Do You Ever Double Dip On Game Purchases?

• 103 results
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By RE_Player1

I can only think of a few rare occasions that some of them don't even feel like double dipping.  
- I bought Mass Effect for the PC twice because I lost the discs of the first one I bought when moving, at least it was only $20. 
- I bought WOW twice for the same reason, couldn't retrive my account so just bought another copy and started fresh.  
- Bought the Orange Box on PC on steam because it was $10 even though I already had it on PS3. 
- I've bought every pair of Pokemon games when they've come out even though they are basically the same, I skipped the GBA Ruby and Saphire though.  
- I bought Resident Evil 4 for the Wii even though I had it on Gamecube. 

ImTheBobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ImTheBobomb

The only game I have ever bought twice was Angry Birds for the ipod touch for 99 cents. I lost my first ipod touch and got a new one. I felt like it was a waste of money too. I guess that is how much of a cheapskate I am.

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By miningguyx360

Dude I have like five cartridges of pokemon blue, red, yellow, gold and silver.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By MrKlorox

Rarely, but sometimes I'll buy the PC port of something I already own on a console. Now paying for more than one of the same game on the same platform is stupid (glares at people who buy something on Steam when they already own a digital copy).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By csl316

Usually with older games.  I own a bunch of versions of Doom, Streets of Rage 2, the Sonic collections, etc..  A few CD's of Starcraft, mainly because when someone took their time returning it to me I needed my fix and just bought another.  And I buy HD remakes and stuff on XBLA.

I got a buddy who buys both special editions of certain games for both the 360/PS3.  That's.... crazy.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#56  Edited By StarvingGamer

Mass Effect
All Freedom Force games
Evil Genius
Max Payne 1 & 2
Jade Empire
KotoR
Beyond Good & Evil
Bioshock
Deus Ex 1 & 2

All on Steam because I can't be arsed to find the actual retail copy and they were all like, $2.50 or something
Except BG&E, that game just deserves more of my money.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By DrRandle

I do so all the time. Super Meat Boy, Borderlands, Portal... I've purchased Peggle no less than 4 times, and plan on the same for Plants vs. Zombies on the DS. When I like a game, I get obsessed so they make more games.

Dilenger93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Dilenger93

I bought super meat boy twice mostly just to support team meat. It was the steam sale but I still felt like I did something; I plan to buy the soundtrack to

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By mracoon

I bought Super Meat Boy again on PC for the exclusive characters and the eventual level editor.

PooffBallzZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By PooffBallzZzZ

I bought TF2 for PC even though I have the ORange Box for 360.  But the PC version is truly the way to play TF2.
bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By bibledoctor

Actually hardly ever, ME2 on the PS3 will be the first time I have done it in a long time. To be honest though I would buy Metro 2033 on my 360 if it wasn't still fifty bucks, its not the same on Steam. I prefer to play my FPS games on a console.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#62  Edited By LordAndrew

I've double-dipped on the same platform. I'm a bad person.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Tennmuerti
@Raymayne said:
" No, it's the most stupid thing you can ever do, and that includes beating yourself to death with a packet of M&M's.  "
Ah, yet another stunningly ignorant rant, why is this not surprising?
There are a multitude of perfectly good reasons to buy some games more than once, hence people doing it.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By blackbird415
@sammo21: I ended up with both pc and xbox360 versions of black ops. Not exactly happy about it though
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#65  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The only physical games I have bought multiple times for multiple systems are Resident Evils 2 and 4. Other than that, I have bought some digital backups for some of my older PC games.  Just in case, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I did it two times. First time was Oblivion for PC, then PS3, since my PC didn't have the specs to match the PS3 until a couple months later. The second time was Dragon Age: Origins, again with PS3, then PC, but this time I was in the process of trading in the PS3 for a XBOX 360. Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to do it for no good reason.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#67  Edited By TobyD81

I've bought some games multiple times across different generations, but Super Meat Boy is the first time I've bought a game on multiple platforms in the same generation.

heromuseum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By heromuseum

I've done this quite a bit with all the Steam sales. Some of them are games I've purchased and then traded in, but when it's on Steam for the price of a burger, how can I say no? 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By animateria

Nah, well, maybe if it's like 3 bucks on a Steam sale... and the other version I had is a DS version.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By NTM

Of course. A lot. Right now I'm playing ME2 on both PC and 360. I like getting games I already have on other systems and never once have I felt it was a waste of money. I have over 1000 games so I can't go into which games I have for all platforms. I may want to get Dead Space on 360 soon, since I already have it on PC and PS3.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By Jeust
@HaroldoNVU said:
" Very, very rarely. "
Me too. Recently I've only done that for Cold Fear (Xbox/PS2/PC), Force Unleashed (Xbox 360/PS 2/DS) and Resident Evil 4 (PS2/Gamecube).
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#72  Edited By beargirl1

all the time 

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#73  Edited By Undeadpool

I did it for Super Street Fighter IV. I originally bought it on PS3, but when I finally broke down and got an Xbox Live Gold account, I wound up buying it on Xbox as well cause it was waaaay more stable and I used the 360 a lot more.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By meteora

GTA IV comes to mind.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Subjugation

I honestly can't think of something I've purchased twice. At least not in the last 5+ years. Now, back when I bought physical CDs I might have bought a game twice simply because I was an idiot and lost the disc.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only time I ever do this is when I have the console version of a game that is clearly superior on the PC (TF2, Oblivion, Monday Night Combat).

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#77  Edited By takua108

I have bought so many games on for 360 and Steam recently just because it's so cheap on Steam that it's frankly ridiculous.

Zurgfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Zurgfrog

Never really like doing that, it to me feels like a waste of money unless theres a HUGE pack of new content.

renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By renachan

Mainly on games I've imported, which that list is very small.

Well and I have two copies of metal great solid 4 because I lost the one for a year and thought I'd never find it. Of course I find it shortly after getting the second copy :/

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#80  Edited By spankingaddict

Braid.. I think that's about it.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By davidwitten22

The only game I've bought mulitiple times is the original Starcraft, which I've bought four times, as over the course of ten years discs tend to get scratched.

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By morosemode

Not really. That said, I do own 3 copies of Red Alert 2.
CuddlyKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By CuddlyKnife

I always buy games over again after getting rid of them before, sometimes three or four times. I either trade them for other games or just give to friends, but eventually i start to miss playing them and have to buy them back online or something.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Scrawnto

I've done it a few times. Recently I got Super Meat Boy for PC despite having bought it for the Xbox. Mostly, this is because the different versions have different unlockable characters. Also, I wanted to be able to play it on the go with my laptop, and I don't own the Xbox for which I purchased the game. 

I've also bought a few games on Steam or GOG that I already owned just to have the convenience of digital distribution and because they were heavily discounted. For example, I repurchased the original Dawn of War and its expansions and Baldur's Gate.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Nasar7

Never, that is madness.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By iam3green

no, i never done that. although i am thinking about doing it with left 4 dead 1. i let a friend borrow it for the xbox 360 and i never see him anymore. he got a free game. i got 2 for the PC and i think it is a lot better on the PC. i am thinking about getting it again, just this time for the PC.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#87  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
@Raymayne:
How would you even manage. There is no way that would kill someone.
GrocersPride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By GrocersPride

I'll do this occasionally if I really like the game. I bought Eternal Sonata at launch and then bought the PS3 version shortly after it came out because I really wanted to try the new content I did that with th GOTY version of Fallout 3 as well for first Xbox, then PS3. I double dipped on Mass Effect, Psychonauts, KOTOR and both Left Dead games on PC and Xbox. I double dipped on Bioshock and the Orange Box for the PC and PS3. Finally, I triple dipped on Mass Effect 2 for the PC, Xbox and PS3 (preorder). 

Most of my PC double dipping is because of crazy low Steam prices and a badass video card that just makes my games look better.

Sadaiyappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Sadaiyappan

I bought Prologue Blu-Ray version, sold it, then I ended up buying the PSN version later.  Mostly because I was little bored with the game I had and I thought it would be fun to race online every once in a while.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By cstrang

I did it with Super Meat Boy and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.  I think that's it, though.

fezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By fezz

I'm going to buy Super Meat Boy again when it's available for Mac. I want to use the level creator.

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Sykosis

Only Fighting games just to fight different people.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By HitmanAgent47

All the time. Pc games are usually delayed. The graphics is of course very superior on the pc so I usually end up buying a game again for that. However my ps3 usually gets the game first, I changed my habit, now I rent it like I rented assassin's creed brotherhood on the ps3. I have two copies of assassin's creed 2, double agent, dragon age orgins, resident evil 5, resident evil 4, rainbow six vegas, batman arkam asylum, there are too many games to remember, however I do have a lot of copies of the same games.

KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By KillerBears

I have now bought Braid THREE times. Once for full price on XBLA, once in some indie bundle on steam (it was with World of Goo and some other stuff that justified it) and then again with the indie bundle #2.  I have yet to even install it on PC.

Damnit, Jonathan Blow.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By scarace360

i usually buy fighting games on more than one console.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By subject2change

Only Demon's Souls. And while it was a Double Dip on the same console. Once was an import version and the other was not.

Rek503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Rek503

I got Max Payne 1 and 2 on the Xbox, and on PC. I've bought Disgaea multiple times. A couple of times for the PS2, once for the DS, and another for the PSP. Oh, and Castlevainia: SOTN for 360 and PS1.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#98  Edited By Torrim

Nothing that wasn't the result of a super-cheap steam sale.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#99  Edited By crusader8463

Yes and no. As a rule of thumb no I never do, but there have been some outlining circumstances that have made me break the rule. For example, the original Mass Effect had the PC version delayed for several months after it came out on the 360. At the time though my computer was garbage and couldn't run it anyway, so I got it on the 360 when it first came out. However, I ended up playing ME 2 on the PC since I now have a computer that can run it and it wasn't delayed like the first one. So I bought the first game on some Steam sale for $5 so that I could make a master save file to transfer across all the games.  

I also did this with the first L4D game. At the time my PC was broken so I bought it on the 360 to play it with a friend, but I hated the game so much on the 360. It was such a horrible game playing it with a controller. I later bought it on the PC during some Steam sale for $20-$30 and fell in love with the game. It's now one of my favourite game franchises of all time, and if you had of told me that when I had only played it on the 360 I would have laughed in your face.  

As for re-buying the game more then once, I can't count how many times I have bought the Command and Conquer games and had to rebuy them later because I lost a CD or a CD key. I really wish EA would just put them all out on steam in a big bundle so I could finally have them all in one place and never need to worry about buying them for the millionth time. 

I have also bought Balder's Gate 2 several times. I bought it back in the day and lost the case over time. Then I bought it again recently off amazon only to find out I was sold a different version then the one they claimed to be selling. Then finally I found the real thing, the nice big huge boxed version in mint condition, on ebay for $20 and I picked it up.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Hot_Karl

Very, very, very, very rarely. Steam might be the only time I would do so, and it'd only be because the game comes in a pack that's cheaper than buying the game that I want separately (or for DLC reasons)

For example- I owned L4D2 on the Xbox for a long, long time. When it came time to buy the new DLC pack, Steam had themselves a sale where L4D2 was on sale for less than what the DLC costs on the Xbox, so I bought it on the PC, got all the DLC for free, and now I'm able to play mods amongst other things for the game.  

Another example- due to a weird glitch on Ubisoft's part, bought the Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 pack (already owned the first game on my PS3, but never played it) for $1. Wanted AssCreed2 so I got it plus a free game.