC players crapping on consoles. Even if there was stuff like that going on, I wouldn't really pay any attention to it. I'm not one with bias when it comes to video games, every system has something great, so there'd be no purpose for me to view that stuff.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Karl_Boss

No because I just don't pay attention to it.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Gruff182

Nah. It's hilarious watching two groups of numpties, argue over who gets to be called the dumbest.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By iam3green

i don't want a next generation. i'm happy with my consoles. no, i don't dread next generation. i enjoy hearing when fanboys have to say about their console.

one thing i don't want to see is downloadable games. i have slow internet so it takes like 12 hours to download 5gig game. i don't mind driving 15 minutes to get a game.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By MideonNViscera

I'm more concerned about how badly both companies, plus publishers are going to fuck us around this coming gen.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By stinky

@HerbieBug said:

I want to see Valve make a surprise entry into the console business just to see what they'd do with it.

Apple too.

I want new blood. Shake things up a bit.

you are referring to internet Armageddon.