Do you enjoy reading about video games more than playing them?

• 60 results
kzebski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kzebski

I think it would be fair to say that I spend more time reviewing sites like Giant Bomb, Gamespot, Destructoid, Kotaku, and Escapist than I do playing. This includes reviews, written features and video content.

Is the editorializing occasionally more interesting than the subject matter? Or do you think I'm nuts?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Nope. Quick Looks, the Bombcasts, and TNT's are interesting because I... well, I don't want to say I know the GB crew, but I've kept up with the site long enough to know who they are and gotten a general, er, feel (?) for what they like (!?).

To be honest, I don't really visit any other gaming site and almost all of my gaming news actually comes from forays onto these forums. I find that I get a better breadth of knowledge about the gaming world today just by clicking of the Forums tab of this site than I would if I checked IGN every day or something.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By upwarDBound

Not really though I do like reading about them a fair bit.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theguy

Hmm as far as pure enjoyment goes I enjoy my time with games more but I don't know, I guess the two activities complement each other. I probably spend a bit more time reading about games but the two are very different experiences for me. It really depends on the mood I'm in and of course the games and articles I'm currently playing / reading.

EDIT: As far as specific games go, I love reading about EVE Online but I have no interest in playing it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hell no. I do, however, like writing about them quite a bit.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Nope, playing them is still the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@kzebski: I try very hard not to fall down that hole. I try very hard not to watch quick looks of games I already own and can play at any time. I try not to pay attention to bombcast talk about games I have, but have not finished yet.

I feel that it kind of defeats the purpose of watching the content in the first place.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikeeegeee

I spent a disgusting amount of time with World of Warcraft. What's even more disgusting is how much more time I spent reading about it rather than playing it. Theorycrafting takes time, and that's the only example I can think of.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

I like playing AND reading about video games.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By skadave

Since i have two kids (ages 4 and 9 months) i feel that i spend way more time reading about video games than actually playing them. I just don't have the time to sit down and play games for a couple hours (when i do it's usually Friday/Saturday night after 11pm).

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Franstone

I agree in a way, for the most part I find that I read or as I call it "research" games more than play them sometimes.

: )

Then I go on marathons of playing games that completely wipes that out.

It all stems from a love for playing games.

I get where you are coming from though.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By pyromagnestir

I also wonder sometimes if I don't spend more time watching quick looks and other Giant bomb content than I do playing fucking games. Then I drop a hundred hours into Skyrim or something and realize nope. It just seems that way sometimes.

Playing games is by far the best part, I just do the other stuff to find cool games to play. Or because it's more interesting than most of what's on tv. I'd rather watch GB content than Storage Wars, for example.

kzebski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kzebski

I think my predilection comes from the way I go through games. I seem to exhaust my interest in them quickly.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaggE

Sometimes, yeah.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By sins_of_mosin

No.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themangalist

Sadly yes. I can refresh Giantbomb every 15 minutes and fail to fire up my last saves on the games I intend on playing... I guess that has to do with me having to concentrate 100% and devote at least 3 hours in every sitting :/

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IkariNoTekken

In most cases, no, I don't enjoy it more.

However, recently I've been struggling to find an urge to play anything so I've just been watching QL's of new releases to see what they're like.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Some times yes I do read about games more then play them, it all depends if I have a game holding my interest at the moment.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By nickux

I don't think I really rate my interests in this way, it's hard to explain. When I think about the things I love in terms of hobbies/interests it's stuff like movies, podcasts, games, books, technology, etc. But I don't think I prefer or enjoy one of them more than any other. They all just exist on a pretty even plain.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Masha2932

Most times yes. The fact that I can't afford most games on their release period means I enjoy reading/listening about them. I also enjoy features and opinion pieces on the industry and its people.

A good article by Jim Sterling I enjoyed recently was:http://www.gamefront.com/videogames-loving-the-art-hating-the-business/ In fact a lot of his Gamefront stuff is pretty decent.

I still enjoy playing games though, because only then can I experience them myself and form my own opinions and feelings.

kzebski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kzebski

@Masha2932: That article has a nice header. Not a bad read either.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Socialone

You're not alone. For some reason I don't feel as guilty for browsing gaming sites for 3 hours than for actually playing 3 hours. That's dumb, but I can't do anything about it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By nightriff

I think over the past couple months, I've enjoyed watching (GB videos) people play games more than I have actually played them. Been kinda a drought of games that have controlled my life

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By DarthOrange

That's like asking do you enjoy watching other people have sex more then doing it yourself.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dourin

I tend to talk about/write about them more than I play them, but that's mostly due to having a new child, so my actual play time has diminished considerably as of late. That, and I really like talking about video games.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By JCGamer

I've probably enjoyed reading and listening about skyrim more than I've enjoyed actually playing the thing.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Akrid

the imagination is often far better then the reality when it comes to games... It can be much more interesting salivating over something that could be the best thing ever made.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By Little_Socrates

In the case of many games, yes. For example, I'd rather hear about Duke Nukem than ever play it. The same is true of Final Fantasy VIII and IX and many other games.

But in general? Usually, a great game is better played than read.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BraveToaster

I like playing them more. Reading about them only makes the wait for the release date harder.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Giantstalker

Nope.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By CJduke

@mikeeegeee said:

I spent a disgusting amount of time with World of Warcraft. What's even more disgusting is how much more time I spent reading about it rather than playing it. Theorycrafting takes time, and that's the only example I can think of.

Tell me about it. I have played hundreds of hours of Starcraft 2, yet I'm pretty sure I have spent more time reading about it and watching pros play.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#32  Edited By Slag

I do that sometimes. More often as I get older. Some games I look at and just know I want to play and think "man I don't have time to get sucked into this 80hr "RPG" Reading can be a quick placebo without the time, financial or mental commitment.

Probably also helps that now I've probably played over a thousand different games and beaten several hundred, that there isn't much new stuff in games to surprise me anymore. A lot of games I want to play I can already visualize what they play like or what happens in them, so the grind can feel longer than it used to.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By TobbRobb

It really depends. When I have a game grip me, I can't stop playing and it's the best thing ever. But most of the time, like right now. I just hang around reading stuff online with some occasional gaming. I'm hoping Diablo 3 will get me into a new gamingbinge. I usually don't get more than 2-3 games a year that does this.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jay444111

I like reading about Dwarf Fortress but I doubt that I would ever be able to get into it for many obvious reasons.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jams

I read and watch videos about games way more than I play them. For me it isn't a time restraint problem. It's more that as I got older, the types of games I like to play shrunk. Back when I was younger I'd play anything thrown in front of me. Now I'm really picky and a lot of the time I'm satisfied off of the hour long quick looks. Say for a game like Prototype 2. I have no interest at all in that game and watching to quick look left me feeling satisfied that I got an idea of what the game is about and that I know I wouldn't want to play it. Also at time the industry can be more interesting that the games are.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HerbieBug

Yes. Part of that is decreased willingness to play mid range quality games. I would rather watch a quicklook while eating supper and get the gist of the experience than actually play the game myself.

Actual hands on is reserved for games I have a strong interest in. I don't play iffy games to pass the time anymore.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In college, no, I played a lot and had a little interest in reading about games, just mostly looked up release dates, and occasionally a review if I was on the fence about a game. But when I started a career I spent less and less time at home, which meant more time reading about games. That was around the time GiantBomb started, so I don't mind it much.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

sure, i enjoy about video game stuff.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By AngelN7

Nope I hardly remember the last time I read a preview/review/info or in dept article about something game reladed I just read headlines and a little bit of what the news post says I do like watching videos because it serves the porpuse of a review to me, but no I enjoy playing games more than the side stuff about gaming.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Seppli

No - though it helps to decompress after playing a game. Writing and reading about games is good for my videogame digestion. And it's always nice to have a little anticipation in my life.

It's part of my gaming lifestyle.

Yagya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Yagya

Who doesn't?! I mean, I feel too lazy to turn on the tv and console, so since my computer is on anyway, I'll read about them, discuss them, or watch youtube videos about them. I'm slowly getting myself to play more as Steam is just a few clicks away...

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Daveyo520

Well watching and hearing about them. I don't really read like anything on this site.

Flip175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Flip175

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I spend a lot of time keeping up on news concerning various interests - games, music, movies, books - but don't spend as much time actually partaking in those interests. I have a tendency to feel kind of antsy if I feel like my time could be better spent, and as a result I neglect reading books or watching movies or playing games because even though I know I would enjoy them, I don't have the patience or attention for them sometimes. It's weird.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NTM

I just think you haven't yet realized why this is. It's not because you enjoy it more, it's probably because you don't have the money to pay for all the games you'd like to play, or can play, so you instead spend time reading about them. I notice that every time I get a new game; I'm busier playing the game than I spend time on a game site. I think if you picked one game that you didn't have, but somehow got, you'd probably be playing that instead of being on here reading about other games. The only thing you may come on here for is to discuss what you think about the game. Make sense? If you had all the games in the world, you wouldn't be on here as much, because you'd be playing. I don't actually think you enjoy coming on game sites to read about them more so than playing them, maybe just as much, but not more. You're confused!

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rpgee

Here's a thought:

If the games were bad, why would they be written about?

That's a shitty argument, but it's the crux of my opinion. I like reading about games, and mostly finding out about games I haven't played but are apparently cool. But playing the games is always more satisfying to me in the end.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Klaimore

Reading about them its like Eve Online I don't want to play it but I love the stories.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read/watch much more about video games than I play them, but I enjoy my time playing games more when it's a good game. I only watch/read about them so much because the GB staff makes videos hilarious and the articles are well-writ and interesting.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#48  Edited By Dimsey

Depends what games I'm currently playing, but there are certainly times I've enjoyed reading about games more than playing them. 
Happens more than I'd care to admit really.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49  Edited By zyn

What? No. Games are for playing, not reading.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By RainDog505

While I have become super interested in the inner workings of game design (through the prism of the Double Fine documentary and Indie Game: The Movie), I would much rather play most games than read a dissection of them.