#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

#2 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Huh? You mean pre-PURCHASE? I've pre-order a lot of games online but I only pay when they're dispatched.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

So I ended up ordering MK for Vita on the Best Buy site because if you pre-order in full with them you get $5 off and I know that I want to get the game day 1. I usually never pay in full when I pre-order unless I get something out of it or I want to get it out of the way so I can properly organize my finances for the upcoming months.

#4 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I only pre-order games I know I want so normally I do. If anything I can just get my money back for the pre-order so w/e.

#5 Posted by bslayer (222 posts) -

I prefer to, but since I don't really go to Game Stop anymore (not for any particular reason), I instead just drop the 5 bucks and pay the rest when I pick it up. But man, it's always nice to just go there and not pay shit!

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@zyn: Well yes online the term is usually pre-purchase since you are essentially giving the site permission to charge you for the product once it ships but when you pre-order from like a Gamestop and give them $60 it's still called a pre-order on the receipt, at least where I live.

#7 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Rarely I'll pre-purchase a game on Steam if I know 100% I want it. I don't pre-order games other than that, shops and Amazon never really run out of copies.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11820 posts) -

Yeah, I've pre-ordered games in full. I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 in full. I did the same for Halo Reach, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and... something else.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14677 posts) -

yep; well I did it for devil survivor 2 at any rate

#10 Edited by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@bslayer: Yeah it does feel really good doing that. Walk in, flash the receipt, take the game and walk out. In and out in under a minute.

#11 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

I use to, but one time my pre order reservation got mixed up, & game stop said they had no record of the transaction. It took me over a month to clear it up, but I got my money back. Since then, I only put down $20, because if it happens again, I'll just eat the $20 instead off putting up with the same runaround.

#12 Edited by Branwulf (403 posts) -

I prepurchase stuff on steam all the time. If it's a console game I'll pre-order off amazon, but you don't get charged until release, people that go to games stores amuse me, how quaint. Clearly i'm not the only one as GAME is basically dead over here, good riddance.

#13 Posted by Dixavd (1354 posts) -

I pre-order all the time - I don't know about America but here in the UK they only take the money out of the account on the day they dispatch it - they don't even take deposits. So technically I don't actually transfer money until at earliest 3 days before release day.

#14 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Yeah, sometimes. FFXIII-2 was the last game I pre-ordered.

#15 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Only if I really want a game, I think I've only done it 3 times this entire generation. Honestly I buy most of my games once they've gone down in price, backlog is big enough as is.

#16 Posted by DriveupLife (913 posts) -

The last time i did that was for Ocarina of Time because I had saved up enough money from mowing lawns specifically for buying the game. Like a BOSS.

#17 Edited by JacDG (2121 posts) -

90% of the time, yes. So I guess around 6 or 7 times a year, and the ones I don't do it with is usually because they are "old".

#18 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

I'm too cheap to buy games at launch. I'll at least wait for reviews. Games are expensive, and I don't like buying broken, unfinished shit.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (4134 posts) -

I have only ever paid in full when doing a preorder. I also generally only preorder a game a week before it is released. Sometimes you get fucked over though, like when the US dollar took a shit and exchange rates changed the price I paid early was higher than the release day price.

#20 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

Never felt so strongly about a game to guarantee 1st-day ownership. I want to know what the gaming public thinks about a game first, pre-release reviews don't do it for me.

#21 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

I do it all the time since I only play on the PC and buy everything digital. Might as well pre-purchase if I'm sure about a game and pre-load.

#22 Posted by Zidd (1843 posts) -

Amazon only charges when the order ships so no

#23 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

I never pre-order my games, I tend to be a very patient person when it comes to getting them. :D

The one and only game I ever pre-ordered was Homeworld 2.

..... And it turned out to be a major letdown. This may explain why that was the first and last time I ever pre-ordered a game. :P

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

Amazon don't take any money 'til they ship it. And I'll generally take advantage of a steam pre-purchase the day before the game is out, so I guess then, but I don't often do that.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Sometimes. Don't know what makes me do it, but I'll do it, sometimes.

#26 Posted by Redbullet685 (6036 posts) -

I have not.

#27 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

When I used to pre-order games, I would always pay in full. I haven't pre-orderd a game in ages, and I am a better person for it.

#28 Posted by SSully (4169 posts) -

Very rarely. I prepurchased the orange box, and deus ex on steam. Besides that I cannot think of many games that I payed outright for.

#29 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I'd be willing to do that for a digital game, I guess.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14421 posts) -

I do it on Steam if I have the money now and I know I'm going to want the game so I can start pre-loading ASAP, but it's been a while since there was a brand new game I couldn't wait to get. I don't buy console games new any more because it's too much of a hassle driving into the city to pick them up and not worth the extra price in gas to go out of my way to pick them up. Ordering them online is pointless since they don't show up until a good week or so past the release date. If I have to wait that long I will just wait for it to go on sale for $20-$30. Plus, I can't remember the last time I was really excited for a console only game that I was willing to buy it at full price.

Living in the far flung future of 2-3 years ago with Steam and Digital Distribution has spoiled me.

#31 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Amazon doesn't charge me until it ships so, I dunno. Yeah I guess.

#32 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

When I am buying online I do, with Steam or Origin or something. But If I preorder at GameStop or BestBuy or something I just put down the five bucks and leave.

#33 Posted by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

If you pre-order on Steam, you have to pay the whole price up front. At least, that's what happened to me with Darksiders 2. So, yeah. Sometimes.

#34 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

Yeah, sometimes. FFXIII-2 was the last game I pre-ordered.

Same.

#35 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

I only do the minimum. If the game ends up flopping hard (most recently Operation Raccoon City) and I need to cancel the pre-order after release, I don't want $65 in store credit waiting to be used.

#36 Posted by Raven10 (1769 posts) -

I don't preorder games in any way. I have low faith in humanity. I'd rather wait and let some other people play it first and then decide if it is worth full price a week later. Maybe I'll miss out on some stupid weapon or something, but so far I haven't felt like I missed out on a huge deal.

#37 Posted by Humanity (9076 posts) -

I did mostly because I knew a guy that worked at the Gamestop so if I paid it off in full then if they had a midnight launch I could come earlier and he would just give the game to me. Who wants to stand around until midnight in front of a Gamestop?