Do You Ever Double Dip On Game Purchases?

• 103 results
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By sammo21

So this year I have found myself buying the same game on different platforms.  Recent examples include Super Meat Boy, Monday Night Combat, Mass Effect 2 (just ordered Ps3 version), and a couple of others.  Normally I would feel like this is a waste of money, but I still know I will play a them a lot.  The fact that a few of those were so much cheaper on Steam during their holiday sale helped, but I know that typically I would feel its a waste of money.  Do any of you ever make this a habit with games you really enjoy?

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By HaroldoNVU

Very, very rarely. I can do that some times if I think I'm getting an enhanced version in some way (i.e. buying Super Mario 64 DS even though I had the original Super Mario 64)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By MEATBALL

I've double dipped on Super Meat Boy and Mass Effect 2 thanks to the holiday steam sale. Oh and I just remembered I bought Just Cause 2 on Steam in spite of already owning it for the PS3 because the appeal of mods was too much when it dropped to $7.50 during the Steam 'treasure hunt'. Pretty foolish, really.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

The only time I do it is when I regret buying a game on aspecific platform. For example I bought Bad Company 2 on the PC then when I noticed that I was having trouble finding matches and everyone I knew had the 360 version I migrated over to that one.
Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Raymayne

No, it's the most stupid thing you can ever do, and that includes beating yourself to death with a packet of M&M's. 

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Ronald

Only because of Steam sales for superior versions. I have the Orange Box on 360, but bought Team Fortress 2 on Steam when it was on sale. Same goes for Portal (although that was free on Steam so does it really count?)

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By kalmis

Yes, but only Indie games. Have done it twice this year. Super Meat Boy (Steam/Xbox 360) and VVVVVV (Steam/Kongregate)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Only once. My PC could not handle Half-Life 2 back in the day, so I bought the X-Box port  - which crashed on map load. Fun times.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust

I've done it a lot recently since I upgraded my PC.  I repurchased Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Saints Row 2, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Deus Ex.  Some games came in packages, others were replacements for disc games I gave away, and a few I just wanted because I can use mods to change things up.   Over on the console, I've downloaded some arcade titles I used to have as part of "classic arcade" collections.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Djeffers03

Im gonna re-buy a few games for PC when I get mine set up like Bad Company 2, Valve games like L4D and Half Life 2. I currently have them on the 360 but they're pretty different on PC and with Steam they're all pretty cheap.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I own multiple copies of TF2, Portal, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Super Meat Boy, and WoW.

I didn't want to buy WoW again, but shit happened. 

Also I owned the Orange Box and some other Valve games before I got a decent computer, so you know. 

Justifiable. 

Kind of.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Venatio

I have the Orange Box on PC and 360, couldn't resist the Steam sale, mostly because of TF2

Got the PC and 360 version of Mirror's Edge, again, Steam

And Burnout Paradise on PC and PS3, the PC version was free on the EA site so I figured why not

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog

No.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DeF

it's weird how many doubles I have (or had at one point) of some games.

for example:

braid (XBLA and PC [Humble Bundle #2])
world of goo (wiiware and PC [Humble bundle #1])
half life 2 (standalone + orange box)
ocarina of time (n64 cart, wind waker bonus disc, zelda collector's edition and soon the 3DS remake [if that counts])
resident evil 4 (bought the censored gamecube version, the uncensored gamecube version and the uncensored wii version [but sold the former two])
the witcher enhanced edition (got the rerelease version whcih has all the bonus on a dvd and then I got the first edition which has the big box with all the bonus cds/dvds/books separetely)
zelda a link to the past (snes, gba)
zelda majora's mask (n64, zelda collector's edition)
banjo tooie (n64, XBLA)
chrono trigger (snes [had to sell it later, though], ds)
super mario all stars (snes, wii)
resident evil (gcn remake, ds port of the original if you wanna count that) 
terranigma (snes - I got it for christmas in '96, sold it later to get money for an n64 and then bought it again a year later cause I missed it, so I literally bought the exact same game twice^^)
mega man 2 (anniversary collection on gcn, virtual console)

and I'll probably buy the PS3 version of mass effect 2 at some point in time

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TorMasturba

I double-dip on games I really like sometimes, recently I've double-dipped on Mass Effect 1 and 2, L4D 1 and 2, Dead Rising 2 and Dragon Age: Origins + Awakenings. (one dip for PC and the other for Xbox 360 for all these games. My PS3 kind of takes a back seat normally. I don't know why.)  
I just feel about excellently done games the same way I feel about Giant Bomb, I just want them to keep doing what they're already doing, and help them improve their "product", as it were by giving them some more of my cash.

In the case of Mass Effect 1 and 2. I want Mass Effect 3 to be Biowares' absolute, heart and soul, best effort. 
So I give them extra cash to, hopefully, help them achieve this very lofty goal.

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By AndyPhifer

I own Plants vs Zombies on both my Mac, iPhone and 360. 
I own Peggle (and Peggle Nights) on both my Mac, iPhone and 360.  
I own Zuma on both my Mac and 360, and if it was on the iPhone, I'd buy it there also.

Popcap is better than Nintendo at making me rebuy the same game over and over.
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MudMan

Shamefully, increasingly yes.  

It needs to stop. It's getting ridiculous.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Aus_azn

Orange Box (360/PC)
Left 4 Dead (360/PC)
Call of Duty 4 (360/PC/PS3)
Modern Warfare 2 (360/PS3)
SSX Tricky (PS2/GCN/PS2)
Lumines (360/PSP/PC)
Burnout Paradise (360/PC)

That's just about everything.

RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By RedHatDrew

Yes, HOWEVER, it's mostly because I used to play a lot of games at work (yes, they were cool with it) and my family uses my XBOX for Netflix. A lot. 

Also, Minecraft Steve as a Super Meat Boy PC exclusive. :D

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demyx

lol, i bought Borderlands on PC and PS3, both for full price, and within a week of each other....Also Oblivion, but about 3 years after I bought it on PS3, and i got it on PC.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By MannyMAR

I know I've done it with Steam a couple of times, Half-Life 2/ Orange Box comes to mind. Also, I've bought Symphony of the Night three times already.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Example1013

The only time this is acceptable is when you're spelling out your suicide note with the first letter of the titles of games, and you don't have enough letters. That's it.

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheSmashing

Bad Company 2. First on PS3 and now on PC  

Blame Steam sales. They are just too good to pass up

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have double dipped quite a bit thanks to Steam, and am likely to continue in the future.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cgoodno

Seems I do this all the time with BioWare games.  It happens otherwise only if a game I already own on another platform is part of a deal on Steam (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum being part of a group deal). 

Purposeful double-dipping 
 - Mass Effect  (Xbox 360 and PC)
 - Dragon Age: Origins (PS3 and PC)
 - Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 (hard and soft copies) 
 - Jade Empire (Xbox and PC)
 - Knights of the old Republic 1 & 2 (Xbox, PS2, and PC) 

Because they were part of package deals 
 - Borderlands (PS3 and PC)
 - Batman: Arkham Asylum  (PS3 and PC)
 - Grant Theft Auto 3 (PS2 and PC)

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#27  Edited By sammo21

I just did a mental inventory and this generation seems the worse for me.  I mean, its slightly understandable to have Ocarina of Time on 64 and say you want it on VC, but as a lot of have said we have double dipped on games THIS generation lol.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hosstile17

I have done it a few times. Some virtual console stuff and the orange box on Steam and 360.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By melcene

I'm normally against doing this too, but over the last year or so, we've done it with Sacred 2, Borderlands, and Dragon Age.  All three are on PC and 360.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#30  Edited By Grumbel

I never do it at full price, but when the games are cheaper and offer something different on another platform (graphics, controls, mods, etc.), sure. 

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SonicFire

Mass Effect 1 and 2, Oblivion, Dead Space, Bioshock... 

Probably some others too...
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gmanall

Sim Coppter(Best game ever) is the only game i've bought twice

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By warxsnake

Games that I had previously bought off Steam I buy again on Steam just cause. 

Also games that are "exclusive" for a certain amount of time, I buy again once they come out on PC because I want to support my favorite platform, and because that version of the game ends up being a better experience (on my hardware configuration and entertainment setup). 

And finally, games that I get for discount from ubisoft I buy again because I want to support the company and my friends on the other teams (one copy remains sealed, the other I use).

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Rarely.  I've recently bought a few games on Steam that I actually already own, just for the convenience of not having to use the discs.  I'm pretty tempted to get Neverwinter Nights on GoG as well, that game needs so many different discs and CD keys, it's a nightmare to install.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#35  Edited By Marino  Staff
@sammo21: 

Why Do I Have Two (or More) of These?

For some reason (sometimes not a good one), I own more than copy of certain games.

1. Beyond Good & Evil

2 - I bought it first on Xbox and finished it. Then one day I saw it for $10 on PS2 (new) and bought simply to 1 the sales numbers.

2. Burnout Revenge

2 - So I got this on Xbox and played a few hours of it. Then I bought it on 360. I would tell you it was because I wanted to play it in HD, but honestly it was probably my first clear case of being a whore for achievements.

3. Final Fantasy V

2 - It's part of Final Fantasy Anthology on PSX and then I also picked it up on GBA at some sale at Circuit City probably.

4. Final Fantasy XI Online

2 - I was a sucker and bought the PS2 hard drive. I played FF11 for maybe a week before I gave up. Then I bought the 360 version at Kmart for $5 for the hell of it.

5. Game Boy

2 - I've got one complete with the box. And my step-dad found one in his attic a couple years ago and gave it to me.

6. Game Boy Advance

5 - I won a regular (Arctic) GBA at E3 2001. I bought a Gold SP on black Friday 2003 (came with Mario 3). I bought a NES SP when those came out because...well...it's awesome. I picked up a Pearl SP on black Friday 2004 (came with Metroid Fusion. And I bought a GB Micro at the Toys R Us for $40 when they were going out of business.

7. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec

2 - I bought it when it came out. Then I also ended up with a red box version somehow. It came with a PS2 bundle for a while but I didn't buy the bundle. I don't know how I got it.

8. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

2 - On PS2 and PSP. And I have no idea why I bought either, honestly.

9. Kid Icarus

2 - I have the original cartridge and on Wii Virtual Console.

10. Killer Instinct

2 - SNES version and original Game Boy version.

11. The Legend of Zelda

3 - Original gold cartridge for NES, the GBA NES Classics version, and on Wii Virtual Console

12. The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition

3 - I got one from Nintendo Power. The other two I'm not really sure. Probably when I worked at GameStop, I bought them from people trading them in. I kept two of them sealed though.

13. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

3 - Original SNES version in the box, GBA version that had Four Swords included, and on Wii Virtual Console. It's my favorite game of all time except for maybe EQ.

14. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2 - N64 Collector's Edition and the GameCube Master Quest disc.

15. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

2 - Got on the Wii on launch day. Then was given one on Gamecube as a gift for collection purposes. As you can tell, I like me some Zelda.

16. Mario Kart 64

2 - Still have the N64 version in the box, then also bought it on Wii VC.

17. Mario Tennis

2 - N64 and GBC. The GBC color version almost requires that you have the N64 version in order to unlock characters.

18. Mortal Kombat

2 - SNES version (ugh) and the Game Gear version (double ugh)

19. Mortal Kombat 3

2 - It was the first PSX game I owned. I also have the Genesis version when someone left a bunch of Genesis games at the GameStop I worked at after we told them we didn't take them anymore.

20. Mortal Kombat II

2 - SNES version cost like $80 on release day if I remember correctly. I also bought it on PSN.

21. NBA Jam

2 - I have the SNES version still in the box. I also have it for Game Gear. You hve to use the start button for turbo. Really.

22. NBA Jam Tournament Edition

2 - I got the SNES version right after it came out. I got the Genesis version the same way I got MK3 on Genesis.

23. NBA Live 96

2 - I bought the PSX version when I was trying to collect all the "tall box" PlayStation games a while back. And I picked up the Genesis version the same way I got MK3.

24. NES

2 - I have one Action Set with a gray Zapper and one with an orange Zapper.

25. Nintendo DS

5 - I bought an original DS on launch day. I then imported an "Enamel Navy" DS Lite from Japan. I bought a Triforce gold DS Lite on black Friday in...2008? Then I bought a DSi on launch day. And I just got a DSi XL for Christmas 2010.

26. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

2 - I have the PSX version and I picked up the Steam version in a bundle deal with Abe's Oddysee

27. Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One

2 - I bought the XBLA version at launch, then I bought the collector's edition of the PC version at PAX.

28. PlayStation

2 - I have the original model from 1995 (still works without being turned upside down) and I have a PSone with the LCD screen attachment.

29. PlayStation 2

2 - I have the original model from launch day (also still works without DRE's) and a silver slim PS2. Both complete with box.

30. PSP

2 - I picked up an original model at launch, then I bought the 2000 series God of War red PSP.

31. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

2 - I grabbed it a buy 2 get 1 sale on Amazon for DS, then it was free on iPhone for a short time.

32. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

2 - I originally had this on Game Gear, then I got a copy on Genesis the same way that I did MK3.

33. Space Channel 5

2 - Original Dreamcast version and the PS2 special edition.

34. Star Fox 64

2 - I picked up the N64 version the day it came out. I also bought it on Wii VC because I'm nostalgia whore.

35. Street Fighter IV

2 - Got it on PS3 and the iPhone version.

36. Super Mario Bros. 3: Super Mario Advance 4

2 - I have the original NES version in the box and Super Mario Advance 4 on GBA.

37. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

2 - Finally bought a copy of this used for PSX a few years ago. And I have the broken-ass version on GBA.

38. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

2 - On PlayStation and the surprisingly good version on iPhone.

39. Xbox 360

2 - Original model from launch day and now the slimmer black version.

40. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

2 - Original gold NES cartridge as well as the GBA "Classic NES Series" version.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By benpack

I never have, but I was so goddamned close to getting Meat Boy on PC.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By audiosnag

I bought Ninja Gaiden 2 again recently after trading it in a while ago...if that counts.

I do so more with movies when i see special editions i missed. I bought Hot Fuzz 3 times...stupid yes, but i don't regret it.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I bought Final Fantasy VII and IX even though I already own (or have owned) them on the PS1. Does that count?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BaneFireLord

I'm totally buying Oblivion on PC when I get a new computer.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By KaosAngel

Just got Greed Corp again for PC.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#41  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

too often, I got half-life, deus ex, red faction and red faction 2 for both PS2 and PC (and I bought HL and Deus Ex for PS2 _after_ I already had them on the PC), I have lots of PC games both in retail releases and on Steam or GOG (generally I only repurchase those when the digital releases offer something I didn't already have, like expansions or DLC that are too hard or expensive to find otherwise). I have Doom 1 on both PC (and there both retail and Steam) and Gameboy Advance, Wing Commander: Prophecy is also a game I have both for PC and GBA, I have Descent and C&C Red Alert 1 for both PS1 and PC, two retail copies of Bioshock 2 (one standard and one collector's edition) and a downright scary amount of copies of the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games.
And I got two DIGITAL copies of Frontlies: Fuel of War, because the first copy I bought I never managed to download without getting corrupted files, and then Steam had some ridiculous sale on it and I felt I should just stop bothering with the first copy.
BioShock and Borderlands are two games I have both retail and Steam copies of that I feel were reasonable to get on steam after already having the retail ones, Bioshock was infested with a horrible implementation of SecuRom that made the game unplayable, and the borderlands DLC is so expensive to buy  in retail or on the official site that I probably did spend less buying the entire game + DLC on Steam thatn I would have just buying the DLC separately.

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Cerogravian

This is Cerogravian, and barring of previously mentioned enhancements in version graphics or control, this is not applying. Exclusive content may be of exceptions, such as Super Meat Boy or analogous.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By defaulttag

i used to have earlier multiplatform games on PS3. once I got my gaming PC, I replaced them all to the PC version (steam/retail disc) including fallout 3, obvlivion, call of duty world at war, bioshock, grand theft auto iv, devil may cry 4, street fighter iv (not super), resident evil 5. 

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FlyingRat

Why the hell would i ever do that?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By damswedon

I own Bioshock on both 360 and PS3. I don't know why, I can't stand playing the game, but I have two copies. I got all the enjoyment I could get when I played it with a friend at his house, so why do I own a copy let alone two? It just doesn't make sense. WHY GOD DAMN IT WHY???

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dragonzord

I'm gonna have to be the guy to post this, huh? 

No Caption Provided
Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By Timing
Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Hell no. I have a shitty PC and a 360. I have no incentive to EVER do that. 

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kishan6

i have like 4 copies of starcraft and brood war

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Far too often, which I usually rationalize to myself until I think it's okay.