• 91 results
#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The majority of the Giant Bomb community enjoy video games, this is a hard cold fact. Most of us also enjoy games that may look like children games to a person not familiar with video games or somebody that just plays Call of Duty. These games include Kirby's Epic Yarn, Pokemon games, Viva Pinata, Super Princess Peach etc. Those games in particular are good games, a few of them are even fantastic games, but people who do not play video games and see a 19 year old buying them may think wtf are they doing buying a game that has a cute pink ball of cute on the cover.

So do you ever get embarrassed buying select games, if so what ones?

Would you walk up to the counter with just this?

I am happy buying whatever in a video game specific shop such as GAME or Gamestation, because the people behind the counter usually know about video games and know that despite the game may have a kiddy box art it is actually a really good game. But when I go to a super market or any other non game specific shop the people behind the counter usually do not have a bunch of video game know it all. Also the people waiting in line behind you and around the shop is filled with people who are like "Dude pink is a girls colour!", so I often do not buy games like that in those shops. I have put back Pokemon games and travelled all the way to a GAME just to buy it because I already get the "Hey gay boy" so I don't really need the Pokemon game sticking out too.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

No. I don't give a shit what anyone might think of me when I buy a game at a store. The woman at the EB Games I regularly shop to is pretty awesome about it too since she knows about these games more than their cover, so she'd rather give you a hands up for buying a game like Catherine rather than glare at you.

#3 Posted by supermike6 (3586 posts) -

@Hizang said:

this is a hard cold fact.

For some reason it sounds dirty when you switch the words around like that.

As for the question, Nope!

#4 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Err...no...not really. Hmm. I guess I don't buy games that would be 'werid' I mean if I had a Wii I would totally get Kirby.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Nope.

Purchased in person without even making any lame "It's for a niece" excuses.

I even wrote a review of that game.

#6 Posted by musclerider (590 posts) -

It was pretty weird when I bought Catherine since the cashier was one of my non-gaming friends.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Hailinel: I commend you good sir.

#8 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I haven't really purchased too many games with "cute" covers myself now that I think about it.  I bought GTA IV at Target and the cashier was some old guy who kept looking at the cover and sighing which was kind of weird though.

#9 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Yeah sometimes. If I ever bought an overrated FPS on a console I'd make sure to buy it online to avoid the inevitable dudebro conversation with the cashier.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

I haven't really purchased too many games with "cute" covers myself now that I think about it. I bought GTA IV at Target and the cashier was some old guy who kept looking at the cover and sighing which was kind of weird though.

Maybe he was pining for the days of his youth, when he rampaged through city streets, stealing cars at will while causing enough mayhem to summon the FBI.

I mean, there's nothing that says he wasn't thinking this.

#11 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

I only buy cool games... And, I harass the cashier til they throw me out (2 mins)

#12 Posted by Capum15 (4930 posts) -

Nope.

#13 Posted by ashogo (943 posts) -

Yes, I have been. I am too self-aware about things like this, unfortunately.

#14 Posted by Portis (1288 posts) -

Nah. The weird smirk the cashier at Gamestop gave me when I was buying Viva Pinata made me feel a tad awkward, but whatever. I also vividly remember trading Viva Pinata back in after a year or so (to a Gamestop) and the guy working there letting out a not-so-subtle "...huh" when I handed it to him.

#15 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

I had no such qualms buying Kirby's Epic Yarn. I would only feel embarassed if I bought a game I knew was bad.

Saints Row 2 was my last shameful purchase.

I had completely forgotten about Super Princess Peach. Thanks for the reminder.

#16 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

If it came down to that, I'd just buy it online. I will say I've never rented Tomb Raider because I don't want to look like a pervert or something. I was a little ashamed to knowingly get Viva Pinata for Christmas and have to unwrap it in front of everybody, but I justified it because it was made by Rare. Too bad I ended up hating the game anyway. I think a lot of times my bro questions my choices, but considering he only plays sports games and Call of Duty, he doesn't understand.

I did have no shame renting Kirby's Epic Yarn, though. Kirby's a bad ass. Everybody knows it.

#17 Posted by Little_Socrates (5683 posts) -

Nope, around the same time I stopped being embarrassed about buying condoms from people I know or are really old. They work at Walgreens. They get it all day.

#18 Posted by SSully (4234 posts) -

I usually get everything off steam, or shipped from amazing, so I dont really have this problem. The last game I bought in the store was Assassians Creed brotherhood and it was far from embarresing. I actually talked to the guy about the game because he liked the first one, but never played the second. Poor guy was missing out big time.

#19 Posted by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

I buy 95% of my games online, so I don't really worry about that.

But I don't think I would be embarassed about anything other than if I bought something like Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, which I wouldn't.

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (12095 posts) -

Gabe Newell does not judge.

Also, I borrowed Super Princess Peach off of a friend a while back, it was actually pretty good :o

#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

no, i don't think i have felt anything like that from buying a game. i did feel weird buying a video game at the mall once. girl from school saw me coming out of eb games. it was in middle school at the time.

#22 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@iam3green said:

no, i don't think i have felt anything like that from buying a game. i did feel weird buying a video game at the mall once. girl from school saw me coming out of eb games. it was in middle school at the time.

HAHAHA. I bought CoD 4 - 5 minutes after it arrived at the store. I missed my morning college class, went home and missed the whole afternoon. Fell asleep eating chips and sour cream dip. Woke up covered in dip, changed went to school, got my gf and went home - forgot about the dip. It was the first time she had come over.

#23 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Nopers. Maybe a little when I tried to pick up 50 Cent. Luckily, I had left my ID at home and wasn't able to get it. I might have been a touch on the sneaky side with that game. v.v

#24 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

Not really.

#25 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Nope.

But you are the audience for that type of game.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: Jealous?

#27 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Not really. I don't need to simulate dating.

#28 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hailinel said:

Sure about that Seriouslynow? You should hear the way he and his star wars buddies are defending the virtual relationships you can have with your NPC companions in The Old Republic. I compared it to "love dolls" and they went ape shit. Nerds.

#29 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hailinel said:

Sure about that Seriouslynow? You should hear the way he and his star wars buddies are defending the virtual relationships you can have with your NPC companions in The Old Republic. I compared it to "love dolls" and they went ape shit. Nerds...

Hal, incase you didn't get the memo, we think Hitman is back. :/

#30 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

Eh, no shame. I used to buy games from the local blockbuster, and they knew I'd rent or buy literally any kind of game, no one ever bought it up when I bought some sillier shit. Though I was actually legitimately embarrased to rent Sonic Air Riders for Kinect. My friend reaaaally wanted to try it, and I had a free rental, but still.

So there you go, I'm not embarrassed to buy a game unless it's a sonic game. But that's embarrassment related to having bad tastes, and not so much that it's a kid's game.

#31 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Buzzkill said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hailinel said:

Sure about that Seriouslynow? You should hear the way he and his star wars buddies are defending the virtual relationships you can have with your NPC companions in The Old Republic. I compared it to "love dolls" and they went ape shit. Nerds...

Can you provide some background on this individual and how badly they tormented you to remain this paranoid? I'd just like to see if there's even a semblance of comparison other than your chicken little routine of running around calling various people you disagree with by that individual's name.

#32 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Nope, but I mainly order games online.. usually get them before release that way, plus I live in a town where no where really stocks many games.

#33 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

If the cashier wasn't super stoked about Catherine I might have, but he was more excited than I was.

But Lollipop Chainsaw may have to be an online purchase. I can only imagine the cover art.

#34 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1810 posts) -

@Hailinel: This is not a good example, it says "Serious Fun" right on the cover. You walk up to a counter with that and people get out of your way because they know you're serious about fun.

#35 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

I do for about 3 seconds...then I get over it.

#36 Posted by Swoxx (3003 posts) -
Never.
#37 Posted by ShockD (2410 posts) -

Not really, I don't.

#38 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Buzzkill said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hailinel said:

Can you provide some background on this individual and how badly they tormented you to remain this paranoid? I'd just like to see if there's even a semblance of comparison other than your chicken little routine of running around calling various people you disagree with by that individual's name.

I'm not the only person who's asked you if you're Hitman. I'm not scared of anyone, your personality reminds people of Hitman.

#39 Posted by DarkShaper (1341 posts) -

Not yet, but I will probably feel kinda creepy when I get around to buying Catherine.

#40 Posted by MatPaget (1121 posts) -

I brought up Def Jam Rapstar to the counter and asked for two microphones wif' it. The cashier started dissin' me, so I challenged him to a battle.

5 minutes later, I'm wit' his girl while he masturbates. No one disses my skillz.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Buzzkill said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Buzzkill said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hailinel said:

I'm not the only person who's asked you if you're Hitman. I'm not scared of anyone, your personality reminds people of Hitman.

I'm pretty sure that Buzzkill has been around since long before Hitman got himself banned.

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@Hailinel: This is not a good example, it says "Serious Fun" right on the cover. You walk up to a counter with that and people get out of your way because they know you're serious about fun.

Excellent point.

#42 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

I once told the guy behind the counter that the copy of DOAX2 I was buying was a gag gift for a friend. It was true, mind you, but I'm not sure if he believed me.

Otherwise, I feel no reason to justify my purchases to anyone, especially not the snarkmeisters that seem to haunt my local game stores. Was I this close to purchasing a copy of Final Fantasy X-2 for the Lulz/Blog last weekend? Yes. Yes I was.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Was I this close to purchasing a copy of Final Fantasy X-2 for the Lulz/Blog last weekend? Yes. Yes I was.

That game made me want to snap the disc in half after five hours of play before it completely drained my soul and will to live.

It's terrible, is what I am saying.

#44 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

I saw a copy of DOA Xtreme 2 for real cheap in a bargain bin once. Part of me wanted to buy it just kinda for shits and giggles i guess? But i didn't end up doing it, I wouldn't be able to look the lady at the cash register in the eye.

#45 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

i wonder how many stares the people in japan buying rapeplay get.

only game that made me feel that way was kingdom hearts 2 and that was because i got it at target and was an adolescent. if your over 25 most people will assume its for your kid/relatives

#46 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Was I this close to purchasing a copy of Final Fantasy X-2 for the Lulz/Blog last weekend? Yes. Yes I was.

That game made me want to snap the disc in half after five hours of play before it completely drained my soul and will to live.

It's terrible, is what I am saying.

So basically, I'll love it then? Because a fanservice-heavy, J-pop infused Final Fantasy game with a Job system resembling that of FFV sounds like both an ironic and genuine pleasure for me, being that I would go into this game with only a basic knowledge of what happened in Final Fantasy X and the assumption that I probably wouldn't like FFX if I played it.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: Perhaps, although not event hat is guaranteed.

#48 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Nope.

I'm too taken aback to even make a good snarky comment. Never change, Hailinel; I enjoy you too much.

#49 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1810 posts) -

I will say I was embarrassed when I bought the Christmas Indie Kid's Pack off of Steam last year. I will probably never play Secret of the Magic Crystal.

#50 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

Only sometimes.